2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

3 or 4 wedge setup?

hypergolf

Last year I played a 44 degree PW and carried some combination of 47-50-53-56-60 and had a 64 that I’d throw in there on courses where I didn’t need a 3 wood or 3 hybrid. Which was most days. Sometimes I just bagged them all, went 6i-pw and called it a day. 

This year I’m playing 90% of my rounds on a much longer course, and pared it down to 56 & 60. The pitching wedge will cover 100-155, and every number inside of that I’m hoping I can find without taking a full swing. 

I grew up playing with a kid who would use 9 iron for everything but bunker shots. Whatever it was between him and the hole, if it was 150 or closer he could make it happen. I’m not even sure he had a PW, I only saw him use the 9 or a 56. 

That’s what I’m going for. Know everything you can about a couple clubs, and take away the option paralysis. I love a lob wedge so the 60 is staying, but otherwise it’s gonna be a 47 or a 56. Wish me luck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liveonce said:

Why do some players (like pat perez) choose to carry only 2 wedges? For him, it’s a 52* and 60*. I’ve been debating doing this myself 

The biggest reason players carry only 2 wedges after the PW (3 wedges) is to have more options at the top of their bags (5W, 7W, Hybrid etc.)

Check out the rest of the thread...lots of valuable insights from guys who play 3 and 4 wedge setups, why they do it, and how they manage each setup.

Edited by BallerNate

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

12 hours ago, Liveonce said:

Why do some players (like pat perez) choose to carry only 2 wedges? For him, it’s a 52* and 60*. I’ve been debating doing this myself 

For me, I could see myself becoming more efficient with two wedges as opposed to three. I know I could go right from my 50* gap to whatever SW loft I chose and be efficient with. Probably be the 50* and then a 56* SW.  With those clubs I could do any wedge functions I need. The less clubs to learn sometimes the better for certain golfers.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a set of Srixon ZX5 irons with "modern" lofts, and the PW is 44*. What do you guys do for wedges for the guys that have 44* or 45* PW's?

After going back and forth a number of times on the question of 3 or 4 wedges, I was planning on rolling with the 52*-58* set up this season because I found too much duplication between yardages in the 50-54-58 setup. But definitely concerned about the gap between 44* to 52* being too large.

WITB on WRX

16 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

So I ordered a set of Srixon ZX5 irons with "modern" lofts, and the PW is 44*. What do you guys do for wedges for the guys that have 44* or 45* PW's?

After going back and forth a number of times on the question of 3 or 4 wedges, I was planning on rolling with the 52*-58* set up this season because I found too much duplication between yardages in the 50-54-58 setup. But definitely concerned about the gap between 44* to 52* being too large.

I’d go 1 weak on PW and then 50-54-58 if doing a 4 wedge set. You can do any combination of lofts to fit your gaps but I’d start with 45-50 and the go 54, 55, or 56 and 58, 59, or 60 - whatever hits the numbers. If doing 3 you’re kind of stuck with going 2 weak and 46-52-58.  

• Like 1

Shafted up a Z745/Z945 combo and moved to a Zipcore 46, 52, 58 mid (not using Z945 PW).  Used to go 45, 50, 54, 60, but really liking the new setup so far with very limited use.  Love the zipcore 58, can use it for everything around the green.  Backed up a bit and was just flushing 1/2 to 3/4 swings from about 75.  It really gets through the turf nicely.  Still dialing in all my 1/2, 3/4 and full distances, but I think its a go for me.  Allowed me to add another club to the top which I need as an older/getting shorter hitter on a tough home course.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, karstens_ghost said:

tl;dr - is your 58 bounce appropriate for sand?

You can discuss 54/58 for sand, but I think you're missing the point.

My 54 is very good out of the sand, and it's what I use unless I'm short-sided. If I'm short or a high lip, I pull the 58, but that's about 1-in-5 sand shots.

You can go 52/58, but if you do, ensure that the 58 has adequate bounce. If your 58 (or 60) is too low a bounce, sand will get very difficult.

I do a lot of chipping with my 50 and 54, a lot of sand with my 54, and under-30m with my 58. It's odd; my 58 doesn't get used a lot, but it's really important to have it for me. But mine isn't that thicc, so I don't try to do too many things with it. Keeps me out of trouble, rather than gets me into it.

I'm with you on avoiding the typical lower bounce 58 (or 60) as a go-to bunker club. It's so easy to take a lot of sand with a 10 degree or less bounce LW and unless you have elite clubhead speed, taking a lot sand plus having a lot of loft is a combination bound to result in a ball that flies about 10 feet instead of 10 yards. And if you open the face up to increase the bounce and take less sand then you're trying to get some oomph on the ball with a wedge effectively playing at 65+ degrees.

