2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

I am so tempted to order a G425 Max from Carl's.  The forgiveness of this club is really what I am after (been watching the reviews on it for days now).  I love the SIM and 0811X, both are long, but I really get penalized on bad days.  Hmm...

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

1 hour ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Just placed an order for a Max and LST. Sticking with the AV Raw orange in both but I requested the lowest loft available (paid the charge for digital lofting) and for the Max I ordered 4g hot melt front and center. Hopefully this will help with the sound issues everyone keeps mentioning. 

Also ordered each of them a bit long and D3 swing weight. Hopefully this will reduce the headweight a bit and make them more playable if I want to swap shafts. 

We will see how close the order ends up being!

How much do they charge for digital measurement?  Can they do face angle as well?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

How much do they charge for digital measurement?  Can they do face angle as well?

I was charged $15 for digital loft. I'm unaware of face angle being an option honestly

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

48 minutes ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

I was charged $15 for digital loft. I'm unaware of face angle being an option honestly

Oh, cool.  That's a pretty cheap option to ensure it's as close to spec as possible.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Is anyone else a little disappointed in 425 after hearing the reviews?  

It seems like they improved the looks and arguably a little tighter dispersion (maybe?), but sacrificed everything else,  ie. Sound, Distance, Ball Speed...

Every review I have seen has their 400max beating out the 425 Max/LST. 

I am curious to hear others thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

It seems like they improved the looks and arguably a little tighter dispersion (maybe?), but sacrificed everything else,  ie. Sound, Distance, Ball Speed...

I’m curious which reviews you’ve seen where the 400 is better than the 425 Max? 
On that note, I have yet to see a high speed review of the 425 series other that Alex Etches who found both the LST and Max to be huge performers at higher speeds. The Max looks like the spin numbers are almost identical and even sometimes lower than the LST this year which would make the Max the best driver ever in my eyes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

I havent seen this in the reviews I've seen.  From what I've seen is they've made marginal improvements to ball speed and dispersion (prob not sound) but havent seen a single review to say it was beat.  Please share if you have.

8 minutes ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

New clubs don't have the potential to be that much better. The 410 series was already pretty hyped and loved by tons. If you really expected the 425 series to be significantly better I would say you have unrealistic expectations. 

Be interesting to see what comes out no one has done a real fitted test vs the other top dogs.. I.e a fitted Ping vs a fitted TSi3.. TXG if your listening tomorrow please.. But Ping are PING they aren’t going to redesign and bring a totally new club out every year to sell more.. they look at the formula and make it better.. G410 won numerous awards because it gave so much.. Titleist and cobra have done the same with their lines made improvements to already good clubs..  I think when we get the reviews we have come to enjoy Ping will surprise after an always slow start.. for reference a 46” un counterbalanced shaft was never going to work could have cut an inch off live and rehit 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

1 hour ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

Not at all. I have now had 2 sessions and the 425 LST is longer, more forgiving on distance retention, and damn near as straight on misses as the 410+ I absolutely love and has taken my driving to a different level entirely.

I have had the 410+ since it came out and while I love her, she will be replaced. Currently the leader is the LST, but I’m brand agnostic so I’ll wait till the actual fitting.

Edited by GolfChannel

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

3 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

Not at all. I have now had 2 sessions and the 425 LST is longer, more forgiving on distance retention, and damn near as straight on misses as the 410+ I absolutely love and has taken my driving to a different level entirely.

I have had the 410+ since it came out and while I love her, she will be replaced. Currently the leader is the LST, but I’m brand agnostic so I’ll wait till the actual fitting.

I’ll take your word for it!  I am going to put the LST and Max in this years fitting. The Ping and Titleist lines interest me the most. 

I think it’s going to be close!

1 hour ago, philt90 said:

Be interesting to see what comes out no one has done a real fitted test vs the other top dogs.. I.e a fitted Ping vs a fitted TSi3.. TXG if your listening tomorrow please.. But Ping are PING they aren’t going to redesign and bring a totally new club out every year to sell more.. they look at the formula and make it better.. G410 won numerous awards because it gave so much.. Titleist and cobra have done the same with their lines made improvements to already good clubs..  I think when we get the reviews we have come to enjoy Ping will surprise after an always slow start.. for reference a 46” un counterbalanced shaft was never going to work could have cut an inch off live and rehit 

I love TXG and am most interested in them putting a well fitted Max/Tsi2 and LST/Tsi3 against each other. 

Edited by AtlantaGolf3
  • Like 4

I love TXG and am most interested in them putting well a fitted Max/Tsi2 and LST/Tsi3 against each other. 

Same. Either one of these would be great to see uploaded tomorrow now that they have the lefty heads! 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

I finally got to hit my G425 Max today. I have been playing the original G400 Max since it came out. 

I switched tips on the Tour AD VR6 that I was playing in the 400. Plays the exact same length in both heads. Had to add a little over 3 grams to the 425 to get to the same head weight as the 400. So everything is now exactly the same for me so there is no adjustment period.

it was outside on a windy day using crappy range balls, so no date but I will give you my first impressions.

Solid strikes feel much better to me than the 400. Also felt a little hotter. Slightly off the neck felt the exact same as the 400. Ball flight was similar but the 425 flattened out a little quicker for me and was really bouncing hard on the first bounce. Wind was blowing 15 left to right and it was still going dead straight unless I hit it off the neck.  Then it would cut a little bit not much. Seems to sit square to me. Sound is definitely more muted, but didn’t bother me at all.

Will get it on the course in the morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

I love TXG and am most interested in them putting a well fitted Max/Tsi2 and LST/Tsi3 against each other. 

