8-pw blades, are for lazy ball strikers

Am I the only one who loathes seeing people talk on blades just to boil it down to having your short clubs be the blades in your set. 
I feel like it’s limiting true potential to being truly competent in all areas of ballstriking. A part of me doesn’t believe that people have that big of a dispersion between 7-8 that that is where you should just accept playing blades. One thing I do get is other people’s integrity/ability isn’t not mine so I can’t just view it like that. 

It’s like at the very end of the day why are we always coming off like every strike will be a poor one so make sure your irons reflect that and if you dare pick a blade only keep them in your short end. For me it’s like a training tool as well , you felt that sting in your knuckles? Then stop hitting them thin, towards the toe etc. Learn from your trial and error and do better for your own sake and be competent and better than the last time. 

rant over. Lol 

• Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I like the look of them and just put as many in the bag as I can hit even remotely well. Fight me. 

• Like 4

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, golfandfishing said:

I go all woods until blade 8 iron - LW. Is that alright?  

lol i play a driver thats bigger than my knee cap is that alright with you? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jc0 said:

So you're saying the pros who play cavity backs are lazy ball strikers? The point of the game is supposed to be the best possible result regardless of the swing. If blades perform worse with the 7 and down then you don't play them. 

i may need to re articulate my post but no its for the ones who feel that confident need to spread that towards their striking with other clubs. my point is that you will get into a groove and soon it wont be about "well this is a t100 iron so i got all the forgiveness than a cb/mb"  but that your ability is preset regardless of the style club with all things equal. 

1 hour ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I like the look of them and just put as many in the bag as I can hit even remotely well. Fight me. 

Well you were #1 back in 2011 imma need you to put back the cbs so you can get into the mix again lol, but i appreciate that, my only point is ability will serve better than the club with all things being equal. 

I'm a high h.c. who learned to play with small clubs and play cheap blades from 5 on down that isn't impressing anyone and have tried GI but hit them worse, in fact I wondered why I even tried them. I like my blades because they are small, have very little offset which is impossible to find in a GI so I don't think hook. I have just recently decided to go with a shorter swing with these irons to be more consistent and I see doing this makes them a lot easier to hit. I feel like in a matter of months I will no longer be a high hc.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, chipa said:

I'm a high h.c. who learned to play with small clubs and play cheap blades from 5 on down that isn't impressing anyone and have tried GI but hit them worse, in fact I wondered why I even tried them. I like my blades because they are small, have very little offset which is impossible to find in a GI so I don't think hook. I have just recently decided to go with a shorter swing with these irons to be more consistent and I see doing this makes them a lot easier to hit. I feel like in a matter of months I will no longer be a high hc.

THIS, it is not necessarily that GI irons are bad or any particular iron style is better than another. Its just that you will soon get to a point from your "practice/training" that youll hone in on the positives and become better overall with strike ability. From there you are free to choose whichever iron you want that delivers the best result. 

Edited by SylvesterLundgren

14 minutes ago, shoot4par said:

Always thought iron sets similar to the 735cm's and cobra blended sets were quite attractive and functional. I wish Titleist still made a designated set that wasn't pieced together even though it would be redundant. 

yea the cobra S3 pro forged irons with the MB/CB looked the same aside from the cavity difference. I know the ZB forged irons blended together cavity, split cavity, MB if i remember correctly. Its kinda funny that now the hot topics are about "blending" irons together and what fits what. 

Nothing wrong with having a combo set.  Some golfers including pros prefer to go that way.  At one point i had Scratch AR-1 in my 4-6 and TM rac tp mb in 7-PW.  Played some of my best rounds with that set.  The tour pros these days also carry driving irons that are more forgiving and launch higher than the butter knives of old which were insanely difficult to hit. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

16 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

THIS, it is not necessarily that GI irons are bad or any particular iron style is better than another. Its just that you will soon get to a point from your "practice/training" that youll hone in on the positives and become better overall with strike ability. From there you are free to choose whichever iron you want that delivers the best result. 

I won't get better with GI irons because I hit them worse than my blades and I have no plans on trying another set. I know that seems illogical to some but honestly it seems illogical to me to play something that doesn't work for you even though the majority says it should.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

14 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Nothing wrong with having a combo set.  Some golfers including pros prefer to go that way.  At one point i had Scratch AR-1 in my 4-6 and TM rac tp mb in 7-PW.  Played some of my best rounds with that set.  The tour pros these days also carry driving irons that are more forgiving and launch higher than the butter knives of old which were insanely difficult to hit. 

for sure, my point is that from playing the "harder to play" clubs your ability becomes more defined and apparent with whatever set you come into play with.  you see the clubs in my sig. so it does look like im contradicting my post lol 

8 minutes ago, chipa said:

I won't get better with GI irons because I hit them worse than my blades and I have no plans on trying another set. I know that seems illogical to some but honestly it seems illogical to me to play something that doesn't work for you even though the majority says it should.

sometimes the bounce gets in the way on those GI clubs. I have seen people agree with your sentiments so youre not alone. lol I read ya clear 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Wish I had the AR1s, but I have the 2-5 TM300Forged, 6-9 rac smoke TPMBs, Scratch 47/53/59.  Probably going to swap the TM300F 6iron into the set - TPMB wasn't enough for 10 rounds/year.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

4 hours ago, D0ch0l1d4y said:

Wish I had the AR1s, but I have the 2-5 TM300Forged, 6-9 rac smoke TPMBs, Scratch 47/53/59.  Probably going to swap the TM300F 6iron into the set - TPMB wasn't enough for 10 rounds/year.

