HOGAN PC irons

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think these were my third set of clubs I played, after Spalding (I think they were Top Flite blades) and Hagen blades, the heads were in good nick, but the grips had a horrible plastic feel. I think my set was a bit long in the tooth, compared to the other blades I gamed they had quite a harsh feel, but that could have been the grips. I'm sure they were lovely new.

I had 3 to E with a Sure Out wedge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My buddy from high school got these when they came out, he was in his late 20's by then, 1 thru Equalizer.  I think I bought the 1 iron from him from the set, and tried to pair it with my Palmer "the Standard" blades.  My Palmer's were almost like SGI irons compared to that PC 1 iron.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 7/5/2021 at 3:21 AM, jweita13 said:

Just bought a great Hogan bag cheap and the guy threw in a full set 3-E of the Apex PC irons.  Can't wait to try em at the range.

IMG_20210704_175230377~2.jpg

IMG_20210704_175401968.jpg

I bought these out of the back of a golf magazine and were the best clubs ive played until the the Titleist 712 CB's came out.   Back when players were not "afraid to hit blades" lol.....this is a mans club.

• Like 1

I played a set for two years when I was in college. I had a guy trade me a set Ping Becu Eye 2's for them,  then I realized just how much harder I had been making the game on myself trying to hit those pc's.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, jweita13 said:

Just regripped my PCs.  Went with blue midsize Kingrasp grips to go with the bag.  I forgot how much I HATE removing 38 yr old grips. 

IMG_20210714_064434089.jpg

I know this feeling. I have a set of 72 Apex in the basement that are on the long finger. I changed three grips but they're all hard as concrete and stuck solid. It's a horrible job. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I know this feeling. I have a set of 72 Apex in the basement that are on the long finger. I changed three grips but they're all hard as concrete and stuck solid. It's a horrible job. 

This is messy work no matter how you do it.  I've given up on cutting the grip down the middle an pulling it off in one piece.  I've started shaving off big slices of the with a razor blade using a "drawing" motion from the tip to the but end.  After you get a couple of big slices out, a couple of centimeters wide, the rest comes off pretty easy.  Here's a visual to demonstrate what I mean. 😄

81764zt8PaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe S said:

This is messy work no matter how you do it.  I've given up on cutting the grip down the middle an pulling it off in one piece.  I've started shaving off big slices of the with a razor blade using a "drawing" motion from the tip to the but end.  After you get a couple of big slices out, a couple of centimeters wide, the rest comes off pretty easy.  Here's a visual to demonstrate what I mean. 😄

81764zt8PaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

That's the best way for sure. There's no way these grips are coming off the traditional way - they just crumble into dust. 

18 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

My process for removing old, stuck grips.  Move the project into the garage, from the basement workbench (it's a noxious job).  Warm up the grip with a heat gun set too high.  At that point, can either slit with a hooked blade or the old rubber starts coming off in chunks.  Once I've removed as much as possible, will burn the what's left with a propane torch.  And scrap off the remainder with a tape removal tool.  Repeat until all the residue grip and tape is removed.  Clean up the butt with Goo Gone and  #0000 steel wool.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

My process for removing old, stuck grips.  Move the project into the garage, from the basement workbench (it's a noxious job).  Warm up the grip with a heat gun set too high.  At that point, can either slit with a hooked blade or the old rubber starts coming off in chunks.  Once I've removed as much as possible, will burn the what's left with a propane torch.  And scrap off the remainder with a tape removal tool.  Repeat until all the residue grip and tape is removed.  Clean up the butt with Goo Gone and  #0000 steel wool.  

Yeah, that sounds effective.

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

That's a good point.  A little heat to soften the grip helps a lot.

• 1 month later...

I own '84 Apex PCs 1-E. Still play them. They're in great shape for their age, as I got married, had kids...and have not played a ton of golf over the years. I'd say the sweet spot is about the size of a nickel.  A half inch toe or heal will be ok, if also not thin. Thin shots will come up 5-10 yards short. Badly off toe or heel 10-15 yards. Obviously worse with long irons. I still carry the 3-E, and don't find the 3 too hard to hit if I've got a decent swing going. If I'm playing poorly, I club down and hit knockdowns. I got fitted for Titleist 735.CMs and played them for a few years, but went back to the Hogans. They felt dead by comparison. I also owned '72 Apexes, and can't say I noticed much difference after they were stolen and I bought the '84 Apex PCs to replace them. One thing about the PCs is the sharp leading edge and almost zero bounce. If you catch one heavy, it's going nowhere.

