Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

I swear the demo heads I’ve hit have been like 208g. My 410LST is 204 and the 425 series was noticeably heavier. That head and the 70g Rogue shaft felt like swinging a sledgehammer (and I like a bit of a heavier setup). 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

1 hour ago, endy said:

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out for everyone. There are a couple of shipping containers with all new 425 gear sitting at the bottom of the ocean, unless they have already been fished out. Major hiccup for Ping's release. 

I heard about that, hope they aren't delayed I already pre-ordered the Max Driver 3 Wood,  and  3 hybrid.

• Like 1

Anyone know the MOI number on the 410LST?

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

2 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

I heard about that, hope they aren't delayed I already pre-ordered the Max Driver 3 Wood,  and  3 hybrid.

LST is the better driver choice based on sound and feel. Surprised to see 90% Ping staffers also have gone that route.

myself - I’m in on the Max Fairway with some hot melt and also the hybrid 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

5100 +/- based on another golf site.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

5 hours ago, endy said:

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out for everyone. There are a couple of shipping containers with all new 425 gear sitting at the bottom of the ocean, unless they have already been fished out. Major hiccup for Ping's release. 

I heard that. It was like 8000 heads all at the bottom of the pacific.. Ping has had a rough last 12-15 months.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

10 minutes ago, GarretG said:

Wow, that’s awesome to hear

I honestly don't know what most other OEM's have for MOI on theirs.  It's about half of the Max so I don't know if that means the LST is unforgiving or if the max is just that ridiculously forgiving, lol.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

4 minutes ago, radiman said:

I honestly don't know what most other OEM's have for MOI on theirs.  It's about half of the Max so I don't know if that means the LST is unforgiving or if the max is just that ridiculously forgiving, lol.

Oh lol true. I would guess standard is around 5000. But the max is definitely extremely high!

1 hour ago, radiman said:

5100 +/- based on another golf site.

Wow, that is significantly lower than I anticipated as I’ve felt like it has been quite forgiving since being in the bag. I had seen somewhere the Epic Max LS was around 8,500 which I feel is super high given how low spin it seems to be.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

1 hour ago, radiman said:

55 minutes ago, GarretG said:

Oh lol true. I would guess standard is around 5000. But the max is definitely extremely high!

25 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Wow, that is significantly lower than I anticipated as I’ve felt like it has been quite forgiving since being in the bag. I had seen somewhere the Epic Max LS was around 8,500 which I feel is super high given how low spin it seems to be.

There are two measurments of MOI, one on the horizontal axis and one on the vertical axis respectively.  The numbers you see floating around like 8500 are referring to the added total of both measurements.  When you see 5000, that is referring to just the horizontal number probably,  so you can't compare the two. I think the limit by the USGA for horizontal is 6000.  The G425 Max is said to be pushing 10,000 total which is the highest known to exist so far.  The LST would be around 5000 horizontal and probably high 8k range total I would guess. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, runningblind11 said:

There are two measurments of MOI, one on the horizontal axis and one on the vertical axis respectively.  The numbers you see floating around like 8500 are referring to the added total of both measurements.  When you see 5000, that is referring to just the horizontal number probably,  so you can't compare the two. I think the limit by the USGA for horizontal is 6000.  The G425 Max is said to be pushing 10,000 total which is the highest known to exist so far.  The LST would be around 5000 horizontal and probably high 8k range total I would guess. 

Wow. Never expected to learn this much about MOI today! Thanks @runningblind

5 hours ago, J-Zone said:

LST is the better driver choice based on sound and feel. Surprised to see 90% Ping staffers also have gone that route.

myself - I’m in on the Max Fairway with some hot melt and also the hybrid 

I played the SIM last year with the made for Taylormade Ventus Blue and the low spin was great for distance, but if you get any sidespin on the ball and you are missing the fairway.  Take a look PGA Tour's backspin stats.  I pulled 2020 to show a full season, but the average was 2,500 rpm.  I struggled to get more than 2,000 rpm with the SIM.

https://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02405.y2020.html

From the videos I've seen the Max found the fairway more than the LST.

1 hour ago, Titleist84 said:

I played the SIM last year with the made for Taylormade Ventus Blue and the low spin was great for distance, but if you get any sidespin on the ball and you are missing the fairway.  Take a look PGA Tour's backspin stats.  I pulled 2020 to show a full season, but the average was 2,500 rpm.  I struggled to get more than 2,000 rpm with the SIM.

https://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02405.y2020.html

From the videos I've seen the Max found the fairway more than the LST.

So there’s your answer. If it was that low spin (which it’s not) then pros would have gone to the Max for more playability.

Also, the sound is horrendous on MaxDriver without hot melt.

• Sad 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Titleist84 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't pay attention to driver sound?  I can't tell you what my SIM sounds like.  I'm too busy looking at where my ball goes, picking up tee, looking at launch monitor results,etc...

