Ebay’s New Payment Routine

icecat88

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing, but I just got money dumped to my account from Ebay and the shoes are sitting in my car waiting to be shipped today. I don't pre buy the shipping so I'm 100% getting my money before I'm shipping unless it falls on an odd weekend or holiday. 

How quickly are you shipping after the end of the auction/sale? Just out of curiosity. I think you're right in hinting that it doesn't have to do with shipping at all. Just curious if they sat on your money for 2-3 days.

31 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

How quickly are you shipping after the end of the auction/sale? Just out of curiosity. I think you're right in hinting that it doesn't have to do with shipping at all. Just curious if they sat on your money for 2-3 days.

I usually ship within 2-3 days. Had some shoes sell 11:00 Thursday night. Got the money to m the account yesterday and I’m shipping today. Usually try to ship sooner, but had a scramble yesterday. 

9 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Missed the point.  The point is not hiding anything. 

was simply saying that it’s healthy for a husband and wife to have their own spending  money independent of the others . It’s not hiding. It’s just no permission needed.  And don’t try to tell me you have a wife who won’t complain about your ordering a $3k putter from  the household checking account.  That chick doesn’t exist.😂. But I digress.  ( and no $3k putters aren’t the point. So don’t get sidetracked ) 

the point is , when you swipe a card it enters into a batch for that day.  At the end of the day that terminal reconciles and with the merchant bank and the funds are transferred into the account thats attached to the merchant account.  It’s there the next morning.  Every time.  So eBay  has real funds in hand the next morning at the latest.  

In this instance you have eBay either acting as the  merchant bank  processing the cards or they’re a middle man using an outside merchant bank . instead of transferring it directly to the sellers account.  They’re holding the funds for 2 days .  There’s no reason to do this except to make more $.  It’s not a “ wait for funds to clear “ issue. There is no waiting.  

At any rate , I cannot see why anyone needs to act like Wanting their funds ASAP is some sign of poor $ handling skills.  Maybe I’m not independently wealthy and  cant see this ? Lol.   And no.  It’s not a communication issue. Hell. You can mail the funds and get it there faster than 2 days.  Come on. You know that this isn’t a “ my software won’t talk to yours “ issue.  If that were true they’d make you wait 2 days to take your groceries home from Whole Foods if you used a card.  Why ? Because they’d need to wait to see if the funds appeared.  But they don’t because its that fast.  

I guess your "The wife watches the back pocket. She doesn’t  know about the front pockets accounting because their isn’t anything" fooled me into thinking about someone hiding funds.

I believe most people buying on eBay use Paypal; at least everyone that's bought from me has.

I don't know about the synergy between PP and eBay so I can't answer for how quickly the $$$ gets from one to the other or how they reconcile their daily finances.

But I DO know something about how computers talk to one another. And they mostly all do it differently.

And if someone's whining about not getting a relatively small amount of $$$ quickly enough it is a totally logical assumption that they need it because the need the money - for something; i.e. they don't have other funds available to them. THAT indicates they aren't handling their $$$ very well.

Now that MAY not be the case but it IS a totally logical assumption.

a----> b----> c

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I usually ship within 2-3 days. Had some shoes sell 11:00 Thursday night. Got the money to m the account yesterday and I’m shipping today. Usually try to ship sooner, but had a scramble yesterday. 

Yeah that's pretty crazy to me. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday go by and you get the money Monday? Not loving that.

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Obviously other's mileage may and is varying. But my brief experience has been that it still takes me basically the same exact amount of time to get money from Ebay as it does from when someone pays me in Paypal and I then do a separate WD into my checking account.

With regards to getting the money to a bank account, agree that new method is faster vs paypal transfer (using the free option)

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I guess your "The wife watches the back pocket. She doesn’t  know about the front pockets accounting because their isn’t anything" fooled me into thinking about someone hiding funds.

I believe most people buying on eBay use Paypal; at least everyone that's bought from me has.

I don't know about the synergy between PP and eBay so I can't answer for how quickly the $$$ gets from one to the other or how they reconcile their daily finances.

But I DO know something about how computers talk to one another. And they mostly all do it differently.

And if someone's whining about not getting a relatively small amount of $$$ quickly enough it is a totally logical assumption that they need it because the need the money - for something; i.e. they don't have other funds available to them. THAT indicates they aren't handling their $$$ very well.

Now that MAY not be the case but it IS a totally logical assumption.

a----> b----> c

Lol.  I don’t know man. I think people are just different.  If I provide a service I want my money then. Not later.    Pals being the only exclusion to that.  I give away as much as I get.  

“ principalities involved man !  Playing  with my money is like playing with my emotions”! 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

52 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  I don’t know man. I think people are just different.  If I provide a service I want my money then. Not later.    Pals being the only exclusion to that.  I give away as much as I get.  

“ principalities involved man !  Playing  with my money is like playing with my emotions”! 

No worries. Of course we're all different.

You may recall, in the olden days, when one deposited a check (Check ? What's that ? LOL) one needed to wait between 2 and 5 days for the funds to be available depending on how far away the banks were.