Time marches on, however, and I have a set of Taylormade P7MB blades due to arrive in a week or two. They are like game improvement irons by comparison.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Oh how I lusted after those PC's when they came out, and I was way into golf at that time. I just never bought a set, they seemed expensive.  FFWD to now and I picked up a set a couple months ago and am just now regripping them. I've not swung them a lot yet because of the old hard small grips, but I'm liking how they feel. I normally play WS TourBlade's (ff).

But also there's a new set of PC's on the big auction site right now. They appear unhit. Starting at 525, and this isn't their first time up. Never dreamed I see a brand new set of these svelte clubs all these years later. I won't buy 'em because I couldn't make myself get 'em dirty-- I've already got a set (of PC's) for that. I don't need any trophy clubs. But if any of you fine fellows do, and maybe in a few years-after you break 'em in properly- might also want to let them go for any reason, maybe then I could bid to add them to my collection. Thanks in advance! 😅

(I am in no way affiliated with the seller or the sale)

Edited by Wade Patton

On 4/24/2020 at 9:34 PM, EmperorPenguin said:

Ha! The PC's (percussion center). These were the clubs that even club pros cannot hit. These are as close to Scotch blades you can get in the Hogan line. I suspect Ben designed these himself and only he could play them. The best Hogan blades, in my opinion, are the 1973 Apex blades.

Funny thing was Hogan himself continued to play the White Cameos after the PCs came out.  His photoshoot with Golf Digest in 1985 featured Apex IIs.  I've not been able to confirm this, but allegedly Mr. Hogan had little to do with the PC development.  His personal specs called for as much under sling as possible which is very much a feature of the Apex II, not the PC.  Personally I've found the Apex IIs easier to find the "hosel adjacent" sweet spot due to the under sling and slightly shorter blade vs. the PC.  

1573464092416 (1).jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, T308 said:

Funny thing was Hogan himself continued to play the White Cameos after the PCs came out.  His photoshoot with Golf Digest in 1985 featured Apex IIs.  I've not been able to confirm this, but allegedly Mr. Hogan had little to do with the PC development.  His personal specs called for as much under sling as possible which is very much a feature of the Apex II, not the PC.  Personally I've found the Apex IIs easier to find the "hosel adjacent" sweet spot due to the under sling and slightly shorter blade vs. the PC.  

1573464092416 (1).jpeg

I also read somewhere that the white cameos were in his bag when he died. Urban legend maybe

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 7:09 AM, MrFlipper said:

I also read somewhere that the white cameos were in his bag when he died. Urban legend maybe

The Apex IIs were indeed the last set of irons he played.  No idea if they're still there or not, but for a while they were in the USGA museum in Far Hills.

IIRC, there was no difference between the white and back paintfilled IIs, they did white for the first several years of production, then switched to black for the last year (or maybe two years?).  Personally I liked them better than the PCs.  COG was too high in the PCs for me.  PCs were great for diggers, but tough on us pickers.  They threw us a bone with the Redlines though haha.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, Wade Patton said:

Oh how I lusted after those PC's when they came out, and I was way into golf at that time. I just never bought a set, they seemed expensive.  FFWD to now and I picked up a set a couple months ago and am just now regripping them. I've not swung them a lot yet because of the old hard small grips, but I'm liking how they feel. I normally play WS TourBlade's (ff).

But also there's a new set of PC's on the big auction site right now. They appear unhit. Starting at 525, and this isn't their first time up. Never dreamed I see a brand new set of these svelte clubs all these years later. I won't buy 'em because I couldn't make myself get 'em dirty-- I've already got a set (of PC's) for that. I don't need any trophy clubs. But if any of you fine fellows do, and maybe in a few years-after you break 'em in properly- might also want to let them go for any reason, maybe then I could bid to add them to my collection. Thanks in advance! 😅

(I am in no way affiliated with the seller or the sale)

Wade, I found a set of PC's that are mint, almost new.

Can't really see that they were hit, but Im sure the have been.

Gorgeous clean looking design.

Even bought the Hogan Display, a set of Decade's and a 25 Year Anniversary wedge with a Neuman leather grip also.

IMG_4291.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

hmmm....ok, I admit to being a bit confused about the label "PC". Yeah, I understand it means "Percussion Center"...however, on that photo grouping of Hogan irons, it shows PC5, PC6 and Apex PC. The PC5 & 6 seem to be from the mid '60s, while the ApexPC is ~20years later. 
So is everyone posting above talking about the ApexPCs when they just say "PC"?
Another question - what is the difference between the PC5 & the PC6?

It must be "Confusing Monday" 🙃