What’s the Worst Feeling in Golf?

Honeybadger

On Sunday, warming up on the range and a sharp pain in the trailing elbow out of nowhere, no miss hit or fat shot just came out of nowhere. 

Was able to swing the woods, probably because they're lighter but couldn't release the irons whatsoever and they hurt. I hate getting older

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:36 AM, Warrior42111 said:

On Sunday, warming up on the range and a sharp pain in the trailing elbow out of nowhere, no miss hit or fat shot just came out of nowhere. 

Was able to swing the woods, probably because they're lighter but couldn't release the irons whatsoever and they hurt. I hate getting older

Last month I somehow tweaked my back bending over to pick up a ball 😂 Could barely swing for about 5 holes until it settled down

• 5 months later...

Completely losing your game on a golf trip. 

This may have already been mentioned but being completely LOST with your game right in the middle of a golf trip that you have been looking forward to for 6 months (ask me how I know) and having it continue for multiple rounds for the entire trip. It honestly has scared me from going on/planning a golf trip again because it was so unpleasant. Shot a perfectly normal, routine 74 in the first round and then got bodysnatched somewhere around the 2nd hole of round 2 on the first day and went 85, 87, 87, 94 for the rest of the rounds. I was actually considering flying home after day 2 (I didn't because I would have looked like a complete psycho) because I wasn't enjoying the trip anymore and figured it would be better to just be home with my kids that flirting with career high rounds every round. My goal was to not ruin anyone else's trip so I didn't get mad or throw clubs (I don't do that anyway) but I did basically stop talking for long stretches kind of put myself on an island of shame for the remainder of the trip. 

Look, I have played poorly before but I could sort myself out after 2-3 holes. No excuses here, I couldn't figure it out. I just felt like all my core fundamentals were out the window and by the 3rd round I was in full blown experimentation mode. It doesn't explain much of the drop off in skill but I will say that riding around in a cart when you are used to walking makes playing bad like 3x worse. You have no time in between shots to reflect and it is just like zoom from bad shot to bad shot to bad shot on repeat. Playing bad sucks. Playing badly in a golf cart is truly a nightmare. Can't even "enjoy the walk." Sorry, rant over. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the worst feelings for me is being really excited about a competition or scoring round, warming up on the range or putting in a few practice sessions, everything feeling good....

And then hitting an awful shot off the first tee, like an OB, or so wayward it leads to 3 off the tee, lost ball, triple bogey etc.

Its almost like the day its metaphorically over already, and 4 hours of aimless walking around awaits.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

9 minutes ago, 7ironDave said:

Looking forward to a round, feeling good about your game and blowing up on the first hole. 

I’m more inclined towards to say it’s playing a great round and then completely blowing up on the last hole.

I look at it like this..say you shoot 72 on the day. What’s going to give you a better feeling at the end of the day, triple bogey on the first and fight back to even or be -3 through 17 and triple on 18 to shoot even?

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Thanks 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

25 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

I’m more inclined towards to say it’s playing a great round and then completely blowing up on the last hole.

I look at it like this..say you shoot 72 on the day. What’s going to give you a better feeling at the end of the day, triple bogey on the first and fight back to even or be -3 through 17 and triple on 18 to shoot even?

Most people who start with a triple aint fighting back to shoot 72.

I suspect their score is going to be closer to 82.

27 minutes ago, BigBlue7 said:

3 putting for Par after reaching a Par 5 in two

Some of these are such first world problems lol

3 putting after reaching that 570 yard par 5 in 2, such a killer.

Really nutting that drive and finding its only gone 298 instead of 308

Finishing with a bogey standing on the final tee at -5, urghhh

Missing that putt for a 59.... couldnt sleep after that

(im joking of course dont get all pissy)

42 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

Most people who start with a triple aint fighting back to shoot 72.

I suspect their score is going to be closer to 82.

But that’s not the point…it’s about which would feel worse. If you have a bad first hole, you have 17 holes to make it up(if you check out after one hole that’s a mental problem). If you have a good first 17 holes and then blow up on the last, there’s no chance to come back from it, the round is done and you’re just  pissed off.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

36 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

But that’s not the point…it’s about which would feel worse. If you have a bad first hole, you have 17 holes to make it up(if you check out after one hole that’s a mental problem). If you have a good first 17 holes and then blow up on the last, there’s no chance to come back from it, the round is done and you’re just  pissed off.

But youve got a 72 which at the beginning of the day youd have almost certainly taken.

You dont have 17 more holes to play having made a horrendous start which you have to turn around whilst probably swinging terribly.

Swings and roundabouts.

2 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

But youve got a 72 which at the beginning of the day youd have almost certainly taken.

You dont have 17 more holes to play having made a horrendous start which you have to turn around whilst probably swinging terribly.

Swings and roundabouts.

You said warming up and practice before the round everything feeling good, then hit one bad opening tee shot and suddenly you’re swinging terribly for the next 17 holes?

Forget the number of 72, it’s just an example. Can be 72, 82, 92 or whatever.  You can shoot any score and it can be something you would have taken before your round or not. If you have one major blow up hole, first or last, which would be most frustrating at the end of round?