Nowadays it's considerably faster but not instantaneously.

You have a business and a merchant account. I expect those contracts between the banks, the exchange systems and the merchants have all sorts of ifs, buts and thens in them. And due to the agreement no doubt you get your funds asap. I'm confident you signed something that covers "charge backs". :classic_wink:

But private citizens don't have those same agreements and as quickly as things happen now it's still not instantaneous.

Just yesterday I paid my credit card from my checking account. Today, 24 hours later, my checking account shows the payment as "pending". The credit card doesn't show anything.

Why should that be ? No "holds" on any deposited checks to worry about. The accumulated times of the various transactions is from 2-25 seconds or so depending on the network's traffic.

It is what it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dunno1.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

52 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

For millions of people to see my ads and not lowball me like here, I’ll wait a few days for my money. 

MEh.  By the time you pay the fees and factor in the waiting , it’s a wash as far as $.  Never understood the lowball deal  anyway.  All you have to do is say “ no thanks “.  If they come back with more nonsense. Ignore.  

Like I said. Folks are just different which is why both exist.  No worries on my end. 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, cardia10 said:

For millions of people to see my ads and not lowball me like here, I’ll wait a few days for my money. 

Plus 99.9% of people that are shopping for golf stuff in this country aren't doing it on the BST.

Agree that its a wash moneywise however. 

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

21 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Plus 99.9% of people that are shopping for golf stuff in this country aren't doing it on the BST.

Agree that its a wash moneywise however. 

I’ve been getting offers for 50% off here. I price things below the latest eBay sales or less in most cases. You don’t have to offer the “friends” discount there either. That feel left here a few years ago sadly. 

• Thanks 1

As annoying as the new eBay payments thing sounded at first, I've adapted and don't really think about the change anymore.  Now my play money sits in a Capital One checking account instead of PayPal.  In either case, I don't withdraw any money from sales until a few days after the buyer receives the item, no matter where I sell or what payment method used in case of returns.

But I still like using both eBay and BST.  I like selling clubs here on the BST.  I like selling everything else on eBay, and I get way more on eBay than on here for most things.  Plus, I can list a bunch of items on eBay and not worry about them again until they sell whether it's a day or a year.  On here, it's a bit more maintenance.

And eBay has always wanted to be the payment processor, but when eBay and PayPal split, eBay had to keep PayPal as the primary payment processor for a set number of years.  Once that agreement expired, eBay took over.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 2:25 PM, Bigjim1022 said:

I did capital one.  No minimum balance and no fees 

Also did this and have been cruising. I almost like it better than paypal. Separate bank account for golf A okay 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

On some items, ebay is better than BST simply because of exposure.  Ebay's fees are terribly high.  I am selling some items right now.  I know some will sell quickly on here on here and some will sell faster on ebay and I'll just have to absorb the higher fees.  But, the exposure is greater.  i also have non-golf items which I can't sell anywhere but ebay.  I'm a Miami Dolphins fan living in Western PA.  I have a pile of team issued uniforms  (jerseys, pants, socks, etc) I am trying to sell to whittle down my collection.  Needless to say, it is not in high demand here, so ebay is the only venue I have to get big exposure.  Newer drivers and some other clubs sell fast on here  (recently sold a G400 Max with a couple hours of listing it).  I have another G400 Max, an older Cobra driver and some other items that probably won't sell on BST so ebay becomes the most likely to sell that stuff.

I like the current payment receipt method on ebay better than paypal.  It isn't perfect, but better than the old method. It would be awesome if there was a golf-only auction site.

• 1 month later...

Seems eBay is charging fees based on sales price + shipping but also adding in the sales tax the buyer pays. 

Does this seem right?

C2DABAA2-9646-4818-9C8B-C0A2DFC085F9.jpeg

279F937A-009D-4F69-A7ED-71CDD3B27BFE.jpeg

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

10 minutes ago, casey_0507 said:

Seems eBay is charging fees based on sales price + shipping but also adding in the sales tax the buyer pays. 

Does this seem right?

C2DABAA2-9646-4818-9C8B-C0A2DFC085F9.jpeg

279F937A-009D-4F69-A7ED-71CDD3B27BFE.jpeg

It's been that way for several years now

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

8 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

It's been that way for several years now

Guess I never realized.  Seems kind of BS to charge a fee on a tax. But oh well

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

On 12/27/2021 at 10:33 PM, casey_0507 said:

Guess I never realized.  Seems kind of BS to charge a fee on a tax. But oh well

Oh, it’s absolutely criminal. It should literally be a crime. They remit that tax penny for penny to the buyer’s state. I get what they’re doing, they’re essentially collecting a fee for themselves for the service of handling the tax. But I wish eBay didn’t handle the tax and left it to the sellers. My garage sale dealings should not burden a buyer with tax.  For the volume sellers, of course. Maybe come up with an item count or dollar threshold and charge a different fee? C’est la vie...cost of doing business. But I realized same as you what they’re doing. 

• 1 month later...