My life-long favorite pairing has been a 54-degree fairly high bounce *sand* wedge and a 60-degree lob wedge, with the 54-degree getting the lions share of usage, must as you describe your game. Years ago Cleveland made a 60-degree wedge with a very wide, cambered sole (almost like a Callaway Sure-Out but not that extreme). I learned to play golf using one of those with a square face for bunkers. But once I started opening the club up I had to go to the 54.

In my newest "second set" of clubs right now I'm experimenting with a stronger-lofted version of that setup. I have 52 and 58 both with plenty of bounce and then I no longer need a 50-degree GW (which is good because that set of irons has a 46-degree gap wedge, yikes!). I think this 58 has sufficient bounce it might go back to being my preferred bunker club. And the 52 has enough bounce to also be useful from sand, ideal when I get caught out by one of those annoying 30-yard bunker shots once every couple rounds!

I guess that makes me a proponent of a "2 wedge system" but jury's still out as these are new clubs I haven't played many rounds with yet.

• Thanks 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I’d go 1 weak on PW and then 50-54-58 if doing a 4 wedge set. You can do any combination of lofts to fit your gaps but I’d start with 45-50 and the go 54, 55, or 56 and 58, 59, or 60 - whatever hits the numbers. If doing 3 you’re kind of stuck with going 2 weak and 46-52-58.  

Yeah, I thought about bending the PW 1-2* weak. 

Only issue for me is that I haven’t had great results with bending clubs weak/strong...just have found so far that it messes too much with the bounce and turf interaction.

I bent my U85 Driving Iron from 20* to 21*, and bent my 52* GW to 50*. In both cases, wasn’t crazy about the results.

Could be that bending the Driving Iron didn’t work out because the sole is already so chunky though...might be better with bending a PW weak and adding bounce, but not sure.

WITB on WRX

13 hours ago, BallerNate said:

after a range session today I’ll be in the same boat after a reshuffle. Ordered 8-PW ZX5 to join the 7i I bought as a test club. After reading through this whole thread interesting to see the different approaches, no doubt influenced by skill levels, course conditions, and history. When I started playing as a kid (early 70’s), I had a PW that was probably 48 or 50 degrees (didn’t even know then - just said P) and that’s it. No SW. I practiced chipping with that and a 7i a lot and I got very good at partial shots and touch shots like hitting to the fringe to slow the ball, etc.

flash forward to playing again in the late 80’s I actually had a SW (!) but pretty much only used it in the sand. A few years later I remember buying a Cleveland lob wedge and just being befuddled by that club. I’d rather bounce my 48* PW into a hillside and roll to the hole than try and use that damn spatula.🤪

flash forward to a few years ago picking it back up again, I’ve tried a variety of wedges. I have made peace with my Glide 2.0 58TS grind which i like for around the green as I can open it up and get a little elevation. But frankly I’d still prefer to have what is now a GW that I know inside out and use for everything from full swings to green side chips. 

so current plan is to add a CBX2 50* wedge in the same shaft as the 44* ZX5 PW. Then I could go 54 and my current 58 but I’m leaning more towards 56 that more sand-focused (or use my 55 which is rather well behaved) and then maybe carrying the 58 from time to time. Dunno - have to do the experiments. 

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 2

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

5 hours ago, nostatic said:

after a range session today I’ll be in the same boat after a reshuffle. Ordered 8-PW ZX5 to join the 7i I bought as a test club. After reading through this whole thread interesting to see the different approaches, no doubt influenced by skill levels, course conditions, and history. When I started playing as a kid (early 70’s), I had a PW that was probably 48 or 50 degrees (didn’t even know then - just said P) and that’s it. No SW. I practiced chipping with that and a 7i a lot and I got very good at partial shots and touch shots like hitting to the fringe to slow the ball, etc.

flash forward to playing again in the late 80’s I actually had a SW (!) but pretty much only used it in the sand. A few years later I remember buying a Cleveland lob wedge and just being befuddled by that club. I’d rather bounce my 48* PW into a hillside and roll to the hole than try and use that damn spatula.🤪

flash forward to a few years ago picking it back up again, I’ve tried a variety of wedges. I have made peace with my Glide 2.0 58TS grind which i like for around the green as I can open it up and get a little elevation. But frankly I’d still prefer to have what is now a GW that I know inside out and use for everything from full swings to green side chips. 

so current plan is to add a CBX2 50* wedge in the same shaft as the 44* ZX5 PW. Then I could go 54 and my current 58 but I’m leaning more towards 56 that more sand-focused (or use my 55 which is rather well behaved) and then maybe carrying the 58 from time to time. Dunno - have to do the experiments. 

