8-pw blades, are for lazy ball strikers

1 hour ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

Im really speaking on the ability you develop not so much of the prestige of playing blades through your whole set.  i also just dislike when people limit themselves to just the lower end of the bag. lol but i play a tmb 4 iron im not necessarily hating those who dont play blades its just the topic that ensues. lol

The least lofted iron I carry is a five iron.  After that a 23 degree and a 19 degree hybrid.  I carry them because I hit them higher and land them softer.  I don't feel that I have limited mysely in any way.  To the contrary I score better with the hybrids in place of the 3 and 4 irons.  Why would you dislike that?

Steve

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

i always thought catching the center was due to length and lie?  personally hitting the center isnt a feat, its more of the pathing that puts me in the trouble. lol but like i said in the OP thats my ability not the masses. I could post my smash factor avg. from march when i was three weeks and a car drive cold swinging and the only thing the fitter was telling me was "how come i wasnt putting speed in my swing"

Again this is MY ability/natural swing and in the future i may have life obligations that will take away from this ability, but my OG point is that through that effort/time you could help yourself down the road with a strong basis of contact/ability through any other set you encounter. 

Perhaps you are more gifted than the average am ? I don't recall you mentioning how you actually play.

Nevertheless, personally I hit the sweet spot more with a putter than when I'm chipping. I hit the center more when chipping than I do when pitching. More SS hits with my SW than my 9 iron. More,,,,,,,,,, well, I guess you get my drift.

Shorter clubs and shorter swings produce more center hits. Note "more". You think it's not a feat ? Good on ya mate. 👍

(And BTW, it's "Nein", not "Nien". :classic_smile: )

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

@SylvesterLundgren  Your perception is a bit confusing, maybe an error in judgment.

I been played 2-PW blades for over thirty years, old style blades too.  Switched to blades about eight months after taking up the game.  Each week I hit between 1000-1500 balls for close to five years, do the practice math.  Old style means not nearly as forgiving as those put out by TM and Mizuno and other OEM's today.  Where the dime sized COG is closer to the heal, higher on the face and closer to the face.  

Assume as you chose, but hitting 620 7 or 9MB is close to being as challenging as the 4i.  Reason being, 620MBs are not designed like Callaway, TM or Mizuno MB's which have a slightly larger COG and centred between the heal and toe, slightly low and back which makes them easier to hit, thanks to CAD.  I couldn't believe how easy Callaway's Apex MB are to hit, like hitting GI CB irons.  Thank you technology.

Anyway, I am using a non-traditional blended bag because at 70 it's time.  Currently, I vary 620 CB irons with MB irons because I can.  Though 3-4i have tungsten in the heal and toe, they can still be challenging to properly smack.  Even though Titleist did a wonderful job of designing 620 CBs to blend and play "like" 620 MBs, not the other way around, they still require proper attention to detail. 

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

It’s just a game.  We all, myself included, sometimes think of it as more than that, but it is just a game.  If a club makes it easier that’s a good thing.  I still have the same amount of time to practice my ballstriking etc.  I could argue that anyone who is less than a + handicap should not have any true blades in their bag.  But I wouldn’t because it’s just a game and if some people give up a few strokes to play a blade (which they almost certainly do) but it makes it more fun, then they should play them as much as they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Perhaps you are more gifted than the average am ? I don't recall you mentioning how you actually play.

Nevertheless, personally I hit the sweet spot more with a putter than when I'm chipping. I hit the center more when chipping than I do when pitching. More SS hits with my SW than my 9 iron. More,,,,,,,,,, well, I guess you get my drift.

Shorter clubs and shorter swings produce more center hits. Note "more". You think it's not a feat ? Good on ya mate. 👍

(And BTW, it's "Nein", not "Nien". :classic_smile: )

I feel every thing youre saying however youre misinterpreting what i mean. For MY standard, hitting the center isnt a feat as in "im not always shook" that i caught the middle on every other shot.  lol i make center face contact i wont say that i dont have mishits cause i do, but more often than not my shot is center faced. 

