2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

15 hours ago, mrjrogolfer said:

My question: has anyone attempted to incorporate this move (right foot goes clockwise in transition/downswing) into NTC?

Sometimes when I am struggling with spinning out I do what I think of as the "Scottie Scheffler" drill where I purposely slide my rear foot back like he does in his full swing. I will do that for 1-2 shots and then magically my hip spin out is gone. The only thing I don't like about Jake's video is it seems a little violent but I have had success feeling like I restrict my lead hip from turning in the downswing. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Just now, vandyfan said:

Sometimes when I am struggling with spinning out I do what I think of as the "Scottie Scheffler" drill where I purposely slide my rear foot back like he does in his full swing. I will do that for 1-2 shots and then magically my hip spin out is gone. The only thing I don't like about Jake's video is it seems a little violent but I have had success feeling like I restrict my lead hip from turning in the downswing. 

Yes, I think Jake's move and the Scheffler move are pretty similar. Keeping the right hip back seems to be a good proxy for both moves.

Just now, mrjrogolfer said:

Yes, I think Jake's move and the Scheffler move are pretty similar. Keeping the right hip back seems to be a good proxy for both moves.

Maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean you restrict the lead hip or rear hip from turning in the downswing? My understanding is lead hip turns back (toward the wall) and rear hip (right for a righty) stays against the wall, at least initially in the transition/downswing.

4 minutes ago, mrjrogolfer said:

Maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean you restrict the lead hip or rear hip from turning in the downswing?

I have less of an issue with early extending/throwing my trail hip towards the ball and just more of an issue opening up my lead hip too early (think of the "body lead swing" stuff). Obviously the hips are attached to the pelvis but it works better for me to think of it as limiting my lead hip opening up but really it is preventing both hips from flaring open. They do have to move laterally before I finish my backswing but not pivot if that makes sense. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Just now, vandyfan said:

I have less of an issue with early extending/throwing my trail hip towards the ball and just more of an issue opening up my lead hip too early (think of the "body lead swing" stuff). Obviously the hips are attached to the pelvis but it works better for me to think of it as limiting my lead hip opening up but really it is preventing both hips from flaring open. They do have to move laterally before I finish my backswing but not pivot if that makes sense. 

Got it, thanks.

5 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

First off, I liked the video……but oh the irony.  One of the members of elite golf schools went full slash and burn on me in multiple forums and multiple platforms for saying exactly this about 5 years ago.  He must be a member of the ground level pimple club.  There’s 4 of them, they meet in a tree house, strip down to their tightly whiteys, burn incense and read aloud from golf magazines from the 1950’s. Then they play 9 holes and anyone who breaks 50 wins a 6 pack of Zima.

Hilarious! I had never heard of them or their channel until that video randomly popped up in my YouTube suggestions/feed yesterday. Seemed like a solid demonstration (blatant ripoff?) of NTC concepts. Just goes to show you're ahead of the curve, Monte!

9 minutes ago, GolfSwang said:

Hilarious! I had never heard of them or their channel until that video randomly popped up in my YouTube suggestions/feed yesterday. Seemed like a solid demonstration (blatant ripoff?) of NTC concepts. Just goes to show you're ahead of the curve, Monte!

Did I interpret them correctlyto say that golfers who get shallow enough/club below plane and behind them in the downswing via other means may not need to ulnar deviate early? Does Monte agree?

I think Monte might say you're not doing quite enough of the "cast" move here. Right elbow could be a little bit wider here and just after impact.

image.png.da75c8b9153f382ac23b1492162ae258.png,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think Monte might say you're not doing quite enough of the "cast" move here. Right elbow could be a little bit wider here and just after impact.

image.png.da75c8b9153f382ac23b1492162ae258.png,

Thanks. So by that do you mean my right arm mor extended? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

50 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. So by that do you mean my right arm mor extended? 

