How to rotate hips without right knee kicking in early?

wolvverine

Numerous ways to approach.  One is putting a basketball between your legs- it's an an old school approach and works well.  Trail foot and lead foot work in opposite directions, CW and CCW.  

Hips not properly turned going back to begin with will cause problems on the reverse.   Down into the ground from the top is a priority, or restoring knee flex.

This is the Gankas pivot, and I not only have a problem with trail knee kicking in, but I also push off of my trail side...which causes hip slide, and causes me to get steep and dump the club behind me. 

It is literally the only thing I’ve practiced trying to fix for 6 months, and I’ve made little progress. I had it working for three glorious days back in June, lost it, and in trying to get it back have gotten worse. The point of all of this is that it isn’t easy to fix moves that are so ingrained. 

The theory says that a proper turn and weight transfer on the back swing will make it easier to rotate properly on the downswing. I’ve had Gankas’s guys tell me that I’ve got the backswing down...they want me to do freezers and slo-mo downswings to break the downswing pattern. I’ve worked on that specifically for a month, and still no progress. Old habits die HARD I guess. I’m hopeful that I’ve discovered a bit of a solution in mirror work at home, but haven’t been able to hit a ball in over 3 weeks due to poor weather here. 

Good luck on fixing it, and please tell me if you find a secret, but Gankas’s recommendation is to “screw in” the back leg and lead leg in opposite directions. Sounds right, but hard to do in practice if you are conditioned to not do it. Another drill to consider is to put a water bottle behind your trail foot and hit the water bottle as you swing...maybe that will work for you. 

The AMG guys made the best video on this subject.

It can be boiled down to this simple concept.

Pros tend to move their right hip a lot in the backswing and the left hip not so much.

In the downswing, they move their left hip a lot and the right hip not so much.

Ams are often the opposite in both directions and it moves the center of the pelvis excessively as a result.

Then they made a second one that might even be better.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I have absolutely no idea if this will work but I’m going all in on this... I’ve been watching Dr Scott Lynn’s work w the force plate videos. To get more ground torque he likes the player to put force into the left foot towards the ball which opens the hip. I think on the backswing the opposite would be true. Put forward force on the right foot to get the right hip to move backward. There’s two feet of snow on the ground so I only have practice swings to feel this out but I’m sensing an unlocking. I’ve always tried to incorporate the hips but they’ve felt sluggish with a propensity to hump the goat. This activation from the ground feels like the rear will stay back ~ naturally, without trying to jam it back. This would seem to keep the right knee from flying in like the op describes. Of course, it’s golf and I could hit it sideways come spring. 

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

Padraig Harrington:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_nCjjJl6oN8&feature=share

“You need pelvic trust”

Padraig is fast becoming a favorite of mine for instruction insights.   Following tour pro ideas, like Hughes, Elkington, Burke Jr., Miller, Geiberger, Casper, etc.,  makes far more sense to me than listening to insights from lower level players/instructors.   Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

I fall into this fault from time to time.  I try to focus on turning my right hip behind, (right back pocket turns towards target), then I try to feel like my right hip, and right knee stay where they are through transition.  It feels like my left hip is opening up off of my right hip which is stationary.  (Think of this like your hips being a door and the hinges to the door on your downswing are on your right hip.  The door opens off of your right hip)  

Having said that, your hips will go where they need to in order to allow you to reach the ball.  For instance, if you are dumped under plane and too far inside on your downswing, you will have to stand the shaft up and rotate it in order to get the club head on the ball.  The more drastic this move, the more your will need to extend your hips to be able to reach the ball.  That is just one example, but it is probable that your hip motion is a reaction to something else in your swing like your club being out of position.

4 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Padraig Harrington:

“You need pelvic trust”

Turn and tilt, lower the pelvis and push in reaction without trying to turn on purpose....pretty much exactly what what I teach.  Love it.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I'm finally on the road to correcting this issue, after a couple years of working on it.  There is a lot of bad information on this and no clear explanations on how to do it.  I'll try to explain what I've worked on and hope it helps.

From the top of my swing, I used to push hard with my right right side to fire the hips or to turn the hips.  This is wrong.  You don't push off your right.  Instead, you need to simply try to stand on your left heel.  When walking, do you need to actively push hard off each foot to continue moving to the next foot?  Nope.  You simply shift pressure to the other foot.

Simply trying to stand on your left heel helps the weight move laterally onto the left side, while moving it into the heel gets the hips out of the way.  Once the hips are out of the way, the arms have room to freely swing through impact.  

• Like 2

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

5 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Turn and tilt, lower the pelvis and push in reaction without trying to turn on purpose....pretty much exactly what what I teach.  Love it.

I wish I had seen all this 6 months ago. I tore the labrum in my left hip at the range while deliberately trying to turn my left hip in transition.

It might have been a lifetime of wear and tear and about to happen anyway, or it might have been from deliberately wrenching my left hip socket open 50 times in a row, who knows.

• Like 1

A lot of good replies already and from experience (believe me I know first hand) - it has to do with weight pressure not having recentered to the lead foot at the top (by not having enough hip tilt and pushing back on the trail hip -> sway)... only way to ‘try and ‘fire’ / open the hips is thrusting / jumping the trail hip into the ball... having pressure recentered to the lead foot at the top will enable you to pushback on your lead hip (no intention of turning) and the resulting untilting of the hips will follow (and you’ve created space for yourself)

Good way to feel this is the lead foot only swing (or just position your trail foot way behind in a closed setup); put all your pressure on the trail foot at the top from that position and you can see that the only way to get to the ball is by jumping at it / thrusting your trail hip forward... where with your pressure on your lead foot at the top from that position you can easily swing just by pushing back on your lead hip... my 2 cents

11 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Padraig Harrington:

“You need pelvic trust”

legend

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Are not the hips, left and right, rigidly connected?  Can the right one turn 45* but the left hip turn only 25*?  Seems to me, not a human anatomist, not possible; certainly not likely or without long training. 

I could be wrong, i'm only a handicap golfer.

They are... what is meant is relative to the line (pelvis) that connects both hips... on the backswing right hip moves back / left hip doesn’t move; creating that 45* angle with the initial line... downswing; right hip doesn’t move / left hip moves back; creating that 25* angle from that top of the swing line... obviously an oversimplification of an explanation but to try and illustrate

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Are not the hips, left and right, rigidly connected?  Can the right one turn 45* but the left hip turn only 25*?  Seems to me, not a human anatomist, not possible; certainly not likely or without long training. 

I could be wrong, i'm only a handicap golfer.

Technically it’s movement in the hip sockets and femurs and yes, there can be significant independent movement.  The other issue involved is incorrect movement of the center of the pelvis.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

14 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

So in other terms, try to hit the ball with your trail hip?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

15 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

Huh? What doest that mean? Why replace what Monte wrote with something convoluted? 

Just looking for another way to visualize 

A nice way to experience the force required to rotate the pelvis is to go get some oval furniture movers.   Stand in tHem and make a backswing - lead foot will slide back and trail foot forward - this is the reverse in the downswing.   People try to spin their hips versus just push into the ground - force creates motion.  

como & co talk about this at 5 minute mark. Early in they are using a gadget  that makes you do the work against resistance - as noted a planemate for the body.  
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJEmtNegtrP/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

8 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

So in other terms, try to hit the ball with your trail hip?

That’s actually what gets people in trouble.   You don’t want the trail hip to fire.  

• Like 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s actually what gets people in trouble.   You don’t want the trail hip to fire.  

So use ground force to push you through?