ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

Funny, I have both the Ventus Black 7X and the AD XC 7X, and my impression has been the exact opposite of this, though it has been in very limited testing, (two range sessions with the XC, one with the Ventus), and the difference in launch isn't dramatic. To me, the Ventus has a bit of a stiffer overall feel, but the XC has been launching lower (by about a degree on average). The XC also has a much firmer feel than most other Graphite Design shafts I've used, but I'd consider it to be smoother than the Ventus. Over the years, I've used the BB, DI, GP, MT, and P9003, and only the P9003 felt firmer than the XC. From what I've seen so far, these two are looking like the two best performing shafts of the four I've been testing (the other two are my previous gamer 130 MSI Rogue Silver 70X, and Synergy Tour Green Proto 70X)

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I have a Ventus Black 7x tipped .5" and a XC untipped both at the same length for my SIM and SIM Max. Not a true comparison because of the tipping, but I echo some of the same comments on feel, Ventus has a stiffer feel, I think that has to do with the profile being stiffer in the handle relative to the other sections of the shaft. The XC has a really soft handle but really firm mid and tip sections, very unique feeling. I haven't been on a monitor with the XC, but just visually it seems to launch in a similar window as the Ventus and I generate a tad more spin which is something I need. I've really only hit the DI and AD TP and to me the AD TP is more closely related to the Ventus Black in terms of overall feel. XC is very unique because the handle is pretty soft feeling, but everything else feels pretty firm.

To add to mine, I am comparing the Ventus Black 7x to the XC 7 TX as they are closer to each other in final CPM when built.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

After a couple more sessions on the range, the Ventus has emerged as the pretty clear leader. I seem to hit a few squirrely shots with the AD XC every once in a while, and the Ventus just seems more consistent, and it seems like I'm not seeing as many shots that would be off the planet on the golf course with the Ventus compared to the other shafts I've been testing. On good strikes, there is essentially no difference in ball speed or launch angle. so it really comes down to feel and consistency, and at this point, the Ventus has separated itself from the pack. I'll still probably give the AD XC a try on the course once spring rolls around, but the Ventus looks like it's going to open the year in the bag.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

glad I found this cuz I was considering ordering an XC for a SIM or SIM Max.... I went to a CC fitting over a month ago and the Ventus Black was the best performing and most consistent. I bought a Ventus but haven't been able to even hit it yet. The XC did feel quite strange to me but numbers were pretty similar to my current LA Golf Ozik Black Tie and the Ventus. I'd have to hit them both again to really see which is better. The fitter had me in 7x for bot shafts but ive typically fit in to 6x

Ordered the 6x in a Mavrik Sub zero but sold Mavrik already and kept the shaft. I've got 4 things to trade in giving me about $780 trade value through TM's site so ill order a SIM with GD XC. Hopefully I can contribute later to this thread

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

• 1 month later...

Has anyone compared the XC and the Ventus Blue?? Seems like it may compliment the XC in a fairway wood.

According to the sites they both are soft in the butt and tip stiff. The Ventus Black has a very stiff butt according to the Fujikura site.

• Like 1

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

• 1 month later...

When evaluating the Ventus black it’s important to differentiate the 6 vs 7. Both the 6 S and X have significantly higher tip/butt ratio, much flatter ei curve, which produces a lower launch profile. Black 7 both S and X has tip/butt ratio, and EI curve in line with Ventus Blue, just stiffer in butt, mid, and tip. GD XC has same tip/butt ratio and same ei curve across all weights and flexes.

• Like 1

After testing the Ventus Black 7x against the AD XC 7x for about 5 or 6 range sessions over a couple of months during the winter, I thought the Ventus Black was going to be the winner, but I played a couple of rounds with it (about 6 weeks apart pre/post COVID-19 golf course shutdown, and I found that when I got it out on the course, I had trouble controlling it. My misses were both ways, and it seemed like I went through a similar pattern both times -- I started out hitting it left, then got it straightened out toward the middle of the round, and then toward the end of the round, I tended to miss right. I think the big issue for me is that the Ventus is too stiff in the handle, and I seem to lose track of the clubhead throughout the swing. I've since played 3 rounds with the AD XC in it, and I'm finding that I'm a lot more consistent. My misses have a more consistent pattern (they tend to be to the right), and I've driven it much better since I made the switch.

• 4 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 7:02 PM, Phjames44 said:

When evaluating the Ventus black it’s important to differentiate the 6 vs 7. Both the 6 S and X have significantly higher tip/butt ratio, much flatter ei curve, which produces a lower launch profile. Black 7 both S and X has tip/butt ratio, and EI curve in line with Ventus Blue, just stiffer in butt, mid, and tip. GD XC has same tip/butt ratio and same ei curve across all weights and flexes.

Can you elaborate here?  Are you saying that the 60 gram Black has a less active mid section than the 70 gram Black?  Where are you seeing the EI profile by weight?

I'm particularly interested as I had a 7, and REALLY wanted it to work - but it just didn't.  I'm considering trying out a Black 6, and would love more info.

