Callaway Mavrik wall of tour models

ShAMbotay

I've been looking over the whopping 15 different Mavrik driver models on the USGA conforming list, and wanted to know the different nuances each model has compared to others in it's category. I have many questions, and I don't need sleep, I need answers!

Mavrik: shelf model
Mavrik single diamond: has subzero weight configuration. is that the only thing that's different from the standard mavrik? how does it compare to a shelf subzero model?

Mavrik (version 3): no graphic on face. again, is the graphic the only difference?

Mavrik 440: obvious things are obvious

Mavrik max tour: missing face graphic. same question?

Mavrik Max: shelf model

Mavrik Max single diamond: has weight in front instead of heel, as in subzero. How does it compare to the single diamond Mavrik and the shelf subzero?

Mavrik Max LS: has LS on the heel, also doesn't have the heel weight. does LS mean low spin on a Max? this one seems like it has a lot of overlap with the standard Mavrik, the Max, and maybe even the GBB B21 as an attempt at a low spin forgiving model.
Mavrik Max Fast: single heel weight, carbon fiber sole, different paint scheme, bonded hosel. this one is pretty obviously aimed at removing weight from the head by cutting out features present in other heads, and is probably a lower cost option, too.

Mavrik Max Lite: same as the fast, just with the regular color scheme. I suspect the fast is for Japan, and the Lite is for USA, and they're meant to be the *star version of the Mavrik

Mavrik subzero tour: missing face graphic. only difference?

Mavrik Sub Zero: Shelf model

Mavrik Sub Zero single diamond: Can't tell any differences other than the missing face graphic. how is it different than any of the other single diamonds or even the shelf sub zero?

Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond: no explanation needed here. it's the only tour model that I can find plenty of results for, and lots of them.

Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond LS: this one baffles me, tbh, I have no idea what to make of it.

Sorry for the wall, but there's a literal wall's worth of Mavrik models to learn about, and hardly any information out there to learn from. any input or info is appreciated

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

• 7 months later...

Old thread but the differences between Callaway’s Mavrik Max and Mavrik Max Single Diamond drivers are as follows:

The clubhead volume of the Mavrik Max Single Diamond driver is 450cc compared to 460cc Mavrik Max driver

The weight ports make the driver much more neutral (less draw bias than Mav Max)

Launch and spin profile will be similar – mid launch/mid spin

Footprint is more compact – slightly deeper face vs a wider face on Mav Max

Flatter lie angle

Straighter leading edge vs Mav Max

• 5 months later...

Is it just me or does that seem excessive? Having not looked at Callaway drivers, I'm not used to seeing 42 variations of a given model. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/callaway-mavrik-max-lite-driver-women-version.html

11.5* 13*  40g Diamana shaft. A flex is 44.25 inches. C0  L flex is 43.75 inches.  B8

Lite means low swing weight version, 40 g shaft. 

Swing weight of the Lite women's irons is C2. 40LL shafts.  The regular women's irons have 50L shafts.  L shafts are stiffer than LL shafts.

Edited by ShortGolfer

In an orderly world, this is how things would shake out...

• Mavrik SubZero cluster: This is basically the pro head, delivering lower spinning flight
  • Mavrik cluster: This would be middle-earth head, basically starting at neutral on head configuration, with tweaks available for fade and draw settings.
  • Mavrik Max cluster: This would be draw-biased, with higher lofts available.

Oddest offering: Mavrik max tour seems like an oxymoron. An SGI tour head? Which niche does this cater to.

Most interesting offering: Sub Zero LS... pro head with super low spin? For people who normally play in a 40 MPH wind?

Reminds me of 2011 Razr year for Callaway irons:  Callaway watchers were debating whether the Razr family had six or seven models (depending on whom you talked to, the Razr Proto was either limited-access offering, or a special order open for all). Memory lane tour...

Razr X Forged | Razr X Tour | Razr X Black | Razr X | Razr XF | Razr X HL || Razr X MB

The original Prototype (lower) morphed into the Razr X Muscleback model. image.png.ffbdf6c6af259fa945fe369fd138a69f.png

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/20/2020 at 5:48 PM, ShAMbotay said:

I've been looking over the whopping 15 different Mavrik driver models on the USGA conforming list, and wanted to know the different nuances each model has compared to others in it's category. I have many questions, and I don't need sleep, I need answers!

Mavrik: shelf model
Mavrik single diamond: has subzero weight configuration. is that the only thing that's different from the standard mavrik? how does it compare to a shelf subzero model?

Mavrik (version 3): no graphic on face. again, is the graphic the only difference?

Mavrik 440: obvious things are obvious

Mavrik max tour: missing face graphic. same question?

Mavrik Max: shelf model

Mavrik Max single diamond: has weight in front instead of heel, as in subzero. How does it compare to the single diamond Mavrik and the shelf subzero?

Mavrik Max LS: has LS on the heel, also doesn't have the heel weight. does LS mean low spin on a Max? this one seems like it has a lot of overlap with the standard Mavrik, the Max, and maybe even the GBB B21 as an attempt at a low spin forgiving model.
Mavrik Max Fast: single heel weight, carbon fiber sole, different paint scheme, bonded hosel. this one is pretty obviously aimed at removing weight from the head by cutting out features present in other heads, and is probably a lower cost option, too.

