2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ebay’s New Payment Routine

icecat88

2 hours ago, Mwils29 said:

all good things come to an end. eBay will lose a lot of sellers over this.

Highly unlikely, very little has actually changed and there's still no better way to reach such a large volume of potential buyers.

• Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

19 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Highly unlikely, very little has actually changed and there's still no better way to reach such a large volume of potential buyers.

Not sure how you can say this and keep a straight face. Do you sale on eBay? Is there any other platform where you make a sale and wait to get paid but have to ship it? I don’t know if any. Not to mention having to open a new account to keep money separate. Yes , things did change quite a bit.
Most hobbyist like myself sell stuff just to buy something else and sometimes ASAP. If you know you aren’t getting paid for a few days but want to purchase something else with those funds , you may look elsewhere to get the funds immediately. 
I usually sale only 20+ items maybe a month , but all golf related and I’ve now used multiple other sites and locally instead of eBay.

Yes , I’m only one person , but it changed for me a long time ago and continues to make changes that has phased me away. 

2 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

Not sure how you can say this and keep a straight face. Do you sale on eBay? Is there any other platform where you make a sale and wait to get paid but have to ship it? I don’t know if any. Not to mention having to open a new account to keep money separate. Yes , things did change quite a bit.
Most hobbyist like myself sell stuff just to buy something else and sometimes ASAP. If you know you aren’t getting paid for a few days but want to purchase something else with those funds , you may look elsewhere to get the funds immediately. 
I usually sale only 20+ items maybe a month , but all golf related and I’ve now used multiple other sites and locally instead of eBay.

Yes , I’m only one person , but it changed for me a long time ago and continues to make changes that has phased me away. 

I sell a lot on ebay, but it's not a business for me.  Just golf club hoin'.  You get paid right away, just have to wait a few days to access the funds.  As a hobbyist this doesn't bother me at all.  The $ is there, and I don't NEED that exact $ immediately.  There's no reason I can't buy something right away with paypal as I know I have the funds.  In other words, I don't need those EXACT funds to buy something immediately.  So not a big deal at all.  And with the huge buyer pool ebay will chug along unaffected.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

3 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

I sell a lot on ebay, but it's not a business for me.  Just golf club hoin'.  You get paid right away, just have to wait a few days to access the funds.  As a hobbyist this doesn't bother me at all.  The $ is there, and I don't NEED that exact $ immediately.  There's no reason I can't buy something right away with paypal as I know I have the funds.  In other words, I don't need those EXACT funds to buy something immediately.  So not a big deal at all.  And with the huge buyer pool ebay will chug along unaffected.

A win for eBay. I still paid $20 in fees on a $150 sale. PP at least released my money to me immediately. I have an $11 debt to ebay right now paying for shipping. 🙄😂

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure if anything changed from when this thread began, but I just got informed that I'm no longer allowed to sell unless I update my payment info (aka give them my bank acct info) so that they can take over the payments.

This is really a pisser IMO. I really enjoyed having the Paypal money as others have mentioned. Having it immediately was great. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense shipping an item for which, tangibly speaking, you've received nothing.

Going to try and resist ebay for as long as I can. Lame.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

I'm not sure if anything changed from when this thread began, but I just got informed that I'm no longer allowed to sell unless I update my payment info (aka give them my bank acct info) so that they can take over the payments.

This is really a pisser IMO. I really enjoyed having the Paypal money as others have mentioned. Having it immediately was great. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense shipping an item for which, tangibly speaking, you've received nothing.

It sucks for sure.  Loved having a little side savings account for more golf stuff. 

Only reason why I still use eBay, bigger audience.  

