Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

1 hour ago, awtryau89 said:

Hey @Warrick I did go with Blackout LZs. I was torn because I was worried about wear and scratches. I seem to remember you said they wear well. I am not tough on my clubs but I don't baby them in the bag. If these shafts rub around on each other, will the finish come off? I walk with a cart a lot and they do bump around.

My experience with them is a Silencer Cart bag, riding, and always wiping everything down.

i am a little weird with my clubs.

no box today, hopefully by the weekend 

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

1 hour ago, awtryau89 said:

Hey @Warrick I did go with Blackout LZs. I was torn because I was worried about wear and scratches. I seem to remember you said they wear well. I am not tough on my clubs but I don't baby them in the bag. If these shafts rub around on each other, will the finish come off? I walk with a cart a lot and they do bump around.

My experience with them is a Silencer Cart bag, riding, and always wiping everything down.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

4 hours ago, IvanDrago said:
  Reveal hidden contents

98551A00-292F-4EF6-9052-3BA8D7912376.jpeg

5C3128C1-7FA3-40B0-BBEB-62BF9B3F2AEC.jpeg

Wow you lucky dog, they look great!! So how are they performing? What are you coming from? What are your first impressions?

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Hit the 921 forged and the Tour indoors. I never liked the 919 forged but the 921's are nice. Tour look fantastic but I really enjoyed the forged more. Hope to get a chance to hit them outdoors. 

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

4 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

So I couldn't help myself. My teaching pro just signed with Mizuno and our head pro is with Ping. Its always a battle for my loyalties. Last week we just got in the latest Swing Analyzer Fitting system and we put it through the paces today. I tried the HMB, 921 Tour and Forged. I must say I went in thinking the HMB were going to be the best looking but the Forged edged them out and the Tours are gorgeous. The toplines are thinner on the 921. During the session the analyzer spit out the same 3 shafts it always does, 1. X100 softstepped 2. PX 6.0 and PX LZ 6.0. We tried only the PX as I know I don't like the X100. Using the upright heads, the Tour was best in feel and turf interaction. I was leaning that way but I ended up with the Forged as I want more help. I know in the winter months when my HC creeps up I'll be mad I do not have the most help possible. As we went through the analyzer fitting process, we chose 1/4 over length, it recommended .5* upright but I went a full degree, traditional lofts which are 2* weak and grip with wraps. I was surprised with the loft options. The program has 3 different loft combos built into it and makes it easy as Mizuno has already built the right gapping for each. Of course you can customize further if wanted. Pro pushed the order button and we got confirmation right there on the order. I live about 3 miles from Mizuno's national distribution center so I told my Pro to tell the rep I'll drop by and pick them up tomorrow...? 

just so you are aware that 1/4” actually equates to 1/2” vs TM Titleist and Cally standard Players category irons

So finally found the demo heads in store for the JPX 921 Forged. I got to hit that combo that I blindly ordered based off HMP that I demo'd two weeks ago. Yes it checks al the boxes for me, looks, feel and distance. Had a couple good swings, feel was superb and felt hot as well. I took a few comparison pics vs the 919 Forged so you all can see the differences they made the biggest thing that stood out to me was the reduced blade length and top line I couldn't see much difference in offset I imagine it will be more noticeable in the long irons I was only able to see and hit a 7 iron. I just wanted to reconfirm what all the marketing was saying and I am glad I placed the order.

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7161.jpeg

IMG_7162.jpeg

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, MH2 said:

I agree, really looking forward to hitting them and finally deciding between them and the TM p770’s. I really wish Ping would let us know what they are releasing next year, if they said an iblade replacement was for sure coming out I think I would try and wait 

100% agree on Pings release next year. I’m really hoping I can hold out until we see the iblade replacements 

6 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Which one is what?

921 Forged - Left (smaller footprint)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

921 Forged - Left (smaller footprint)

Man this thread is selling me. Loved when I hit them last week. PXG fitting this week. We shall see how the Gen3 compare. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

25 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Man this thread is selling me. Loved when I hit them last week. PXG fitting this week. We shall see how the Gen3 compare. 

The decision will be tough if money isn't a factor. 

im still all over the place and go back and forth daily.  And recently added T200 to my list, although I haven't hit them yet. 

Edited by Minarets

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Just now, Minarets said:

The decision will be tough is money isn't a factor. 

im still all over the place and go back and forth daily.  

50th birthday gift going to cost the wife a few bucks!! 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 minute ago, OspreyCI said:

50th birthday gift going to cost the wife a few bucks!! 

I'm 40 next month myself.  Told my wife the same. 

• Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I had a set of p770 on order that were set to arrive sometime in late October. Man I really wanted to love those over anything else on the market. But after testing out the HMP and the delayed shipping date of the 770s, it was a no brainer. Swallowed my pride and cancelled the 770s and put an order in for these last week. Anyone know if the HM/HMPs are shipping earlier than the forged/tour? Heard that the HM/HMPs were coming from China as opposed to the forged/tour? That true?