I think it depends on where you play a bit too. My club opens about a month later than the other courses as they want to keep it pristine. The tracks I play before mine I could easily use a 56 as my highest lofted wedge. On mine though the greens are so hard and fast that the lob is absolutely necessary out of the bunker. I personally use my lob 90% of the time out of the sand. Again, I think that’s a confidence thing. Some people just want to get it out of the bunker where as I’m trying to put it within a foot so I can get up and down. A high bounce SW is easier if the bunker isn’t insanely deep but it’s tough if you don’t have a lot of room. 

as far as chipping with the GW, I noticed in the short amount of time I experimented with the 46-52-58 at the beginning of this season that I will reach for the 52 more often to chip with where I would normally use 56 and the results are really good. Lots of check but more consistent - at least on these slightly slower greens. I have a very good short game generally but the reduced options are nice. 

21 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Not that I'm in this situation, but I'd probably just stick with the 44° PW and cut it down to the same length as the GW (maybe match the same total weight, swingweight, and lies).  If the 52° 58° setup is already good for you around the green, and full / partial distances are comfortable, I'd stick with it.  I personally like the short iron to GW loft range for knockdown / cutoff swings.  If I (or you) can dial in a good cutoff swing for a 44° to a comfortable in-between distance, I wouldn't worry about the spec number too much, and still be happy carrying the 52 and 58 greenside.  Good luck and those ZX5s look sweet!

• Thanks 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

21 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

8 hours ago, nostatic said:

so current plan is to add a CBX2 50* wedge in the same shaft as the 44* ZX5 PW. Then I could go 54 and my current 58 but I’m leaning more towards 56 that more sand-focused (or use my 55 which is rather well behaved) and then maybe carrying the 58 from time to time.

33 minutes ago, joostin said:

Not that I'm in this situation, but I'd probably just stick with the 44° PW and cut it down to the same length as the GW (maybe match the same total weight, swingweight, and lies).  If the 52° 58° setup is already good for you around the green, and full / partial distances are comfortable, I'd stick with it.  I personally like the short iron to GW loft range for knockdown / cutoff swings.  If I (or you) can dial in a good cutoff swing for a 44° to a comfortable in-between distance, I wouldn't worry about the spec number too much, and still be happy carrying the 52 and 58 greenside.  Good luck and those ZX5s look sweet!

Thanks very much for your help gentlemen! After thinking about it more, and looking at the experience I’ve had with my wedges so far, I’m leaning towards buying a new 50* GW with a different shaft from my current 54* and 58* wedges (RTX Zipcore w/ DG Spinner).

I’ll get a custom Zipcore 50* w/ a DG S400 shaft, an RTX4 w/ DG S400, or the ZX5 set AW at 50* w/ the matching KBS Tour 120 as my set.

The reason is that I feel like I’ve lost yardage with the DG Spinner shaft, so w/ my current 52* it would be too much of a yardage gap between the 52* and the ZX5 44* PW. The Zipcores w/ DG Spinner shafts have incredible feel and super-high spin, but I feel like I’m hitting it too high and with too much spin for a GW, which is usually a full swing club.

So I’ll leave the PW at 44*, pick up a 50*, and then have a 54* and 58*.

If I ever want to carry a lower number of clubs, I could always leave the 54* at home and go 44-50-58.

Edited by BallerNate

WITB on WRX

I use a PW like an iron. If I could do 48-54-60, then I' do 3

BUT 9i lofts are so strong that PW at 46 is an iron.  In my creative mind, I still have 3 wedges - 50-55-59

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

22 hours ago, BallerNate said:

If you're concerned about losing a club at the longer end of your bag, id tweak the ZX5 lofts so you wind up with a 45* PW, then go 50* GW to a 58* SW.  This presumes you don't mind, or actually prefer, hitting partial shots.  I've done this, it's quite workable for me.

Watson and Nicklaus used a 58* SW on top of their PW, seemed to work ok for them.  Yes, its a pointless observation LOL 

If you have the room in your bag, I'd consider a 49* GW, a 54* or 55* SW, and a 60* LW.  Or maybe 48/53/58, if that's closer to your preferences.