Mavrik Max Lite: same as the fast, just with the regular color scheme. I suspect the fast is for Japan, and the Lite is for USA, and they're meant to be the *star version of the Mavrik

Mavrik subzero tour: missing face graphic. only difference?

Mavrik Sub Zero: Shelf model

Mavrik Sub Zero single diamond: Can't tell any differences other than the missing face graphic. how is it different than any of the other single diamonds or even the shelf sub zero?

Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond: no explanation needed here. it's the only tour model that I can find plenty of results for, and lots of them.

Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond LS: this one baffles me, tbh, I have no idea what to make of it.

Sorry for the wall, but there's a literal wall's worth of Mavrik models to learn about, and hardly any information out there to learn from. any input or info is appreciated

Time to start your spring fitness routine ?

Too Much Fun Christmas GIF by Peloton

IDK but my 10.5 retail head is such a great performer.  This has to be the only head I have had twice (two different but same loft) and have had the same results with.  I was never a Callaway person so I can't add to the different variations as it's clear I only need this one!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 2 months later...

Sorry this is an old thread but this driver seems quite elusive for some.  When I was fitted they said this head was 450 cc it's 57.3 lie angle and 7.8 actual loft.  It has a really square face at only -.6 face angle so it doesn't look like it's aiming righter!  I was having issues with Sub Zero miss hits and this head just consistently puts out 2200 spin on a cut and 19 to 2k on a draw.  It's so consistent I couldn't not play it.  The ball comes off the head so straight. Excuse the speed I'm coming off a second should surgery in 2 years but you can see the smash is up there.

C27A6C46-A8A4-4E4C-B242-BDCBD0AC99B1.jpeg

E38D6125-8AA1-4296-ADF1-DF01EEBC0C8C.jpeg

91DBC5F9-6A32-4F83-AAEB-16955D04630C.jpeg

ED5CE0FE-06EF-41C6-802B-99763D7358D0.jpeg

9EF5B698-57BF-42FE-A996-2531A203FA07.jpeg

280295EA-5B48-4BFF-B7E5-FC8D01EB5024.png

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

• 2 months later...

I know a bunch of people have been looking for this info, so here it is. Specs for the Mavrik Max Single Diamond.

But for me this opens up more questions than it answers 🤣 like how is this different than the Mav SZ TD model or etc 450cc models?

IMG_4231.PNG.3a8e43107264acb4669525d6d65da916.PNG

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I know a bunch of people have been looking for this info, so here it is. Specs for the Mavrik Max Single Diamond.

But for me this opens up more questions than it answers 🤣 like how is this different than the Mav SZ TD model or etc 450cc models?

This is a great looking head but in testing against my normal sub zero it was shorter. Whichever way i put the weights, as the single diamond came with a funky weight set up, used same shaft etc, just couldnt keep up with the shop version. Playing Cobra at the moment but have a triple d version on the way for testing.

9 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Here's a comparison to an Epic Flash SZ double diamond. Even though it's 450cc, it has a larger footprint than the Mav SZ TD. You can also see it doesn't have the heel weight like the retail Mav Max 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Malc said:

This is a great looking head but in testing against my normal sub zero it was shorter. Whichever way i put the weights, as the single diamond came with a funky weight set up, used same shaft etc, just couldnt keep up with the shop version. Playing Cobra at the moment but have a triple d version on the way for testing.

29 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Here's a comparison to an Epic Flash SZ double diamond. Even though it's 450cc, it has a larger footprint than the Mav SZ TD. You can also see it doesn't have the heel weight like the retail Mav Max 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So is the Max Diamond any more forgiving than the other diamond models? Is it a 'forgiving diamond' model? I still dont know its purpose. If a pro wanted a 450cc head with neutral flight during the Mav release year there seemed to have been like 4 other models to choose from?

I think only one LPGA player (Thitikul?) played it on tour for a short while but that was it out of any PGA or LPGA player.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

So is the Max Diamond any more forgiving than the other diamond models? Is it a 'forgiving diamond' model? I still dont know its purpose. If a pro wanted a 450cc head with neutral flight during the Mav release year there seemed to have been like 4 other models to choose from?

In my opinion yes because even though it's still 450cc, it's pulled back more than the triple diamond and has a larger, flatter footprint. At address it looks really large. I'd be willing to bet the MOI is higher than the standard triple diamond heads. 

I'd say it's for the players that wanted the forgiveness of the Mav Max but didn't want the draw bias and also wanted the triple diamond look of a flatter face and straighter leading edge. 

Edited by 03trdblack

Add this one to the unicorn find list - the Mavrik Max LS. It's in the OPs listing in the first post but I've never seen a photo of one until now. It looks to be a predecessor to the retail Epic Speed Max LS which came out the subsequent year - same face shape and etc.442204902_ScreenShot2022-06-06at12_45_46PM.png.ea0c903655b013b79db669ba5198203e.png1399111320_ScreenShot2022-06-06at12_45_55PM.png.e7bca56c1b5b72a87b4d2c2d05a776ab.png

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...