Kirkland (Costco) Wedges!?

mclartyw

21 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

I don't think "ripped off" is the right phrase.  We're paying for the branding, attention to detail, and more options in lofts, grinds, etc.  So it's more a question about the mark up in relation to the branding, more variety, etc.  Personally, I buy wedges every 5 years or so, and even if the Kirklands performed similarly I'd choose to pay extra for the Vokeys as I've always played them, they look better to me, and the cost is insignificant when spread out over 5 years imo.

I agree ripped off seems somewhat unfair, though I would contest there being a difference in attention to detail without proof, and think that the argument paying for branding specifically seems unwise, I do think customization of shafts/grips/grinds ect., even look and feel differences make sense to decide one over another but I think many would consider paying specifically for the name on the club silly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

I don't think "ripped off" is the right phrase.  We're paying for the branding, attention to detail, and more options in lofts, grinds, etc.  So it's more a question about the mark up in relation to the branding, more variety, etc.  Personally, I buy wedges every 5 years or so, and even if the Kirklands performed similarly I'd choose to pay extra for the Vokeys as I've always played them, they look better to me, and the cost is insignificant when spread out over 5 years imo.

I guess it comes down to what is the value of branding. 

At regular price in Canada, a kirk wedge is $57 and a vokey is $240.

I've used many wedges cleveland 588 and cbx2, glide 2, various vokeys, pxg, etc. I'm playing the best with the kirks that I've ever played around the greens. Maybe that's me, maybe the full sole is easier... I don't know but a vokey surely isn't worth 4 times more for branding (for me). 

I think we pay a big price for branding, marketing, etc in 2022... I'm not sure it's justified anymore. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Newguy123 said:

I agree ripped off seems somewhat unfair, though I would contest there being a difference in attention to detail without proof, and think that the argument paying for branding specifically seems unwise, I do think customization of shafts/grips/grinds ect., even look and feel differences make sense to decide one over another but I think many would consider paying specifically for the name on the club silly

'Attention to detail' may have been a poor phrase.  I just mean the overall fit and finish looks more finely tuned to me on the top end OEM wedges.  The Kirklands just look kind of cheap to me.  Of course, they are a lot cheaper, and the looks are not a performance metric so I can totally understand why if performance is a push then some will choose the less expensive option.  If Kirkland comes out with bounce/loft/grind options at a similar price, then they could really start selling a lot.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

58 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

'Attention to detail' may have been a poor phrase.  I just mean the overall fit and finish looks more finely tuned to me on the top end OEM wedges.  The Kirklands just look kind of cheap to me.  Of course, they are a lot cheaper, and the looks are not a performance metric so I can totally understand why if performance is a push then some will choose the less expensive option.  If Kirkland comes out with bounce/loft/grind options at a similar price, then they could really start selling a lot.

This is not meant to sound rude in any way but I am genuinely curious. What % of amateur golfers actually buy their wedges with a specific bounce or grid? I would guess a very small %, maybe 10-20%?

3 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

If they had all sorts of bounce/loft/grind options, it would break the business model that allows them to sell 3 wedges for $160. 

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

This is not meant to sound rude in any way but I am genuinely curious. What % of amateur golfers actually buy their wedges with a specific bounce or grid? I would guess a very small %, maybe 10-20%?

I'd say most don't. And that half (or more) of those that do actually don't know what the heck they're doing 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

If these look like they're disappearing from the web site or are getting low in stock in the warehouses, I might need to pick up a set. 

I'm too much of a gorilla, so I'll stick with my wedges because I'd need to put new, longer shafts in them and bigger grips. But my son is learning the game and rapidly shot up to 5'10" at 14 years old. I bought him a used set of clubs from an old guy with shorter graphite senior flex, and although he's only 120# now, he's gonna start filling out and getting stronger quickly. 

A set of these should get him through the next several years of development at least.