- KC

Driver - Titleist TSi3 (8 degree)

3W - TaylorMade M2 (15 degree)

Hybrids - Adams Pro (18, 20 degree)

Irons - Ping i59 (4-P)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 (52 degree)

Titleist Vokey SM7 (58 degree)

Putter - Odyssey Marxman WH XG (Broomstick) 

1 hour ago, gunmetal said:

Tangibly speaking ? So if Paypal has your money you're OK with that but if eBay has your money it's a problem ? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

2 hours ago, gunmetal said:

It’s not that bad actually.  Made a sale two weekends ago and had the money in my account 2 days after I shipped.  I opened a free online account with capital one to keep it separate.  All in all not terrible. 

59 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Tangibly speaking ? So if Paypal has your money you're OK with that but if eBay has your money it's a problem ? :classic_laugh:

My mistake. I guess you missed the point that I was trying to make. Once I get paid via Paypal I can use the money immediately but more relevant to the word 'tangible', I could actually go and take my debit card to an atm and withdraw my money so I have something 'tangible.' Can't do that with ebay sitting on it. Follow that? 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunmetal said:

My mistake. I guess you missed the point that I was trying to make. Once I get paid via Paypal I can use the money immediately but more relevant to the word 'tangible', I could actually go and take my debit card to an atm and withdraw my money so I have something 'tangible.' Can't do that with ebay sitting on it. Follow that? 😁

Good grief.

You're talking about 1 day. 2 if your bank won't allow immediate withdrawal. eBay credits you the day after they get paid - at least that's what they've been doing when I've sold things.

But in any case, if you need the ca$h from a casual eBay sale that badly maybe you need to rethink how you manage your personal cash-on-hand situation (when you're not selling something) ?  :classic_rolleyes:

Follow that ? :classic_cool:

Ping Glide Pro 48*

3 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Good grief.

You're talking about 1 day. 2 if your bank won't allow immediate withdrawal. eBay credits you the day after they get paid - at least that's what they've been doing when I've sold things.

But in any case, if you need the ca$h from a casual eBay sale that badly maybe you need to rethink how you manage your personal cash-on-hand situation (when you're not selling something) ?  :classic_rolleyes:

Lemme see if I follow that...

So because I wish eBay would go back to the days of allowing PayPal to process payments and therefore make the funds available immediately as opposed to 3 business days per their policy and terms, I need to rethink how I manage my cash? Not a stretch at all considering how much you know me. 👍

• Thanks 1

At first I was annoyed. Esp about having to link an account AGAIN. But did it anyways, made a sale, and life went on. Was a bit annoyed because under this process it relies one 2 entities vice just PayPal. So seliing over the holidays made the deposit take 5 days. So I get the frustration abt not having funds available immediately 

But as other have said, if you must have funds to play with, research and open a points earning credit card and use that. Really no difference. The money is there 

Edited by Russ757

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

6 hours ago, Russ757 said:

At first I was annoyed. Esp about having to link an account AGAIN. But did it anyways, made a sale, and life went on. Was a bit annoyed because under this process it relies one 2 entities vice just PayPal. So seliing over the holidays made the deposit take 5 days. So I get the frustration abt not having funds available immediately 

But as other have said, if you must have funds to play with, research and open a points earning credit card and use that. Really no difference. The money is there 

Agree.  Other option is to sell elsewhere, which will take even longer to sell and thus longer to get the cash, and you'll get less cash vs ebay more often than not.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

18 hours ago, gunmetal said:

Lemme see if I follow that...

So because I wish eBay would go back to the days of allowing PayPal to process payments and therefore make the funds available immediately as opposed to 3 business days per their policy and terms, I need to rethink how I manage my cash? Not a stretch at all considering how much you know me. 👍

You are correct. It is not a stretch at all and I don't need to know anybody to form an opinion vis-a-vis such an "issue".

Anybody who's bothered by an extra day or 2, for a relatively small amount of $$$ from a casual sale probably needs help with their budgeting.

Sorry if that opinion bothers you.

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

22 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

You are correct. It is not a stretch at all and I don't need to know anybody to form an opinion vis-a-vis such an "issue".