Sorry if how the tone of the post came off im not sitting on a high throne and everyone NOT playing blades is beneath me. 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

28 minutes ago, jomatty said:

It’s just a game.  We all, myself included, sometimes think of it as more than that, but it is just a game.  If a club makes it easier that’s a good thing.  I still have the same amount of time to practice my ballstriking etc.  I could argue that anyone who is less than a + handicap should not have any true blades in their bag.  But I wouldn’t because it’s just a game and if some people give up a few strokes to play a blade (which they almost certainly do) but it makes it more fun, then they should play them as much as they want.

correct i am not arguing that. my point is if youre establishing blade level ability you could push yourself to be playing them instead of letting mental or possible physical obstacles get in the way. but i may have not said it how i should have lol 

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

@SylvesterLundgren  Your perception is a bit confusing, maybe an error in judgment.

I been played 2-PW blades for over thirty years, old style blades too.  Switched to blades about eight months after taking up the game.  Each week I hit between 1000-1500 balls for close to five years, do the practice math.  Old style means not nearly as forgiving as those put out by TM and Mizuno and other OEM's today.  Where the dime sized COG is closer to the heal, higher on the face and closer to the face.  

Assume as you chose, but hitting 620 7 or 9MB is close to being as challenging as the 4i.  Reason being, 620MBs are not designed like Callaway, TM or Mizuno MB's which have a slightly larger COG and centred between the heal and toe, slightly low and back which makes them easier to hit, thanks to CAD.  I couldn't believe how easy Callaway's Apex MB are to hit, like hitting GI CB irons.  Thank you technology.

Anyway, I am using a non-traditional blended bag because at 70 it's time.  Currently, I vary 620 CB irons with MB irons because I can.  Though 3-4i have tungsten in the heal and toe, they can still be challenging to properly smack.  Even though Titleist did a wonderful job of designing 620 CBs to blend and play "like" 620 MBs, not the other way around, they still require proper attention to detail. 

maybe youll be able to bring in my point even further.

Because of the established trial and error and time put in. your ability is now established in a way that if someone/fitter handed you a callaway x forged/mb.cb  or mizuno mp 18 sc/ 20 mb/mmc etc 

your skillset from the past will have you unfazed and striking it (relatively) the same as those mbs of yesteryear. (better results obvs. like you stated) 

now where im coming from is that with your skillset youre able to know how to functionally strike 4-pw, what im trying to say is people who become confident enough to want to play a blade stop themselves at 8-pw. To me what i have issue with,  is just that i dont like how people will sell themselves short and "perceive" that they wont always have the ability to strike anything above that. WITH ALL THINGS EQUAL,  how could not make it a 7 iron (stronger lofted 8 iron<sorry this is how i view my clubs) or even a 6 iron it isnt specific to any particular set makeup. 

I really do understand that this range is the most consistent, what i am just saying is come to the other side and youll find youll still strike that 7 iron(MB) at 150 just like you do with the ap2/mmc 😆 

Really what people are not reading off me is that i just dislike the MINDSET, even with the data showing you that X is better than Y. but most of what im attracted is the crowd who are just playing a game and having a good time, which is exactly what i do as well. 

I just dislike the common thought of just keeping it regulated towards the short end. this is MY personal irritation lol not hating on any one in particular nor actual person who has this make up. ITS JUST THE NOTATION is all

6 hours ago, juststeve said:

The least lofted iron I carry is a five iron.  After that a 23 degree and a 19 degree hybrid.  I carry them because I hit them higher and land them softer.  I don't feel that I have limited mysely in any way.  To the contrary I score better with the hybrids in place of the 3 and 4 irons.  Why would you dislike that?

Steve

it doesnt make me mad at all. i meant in the discussion surrounding blades lol its all good. as long as you can play to your full potential sounds good to me 👍

8 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

oh yeah i forgot the update may have deleted my stuff, but i play 716 ap2s along with a tmb 4i. I came from playing mizuno mp62s which may have had a slight cavity but lets be real they were as blade as they come.  lol

As blade as they come?

these are blades....

image.jpeg.b9d1690906ba3498dcb9065b870a7e81.jpeg
these are not...
image.jpeg.5d111d1ecafacdfd1038eaa9cab52ad0.jpeg

these are not

image.jpeg.8580c2655f8798cd8c01e32bc7895d2c.jpeg

these are not. 

Edited by Shilgy
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

OP.  Would you agree that in general the pros on tour are the most talented players in the world when it comes to golf. The talent is scoring under pressure...not being “able” to play a blade iron. You may think it best to use a blade because it somehow develops skill but if only 10% or so or the best play blades why should the guys reading this thread? Defies logic really. And you seem to be using a form of logic in this thread. 