Your set is a true classic.  Do you know how many people would give their first born children for that set?  😁

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

for sure, my point is that from playing the "harder to play" clubs your ability becomes more defined and apparent with whatever set you come into play with.  you see the clubs in my sig. so it does look like im contradicting my post lol 

:classic_rolleyes:

Whew. Thanks. I thought all along this was just another "Blades make you concentrate more" thread but was starting to doubt it,,,,,,,,,, until your post.

And BTW, you don't appear to HAVE a signature,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

The only thing I loathe is seeing people judge other people's choices in life, but especially something as trivial as the types of equipment one uses to play a game.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_rolleyes:

Whew. Thanks. I thought all along this was just another "Blades make you concentrate more" thread but was starting to doubt it,,,,,,,,,, until your post.

And BTW, you don't appear to HAVE a signature,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_biggrin:

oh yeah i forgot the update may have deleted my stuff, but i play 716 ap2s along with a tmb 4i. I came from playing mizuno mp62s which may have had a slight cavity but lets be real they were as blade as they come.  lol

51 minutes ago, juststeve said:

Very few of the current tour pros carry a blade as their least lofted iron.  Why should anyone else?

Steve

Im really speaking on the ability you develop not so much of the prestige of playing blades through your whole set.  i also just dislike when people limit themselves to just the lower end of the bag. lol but i play a tmb 4 iron im not necessarily hating those who dont play blades its just the topic that ensues. lol

One of the best players I know uses those Cleveland hybrids all the way through his bag. A trophy case full of wins in our region. I play single length shovels. 

Play blades. Play combo sets. Play hybrids. Play whatever the heck you want...The goal is to post low scores not play the nicest clubs. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, toc said:

The only thing I loathe is seeing people judge other people's choices in life, but especially something as trivial as the types of equipment one uses to play a game.

lol well im just the person who wants to see people reach their highest highs, not hating people for their choices but just dislike that "they" could become more but potentially shoehorn their ability. lol im not that invested in pointing out peoples bag because if it comes down to it we can always head to the first tee and see what your salt is. 

4 minutes ago, Mcgeeno said:

One of the best players I know uses those Cleveland hybrids all the way through his bag. A trophy case full of wins in our region. I play single length shovels. 

Play blades. Play combo sets. Play hybrids. Play whatever the heck you want...The goal is to post low scores not play the nicest clubs. 

correct but i am really just speaking on the ability you develop and share from transitioning and becoming adept. 

Ive been noticing the trends of people playing "player" GI irons and still shooting low. The course doesnt care what clubs you use, i feel ya.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

correct but i am really just speaking on the ability you develop and share from transitioning and becoming adept

Ive been noticing the trends of people playing "player" GI irons and still shooting low. The course doesnt care what clubs you use, i feel ya.

What you seem to be missing is the amount of time and effort, not to mention lessons, that the average amateur has, to devote to striking the center of the face as often as possible.

Most scratch and better players, those who are most likely to be using blades, have likely been beating balls since they were 8 - and doing it almost daily,,,,,,, for hours at a time.

Most recreational and even serious amateurs work a full-time job, most have families, etc. They barely have time to hit a bucket. And they're happy if they can play once a week. They do not have the time to devote to what amounts to a hobby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

6 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

correct but i am really just speaking on the ability you develop and share from transitioning and becoming adept. 

OK I think I get ya.

I went through some blade sets over the years. Loved the look, feel and control when my swing was on.

In the end it was all about score for me and with more forgiving clubs my good scores were similar and my bad rounds werent as bad.

I could see the merits of new golfers practicing with blades to develop better sweet spot contact. 

40 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

But you care what clubs everyone else uses. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

But you care what clubs everyone else uses. 

nien good sir, I understand at the end of the day just like the michigan (U of M)  golf coach shared to me. you still have to hit the shot and make the putt regardless of the set of tees or clubs that are used.  my OG point was that people will just assume their best ability will be in the lower end of the set when they probably have it in them (potentially)to play better/higher but just play it down. 

39 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

What you seem to be missing is the amount of time and effort, not to mention lessons, that the average amateur has, to devote to striking the center of the face as often as possible.

Most scratch and better players, those who are most likely to be using blades, have likely been beating balls since they were 8 - and doing it almost daily,,,,,,, for hours at a time.

Most recreational and even serious amateurs work a full-time job, most have families, etc. They barely have time to hit a bucket. And they're happy if they can play once a week. They do not have the time to devote to what amounts to a hobby. 

i always thought catching the center was due to length and lie?  personally hitting the center isnt a feat, its more of the pathing that puts me in the trouble. lol but like i said in the OP thats my ability not the masses. I could post my smash factor avg. from march when i was three weeks and a car drive cold swinging and the only thing the fitter was telling me was "how come i wasnt putting speed in my swing"

Again this is MY ability/natural swing and in the future i may have life obligations that will take away from this ability, but my OG point is that through that effort/time you could help yourself down the road with a strong basis of contact/ability through any other set you encounter.