Anybody who's bothered by an extra day or 2, for a relatively small amount of $$$ from a casual sale probably needs help with their budgeting.

Sorry if that opinion bothers you.

Not at all. There's a lot more to be bothered over. 

And of course you don't need to know a person or information or facts in order to form an opinion. You're probably just wrong a lot. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gunmetal said:

Not at all. There's a lot more to be bothered over. 

And of course you don't need to know a person or information or facts in order to form an opinion. You're probably just wrong a lot. 

I don't need to know your height, weight, shoe size, car you drive or anything else about you.

You gave enough facts about yourself to form THAT opinion on THAT subject.

Enjoy the last word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_wink:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

29 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I don't need to know your height, weight, shoe size, car you drive or anything else about you.

You gave enough facts about yourself to form THAT opinion on THAT subject.

Enjoy the last word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_wink:

Will do and thanks.

Facts Given: I like having PayPal money AND having access to it immediately.

Opinion Drawn: Dude needs to manage his finances better. 

Summary: Thoughtless Hot Take.

But you do you. 👍🍻

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, nsxguy said:

Good grief.

I don’t think that’s a really fair take.  

plenty of people have front pocket money and then back pocket money.  The wife watches the back pocket. She doesn’t  know about the front pockets accounting because their isn’t anything. .  Same as I don’t know how or care how much cash my wife has squirreled away. But I’d wager it’s 3x what I think.  Several occasions have happened where she’s pulled out a wad to pay when a check won’t do for things pertaining to the house.  Most folks eBay money is part of this front pocket slush fund.  Either that or it’s part of their business.  

Either way waiting 2 days in today’s world is stupid.  Especially if you’ve ran a merchant CC terminal and know that they got theirs as soon as that batch was totaled at the end of business.  ( bank dependent )   They’re essentially pocketing interest off of whatever their funds worth is on a 2 day rolling cycle. Guaranteed income for that delay.  It’s pennies to one person but adds up over the whole total of their business. 

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t think that’s a really fair take.  

plenty of people have front pocket money and then back pocket money.  The wife watches the back pocket. She doesn’t  know about the front pockets accounting because their isn’t anything. .  Same as I don’t know how or care how much cash my wife has squirreled away. But I’d wager it’s 3x what I think.  Several occasions have happened where she’s pulled out a wad to pay when a check won’t do for things pertaining to the house.  Most folks eBay money is part of this front pocket slush fund.  Either that or it’s part of their business.  

Either way waiting 2 days in today’s world is stupid.  Especially if you’ve ran a merchant CC terminal and know that they got theirs as soon as that batch was totaled at the end of business.  ( bank dependent )   They’re essentially pocketing interest off of whatever their funds worth is on a 2 day rolling cycle. Guaranteed income for that delay.  It’s pennies to one person but adds up over the whole total of their business. 

I think it's a fair take for people who aren't trying to hide the money from someone else. :classic_rolleyes:

I'm hoping that's not the majority,,,,,,,,, but who knows ? :classic_laugh:

But if they're using PP to hide money from their significant other they can just as easily open up a separate checking account that their s.o. doesn't know about. They don't need PP.

As for how long these things take, I wouldn't know,,,,,,, for sure. But what I DO know for sure is these computer systems seldom "talk" to each other in the same way. :classic_cool:

I won't bore you with the details,,,,,,,,,,,

Ping Glide Pro 48*

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I think it's a fair take for people who aren't trying to hide the money from someone else. :classic_rolleyes:

I'm hoping that's not the majority,,,,,,,,, but who knows ? :classic_laugh:

But if they're using PP to hide money from their significant other they can just as easily open up a separate checking account that their s.o. doesn't know about. They don't need PP.