Everyone plays the game best with the clubs that work best for them. A US Open was won with these...

image.jpeg.6209475bdd21626a13447ef9ec071754.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

As blade as they come?

these are blades....

image.jpeg.b9d1690906ba3498dcb9065b870a7e81.jpeg
these are not...
image.jpeg.5d111d1ecafacdfd1038eaa9cab52ad0.jpeg

these are not

image.jpeg.8580c2655f8798cd8c01e32bc7895d2c.jpeg

these are not. 

lol but unlike you and most of the people citing pros and ability. 

most would classify the mizuno in the blade category, if you want to pull ahead because of a technicality then you got it, the nikes i will admit are not but they do have a thinner topline that will make most people get nervous. 

if they were the 63-64 with that more defined diamond pad i would concede my point but the 62s are bladeir even with that "slight cavity" and most wouldnt even play them 4-pw like i did. theres a reason some people didnt see too much of a difference when they would combo these with the blades. but youre still right lol

9 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

All of my irons are butter knives.

legacy.JPG

IMG_1164.PNG

noice i got some macgregor mx custom irons in the garage,  very noice

On 10/27/2020 at 4:01 PM, Jc0 said:

So you're saying the pros who play cavity backs are lazy ball strikers? The point of the game is supposed to be the best possible result regardless of the swing. If blades perform worse with the 7 and down then you don't play them. 

For most of us the 'point' of the game is to enjoy ourselves. There was a time when that meant the lowest score possible to me, but now I have to admit I am willing to forgo a few strokes here and there to play equipment I enjoy even it if it no the best for my game.

11 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Calling a MP62 a blade, epitome of a lazy ball striker if I've ever seen one

least i went 4- pw and didnt get nervous standing over them like most of the people in this comment section lol 

the point has flown over most of the peoples heads and ive already said its the notion of saying you just have to play 8-pw. 

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

OP.  Would you agree that in general the pros on tour are the most talented players in the world when it comes to golf. The talent is scoring under pressure...not being “able” to play a blade iron. You may think it best to use a blade because it somehow develops skill but if only 10% or so or the best play blades why should the guys reading this thread? Defies logic really. And you seem to be using a form of logic in this thread. 

Everyone plays the game best with the clubs that work best for them. A US Open was won with these...

image.jpeg.6209475bdd21626a13447ef9ec071754.jpeg

yes i am not contesting the ability of pros who do not play a specific set up. really i was commenting on the notion and how us regular folks who subscribed to that type of notion. its really the "air" of the talk i dislike not so much any particular person or set make up. lol I keep reiterating this 

1 hour ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

least i went 4- pw and didnt get nervous standing over them like most of the people in this comment section lol 

the point has flown over most of the peoples heads and ive already said its the notion of saying you just have to play 8-pw. 

Making excuses...classic sign of a lazy ball striker. I bet you used to anchor your putter

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

Making excuses...classic sign of a lazy ball striker. I bet you used to anchor your putter

equipped with the thick coca cola superstroke grip 😆 

20 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

maybe youll be able to bring in my point even further.

Because of the established trial and error and time put in. your ability is now established in a way that if someone/fitter handed you a callaway x forged/mb.cb  or mizuno mp 18 sc/ 20 mb/mmc etc 

your skillset from the past will have you unfazed and striking it (relatively) the same as those mbs of yesteryear. (better results obvs. like you stated) 

now where im coming from is that with your skillset youre able to know how to functionally strike 4-pw, what im trying to say is people who become confident enough to want to play a blade stop themselves at 8-pw. To me what i have issue with,  is just that i dont like how people will sell themselves short and "perceive" that they wont always have the ability to strike anything above that. WITH ALL THINGS EQUAL,  how could not make it a 7 iron (stronger lofted 8 iron<sorry this is how i view my clubs) or even a 6 iron it isnt specific to any particular set makeup. 

I really do understand that this range is the most consistent, what i am just saying is come to the other side and youll find youll still strike that 7 iron(MB) at 150 just like you do with the ap2/mmc 😆 

Really what people are not reading off me is that i just dislike the MINDSET, even with the data showing you that X is better than Y. but most of what im attracted is the crowd who are just playing a game and having a good time, which is exactly what i do as well. 

I just dislike the common thought of just keeping it regulated towards the short end. this is MY personal irritation lol not hating on any one in particular nor actual person who has this make up. ITS JUST THE NOTATION is all

As I said, you're welcome to your mindset and play what ever you chose.  However, your mindset rightfully ends with you and your ability.   I have full sets of MB's as well as GI CBs and have nothing to prove to anyone, and I am sure, not alone either.

