Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, glk said:

These are both after transition.    First is p5 and second is close to shaft vertical.    

point is the “cast” to 8 o’clock at speed causes the wrists to achieve max cocking and maintain it until around the second photo or shaft vertical in downswing.    This keeps the club close to the body - like a ice skater spinning and pulling arms in - so angular velocity of body peaks early and thru release and deceleration lots of angular velocity is transferred to the club .

people interfere with this by either attempting to hold lag or cast the wrist early in transition - like a skater extending the arms to slow down - so potential max angular velocity is not realized.   Whew.    

in short casting is a big speed killer.

how would someone cast the wrist early in transition? 

On 10/19/2022 at 8:32 PM, AZGolfer1950 said:

I believe AMG refers to the move as opening a door knob for the trail hand. They have a few videos on YouTube regarding this move   Another coach on be better golf used reference of a karate chop with trail hand but keeping the wrist extension

Yeah! Turning a door knob would also be a good description to what I'm feeling.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, PNWGuy said:

WTH?  Is this still a golf forum or has it morphed into something else?

We're all having fun, right? 🙂 I've learned if I give my swing thoughts/feels more interesting names I'm less likely to forget them. But cast a and cast b is cool too though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally feel like I have gotten my casts A and B working well along with the transition. As many said, it has taken a while as I started with No Turn Cast in July 2022. Not saying "I have it", I will likely never "have it" but flight looks different and the final piece was the driver. I have two rounds (one right before I started working with NTC) and today's 9 holes, same course and same general temperature and conditions. The yardage difference is WILD and my swing feels so much free-er now through the ball. Really fun to step up and be able to get some decent distance now and then.

35D7556C-BB7E-4CA9-8185-364794FE7236.png

6EEC204E-3F52-46D9-959C-564CE97CD22A.png

Edited by vandyfan

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

21 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I finally feel like I have gotten my casts A and B working well along with the transition. As many said, it has taken a while as I started with No Turn Cast in July 2022. Not saying "I have it", I will likely never "have it" but flight looks different and the final piece was the driver. I have two rounds (one right before I started working with NTC) and today's 9 holes, same course and same general temperature and conditions. The yardage difference is WILD and my swing feels so much free-er now through the ball. Really fun to step up and be able to get some decent distance now and then.

35D7556C-BB7E-4CA9-8185-364794FE7236.png

6EEC204E-3F52-46D9-959C-564CE97CD22A.png

That’s incredible! 3-4 months doesn’t seem that bad depending on what your habits were prior. I have a bad case of improper wrist movements (lead wrist going into extension)at start of down swing. Lead wrist going into flexion feels like an impossible move for me to make, but I haven’t dedicated the time to it yet. How did you structure your practice/range sessions? Curious what worked for others.

31 minutes ago, bcc624 said:

How did you structure your practice/range sessions?

I probably went to the range 3-4 times, total in the 3-4 months I have been working on it.

But at least 4-5 times per week I was outside working on the swing with a mirror and iphone. I did mostly positional work for the first month. Mainly backswing and transition. Once I felt comfortable with that I worked on the cast A in isolation for several weeks and then put all of it together for a month. I then realized I was ignoring cast B which was leading me to hit the lower part of the face and hit weak shots off to the right. Bringing in cast B then started impacting my transition so I had to go back and try to incorporate all of it slowly. Majority of this was done with a mat and a net and my iphone hitting balls, again, 4-5 times per week for about 45 minutes a pop. I found it easier to work on the positions by hitting into a net because I wasn't overly concerned with ball flight. It felt terrible for the first month (to the point where I couldn't really play golf with that swing). In the second month I could play okay but I was hitting the ball fairly weakly because, as mentioned above, I wasn't releasing the club properly through the ball. Finally in the last month I have marked improvement over my old swing. Path is much better, face to path is better, ball speed is up, swing speed is up, dispersion is down. I could fake it for a while with the irons but my driver was the real litmus test. 