Yes.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 10/31/2023 at 2:56 PM, mrjrogolfer said:

And assuming the "other means" is not dropping the right shoulder/early extending.

Yep I'd say that's what they are saying. Unless I'm mistaken the whole point of cast A is to get the center of mass behind the hands and get it on plane (or I guess under if really exaggerated) and it sets up cast B which is ultimately the release. So if you are steep or hitting out to in, more cast A / UD will take the path right. Please throttle me if this isn't accurate!

I'm making some good progress with Monte's cast A-B while also implementing the chest driven movement and flow which Elite Golf / Riley teaches. They pair really well as both Monte and Riley want to avoid the hips outracing the upper body / the arms getting stuck....

18 minutes ago, Doodlebug87 said:

Yep I'd say that's what they are saying. Unless I'm mistaken the whole point of cast A is to get the center of mass behind the hands and get it on plane (or I guess under if really exaggerated) and it sets up cast B which is ultimately the release. So if you are steep or hitting out to in, more cast A / UD will take the path right. Please throttle me if this isn't accurate!

I'm making some good progress with Monte's cast A-B while also implementing the chest driven movement and flow which Elite Golf / Riley teaches. They pair really well as both Monte and Riley want to avoid the hips outracing the upper body / the arms getting stuck....

I'm not tech savvy so go to Julian Mellor on You Tube How to Release the butt of the club. Very interesting if your release is problematic. Pairs well with Monte's Broom Force releasing the vertical hinge.

On 10/30/2023 at 11:07 AM, mrjrogolfer said:

Golfbeat do you find you have to consciously get the left shoulder around after getting it down and off the chin, or does it sort of naturally follow?

Recently it sort of naturally follows now that I do cast A with more relaxed hands and arms. That seems to kind of initiate the turn  more easily.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, just found this thread. maybe some know me out of another thread here 2 years ago. it is called "shank over shanks..."

People told me to go for NTC but for any reasons I did not believe in the throwing part and I only had the YouTube video and tried in the backyard with a light practice ball and shanked immediately. I think this was all I tried two years ago. I play okay´ish - index of 13.8 now but not because of great strikes 🙂 

i am always falling back into shanking sessions... bad rounds... all that stuff... I will go back to an old pro after Christmas, I was fitted for new clubs (T350 - I am not a long hitter 🙂 ) and I want to restart and yesterday (unfortuntely the next newsletter from Monte was the cyber monday deal :)) I bought ther NTC Series which is surprisingly short in terms of minutes but it sounds very simple and great to my swing AND especially I think it fits to the idea of my pro which I will see again.

he always tried me to get rid of shanks with exactly bowing the left wrist in transition and the idea that my club head should swipe along a imaginary wall behind me / or another idea: my clubbed should hit into the ground at 6,7,8pm.... AND with that ideas a couple of years ago I had the best and cleanest strikes in the pro lesson, but already the next day, nothing was left over.

So - i am resting at the moment and in Germany the weather is really bad to play but I cannot wait to test the drill/swing, give it ago...talk to my pro what I am trying to achieve...

i am fighting so long with shanks, I am completely emotional and I don't like this... especially when you have decent rounds but then 5 next rounds are crap.

the only question I have: is there more / hidden content or basically only the 20,30 minutes in total plus the lesson examples at the end?

Thanks a lot - great stuff, will read this thread here also the next days.

Edited by ralemb

35 minutes ago, ralemb said:

hi all, just found this thread. maybe some know me out of another thread here 2 years ago. it is called "shank over shanks..."

