2020 TaylorMade SIM and SIM Max drivers (in hand photos, M5/M6 comparison pics)

GolfWRX

My SIM Max showed up today.  Will put it into play tomorrow. 12* turned down 1.5* to play open.  Going to use my go to shaft Tensei Pro Blue 60 stiff.  Plays 45"  Cant wait to see if this this launches higher than my Tour Issue M4, which I love.  The on course test tomorrow.  Cant wait.  72* and Sunny in Texas first day of February.  :)

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x. 

Got nothing to hide, haha, have some more data from the Mavrik. I draw the ball with the driver, but rarely over-draw or hook it, miss is when im too far from the inside and get stuck and leave the face wide open, big high spinny cuts when that happens. But shorter length (44.25-44.5"), and better driver heads are starting to help me eliminate that.

GY1NEXEH80D5.png

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Ok guys. Launch monitor comparison...M5 vs SIM...head to head.

Got nice and loose. Hit 6 balls with each and didn't take a single shot out for each. Same shaft in each, my 125msi rogue silver gamer.

M5 dispersion and data

6BWHQNM4EPQR.jpg

SSX3VKXTDSD0.jpgThen SIM dispersion and data

EA2O1W5KKNWO.jpg

XQRQTX20DFC5.jpgHere's my SIM setup. 9.0 in standard loft. Bought an extra 4g weight to bring swingweight up. I'll post again later with what I saw from 2 weights in various settings. 4g weight is in center. 10g all the way in the toe.

ZNPBMNJORXYD.jpg

Worth the upgrade?

• Like 1

Only you can decide if it is worth it. But the numbers are dispersion are all there.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Well, Aint I a dummy.. hahaha.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

SIM Driver and Sim Max Hybrid came in today. Hzrdus Green 70 in driver and Smoke black 90 in hybrid both ordered -1/4”. Supposed to be D5 and D3, Came in D1.5 and barely D1. Clearly TM is still not caring about SW. This is with standard size grips and I normally play Midsize which will only make it worse. Disappointing.

• Like 1

As consistent I found the M5, 35 feet give or take tighter pattern, that’s pretty substantial. My only thought would be, like with my 410, I put weight in draw can still predict but M5, I had to move both to draw and could almost count on straight/ slight fade, much tighter than ping. Did you try M5 weights any other setting?

Yep. Saw it when I demo'd. M5 was a great driver for consistency and launch/spin combination. But I went to m5 from m4 and saw a big dropoff in ballspeed. Always bothered me, especially for a driver that was supposed to be dialed down from non-conforming. I was really looking forward to hitting sim because I figured they'd be a release better on the injected face thing. First time I've ever bought on initial release.

On course test coming and that's always a different story than launch monitor output. But it looks very, very promising. I have really posted good scores since going to m5...so many more fairways. But if SIM gives me one less club in and better chance at par 5 2nd shots while giving me fairways like m5 then I could see sub 70 a lot this year.

I tested m3 head to head against m5 and the m3 hav better ballspeeds but the spin consistency was terrible. At the time I was spinning m5 between 2200 and 2500 on every shot. M3 was between 1900 and 3000. M3 was good on center and upper toe side of center strikes. But spin was all over the place otherwise. Great thing about m5 was the reduction in spin fluctuations. They appear to have carried that over to SIM and got faster.

I really hope this thing performs on the course like it did on the simulator.

I hear so many fitters saying the M2 was the best driver they’ve ever made I’ve hit it one time and actually I liked it. This guy said he could not hit it and he let me hit it and once he saw me hit it he wouldn’t sell it LOL, he was ready but once he knew was the Indian and not the arrow, changed mind.

Posted this in the Equipment forum as it's own thread because I think guys will want to do this. But said I'd post here so here's what I recall from testing an additional weight in the SIM front track...

?default=https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6024507%2Fuploads%2Fdefaultavatar%2FFGOZT91RSXGA.jpg&rating=g&size=200

?default=https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6024507%2Fuploads%2Fdefaultavatar%2FFGOZT91RSXGA.jpg&rating=g&size=200

Preface...I play drivers at 45" and play a 125msi rogue silver with a mcc+4 grip. Drivers always come out light and I usually have to add right at 2 sw points. Usually in lead tape.

I demo'd SIM a few weeks ago and added lead tape during the demo. I ordered after the demo. The driver was really good. However, with SIM and SIM MAX I saw a tendency for the clubface to be closed to path at impact. I put the lead tape on the toe side of the big weight port thing and put the front weight halfway toward the toe. That helped impart fade spin on the ball and I saw mostly dead straight shots during the demo. I figured more weight in the front track would help slow that face rotation. I also needed 4g for sw, so I ordered a 4g M5 weight. Picked up my SIM today and hit it to find the right combo of the two weights. I figured I'd end up with the heavy weight in the toe. Just wasn't sure where the lighter weight would go.

Putting another weight in the track is a bit tricky. You have to take the weight apart and put the bottom.piece in first and then screw it together. You also have to enter from toe side.

To start I had the 10g weight in the center and the 4g weight in the toe. RESULT: left bias. Didn't really see a big drop in launch or spin. The 4g weight in the toe didn't do much to reduce the left bias.

Next I moved the 10g weight all the way into the heel and 4g weight in toe. RESULT: straighter than 10g in center but still a left bias. Shouldn't be surprising since the gear effect would be reduced by spreading the weights. Can't recall what, if any, changes in launch and spin.

Since I'm a fader the next natural progression was to take both weights out and put the 4g in first. So I moved to 4g in center and 10g in toe. RESULT: awesomeness. 10g in toe helped impart fade sidespin but the 4g in center helped it not be too much. This is likely where I'll leave things and was the setting for most of the rest of my testing.

But I did try 4g all the way in heel and 10g in toe. Can't remember exactly why this didn't end up better than I thought it would. I think the 4g in the heel allowed a touch of left in a couple shots where the 4g in center with 10g in toe helped me produce a constant controlled fade. I will try this setting on the range to see what happens.

So, for those of you who remember playing the OG M1 fairway and you split the weights, well, this is very similar. So if you need to add weight to your SIM then try this route. M5 weight fits and I got mine from monark for $8 plus shipping

And it is, thanks for that. With all the talk about swing weight, how far off should I expect this club to be? I play a golf pride MCC+4 if that helps. It’ll be a while before I can go get it checked

Really appreciate all the tips around here. I’m in Illinois, so there’s nothing to do but hit the simulator and obsess about equipment for at least another 2 months