Again, I am not saying I "have it" because I only have about 4 consecutive rounds of good driving so far. But the ball flight is DIFFERENT now with my driver. Flight is higher, I hit a draw now instead of a weak spinny fade and overall I don't feel like I am swinging any harder. There was a key point that Monte made that I now "feel" which is [paraphrasing] the longer you can delay your turn (in the downswing) the more room and time you have to cast the club correctly. This is my main swing thought which feels like I am casting with my wrists and delaying my hip turn as long as possible. I have a hip bump forward at the top to start my transition but there is no active "hip turn" into the ball. I do some by default but I feel like my hands and arms are beating my hips through the ball even though that may not actually be happening. When I feel my hips spinning out early I know I will have disastrous results. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

I probably went to the range 3-4 times, total in the 3-4 months I have been working on it.

But at least 4-5 times per week I was outside working on the swing with a mirror and iphone. I did mostly positional work for the first month. Mainly backswing and transition. Once I felt comfortable with that I worked on the cast A in isolation for several weeks and then put all of it together for a month. I then realized I was ignoring cast B which was leading me to hit the lower part of the face and hit weak shots off to the right. Bringing in cast B then started impacting my transition so I had to go back and try to incorporate all of it slowly. Majority of this was done with a mat and a net and my iphone hitting balls, again, 4-5 times per week for about 45 minutes a pop. I found it easier to work on the positions by hitting into a net because I wasn't overly concerned with ball flight. It felt terrible for the first month (to the point where I couldn't really play golf with that swing). In the second month I could play okay but I was hitting the ball fairly weakly because, as mentioned above, I wasn't releasing the club properly through the ball. Finally in the last month I have marked improvement over my old swing. Path is much better, face to path is better, ball speed is up, swing speed is up, dispersion is down. I could fake it for a while with the irons but my driver was the real litmus test. 

Again, I am not saying I "have it" because I only have about 4 consecutive rounds of good driving so far. But the ball flight is DIFFERENT now with my driver. Flight is higher, I hit a draw now instead of a weak spinny fade and overall I don't feel like I am swinging any harder. There was a key point that Monte made that I now "feel" which is [paraphrasing] the longer you can delay your turn (in the downswing) the more room and time you have to cast the club correctly. This is my main swing thought which feels like I am casting with my wrists and delaying my hip turn as long as possible. I have a hip bump forward at the top to start my transition but there is no active "hip turn" into the ball. I do some by default but I feel like my hands and arms are beating my hips through the ball even though that may not actually be happening. When I feel my hips spinning out early I know I will have disastrous results. 

Appreciate the detailed response! Even if you don’t have it perfect, those distance gains are exceptional. 

I’ve been doing online lessons + improvement plan with Monte and have cleaned up a lot of the backswing, hip turn, hip tilt, and also have worked on getting arms to move fast and earlier on downswing for a long time. Once I feel squared away most of that and Monte agrees, proper wrist movements is next on the list. I have experimented with Cast A drills and flexing lead wrist in transition on numerous occasions and it’s been a foreign movement to me. I know trying to implement it in season would be painful, so I’m hoping I can dedicate the time this off-season. I pretty much practice with a mat and net exclusively, as well. I think it’s the best way to make swing changes.

• Like 1

Could I get a viewpoint here on the movements? I've recently switched up my thought process a little to focus on the right wrist and arm given I feel I have more control being right handed. No ball here which I know is not ideal and I can see I need to find some more depth and to tackle my chronic head movement on the backswing, but in terms of the wrists and hand path, is this looking on the right track? My feeling is cast to 8 with the right wrist which puts it into extension, while also unfolding the right arm almost immediately. I've noticed the hands are getting down much more quickly and the shaft is definitely shallower coming in, so hopefully I'm on the right track...

Edited by Doodlebug87

13 minutes ago, Doodlebug87 said:

Could I get a viewpoint here on the movements? I've recently switched up my thought process a little to focus on the right wrist and arm given I feel I have more control being right handed. No ball here which I know is not ideal and I can see I need to find some more depth and to tackle my chronic head movement on the backswing, but in terms of the wrists and hand path, is this looking on the right track? My feeling is cast to 8 with the right wrist which puts it into extension, while also unfolding the right arm almost immediately. I've noticed the hands are getting down much more quickly and the shaft is definitely shallower coming in, so hopefully I'm on the right track...

No bueno, the butt of club is basically over your toes. 

6A6BCBFC-4CAA-4D4B-A057-D6CC8B3C8FF4.png.194f775f64827852918be8de9dd5b98b.png

9 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

No bueno, the butt of club is basically over your toes. 

