2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

17 hours ago, Lobber said:

Placed a custom order for the 425 Max with Ventus on Jan 12.  Was told it will ship on Feb 9th which is 5 days after the release.  Kind of irritating that preorders will ship after it’s available at retail. How hard is it to put a tip on a Ventus and screw it on the head?

When there are 10's of 1000's of custom orders, it takes time.  It's not like Willy Wonka works there.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

That would be really impressive if the weight changes didn’t move MOI. 

According to ping, adjusting the sole weight makes a negligible difference. You really need a weight shift from one side to the other for 5g to make a difference, like from extreme back to face or extreme heel to toe.  Taking or adding a few grams in the same place, a la sole weight, is not going to affect much but will fine tune the swingweight...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

1 hour ago, Deuce78 said:

According to ping, adjusting the sole weight makes a negligible difference. You really need a weight shift from one side to the other for 5g to make a difference, like from extreme back to face or extreme heel to toe.  Taking or adding a few grams in the same place, a la sole weight, is not going to affect much but will fine tune the swingweight...

Oh. I thought the only place we were talking about was the 26gr shift weight located in the rear. I didn’t know there was a sole weight. 

31 minutes ago, Lobber said:

It may but I maintain it's not that hard to put an adaptor on a custom shaft, cut to length, grip it, attach it and ship it

Not trying to be a smartazz here but I know a guy that called Ping a year or so ago complaining about ship times with that same rationale.  Their response was that they build them in the order that the orders are received not by which orders are the easiest or most or least time consuming to complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

2 hours ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

Oh. I thought the only place we were talking about was the 26gr shift weight located in the rear. I didn’t know there was a sole weight. 

Same weight my friend!  There's just the one.  Just it's not always 26gr.  It's the icing on the cake when building a club...

1 hour ago, vernon said:

Not trying to be a smartazz here but I know a guy that called Ping a year or so ago complaining about ship times with that same rationale.  Their response was that they build them in the order that the orders are received not by which orders are the easiest or most or least time consuming to complete.

I believe ping builds their initial big box retail orders before taking in custom orders.  So if they have higher volume of initial retail orders than expected, it impacts the processing and build time of the custom orders and additional retail orders.  I am sure there is a ton of orders in due to the ship dates.  Plus it's covid...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

9 hours ago, Deuce78 said:

The stock headweight in g400max is 206g.  Nearly the same as 425 at 208g.  So your build would be nearly identical in the 425.  90% of golfers dont know what swingweight is and they cannot distinguish the difference of 1 swingweight point.  Ping has engineered the heads with changeable weights for a reason, for fitting, and I was told even as weights are adjusted the moi is still at a maximum and wont affect performance.

Perhaps I'm wrong (it happens), but I thought the G400 was 198g with the 7g head weight.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

2 hours ago, Deuce78 said:

Same weight my friend!  There's just the one.  Just it's not always 26gr.  It's the icing on the cake when building a club...

I believe ping builds their initial big box retail orders before taking in custom orders.  So if they have higher volume of initial retail orders than expected, it impacts the processing and build time of the custom orders and additional retail orders.  I am sure there is a ton of orders in due to the ship dates.  Plus it's covid...

IMO I don’t buy it. Changing the weight in the rear from a 26 to a 16 would change MOI. 

All of these manufacturers move small weights around incrementally to change the percentage of draw, fade, launch and spin. 

All of those movements change launch conditions from delivery and weight is a major factor when swinging an object and factoring MOI and COG. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

IMO I don’t buy it. Changing the weight in the rear from a 26 to a 16 would change MOI. 

All of these manufacturers move small weights around incrementally to change the percentage of draw, fade, launch and spin. 

All of those movements change launch conditions from delivery and weight is a major factor when swinging an object and factoring MOI and COG. 

Of course yes but talking extremely small changes very minimal.  There is a big difference between reducing the weight at spot A, versus moving the weight from spot A to spot B.  Additionally just loosing 10g is 5 swingweight points (a lot) and that would change delivery (and speed, and dynamic loft, and launch, and spin) more than the moi and cg would change delivery from a static weight drop of 10g.  Are you trying to accomplish something specific?

• Thanks 1

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

2 hours ago, Tdsjfb said:

Perhaps I'm wrong (it happens), but I thought the G400 was 198g with the 7g head weight.

From pings site...👍

Screenshot_20210129-201847_Chrome.jpg

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

6 hours ago, vernon said:

Fair enough and at the end of the day Feb 9 is only 4 days after the launch.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, easyyy said:

Thanks for the review.

I hit the 425 Max 9.0 45.25" D3 w/ Tensei Orange 65 stiff tipped 1/2" today. Looks like a superstar after my session. The misses were better than misses from other heads and the ball speeds and lower spin for the Max is very impressive.  I was killing it and the spin was a surprise. Spun lower than I expected and I loved the feel and sound. I didn't hear anything that would be noticed on the course. Cannon and cant wait to test it against the TSi3.

The stability makes for confidence and the smash/ball speeds are awesome. 

IMG_5009.jpeg

Man, those spin numbers are pretty great for a super forgiving head. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 minute ago, radiman said:

Man, those spin numbers are pretty great for a super forgiving head. 

I know. I was surprised as well and not expecting it. That is why the distance is so good. 

I would have save the grouping so you could see averages but the computer froze and I lost the whole session. Snapped that pic to text my boys about the Max low spin. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, easyyy said:

I know. I was surprised as well and not expecting it. That is why the distance is so good. 

I would have save the grouping so you could see averages but the computer froze and I lost the whole session. Snapped that pic to text my boys about the Max low spin. Crazy.

Man, posts like this are killing me. Possibly the best of both worlds with this one. 

• Like 2

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 minute ago, radiman said:

Man, posts like this are killing me. Possibly the best of both worlds with this one. 