As for how long these things take, I wouldn't know,,,,,,, for sure. But what I DO know for sure is these computer systems seldom "talk" to each other in the same way. :classic_cool:

I won't bore you with the details,,,,,,,,,,,

Missed the point.  The point is not hiding anything. 

was simply saying that it’s healthy for a husband and wife to have their own spending  money independent of the others . It’s not hiding. It’s just no permission needed.  And don’t try to tell me you have a wife who won’t complain about your ordering a $3k putter from  the household checking account.  That chick doesn’t exist.😂. But I digress.  ( and no $3k putters aren’t the point. So don’t get sidetracked ) 

the point is , when you swipe a card it enters into a batch for that day.  At the end of the day that terminal reconciles and with the merchant bank and the funds are transferred into the account thats attached to the merchant account.  It’s there the next morning.  Every time.  So eBay  has real funds in hand the next morning at the latest.  

In this instance you have eBay either acting as the  merchant bank  processing the cards or they’re a middle man using an outside merchant bank . instead of transferring it directly to the sellers account.  They’re holding the funds for 2 days .  There’s no reason to do this except to make more $.  It’s not a “ wait for funds to clear “ issue. There is no waiting.  

At any rate , I cannot see why anyone needs to act like Wanting their funds ASAP is some sign of poor $ handling skills.  Maybe I’m not independently wealthy and  cant see this ? Lol.   And no.  It’s not a communication issue. Hell. You can mail the funds and get it there faster than 2 days.  Come on. You know that this isn’t a “ my software won’t talk to yours “ issue.  If that were true they’d make you wait 2 days to take your groceries home from Whole Foods if you used a card.  Why ? Because they’d need to wait to see if the funds appeared.  But they don’t because its that fast.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

25 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

was simply saying that it’s healthy for a husband and wife to have their own spending  money independent of the others . It’s not hiding. It’s just no permission needed.  And don’t try to tell me you have a wife who won’t complain about your ordering a $3k putter from  the household checking account.  That chick doesn’t exist.😂. But I digress.  ( and no $3k putters aren’t the point. So don’t get sidetracked ) 

the point is , when you swipe a card it enters into a batch for that day.  At the end of the day that terminal reconciles and with the merchant bank and the funds are transferred into the account thats attached to the merchant account.  It’s there the next morning.  Every time.  So eBay  has real funds in hand the next morning at the latest.  

In this instance you have eBay either acting as the  merchant bank  processing the cards or they’re a middle man using an outside merchant bank . instead of transferring it directly to the sellers account.  They’re holding the funds for 2 days .  There’s no reason to do this except to make more $.  It’s not a “ wait for funds to clear “ issue. There is no waiting.  

At any rate , I cannot see why anyone needs to act like Wanting their funds ASAP is some sign of poor $ handling skills.  Maybe I’m not independently wealthy and  cant see this ? Lol.   And no.  It’s not a communication issue. Hell. You can mail the funds and get it there faster than 2 days.  Come on. You know that this isn’t a “ my software won’t talk to yours “ issue.  If that were true they’d make you wait 2 days to take your groceries home from Whole Foods if you used a card.  Why ? Because they’d need to wait to see if the funds appeared.  But they don’t because its that fast.  

my wife and I have $750 a month each to use however we want, no questions asked. If she starts seeing how much I'm spending on eBay then I'll need to raise hers to $2000 as well!!!!

Edited by casey_0507
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

I dislike most of ebays policies as much as the rest of you, but I think what they are doing is more of a CYA move than a money grab. Don't get me wrong, they like the extra money as well. From what I have seen is they are holding funds until the item shows as shipped and tracking shows it is in the hands of the carrier. Honestly, that is not a terrible idea on their part. About 10 years ago, I had an issue with a paypal purchase from another forum where I paid but the guy never shipped. After a few weeks I opened a case with paypal and they said the guy up and disappeared with my money, as well as a few other peoples. Paypal still covered me, but I expect this is the kind of issue that ebay is trying to avoid by at least making sure an item is shipped prior to releasing funds.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. I own 11 restaurants. We batch out after lunch and then at closing. So the next morning we're checking bank accounts and making sure everything lines up. 99% of the time it's seamless and seamless. All within 24 hours.