6A6BCBFC-4CAA-4D4B-A057-D6CC8B3C8FF4.png.194f775f64827852918be8de9dd5b98b.png

I definitely need to work on the second part of the NTC backswing for sure. I used to pin my arm across my chest so still getting a feel for driving the depth with the turn rather than the arms. In terms of the downswing, notwithstanding the lack of depth at the top, are the wrist and hand movements looking correct?

6 minutes ago, Doodlebug87 said:

I definitely need to work on the second part of the NTC backswing for sure. I used to pin my arm across my chest so still getting a feel for driving the depth with the turn rather than the arms. In terms of the downswing, notwithstanding the lack of depth at the top, are the wrist and hand movements looking correct?

check out the Kwon active backswing, you could use a healthy dose of that. All you should be focused on imo. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Despite the passive aggressive snide comments from a certain know it all on this forum who doesn’t agree with my views on the swing, a real golfer understands the value of this move. 🤪

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cll7GQrtjVP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

not sure if this is directed at me or not since I was the last comment but if it was couldn't be further from the truth. I definitely see the value in the move, it's just not a one size fits all to me. 

You can visually see a cast move in JT's swing who is friends with Tiger and actually you can start to see a little cast in Charlies swing now from the latest swing I saw. Not surprising since he plays with JT all the time and gets help from his dad. Charlie had a flare to the right miss when watching him play from his body rotating so fast and clubhead not closing in time, that little cast was probably thrown in to help keep him in sync and it works.

41 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

not sure if this is directed at me or not since I was the last comment but if it was couldn't be further from the truth. I definitely see the value in the move, it's just not a one size fits all to me. 

You can visually see a cast move in JT's swing who is friends with Tiger and actually you can start to see a little cast in Charlies swing now from the latest swing I saw. Not surprising since he plays with JT all the time and gets help from his dad. Charlie had a flare to the right miss when watching him play from his body rotating so fast and clubhead not closing in time, that little cast was probably thrown in to help keep him in sync and it works.

Not you at all.  

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Despite the passive aggressive snide comments from a certain know it all on this forum who doesn’t agree with my views on the swing, a real golfer understands the value of this move. 🤪

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cll7GQrtjVP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That cast is why Homa won't win a major 😂.

• Like 1

Having dabbled with NTC off and on I am now committed to give the swing a full go.

The whole concept of the swing feels very alien to me so I am not expecting miracles early on.

At the moment I am rehearsing the moves at home. My thinking is that enough reps will get muscle memory working.

What is the best way to learn the swing? 

Work on each step individually until I feel comfortable? 

At present cast A is my nemesis. 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:34 AM, ToeHook said:

Having dabbled with NTC off and on I am now committed to give the swing a full go.

The whole concept of the swing feels very alien to me so I am not expecting miracles early on.

At the moment I am rehearsing the moves at home. My thinking is that enough reps will get muscle memory working.

What is the best way to learn the swing? 

Work on each step individually until I feel comfortable? 

At present cast A is my nemesis. 

You might consider getting some lessons from Monte directly. It will save you a lot of time and probably money in the long run. Plus you will learn more about your swing.

I have been incredibly busy and haven't played much golf at all since probably September.  I played two rounds over Thanksgiving and shot 78/79.  Played today and shot a 77.  The course plays to about 6,400 yards.  It's my home course and I'm familiar with it - which helps to probably 5 or 6 strokes.  But, I couldn't be happier with my ball striking given this time off.  

It's no doubt the time I devoted to NTC and EE over the last couple of years.  It's just so reliable and you can trust it.  

FWIW, a few things that seem to really work for me 1) getting to the 7'oclock position with full wrist c0ck (this has taken some work), 2) rotating to the 8'oclock position (which feels behind me - instead of lifting my arms from the 7 o'clock position - which took me a while to figure out), 3) maintain left tilt early in the downswing (doesn't feel powerful at all), and 4) not making a move towards the ball until my arms are below my waist.  

IDK....these may all be feels...but I'm liking the results.  

Oh, and...despite the recommendations for a faster backswing - I feel like I'm swinging slow to hit my positions, and feel like I'm getting very decent distance.  I'm sure it's a sync thing.  Mostly likely isn't going to work for a highly competitive golfer who needs serious distance.  I'm a 9 handicap and carry the driver about 230 yards and 7 iron 145.  