3 hours ago, Genostarrr said:

I had a set of p770 on order that were set to arrive sometime in late October. Man I really wanted to love those over anything else on the market. But after testing out the HMP and the delayed shipping date of the 770s, it was a no brainer. Swallowed my pride and cancelled the 770s and put an order in for these last week. Anyone know if the HM/HMPs are shipping earlier than the forged/tour? Heard that the HM/HMPs were coming from China as opposed to the forged/tour? That true?

true where they’re coming from,  the tour and the forged would come out of Japan the hot metal and HoTMetaL pro come from China but mine were ordered around late August, early  September arriving October 1 I was told. I ordered HM Pro. If I were to order the tour or the forged I was told they would still be here October 1 so I really have no idea what the embargo restrictions are

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, johnroyal519 said:

are the 921 tours bigger or smaller than t100? 

Playing T100 now but looking to move back to mizuno - it's these or MP20 MMC - how would the tours compare to mp20 mmc

the forged look a bigger head than mmc or t100.  Blade length is longer with a thicker top line. The lofts are stronger and I was a little bit disappointed with the feel of them. The MMC’s are more like the T-100 and feel better than the forged. They are slightly less forgiving though.
I really hate how lofts are getting so strong. I play a 21* rescue so there’s no point having the 4 iron in these. The 5 is basically a 4 iron and the gaps are then bigger at the scoring end of the bag. I get that Mizuno are only doing what other companies are doing but I wish they’d left the strong lofts to the HMP’s and left the forged as a bit more of a players iron like the t100 or new Taylormade p7mc’s. 
 I haven’t hit the tours yet but if they are as forgiving as the mmc’s I would game them In an instant. 

7 hours ago, Genostarrr said:

very good decision. I tried P770 and wasn't even close to 921 Forged as far as the performance and "feel"

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

15 hours ago, Warrick said:

Well that's no help. ? I don't bang mine around but I do know they probably rub against each other. I use a 14 way bag and have a MGI Navigator as I walk 90% of my rounds. I just do not want to end up with bag wear and shiny areas. My OCD will kill me. Probably going to change to chrome to be safe.

1 hour ago, johnroyal519 said:

are the 921 tours bigger or smaller than t100? 

Playing T100 now but looking to move back to mizuno - it's these or MP20 MMC - how would the tours compare to mp20 mmc

I hit them very briefly in my fitting and felt the Tours were more forgiving. They felt a bit hotter to me as well. My pro plays MP-20 blades and wished he had waited on the 921 Tours. He said he would game them over the MP-20s and he can hit anything well. Honestly the Tours were the best all around club I hit yesterday but just worried about long term results on forgiveness for me.

One more thing on delivery, my pro said normally Mizuno works on a 2 day turnaround. With the new launch the rep said they are roughly 10 days to 2 weeks right now. They have all heads in stock. It's only about the shafts and manpower. If you order a shaft that is backordered (the shaft companies are strained right now too), that could cause delays. He is hoping to have mine by beginning of October and I just ordered. Of course, shipping is only 1 day for me. We'll see how long it takes. I am hoping its quick and hoping to see others start showing up with pics on here soon so we know the machine is churning them out.

Edited by awtryau89

I tried both 921 Tour and 921 Forged (indoor). I like Tour better because of the softer feel (Forged is also soft but still different from Tour), and the loft is more traditional without gapping issue. I currently use Miura Baby Blade and the lofts are exactly the same as 921 Tour. I was considering Forged for more forgiveness in the case when I get tired getting to the final couple holes. However I found Tour is also forgiving enough for me. In the end I bought a set of 921 Tour with stock shaft DG120 S200.

My Miura BB is with SteelFiber i95R, and I was worrying about DG120 S200 will be too heavy / stiff for me. After I tried for an hour, I was pleasantly surprised by how accurate, forgiving and smooth about my new irons. The trajectory is higher and the spin is also higher. I use 712U as my 4i but I found 921 Tour 4i is very easy to hit. The best part is the dispersion. Even I missed hit, I did not see big slice or hook. I will game it on Friday to see how my new weapon will help me. Highly recommend 921 Tour.

S__7995539.jpg

S__7995536.jpg

S__7995537.jpg

S__7995534.jpg

S__7995538.jpg

S__7995535.jpg

S__7995532.jpg

S__7995550.jpg

S__7995548.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caller said:

It was not my experience looking down on it. 

I will not be buying either but my dad ordered the Forged, I sent him this as I was shocked how similar the heads were. 

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3796.jpeg

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I know this is GolfWRX but has anyone hit the Hot Metals and not the HMP?

Edited by Mookie91
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I'm pretty torn between the HMP and the Forged.

The only thing I don't like about the HMP is the size of the sole and the fact that with the 7 iron fitting head, you can see the back of the club (slightly) at address.  I prefer the look of the forged at address (at least for the 7 iron).  Since the heads change in size throughout the set I may just have to see the entire set before deciding.  While I prefer the 7 iron look of the forged, I may prefer the look of the HMP in the longer and shorter irons.

What I'm "scared" of is giving up the extra forgiveness of the HMP, and paying extra for the forged, if the forged wont perform as well over the long run.  Aside from being more forgiving "on paper" does anyone truly know how much more forgiving the HMP is over the forged?

56 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

I know this is GolfWRX but has any hit the Hot Metals and not the HMP?

My local store only had the HM and HMP at the time. I’ll be honest, I def smoked the HM more as opposed to the HMP. But just liked the smaller profile of the HMP. Not sure how things would’ve worked out with the HM on my mediocre attempts to shape a ball. They were just long and straight. What did surprise me was how much more compact The 921 HMs looked compared to its previous models.

• Thanks 1

• easyyy unfeatured this topic