People told me to go for NTC but for any reasons I did not believe in the throwing part and I only had the YouTube video and tried in the backyard with a light practice ball and shanked immediately. I think this was all I tried two years ago. I play okay´ish - index of 13.8 now but not because of great strikes 🙂 

i am always falling back into shanking sessions... bad rounds... all that stuff... I will go back to an old pro after Christmas, I was fitted for new clubs (T350 - I am not a long hitter 🙂 ) and I want to restart and yesterday (unfortuntely the next newsletter from Monte was the cyber monday deal :)) I bought ther NTC Series which is surprisingly short in terms of minutes but it sounds very simple and great to my swing AND especially I think it fits to the idea of my pro which I will see again.

he always tried me to get rid of shanks with exactly bowing the left wrist in transition and the idea that my club head should swipe along a imaginary wall behind me / or another idea: my clubbed should hit into the ground at 6,7,8pm.... AND with that ideas a couple of years ago I had the best and cleanest strikes in the pro lesson, but already the next day, nothing was left over.

So - i am resting at the moment and in Germany the weather is really bad to play but I cannot wait to test the drill/swing, give it ago...talk to my pro what I am trying to achieve...

i am fighting so long with shanks, I am completely emotional and I don't like this... especially when you have decent rounds but then 5 next rounds are crap.

the only question I have: is there more / hidden content or basically only the 20,30 minutes in total plus the lesson examples at the end?

Thanks a lot - great stuff, will read this thread here also the next days.

I think that's what there is, but Monte has lots of free videos on his instagram page, many of which demonstrate the NTC concepts, especially shallowing with the wrists. They add some further dimension to the paid video. Monte also has a couple Instagram videos on his page where he fields questions about NTC and offers demonstrations. Finally, check out his original NTC video from about 10 years ago; a little different, but simpler, than the paid video. I've found it's still useful.

• Like 1

I took the plunge and bought this on a Black Friday sale.  I'm hoping the winter in Northern Illinois forces me to be patient, since I won't be on the course.

I have modest goals.  I shoot around 100, slice off the tee and can't outdrive my 86 year old father.  Wish I was being funny.  Hoping that changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Monte really knows his stuff.  I ordered his No Turn Cast video set a while back. It's such an amazing value.  The No Turn Cast is a game changer.  He actually makes sense of the golf swing, which is so difficult to do. The videos are a few minutes each and get right to the point.

I've been fortunate enough to get lessons in-person for the past several months.  If you're thinking of in-person or online lessons with him, it's definitely worth it.  It literally takes him one or two swings to identify your flaws. He doesn't try to correct all your faults at once.  During my instruction, he finds the first fault in the swing sequence and fixes that first.  In doing so, other issues later in the swing fix themselves.  I have had instructors who attempt to fit everything at once, and it can get overwhelming.  With Monte, it's a process to build a proper swing from the ground up.  

He reluctantly made changes to my grip.  As he put it, "I'd rather get back together with my ex-wife than change a golfer's grip, but you need this."  😀
The results have been fantastic.  His videos and lessons have been worth every penny.

• Like 4

Transition Move

I'm curious what others feel or do from the top of the back swing into impact as a transition move. I'm working on Cast A/B as well as some weight transfer but when I start thinking about getting from the backswing into impact, I'm not sure what the best feel is yet. 

Do others feel like they're right elbow rotating internally/adduction? 

Other thoughts or any of Monte's videos you can direct me to? 

Thanks! 

Edited by scopek

45 minutes ago, scopek said:

Transition Move

I'm curious what others feel or do from the top of the back swing into impact as a transition move. I'm working on Cast A/B as well as some weight transfer but when I start thinking about getting from the backswing into impact, I'm not sure what the best feel is yet. 

Thanks! 

This should help:

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/powershift

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 12/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, scopek said:

Transition Move

Thanks! 