Piretti Savona 

2 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

You said warming up and practice before the round everything feeling good, then hit one bad opening tee shot and suddenly you’re swinging terribly for the next 17 holes?

Forget the number of 72, it’s just an example. Can be 72, 82, 92 or whatever.  You can shoot any score and it can be something you would have taken before your round or not. If you have one major blow up hole, first or last, which would be most frustrating at the end of round?

I think it would knock a lot of people back because people would be +3 through 1 and their mental state wouldnt be good. If yours is, great, no problem.

The blow up would be contextual too. If the last hole is very hard then its more understandable that if its easy. If ive been fighting it all day its more understandable than if i played fantastic all day. All just depends.

2 hours ago, 7ironDave said:

Looking forward to a round, feeling good about your game and blowing up on the first hole. 

Jon Rahm did that and still won the masters!

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

26 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

I think it would knock a lot of people back because people would be +3 through 1 and their mental state wouldnt be good. If yours is, great, no problem.

The blow up would be contextual too. If the last hole is very hard then its more understandable that if its easy. If ive been fighting it all day its more understandable than if i played fantastic all day. All just depends.

Playing bad is just playing bad. Bad days happen to everyone and are always extremely frustrating, but it’s a bunch of instances compounding that cause a really bad round, not a specific occurrence.  Other variables constant, I just feel a blow up on the first hole stings much less than the last.  For low handicappers and accomplished players, at least. With you as a .9 I’d bet you are in the extreme minority.

I did just saw @vandyfan post about completing losing your game on a golf trip. And I can attest, that is the most frustrating. 

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Haha 1

Piretti Savona 

@vandyfanmore so when it happens in the first round! Now you have 3-4 more days of paying $200-$400 a round to play like absolute crap. I know from experience..game completely gone..oh great I get to pay $350-$400 for Whispering Pines tomorrow 🤦‍♂️

Piretti Savona 

This past Sunday, a friend and I woke up at 4am to play Bethpage. This wasn't to play the Red course (Black still closed). This wasn't to play 18 holes. 

All this just so we can play the back 9 and get back home to our young families. 

Got to the clubhouse at 5am and they said there's a frost delay and will make the call at 0545. Then they said they'll make a final call around 0615. Around 0630, we are told first tee times will be at 0820. 

Friend and I went to the diner had breakfast. 

The End

• Sad 1

2023 Bag Under Construction

12 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

I know from experience..game completely gone..oh great I get to pay $350-$400 for Whispering Pines tomorrow

Yep, and now I am freaked because I am going to Maui at the end of this month. All I can think about is "what if I haven't fixed anything by then"? I haven't played actual golf since the golf trip which was March 23-25th. And I normally play every weekend. Instead, I have been hitting balls at the range or into a net or some other type of practice 3-4 day a week since then. I took a lesson at the first of April to diagnose what was going on and now just grinding on it. Hitting toe balls and mega thins on repeat at Kapalua sounds....terrible. 

I am repeating myself but it is important, I can handle shooting 82 if I am striking it well and just getting unlucky or putting like crap. Hitting the ball like s#^t, however, over and over is so so so unpleasant. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

4 minutes ago, L3fty said:

Around 0630, we are told first tee times will be at 0820. 

Friend and I went to the diner had breakfast

Ouch.  Goodbye morning round.  And having recently spent some time in the greater NYC area, I know it's not the easiest or cheapest city to get around.  

For me, the worst feeling is when you're very consistently either topping the ball or shanking it.  I now know various Adam Young-inspired drills to change strike location and low point feels, so I at least have some procedure now to try when that happens, but damned if it wasn't infinitely frustrating before learning those.  

Golf just isn't any fun if you can't get the ball into the air.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Yep, and now I am freaked because I am going to Maui at the end of this month. All I can think about is "what if I haven't fixed anything by then"? I haven't played actual golf since the golf trip which was March 23-25th. And I normally play every weekend. Instead, I have been hitting balls at the range or into a net or some other type of practice 3-4 day a week since then. I took a lesson at the first of April to diagnose what was going on and now just grinding on it. Hitting toe balls and mega thins on repeat at Kapalua sounds....terrible. 

I am repeating myself but it is important, I can handle shooting 82 if I am striking it well and just getting unlucky or putting like crap. Hitting the ball like s#^t, however, over and over is so so so unpleasant. 

Oh for sure.  I can still enjoy the trip and enjoy playing great courses if im hitting the ball decent/normal and just not scoring well. But if my swing and overall game in general is just gone and I seemingly can’t hit anything solid in the general I’m aiming…i may need a babysitter after drinking away the sorrows and debating taking a late night swim with the sharks.

• Haha 1

Piretti Savona 

36 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

For me, the worst feeling is when you're very consistently either topping the ball or shanking it.  I now know various Adam Young-inspired drills to change strike location and low point feels, so I at least have some procedure now to try when that happens, but damned if it wasn't infinitely frustrating before learning those.  

Cue the Adam Young music! 

2023 Bag Under Construction

• 11 months later...