Thanks!

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

On 5/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, 3_Jack_Par said:

After testing the Ventus Black 7x against the AD XC 7x for about 5 or 6 range sessions over a couple of months during the winter, I thought the Ventus Black was going to be the winner, but I played a couple of rounds with it (about 6 weeks apart pre/post COVID-19 golf course shutdown, and I found that when I got it out on the course, I had trouble controlling it. My misses were both ways, and it seemed like I went through a similar pattern both times -- I started out hitting it left, then got it straightened out toward the middle of the round, and then toward the end of the round, I tended to miss right. I think the big issue for me is that the Ventus is too stiff in the handle, and I seem to lose track of the clubhead throughout the swing. I've since played 3 rounds with the AD XC in it, and I'm finding that I'm a lot more consistent. My misses have a more consistent pattern (they tend to be to the right), and I've driven it much better since I made the switch.

Revisiting this, and it seems like a decade ago that I wrote it. I used the AD XC for maybe a month, and by the end of that time, I'd developed a two-way miss and switched to the Ventus Black 7x. I had some similar consistency issues with that, but not quite as severe. I made a small adjustment in my swing, because I felt that I was taking it way too far back in my backswing, and I felt that because of that, it might make sense to go with a lighter shaft. So, I got a Ventus Black 6x, put that in the driver, and cut down the 7x to use in my 3 wood. This has worked out a lot better for me, and I've been driving it much more consistently (most of the time) since I made that switch. I like the Ventus Black so much that I'm really interested in trying the Ventus HB for my driving iron.

• Like 1

I tested the Ventus Black 7x against the XC 7x and found the XC much more left biased than the Ventus. Feel on both are great with the XC feeling more active. The feel of the Ventus Black is great! You can feel it load and unload but the flight is much more controlled and the thing stays straight. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 7:40 PM, kevin1826 said:

I tested the Ventus Black 7x against the XC 7x and found the XC much more left biased than the Ventus. Feel on both are great with the XC feeling more active. The feel of the Ventus Black is great! You can feel it load and unload but the flight is much more controlled and the thing stays straight. 

I’ve hit the XC in 7TX and love the feel. So unique and very close to the BB. But I agree it has a tendency to go left a little more than I like. Really wanna try the Ventus. Was yours tipped at all? 

14 hours ago, justinmartel77 said:

I’ve hit the XC in 7TX and love the feel. So unique and very close to the BB. But I agree it has a tendency to go left a little more than I like. Really wanna try the Ventus. Was yours tipped at all? 

I have played the Ventus 7x untipped and liked it but my Ventus 6x tipped one inch is perfection!  Love the feel and control of that shaft. I did just trade into a Ventus 7x tipped 1.5” and am anxious to run it against some of the others.

TLDR: I have a problem that only GolfWRX members will understand  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kevin1826 said:

I have played the Ventus 7x untipped and liked it but my Ventus 6x tipped one inch is perfection!  Love the feel and control of that shaft. I did just trade into a Ventus 7x tipped 1.5” and am anxious to run it against some of the others.

TLDR: I have a problem that only GolfWRX members will understand  

Great feedback I appreciate. Some may call it a problem, I call it a pursuit 😉

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

If you believe the Titleist classification of shafts, they are not in the same category at all.

image.png.d02d97667b54baf36c11309af78225d5.png

Looks like the difference is closer in the 70 gram weight range. Which seems close to what people are suggesting on here. I'd definitely say XC launches a little higher than low category. Have a Hulk 60 6.5 and that thing is low/low. XC launches much higher in comparison even in 7TX.

1 minute ago, justinmartel77 said:

Looks like the difference is closer in the 70 gram weight range. Which seems close to what people are suggesting on here. I'd definitely say XC launches a little higher than low category. Have a Hulk 60 6.5 and that thing is low/low. XC launches much higher in comparison even in 7TX.

Thats true. Interesting how different the 6s are vs. the 7s between the XC and the Black.

On a side note, I got fitted into the XC 6S (i don't have super human WRX swing speeds). TSi 2 with XC 6S actually launches higher than my SIM Max with Ventus Red 5S Velocore... I don't even know how to explain that one.

Interesting topic.. I have a Ventus Black that I was using in my Titleist TS4.. my new TSi3 has the XC 6x in it.. hoping it is not left bias like mentioned above... 

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

I tried the GD XC is 6s and it just did not work for me. I went to the 6X and Loved the feel/dispersion. Ventus black did not match up with my swing for some reason, I like the kick in the XC a lot more. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

5 hours ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

Interesting topic.. I have a Ventus Black that I was using in my Titleist TS4.. my new TSi3 has the XC 6x in it.. hoping it is not left bias like mentioned above... 

I don’t know if I’d say left biased, but it has the left miss in it occasionally. Whereas my hzrdus green has no left to speak of. Kind of hoping Ventus black has the feel of the XC but dispersion of hulk. 

• Like 1