Couple thoughts off top of my head...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

If you're concerned about losing a club at the longer end of your bag, id tweak the ZX5 lofts so you wind up with a 45* PW, then go 50* GW to a 58* SW.  This presumes you don't mind, or actually prefer, hitting partial shots.  I've done this, it's quite workable for me.

Watson and Nicklaus used a 58* SW on top of their PW, seemed to work ok for them.  Yes, its a pointless observation LOL 

If you have the room in your bag, I'd consider a 49* GW, a 54* or 55* SW, and a 60* LW.  Or maybe 48/53/58, if that's closer to your preferences.

Couple thoughts off top of my head...

Yeah, I’m leaning towards picking up a 50* GW and leaving the PW at 44*.

So I’ll go 44-50-54-58, and when I want to carry less clubs I’ll drop the 54* and go 44-50-58 like you suggested.

Would just be too big of a yardage gap between my current 52* GW and the 44* PW.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Thanks very much for your help gentlemen! After thinking about it more, and looking at the experience I’ve had with my wedges so far, I’m leaning towards buying a new 50* GW with a different shaft from my current 54* and 58* wedges (RTX Zipcore w/ DG Spinner).

I’ll get a custom Zipcore 50* w/ a DG S400 shaft, an RTX4 w/ DG S400, or the ZX5 set AW at 50* w/ the matching KBS Tour 120 as my set.

The reason is that I feel like I’ve lost yardage with the DG Spinner shaft, so w/ my current 52* it would be too much of a yardage gap between the 52* and the ZX5 44* PW. The Zipcores w/ DG Spinner shafts have incredible feel and super-high spin, but I feel like I’m hitting it too high and with too much spin for a GW, which is usually a full swing club.

So I’ll leave the PW at 44*, pick up a 50*, and then have a 54* and 58*.

If I ever want to carry a lower number of clubs, I could always leave the 54* at home and go 44-50-58.

fwiw I'm in the camp of putting the same shaft in both irons and wedges, especially if I take a full swing with the wedge.  My 58 has the stock steel as I don't swing that full. Everything else has (or will have) the same or very similar graphite shafts.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

30 minutes ago, nostatic said:

fwiw I'm in the camp of putting the same shaft in both irons and wedges, especially if I take a full swing with the wedge.  My 58 has the stock steel as I don't swing that full. Everything else has (or will have) the same or very similar graphite shafts.

Interesting. I’ve never tried having the same shafts in my irons and wedges, but definitely see the logic.

I think the DG S400 would be a good transition between the KBS Tour 120 in my irons on the way, and the DG Spinner in my 54* and 58*.

But I would definitely consider getting the KBS Tour 120 in the 50* and 54* too though...that concept makes sense.

WITB on WRX

Just went to the golf shop and pulled the trigger on a new custom 50* Mid RTX Zipcore with DG Tour Issue S400 shaft (2* Up & +1.5”).

Should pair well with the KBS Tour 120 in my irons on the way and the DG Spinner in the 54* and 58*...thanks again to everyone for your help!

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

WITB on WRX

For the last few years I have used 45, 50, 55 & 60. 

I play courses that are 6300 to 6500 yds so for me its more important to have more options at the bottom end of the bag than the top. 

I've thought about going 45, 52, 58 but I don't know what club I'd add at the top and think my gaps would be to big at the bottom.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm trying to understand why everyone says 4 wedges "better for gapping." I currently have a 3 wedge setup 46-52-58. Really trying to convince myself that I don't need a 4th. My PW carries 132, Gap carries 120, Lob carries 106. Even if I "improve" my gaps from 100-130, my lob wedge will take almost 100% of the shots from 30-100 yards, so where are the gaps that I'm missing out on by not having a 4th wedge? Serious question, because I've almost pulled the trigger on a 4th wedge several times today, and trying to stay rational.

21 minutes ago, MTgolfer said:

I have done both. I like to do a lot of partial shots with my wedges so fewer wedges gave me fewer yardages on partial shots. 4 works much better for me. If you use only one club from 100 and in, I don’t see how it would help much to have another club.

Do you feel like it's necessary to have 2 different partial wedges hitting the same distances without it being redundant? What would the advantages be other than trajectory differences?

27 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Do you feel like it's necessary to have 2 different partial wedges hitting the same distances without it being redundant? What would the advantages be other than trajectory differences?

Some people feel more confident hitting full shots to cover distances vs. partial shots. I only carry 3 and could use another wedge to fill the 100-90 shots but I just try and avoid that distance. At the course i play it’s really rare for me to have that distance anyways so doesn’t make sense for me to pick up another club just for that. 

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH