TaylorMade Sim DHY

RawDawg

10 minutes ago, RawDawg said:

I love the Hzrdus Smoke Black 90 in the U510 but that Diamana Thump 100 has me curious in the DHY.  I haven’t had a lot of luck finding any side by side comparisons.  

the Thump shaft is stock for the UDI not the DHY.  Diamana Limited Hybrid shaft is the stock for DHY.  You could always custom order the Thump in the DHY.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nickpiro said:

Following this for sure -

Currently gaming the U510 and really have enjoyed it.

What shaft do you have in yours? I have the Evenflow White 90 6.5(X) and jury is still out. It's hot, but I generate a lot of spin. On the range I hit it everywhere from 210 to 247. Hit it 256 out of the rough the other day on a string, but it definitely gets higher than I thought it might. On average I would say it goes as far as my 4wood, and I don't need to of the same kind of club in my bag. I wonder if I got a different shaft if it would bring launch down and get some more roll. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

12 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

What shaft do you have in yours? I have the Evenflow White 90 6.5(X) and jury is still out. It's hot, but I generate a lot of spin. On the range I hit it everywhere from 210 to 247. Hit it 256 out of the rough the other day on a string, but it definitely gets higher than I thought it might. On average I would say it goes as far as my 4wood, and I don't need to of the same kind of club in my bag. I wonder if I got a different shaft if it would bring launch down and get some more roll. 

I swapped the smoke that came in it, it felt too rigid for my liking. It now has a Adilia Rogue 85s from an old hybrid setup. Way better feel, but it is quite high of ball flight. Similar distances to what you stated but less of the jumpers, 215-230 range depending, with decent roll. 

I would love a little more of a boring flight with it and a tad more penetrating. Just haven’t experimented a ton with shafts. Also, curious on maybe getting the loft turned down a degree or 2 that could help with height too. 

Overall it has been an amazing fairway finder off the tee, it is hot and forgiving. My feeling is I’ll take the higher ball flight for the results all day long, but a little tuning could be a whole different level. 

Edited by nickpiro
  • Like 1

Tried the DHY, but with the Diamana Limited Hybrid stiff. Didn't like it. Light, whippy. The DHY didn't win me over wither with looks or feel, but I would like to try it with the Thump. Might bring it to life. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Whats the deal with the Thump shaft? its been out for a minute or two, no one cared, but not thats its in the SIM it's gaining popularity. Whats the diff between it and the Tensei White?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Whats the deal with the Thump shaft? its been out for a minute or two, no one cared, but not thats its in the SIM it's gaining popularity. Whats the diff between it and the Tensei White?

I heard it is kind of somewhere between made for and real deal. Feels pretty good. Not boardy, not whippy. I’ve yet to hit it with anything but range balls so time will tell. It’s up against a U510 with Evenflow White and I have the HMB WITH x100 comin too. So itll be interesting 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

7 minutes ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

I heard it is kind of somewhere between made for and real deal. Feels pretty good. Not boardy, not whippy. I’ve yet to hit it with anything but range balls so time will tell. It’s up against a U510 with Evenflow White and I have the HMB WITH x100 comin too. So itll be interesting 

Really? The graphics look exactly the same as the Thump v2 on the Mitsu website. To me it just seems they just had a crapload of them sitting around and they sold them to TM for the new SIM driving line.

Contrast that to the Titleist 818 hybrids which came with a real deal Tensei Pro blue/white which can be had for cheap as a pull.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

16 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

that’s a huge yardage variation. What use is a club like this with no predictable yardage?  Sounds like the 790 which also had these issues

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I have the new SIM DHY, #4 with the Thump 100X, tipped -1" firm, -1/4".

Only been tested off a range mat (I call them brillo pads as they are very stiff/thick).

Did hit some off the very sandy range turf...like hitting out of a fairway bunker with similar results.

So far the shaft is very stable, firm and consistent with the head producing a firm feel but mutted sound.

Hitting the ball high on the face does result in a higher flight with a bit of a click type sound.  Squatty face so this may be a more frequent occurrence.

Still testing but it may make the spot in my bag between the 5 iron and super hybrid.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

4 hours ago, Lemonde said:

that’s a huge yardage variation. What use is a club like this with no predictable yardage?  Sounds like the 790 which also had these issues

I agree, but again, range balls on a humid day....I played it tonight for 9 holes and hit it off of 3 tees along with the U510 2i. Distance seemed much more consistent (225-230ish) but tonight, the U510 was longer, higher, flatter. Really can't wait to try the Mizuno HMB "1" iron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Still testing but it may make the spot in my bag between the 5 iron and super hybrid.

I'm considering that same setup. I envision the DHY as a more consistent shot for 195-215 par 3's. I almost never feel confident hitting a hybrid on those shots. Then I'd look at lofting my 818 down to 20.25 or trying a 20° Super Hybrid for that next spot (2nd shot on par 5's and long recoveries).

I'm hoping to hear more about how functional the DHY is out of the rough, if it is useful beyond tee shots.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

I have the MMC Fli Hi, but I'm a true ho at heart and wouldn't mind some solid side-by-side testing of the new(er) utility irons...will follow for sure!

Vessel Player III Stand (White)

TaylorMade SIM 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6x
TaylorMade SIM Ti 15* Aldila XTorsion 70x
TaylorMade M4 19* Hybrid Fujikura Atmos S

Srixon Z u85 23* Graphite Design Tour AD-U 95s

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5 

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 52-10 | 56-10 | 60-10 Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Bettinardi Studio Stock 7 34" 
Titleist Pro V1x

Are these meant to be hit more like a fairway wood (sweeping swing), or more like an iron (steeper ascent angle)?  Looking for something to replace my old hybrids that's not so spiny for short par 4 tee shots and 2nd shots in to par 5’s. I’m more of a digger than a sweeper so I’m concerned if these would be right for me.

8 hours ago, SteveL1 said:

Are these meant to be hit more like a fairway wood (sweeping swing), or more like an iron (steeper ascent angle)?  Looking for something to replace my old hybrids that's not so spiny for short par 4 tee shots and 2nd shots in to par 5’s. I’m more of a digger than a sweeper so I’m concerned if these would be right for me.

They have a wide sole for an iron type club so picking will be better than "digging" with them.  You can dig some but don't go looking for gold nugget.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I have played both.  The Titleist is absolutely awful feeling so I couldn't get past that.  The DHY is very pleasant to the ear, is very confidence inspiring at address and overall just a great club.  There is less offset compared to the UDI and I just think it looks better in the hosel transition.  Why wouldn't you want to look down at something that looks easy to hit with little offset at this spot in the bag?!?!?

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

21 minutes ago, Masse1369 said:

I have played both.  The Titleist is absolutely awful feeling so I couldn't get past that.  The DHY is very pleasant to the ear, is very confidence inspiring at address and overall just a great club.  There is less offset compared to the UDI and I just think it looks better in the hosel transition.  Why wouldn't you want to look down at something that looks easy to hit with little offset at this spot in the bag?!?!?

Interesting. the U510 when hit in the middle to me feels like a hybrid. Just hot as crap. Anything out on the toe, is absolutely like hitting rocks. 

As bad as I hated the feel of the UDI, It's hard for me to believe the DHy is so much better feeling...may need to give it a look. 

The jury is still out on my new 4 & 3 DHY’s with the Diamana Limited shafts. I’ve played two rounds and four practice sessions so far and when hit in the middle of the face with a sweeping swing, they feel and sound great. The slightest steep swing or fat shot produces a horrible feel and clunky sound. Performance suffers greatly with miss hits. Was really hoping that these could replace my old hybrids, but so far, I’m not in love. Currently play original P790’s so I’m thinking that the UDI May be better suited to my swing. Also wondering if the 75g shaft is part of the problem as my irons are 105g KBS Tour Lite and these clubs feel really light.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:46 AM, WVP said:

I'm considering that same setup. I envision the DHY as a more consistent shot for 195-215 par 3's. I almost never feel confident hitting a hybrid on those shots. Then I'd look at lofting my 818 down to 20.25 or trying a 20° Super Hybrid for that next spot (2nd shot on par 5's and long recoveries).

I'm hoping to hear more about how functional the DHY is out of the rough, if it is useful beyond tee shots.

I'm shaky using my Titleist 818 hybrid, but hit the DHY during a fitting and was amazed by long straight bombs. I was fitted with the Accra TZ6 hybrid shaft, which felt nice. It would be hard for me to spend the $450 for the combination though. 

I like the dhy in my 4 irons slot. I put the thump x in it. I ordered it a bit too short. May grab a Ventus Black Hybrid to flatten the flight out of bit. It’s got a lot of potential. I been struggling here. Played the p760 set 4 iron, g410 hybrid, u85 4iron, p790 4i. I think the dhy has the most potential. 

Edited by Mookieb10

13 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Interesting. the U510 when hit in the middle to me feels like a hybrid. Just hot as crap. Anything out on the toe, is absolutely like hitting rocks. 

As bad as I hated the feel of the UDI, It's hard for me to believe the DHy is so much better feeling...may need to give it a look. 

I have not hit the UDI. Did you hit it outside with real balls? Did you ever learn to hit a 3 Wood? ?

• Haha 1

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

7 hours ago, Masse1369 said:

I have not hit the UDI. Did you hit it outside with real balls? Did you ever learn to hit a 3 Wood? ?

Yes to both. Well....technically a 4 wood. But you know what I mean! 

10 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Yes to both. Well....technically a 4 wood. But you know what I mean! 

He doesn’t need to hit the 3 wood lol

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

• 1 month later...

I hit the SIM DHY 3 and the SIM UDI 2. Oddly enough, they both went equal distance for me, but the UDI felt "tighter". I think I would have to stick the THUMP shaft into the DHY to get the feeling and dispersion I like. The diamana limited shaft just felt too loose and whippy for me. All in all, nice feeling off the face and good launch/spin numbers. swing speed was around 101-103 and carry was 230ish with both.

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

I cant speak or compare to the u510...but the ball speeds off the DHY are stoooopid.  

I have the 2 DHY with a Diamante Thump and it's an outstanding club.  Beat out my P790 UDI for ball speeds and the u85 for feel and forgiveness.  All of this validated on my gcquad. 

TMs hit a homerun. Its not exactly a looker however.