You're "assuming" because someone has less than a full set of blades in the bag some how that equates to selling the user short.  IMO it's not only a HUGE assumption, but an error in judgment, too boot.   I learned a long time ago, NOT to assume people have desire, talent and goals similar to myself, as it's a recipe for refusal followed by frustration, maybe even disappointment.  

Each of us are motivated differently, different goals, lack of goals and varied skill, thus, our choice in clubs shouldn't be a point of concern for anyone.  What you're suggesting is tantamount to me saying to YOU, you should play a 2 & 3 iron instead of hybrids or wood because "I like them" over hybrids and woods.  And you should drive a GT3 because it's a fantastic car. 

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

As I said, you're welcome to your mindset and play what ever you chose.  However, your mindset rightfully ends with you and your ability.   I have full sets of MB's as well as GI CBs and have nothing to prove to anyone, and I am sure, not alone either.

You're "assuming" because someone has less than a full set of blades in the bag some how that equates to selling the user short.  IMO it's not only a HUGE assumption, but an error in judgment, too boot.   I learned a long time ago, NOT to assume people have desire, talent and goals similar to myself, as it's a recipe for refusal followed by frustration, maybe even disappointment.  

Each of us are motivated differently, different goals, lack of goals and varied skill, thus, our choice in clubs shouldn't be a point of concern for anyone.  What you're suggesting is tantamount to me saying to YOU, you should play a 2 & 3 iron instead of hybrids or wood because "I like them" over hybrids and woods.  And you should drive a GT3 because it's a fantastic car. 

not assuming, again i dislike the NOTION of this topic. 

let me be clear what ever someone has in their bag will not influence how ill play, if i was playing golf against whoever, i would want you to be at your full potential.

I just dislike the talk of playing blades and how it dwindles down to just playing 8-pw. that is all lol 

I appreciate that bit about different goals, I am motivated in not leaving my potential on the table to excuses (i.e. if i didnt  play for 3 weeks, i didnt play for 3 weeks, so i cant get mad my touch isnt there or my wedge pitches are chunky etc) but i will try to play to the best of my ability and pick up the pieces.  what you put in, is what you get out and thats why i love the game of golf. 

youre right also i do have a issue w thinking people have the same integrity as me. I like to think others carry some version of this with themselves, but it may present itself different than i "present" it. lol 

BUT like others i do intend to have FUN so in no way am i pushing for those to make it hard on themselves. 

PLUS i just made the headline in the light that i did to drum up a response. lol I did succeed in that 

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

I think I can sum up this thread.

LMAO youre alright in my book.  hey wellness is a real thing!  

31 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

not assuming, again i dislike the NOTION of this topic. 

let me be clear what ever someone has in their bag will not influence how ill play, if i was playing golf against whoever, i would want you to be at your full potential.

I just dislike the talk of playing blades and how it dwindles down to just playing 8-pw. that is all lol 

I appreciate that bit about different goals, I am motivated in not leaving my potential on the table to excuses (i.e. if i didnt  play for 3 weeks, i didnt play for 3 weeks, so i cant get mad my touch isnt there or my wedge pitches are chunky etc) but i will try to play to the best of my ability and pick up the pieces.  what you put in, is what you get out and thats why i love the game of golf. 

youre right also i do have a issue w thinking people have the same integrity as me. I like to think others carry some version of this with themselves, but it may present itself different than i "present" it. lol 

BUT like others i do intend to have FUN so in no way am i pushing for those to make it hard on themselves. 

PLUS i just made the headline in the light that i did to drum up a response. lol I did succeed in that 

Most people that play blades, play a full set... though the set may end at 5 or 4i then hybrids.  When I have the full set in the bag, its PW-2i, other times it's a blended set, that can be any configuration, as I have both sets.   

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Most people that play blades, play a full set... though the set may end at 5 or 4i then hybrids.  When I have the full set in the bag, its PW-2i, other times it's a blended set, that can be any configuration, as I have both sets.   

ive never played a 2 iron, or swung one so i would try one if i could. lol 

19 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Never even tried? You should change your user name to Lazy Mclazyface

lol ive hit a old (?90s era?) or so driving iron that was 18 degrees but ive never put that into play. there may be a spaulding 2 iron out in the garage thats a butter knife. I can hit a 3 iron, and play both my woods off turf and the tee. lol i just havent gotten access to a 2 iron of this decade pr swung one these past years lol