You are not the only one. Too each their own, but the sound of a driver could not matter less to me, personally. I would hit a driver that sounded like a cow mooing if it gave me the right performance. I hear so many people talk about sound though. I’ve just never cared. 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Titleist84 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't pay attention to driver sound?  I can't tell you what my SIM sounds like.  I'm too busy looking at where my ball goes, picking up tee, looking at launch monitor results,etc...

One thing I always wonder when people talk about sound is, are they hitting these drivers in a bay at Golf Galaxy with the max-fli rocks they provide. Sometimes people laugh but I always bring a sleeve of my pro v1x’s when I test anything. 

Edited by Tee1up4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sound matters. It’s one of the senses. Same way feel, or the way a club looks at address matters. There’s a reason the best players in the world would almost unanimously agree that, yes, both feel AND sound matter. 

• Like 1

PXG One & Done | Armlock

6 hours ago, runningblind11 said:

Thanks for the details. I knew the Epic Max LST was a measurement of vertical and horizontal, but was unaware of what the 5k number on the 410LST was in reference to, but your explanation makes plenty of sense. I’ve found the 410LST to be more than plenty forgiving for my use case. 

PXG One & Done | Armlock

10 hours ago, J-Zone said:

So there’s your answer. If it was that low spin (which it’s not) then pros would have gone to the Max for more playability.

I wouldn't put much emphasis on what the pros are playing.  They don't need the forgiveness.  

Everything I've seen on the LST so far has been less forgiving than the Max. Rick Shiels  was spraying the LST all over the place where the Max was consistently in the fairway.  While the average carry was the same, the LST had a much greater deviation between good strikes and bad ones.  Every other video I watched had similar conclusions. 

You are right about the spin though, not much difference between the Max and LST.  Which makes me wonder, why even call it Low Spin Technology?  

I went ahead and bought the clubs without trying them first due to covid, bought the stock Tensei Orange AV Raw in each club.  Once they come in I plan to rent a few shafts to see which ones fit me best.

Hope the LST works out for you and the Max works out for me.  Good news is we can always trade our clubs in and switxh to the other.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Seriously, let it go about the sound and the hot melt already! Every time I open this thread there is a comment from you talking about the sound or hot melt.

I've hit the whole line outside on a grass range with Pro V1's and it is nowhere as bad as you say it is. As others have mentioned above, I am too busy looking at ball flight and performance to notice sound. 

Try hitting the center of the club face, it sounds and feels better...

man do I ever miss it...😂 

7E64DBC0-73B1-4834-BF45-51156F6E4328.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, J-Zone said:

All the review videos I’ve seen have ended with the tester finding very similar spin between the Max and the LST. Some even lower with the Max and the same ball speed. However, you’re right about the tour guys. If the Max were really that stable and low spin I’d imagine we’d be seeing it in a few tour bags rather than all of them being the LST. 

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Seriously, let it go about the sound and the hot melt already! Every time I open this thread there is a comment from you talking about the sound or hot melt.

I've hit the whole line outside on a grass range with Pro V1's and it is nowhere as bad as you say it is. As others have mentioned above, I am too busy looking at ball flight and performance to notice sound. 

Try hitting the center of the club face, it sounds and feels better...

Haha how could that really bother you that much to warrant that response. It’s not that hard to scroll down and/or ignore it. 

• Haha 1

PXG One & Done | Armlock

22 hours ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Found the answer on another site. In a neutral setting the combined MOI is 8741, which makes complete sense based on my experience. Still think all of the 2021 big dogs are going to have a difficult time usurping the 410LST that’s currently in my bag, but we shall see on Feb 5 haha. 

PXG One & Done | Armlock

53 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

All the review videos I’ve seen have ended with the tester finding very similar spin between the Max and the LST. Some even lower with the Max and the same ball speed. However, you’re right about the tour guys. If the Max were really that stable and low spin I’d imagine we’d be seeing it in a few tour bags rather than all of them being the LST. 

so.....if I need spin...but also want fade bias.....

am I better to go Max or LST???

assume Toe weight in both

thanks

I hit Max and LST for a short time. The Max wanted to go left really badly, but was somewhat longer than the LST. The LST hit low but straight. Need to demo them again with a bit higher lofted setup for the LST.

Really liked the look of LST much better at address. Did not pay any attention or notice the sounds of either. 

3 hours ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Haha how could that really bother you that much to warrant that response. It’s not that hard to scroll down and/or ignore it. 

Because he's posted it 1-2x on every page for the last 10 pages. We get it, he doesn't like the sound yet he still bought one. 

8 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

Everything I've seen on the LST so far has been less forgiving than the Max. Rick Shiels  was spraying the LST all over the place where the Max was consistently in the fairway.  While the average carry was the same, the LST had a much greater deviation between good strikes and bad ones.  Every other video I watched had similar conclusions. 

You are right about the spin though, not much difference between the Max and LST.  Which makes me wonder, why even call it Low Spin Technology?  

I heard that Ping rebranded it as Less Straight Technology in the 425 line.

Only Cameron Champ and Sebastian Munoz using the Max out of their PGA tour  pro's, quite a lot more European tour guys using the Max (although the LST is still more popular, just not by as much)