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Hard to say.  When we're on wrx we often forget we're discussing these things amongst a very small % of total golfers.  If a company is trying to sell at the lowest price point and to the masses, then don't bother with the options is a smart strategy.  But if you want those options as a consumer then you're likely turned off by the lack of choice.  For example, I only carry 2 wedges and really benefit from my highest lofted wedge having a versatile sole/grind so it can essentially fill multiple spots in the bag.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Hard to say.  When we're on wrx we often forget we're discussing these things amongst a very small % of total golfers.  If a company is trying to sell at the lowest price point and to the masses, then don't bother with the options is a smart strategy.  But if you want those options as a consumer then you're likely turned off by the lack of choice.  For example, I only carry 2 wedges and really benefit from my highest lofted wedge having a versatile sole/grind so it can essentially fill multiple spots in the bag.

I would also say 95% of rec golfers would do much better never manipulating a wedge by opening it, using the toe, trying to hit a flop, etc, and simply hitting standard pitch and chip shots. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I would also say 95% of rec golfers would do much better never manipulating a wedge by opening it, using the toe, trying to hit a flop, etc, and simply hitting standard pitch and chip shots. 

Amen to that, Tuesday afternoon I got hit in the calf and another barely shaved my shin from the same jack leg in our group trying to hit a flop from off the collar 

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a set of Kirklands last year for the fun of it. Received my CBX Zipcores yesterday as replacement for my SM7s and found their quality to be lacking. To my surprise, the Kirklands have better fit and finish than the Clevelands. Granted, the Zipcores will likely perform better but at 3-4 x the price. 

Ping G425 9º Driver / Ping G425  5, 7 Fairway Woods / PXG 0311XP 6-GW / Cleveland  CBX Zipcore  54º 58º/ Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

20 minutes ago, Gooby said:

Picked up a set of Kirklands last year for the fun of it. Received my CBX Zipcores yesterday as replacement for my SM7s and found their quality to be lacking. To my surprise, the Kirklands have better fit and finish than the Clevelands. Granted, the Zipcores will likely perform better but at 3-4 x the price. 

Other than the bounce options in the higher lofted Cleveland wedges they will perform exactly the same. It’s a wedge. 

• Like 1

Local Costco's in the Tampa/St. Pete area still have them in store.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini Driver- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5W- Ventus Red 9TX

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

8 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Other than the bounce options in the higher lofted Cleveland wedges they will perform exactly the same. It’s a wedge. 

If you say so.

Ping G425 9º Driver / Ping G425  5, 7 Fairway Woods / PXG 0311XP 6-GW / Cleveland  CBX Zipcore  54º 58º/ Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, PARETO said:

Just picked up a set here in Calgary. They are the best deal going as I see it. The first range session was a nice hour session. 

9E861FC7-6529-4B3B-8183-411B0FD4C0CC.jpeg

Just wait until you hit it on the sweetspot!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Haha 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Wedges are solid. Definitely not for everyone and do have the fingerprints of a golf manufacturer on them. 

I'm not forecasting. I'm not saying I know something. But, I wouldn't be too surprised if you had a full on Kirkland setup / abbreviated set available in the future when the supply chain catches up. Maybe even a mallet styled putter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Just wait until you hit it on the sweetspot!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL. Well played 👌. These days, a few grooves high seems to be my norm. 

• Like 1

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

• 2 weeks later...

Little over a week in. Took about 10 shots to transition from my stealth I had for about 5 years. 

I love these. Grips are on the small side yes but the weight feels so much better for me. Glad I didn’t drop more on the other wedges I was looking at. I find the soles great for the turf I play. Bunker shots are super smooth. Love the look behind the ball.  Two thumbs up. 

Edited by cz13X4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting this Kirkland wedge set instead of adding just a 60* lob wedge to my Mavrik set. 

I have the Mavrik P,A,G,S wedges (which have stock lofts of 41*,46*,51*,56* respectively).  I'd potentially be kicking out the 51* and 56* in favor all 3 from the Kirkland set (52*,56*,60*). 

Has anyone used both by chance?

Thanks!

I got the 3 wedge set and ended up keeping just the 60* lob wedge.  For whatever reason the 60 grind just works for me.  After having tried various Cleveland’s, Taylormades, Vokeys and Ping from Glide 2.0-4.0 the Kirkland 60 is the best lw I’ve ever played.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2