I'm having fun anyway....

• Like 2

Still grinding through this and absolutely love the feels.  I try to really focus on transition + cast A (7 out of every 10 balls I do the drill you see in my videos) but hope the backswing isn't too laid off? When I was playing my worst I was a major league across the line overswinging guy, which I really focused on fixing (with an alignment stick) in the months before I discovered NTC.  I think the slight layoff is a byproduct of the new wrist conditions I'm striving for with NTC.  I'm definitely not an overswinger anymore and thought I could "skip" his backswing concepts but would appreciate feedback about that or ANYTHING you see in my swing!

https://youtube.com/shorts/8DPrJgvMiFM?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/10_PRyiG-Dw?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/mWPHJzFIk38?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/620pMKXhMM0?feature=share

1 hour ago, Acooke2434 said:

Still grinding through this and absolutely love the feels.  I try to really focus on transition + cast A (7 out of every 10 balls I do the drill you see in my videos) but hope the backswing isn't too laid off? When I was playing my worst I was a major league across the line overswinging guy, which I really focused on fixing (with an alignment stick) in the months before I discovered NTC.  I think the slight layoff is a byproduct of the new wrist conditions I'm striving for with NTC.  I'm definitely not an overswinger anymore and thought I could "skip" his backswing concepts but would appreciate feedback about that or ANYTHING you see in my swing!

https://youtube.com/shorts/8DPrJgvMiFM?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/10_PRyiG-Dw?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/mWPHJzFIk38?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/620pMKXhMM0?feature=share

you are exactly the same as doodlebug above, no depth in the backswing and looks very short.

24 minutes ago, Acooke2434 said:

Yes you mentioned the backswing butt of club "being over the toes" not being great.  Where do we want it ideally?

Back of the trail heel area.

one example    https://www.instagram.com/p/Cera_KpqCmQ/?hl=en

Edited by glk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Do you guys think that Jack Nicklaus' famous quote that "you can't release the club too early" is a reference to wrist action from the top (cast A)?

Jack's full quote:

"But I can assure you I never tried to delay the hit or retain my wrist c0ck. That happens naturally, if you start with a proper grip, maintain a light grip pressure and keep your arms relaxed. It's impossible to release the club too early in the downswing -- as long as you move to your left side and swing the club from inside the target line."

• Like 1

I purchased the new NTC series and have a lot of thoughts about it (all good), but the biggest takeaway for me is that my swing feels athletic in the way that throwing a ball always has. Any thoughts of swing mechanics when I stand over the ball are gone, and now I just think about tempo and target.

The mental "click" for me was understanding the miniscule timescale that separates the various movements in the swing. I can't manufacture that sequence, but my body can do it intuitively just like a flinch when something comes towards your face. My focus now is to get my hands (wrists/arms) in a good enough position at the top and then let the semi-conscious/autonomous part of my brain take it from there. It's a great feeling to be freed up and I look forward to continued improvement as I keep drilling those movements and intentions into my swing pattern.

Kick a** program Monte! 

• Like 1

I set a reminder in my calendar to rewatch a section of the program every 2 months (I broke it down into 3 parts  "Backswing + Transition " /  "Cast A" / "Cast B") and I was surprised at how I had lost a key tenet in the backswing setup that was causing a transition/Cast A issue. Maybe I should make the calendar reminder monthly, haha. But all that being said I love having the on-demand video and I may have to take some virtual lessons from Monte in a few months once I am coming out of the winter. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

19 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I love having the on-demand video

Having easy access on my phone so I can review during a practice session has been great. In the past I had Post-It notes in my pockets that I had filled out while at my desk with lists of swing keys, intentions, drills, etc.; hoping to remember to do while practicing. 

• 2 weeks later...

@MonteScheinblumif a person is looking to use your methodology of teaching the golf swing and was going to purchase your bundle with NTC, Efficient Swing and Broom Force, what is the best series to start with?  Thanks

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

17 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

@MonteScheinblumif a person is looking to use your methodology of teaching the golf swing and was going to purchase your bundle with NTC, Efficient Swing and Broom Force, what is the best series to start with?  Thanks

Doesn’t really matter.  They are complementary and attack they siwng from different perspectives.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Doesn’t really matter.  They are complementary and attack they siwng from different perspectives.

Thanks Monte!

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star