After watching all the video reviews I lost a little hope. Glad I brought one in. I was shock and to your point best of both worlds. Stability, lower spin high ball speeds??? Holy grail type stuff there. Might be the gamer shaft CK Orange Tipped. So much fun to hit. The TSi3 has a challenger. Both are crazy IMHGO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, easyyy said:

After watching all the video reviews I lost a little hope. Glad I brought one in. I was shock and to your point best of both worlds. Stability, lower spin high ball speeds??? Holy grail type stuff there. Might be the gamer shaft CK Orange Tipped. So much fun to hit. The TSi3 has a challenger. Both are crazy IMHGO.

I don’t feel like it’s underperformed by any means in the videos I’ve watched. It would perform beautifully for some and be average for others. I think once preorders start getting in users hands we’ll have a better idea. Mine included. I preordered just to flip the script after many years of “low spin bombers” hoping to hit more fairways. All this talk of forgiveness + low spin has me antsy to see what it can do vs the Epic Max LS. 

• Like 1

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

13 minutes ago, radiman said:

I don’t feel like it’s underperformed by any means in the videos I’ve watched. It would perform beautifully for some and be average for others. I think once preorders start getting in users hands we’ll have a better idea. Mine included. I preordered just to flip the script after many years of “low spin bombers” hoping to hit more fairways. All this talk of forgiveness + low spin has me antsy to see what it can do vs the Epic Max LS. 

Ok... I would agree that they didn't underperform but they didn't suggest it was much better than the field. I felt differently. I felt the added stability makes it a unique bird. Visually it looks forgiving as well and that is better in my book. Just looks like you can go harder with it and it will hold the line. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, easyyy said:

Ok... I would agree that they didn't underperform but they didn't suggest it was much better than the field. I felt differently. I felt the added stability makes it a unique bird. Visually it looks forgiving as well and that is better in my book. Just looks like you can go harder with it and it will hold the line. 

Exactly what I was hoping for. You’re right it looks very confidence inspiring. I’ve stayed away from most ultra forgiving models because the face is usually kind of closed and they’re typically draw biased.  This one is really neutral to my eye. It just looks perfect. 

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 hour ago, easyyy said:

Ooohhhh man! Great feedback on the G425 MAX. I was really leaning towards it (without hitting it yet) but I'm also hoping to hit it against the Epic Max LS to see what happens. 

RIDE 

2 hours ago, easyyy said:

Thanks for the review.

I hit the 425 Max 9.0 45.25" D3 w/ Tensei Orange 65 stiff tipped 1/2" today. Looks like a superstar after my session. The misses were better than misses from other heads and the ball speeds and lower spin for the Max is very impressive.  I was killing it and the spin was a surprise. Spun lower than I expected and I loved the feel and sound. I didn't hear anything that would be noticed on the course. Cannon and cant wait to test it against the TSi3.

Thanks.  Glad to hear from someone who can refute all the noise coming from those with the delicate ears.

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 4

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

In the standard configuration (standard length w/ Tour 65 Stiff Shaft), what weight (Head Weight) does Ping use in the 10.5 Degree head?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Admittedly I haven't watched every review video out there, but I'm a little confused on the talk of underperforming. Rick Shiels says G425 Max is "straightest, most forgiving driver he has ever hit." Not sure it gets much better than that! Especially when ball speeds seem pretty much maxed out across the industry.

On a separate note, I've only tested the G425 LST 3w so far. Man, that thing was solid and hot! A big "thwack", rocketed off the face, looked great behind the ball. Keep it going, Ping!

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

My new home course is tree lined from tee to green on every hole, and tight. Even small misses and you are in jail, pitching out. You absolutely must drive it straight. I would take 15-25 yards less for "straightest, most forgiving driver ever", not that G425 Max is even close to that much shorter than anything out there. I have no idea how much "shorter" it might be than the "longest" driver out there (2 yards, lol?), but it would seriously have to be 30 yards shorter for me to care.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

12 hours ago, easyyy said:

Thanks for the review.

IMG_5009.jpeg

Easy, I think you need to work on that "path"🤣. So I got 2.2MPH more with the TSI3 compared to max BUT misses were not even close for me. The 425 MAX IMO is maybe the best over all driver ever made? It is kicking the 400 LST out.

• Like 2

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

39 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Admittedly I haven't watched every review video out there, but I'm a little confused on the talk of underperforming. Rick Shiels says G425 Max is "straightest, most forgiving driver he has ever hit." Not sure it gets much better than that! Especially when ball speeds seem pretty much maxed out across the industry.

On a separate note, I've only tested the G425 LST 3w so far. Man, that thing was solid and hot! A big "thwack", rocketed off the face, looked great behind the ball. Keep it going, Ping!

I watched Shiel's video.  He also found that there was minimal difference in spin and ball speed between the two.  In fact the Max spun a bit less than the LST if I remember correctly.  Mine is on order with Ventus Red and I cant wait.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, easyyy said:

I would imagine your +2 attack angle has something to do with that. I often wonder when I read about guys complaining about being a high spin player or a driver creating too much spin what there attack angle number are. I’m going to a fitting next Friday and the G425s are going to get a shot. 

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

4 hours ago, Lobber said:

I watched Shiel's video.  He also found that there was minimal difference in spin and ball speed between the two.  In fact the Max spun a bit less than the LST if I remember correctly.  Mine is on order with Ventus Red and I cant wait.

Not saying he’s wrong or even that most people will get the same or better performance out of the MAX than they would get out of the LST, but-

For me the MAX was a little too high, and a little too spinny compared to the LST. It wasn’t a ton, but enough. I went in to my fitting dead set on the MAX or one of the Callaways, and just couldn’t make the case for anything but the LST