Ebay and Paypal have an interesting history. Early on ebay purchased Paypal after seeing how brilliant it was. More recently they sold off Paypal but still maintained a good relationship. My guess is they just wanted to be a bank like Paypal was being. Sitting on Hundreds of Millions for "2-3 days" can yield some pretty sweet interest I'd imagine. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

Yep. I own 11 restaurants. We batch out after lunch and then at closing. So the next morning we're checking bank accounts and making sure everything lines up. 99% of the time it's seamless and seamless. All within 24 hours.

Ebay and Paypal have an interesting history. Early on ebay purchased Paypal after seeing how brilliant it was. More recently they sold off Paypal but still maintained a good relationship. My guess is they just wanted to be a bank like Paypal was being. Sitting on Hundreds of Millions for "2-3 days" can yield some pretty sweet interest I'd imagine. 

Thank you.    If it didn’t work that way , and it just came in randomly , you’d have to balance transaction by transaction.  Which would take forever and require more dedicated employees to do the extra work.  Batch by batch delivered the next day is the only way it can work.  

eBay is exploiting  a new profit scheme by holding funds in a shell game , with a guaranteed  fund of some type that keeps a set amount invested , borrows to pay folks their money while profits are deposited to cover  the borrowing. Or either they’ve funded it themselves instead of borrowing and it’s probably now self sufficient, and just rolls in points.  

so basically they’ve figured out how to hold your garage sell money for a couple days and play the slots with it in the meantime. But you have to ship the goods now , eating even more cost until they finally pay you for the goods sold.  It’s genius and arseholeish  at the same time  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing, but I just got money dumped to my account from Ebay and the shoes are sitting in my car waiting to be shipped today. I don't pre buy the shipping so I'm 100% getting my money before I'm shipping unless it falls on an odd weekend or holiday. 

That isn’t what the early reports where.  But if they’ve changed , good.  Most likely due to backlash that’s been all over.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just now, bladehunter said:

That isn’t what the early reports where.  But if they’ve changed , good.  Most likely due to backlash that’s been all over.  

Yeah, I've been lucky so far. I don't sell a ton, but did create a free online checking account to flow the money into then out of just to be safe. Like others have said, it is my play money stash for wasting a small fortune on tour cameron's, most of which i'll never use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Yeah, I've been lucky so far. I don't sell a ton, but did create a free online checking account to flow the money into then out of just to be safe. Like others have said, it is my play money stash for wasting a small fortune on tour cameron's, most of which i'll never use.

That’s IT that’s all.  9 out of 10 times were selling one thing to fund another.  

I like to play a game.  Take $500 seed money and try to turn it into a $1500 set of irons or a $3500 Cameron.  You wouldn’t believe how many times I have.   Trade trade trade - then sell , collect profit , trade , then finally enough built up to buy big.  lol.  Sometimes timing is the most important part.  Having funds held up makes a difference 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Obviously other's mileage may and is varying. But my brief experience has been that it still takes me basically the same exact amount of time to get money from Ebay as it does from when someone pays me in Paypal and I then do a separate WD into my checking account.

• Thanks 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

That’s IT that’s all.  9 out of 10 times were selling one thing to fund another.  

I like to play a game.  Take $500 seed money and try to turn it into a $1500 set of irons or a $3500 Cameron.  You wouldn’t believe how many times I have.   Trade trade trade - then sell , collect profit , trade , then finally enough built up to buy big.  lol.  Sometimes timing is the most important part.  Having funds held up makes a difference 

This is me 100%. I have no shame selling Ross golf shoes on Ebay since we can't do it here. I offer them to golfing buddies at cost first and whatever is left goes into the pot of paying for clubs. I never touch my family money for a hobby.

• Like 2