Huge fail on Pings part not making sure TXG had what they needed for the release. I imagine they would rather be doing a real fit right now versus what they have done thus far with their content.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

9 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

Huge fail on Pings part not making sure TXG had what they needed for the release. I imagine they would rather be doing a real fit right now versus what they have done thus far with their content.

Yup they messed up quite a bit

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

42 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

Couldn’t agree more. I said this on the embargo end date, and the more I think of it the fact that they didn’t send  left handed heads is laughable. Particularly as you see other clubs over the last few months being delivered built to spec. Literally, companies/OEMs with a fraction of the footprint as Ping can get that right, I’m really not sure who botched this or if it was even considered a botch and they just didn’t really care. 

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I take all these Youtuber reviews with a grain of salt. They’re great for seeing numbers on an indoor LM but I’d put more stock into it if it was outside or course which happens once in a while. I was fell for the 770 hype machine and preordered and sold them after 9 holes. The reviews for the 410+ were great and I ordered blindly and hated everything about it on course. That said I’m gonna get a 425 LST blind while I’m recovering from ankle surgery lmao.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, gambit said:

I take all these Youtuber reviews with a grain of salt. They’re great for seeing numbers on an indoor LM but I’d put more stock into it if it was outside or course which happens once in a while. I was fell for the 770 hype machine and preordered and sold them after 9 holes. The reviews for the 410+ were great and I ordered blindly and hated everything about it on course. That said I’m gonna get a 425 LST blind while I’m recovering from ankle surgery lmao.

Hahaha sounds like you really learned your lesson. I won’t buy blindly anymore, but the YouTube videos help narrow my selections down. Numbers don’t mean much if it doesn’t please the eye and mind down by the ball.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

25 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Hahaha sounds like you really learned your lesson. I won’t buy blindly anymore, but the YouTube videos help narrow my selections down. Numbers don’t mean much if it doesn’t please the eye and mind down by the ball.

Videos definitely help get a sense of what you might like or dislike.  Youtubers got my heading spinning with new 425 line, apex 21s, 770s, tsi--I could go on and on.  

That said, my last blind purchase (410 lst 3wood) was probably one of the best golf purchases ever.  Love that thing.  Very tempted to order the 425 driver and 3wood blind...

6 hours ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

I’m curious where you’ve seen those reviews..? Also, we are pretty much at the point of being capped out with ball speed and drivers. I think you will start to see a shift with companies putting more emphasis on the dispersion/forgiveness of drivers versus producing the fastest things they can produce. Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Tee1up4 said:

I’m curious where you’ve seen those reviews..? Also, we are pretty much at the point of being capped out with ball speed and drivers. I think you will start to see a shift with companies putting more emphasis on the dispersion/forgiveness of drivers versus producing the fastest things they can produce. Just my opinion. 

I think it depends on the company. Cobra is low CG on all costs, PING is high MOI, Callaway goes for max ballspeed and consistency of speed over the face, Taylormade chases high launch, low spin.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

6 hours ago, GolfChannel said:

Huge fail?  I am sure TXG are going to do more testing.  Bear in mind, they have 134k subs.  They are good (I enjoy their content) but small fry in comparison to the more view friendly Shiels (1.43m subs), Crossfield 340k, Finch 370k and even James Robinson has 143k subs.  I get TXG are WRX friendly, and love delving into the minutae of fitting, but watching someone smash balls into a screen with a 120mph + swing speed isn't really doing it for the masses.  This is borne out in their subscribers number.  In fact I would say watching Matt swing at 100mph righty with a less repeatable swing is playing more into the Ping demographic.  Also, how many of the golfing public in the northern hemisphere in the middle of winter, are rushing out and buying a new driver in the first week of release based on a TXG review?  I would say not many.  I would think people are going to go hit first before buying blind on a Youtube review. 

• Like 4

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

3 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Huge fail?  I am sure TXG are going to do more testing.  Bear in mind, they have 134k subs.  They are good (I enjoy their content) but small fry in comparison to the more view friendly Shiels (1.43m subs), Crossfield 340k, Finch 370k and even James Robinson has 143k subs.  I get TXG are WRX friendly, and love delving into the minutae of fitting, but watching someone smash balls into a screen with a 120mph + swing speed isn't really doing it for the masses.  This is borne out in their subscribers number.  In fact I would say watching Matt swing at 100mph righty with a less repeatable swing is playing more into the Ping demographic.  Also, how many of the golfing public in the northern hemisphere in the middle of winter, are rushing out and buying a new driver in the first week of release based on a TXG review?  I would say not many.  I would think people are going to go hit first before buying blind on a Youtube review. 

+1

They usually do a "live" testing and a real fitting for Matt in two seperate videos anyway!

I too think that a right handed Mattyboy was 1. pretty impressive and 2. reflects how freakin' forgiving those drivers are. I do sometimes wish they had a more "mortal" guy on the test, and mirroring Matt to right handed seems to work =D

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

There have been at least 2 head to head comparisons with the 425vs410 and 425vs400 where the ball speeds for the 425 were .. not an improvement.  And overall performance was not easily distinguishable as to if there was a significant improvement. I think its by far the best looking driver they've put out in a awhile.  Stealthy.  But the reviews so far have been tepid as someone else mentioned imo.  

22 hours ago, radiman said:

I was just looking through their options.  They sure do have much better pricing.  The Tensei Raw Orange TX is only a $162 upcharge.  Crazy.  I think I would stick to a counter balanced shaft just due to the head weight of this thing.  Just don't know if the head weight is significant enough to warrant a 65 gram or if I should stick to 75.  

After purchasing the ventus red, I emailed them today and got this response

"That does not look to be the one with the velocore as it is not stated on their website"