Monte's Efficient Swing video gives several ideas on what downswing/transition thoughts to pair with Cast A. Personally I like getting left shoulder off the chin, which he talks about, but have tried other thoughts with some success, such as back to the target and left arm off the chest. A couple of his thoughts involve sitting or squatting into the downswing, they don't particularly resonate for me but for some they may help. Ditto right elbow chasing belly button, works for some but not me. You'll find Efficient Swing well worth the money (better than Power Shift or Broom Force IMO) because it provides a complete program. Good luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrjrogolfer said:

Monte's Efficient Swing video gives several ideas on what downswing/transition thoughts to pair with Cast A. Personally I like getting left shoulder off the chin, which he talks about, but have tried other thoughts with some success, such as back to the target and left arm off the chest. A couple of his thoughts involve sitting or squatting into the downswing, they don't particularly resonate for me but for some they may help. Ditto right elbow chasing belly button, works for some but not me. You'll find Efficient Swing well worth the money (better than Power Shift or Broom Force IMO) because it provides a complete program. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check out the Efficient Swing video. 

I submitted an online video to Monte, so I'll see what he says. But from experience, what I think I need to work on often ends up being something totally different after Monte takes a look. 😄

• Like 1

Can I just say that trying to incorporate Cast A/Throw 1 into my swing is a complete mind f*ck for me! 🤪 I 100% trust Monte that it's the right move and get it intellectually, but my brain keeps trying to rebel and it's taking a lot of mental energy to not want to go straight into the ball. It's going to take a LOT of reps....

12 hours ago, scopek said:

Can I just say that trying to incorporate Cast A/Throw 1 into my swing is a complete mind f*ck for me! 🤪 I 100% trust Monte that it's the right move and get it intellectually, but my brain keeps trying to rebel and it's taking a lot of mental energy to not want to go straight into the ball. It's going to take a LOT of reps....

I find that if I time my re-centering movement correctly eg as a right-hander weight to left side before completion of backswing arm-swing, cast A happens sort of automatically for me.

Its as if my body movement forward just creates a cast A, I don't have to think about it.

Maybe concentrating on your re-centering movement like this will work for you - just a thought.

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

7 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I find that if I time my re-centering movement correctly eg as a right-hander weight to left side before completion of backswing arm-swing, cast A happens sort of automatically for me.

Its as if my body movement forward just creates a cast A, I don't have to think about it.

Maybe concentrating on your re-centering movement like this will work for you - just a thought.

I'll give it a try. I just have very ingrained incorrect sequencing. It's just going to take some time to get the feels. 

42 minutes ago, scopek said:

I'll give it a try. I just have very ingrained incorrect sequencing. It's just going to take some time to get the feels. 

It's worth the effort, at the very least working on your re-centering will help significantly in correcting your sequencing. Don't give up quickly if you are correcting ingrained patterns, once you get even a few correct swings and strikes, you'll see it can work.

As an incentive thought: it is so enjoyable to compress the ball properly both in the feeling of the swing (body moving correctly) and the strike plus of course in the result.

Good luck.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

Just now, Rapidcat said:

It's worth the effort, at the very least working on your re-centering will help significantly in correcting your sequencing.

As an incentive: it is so enjoyable to compress the ball properly both in the feeling of the swing (body moving correctly) and the strike plus of course in the result.

Good luck.

Thanks....I'm guilty of going down the rabbit hole of trying "easier" swing methods such as Jim Venetos, Single Plane, and too many others to name. While those swings might work for others, I just want to learn a proper swing and will have to go through the process of it feeling awkward for a while. I'm all in, though. I signed up for the Improvement Plan for the year and bought a packet of online lessons. It will take time, but I'm tired of jumping from method to method.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scopek said:

I've worked on arms and wrists for over 2 yrs. and not the results I want. It's sequencing  for me too. Recentering before the BS ends does lower the hands if you don't think about it. I'm working on putting the club parallel to the ground and on my right hip and moving the club 90 degrees to impact and focusing on just lower body movements. I'm not yanking the club down, my pelvis is moving better IMO. and this helps me get my trail knee behind or in line with lead knee(goat humping). Using this drill and focusing on just the lower half seems better where the feet, knees, hip, torso, shoulders, arms and hands sequence better I'm hoping. Monte's Ground Force video. The drill is from Ben Hogan.

• Like 1