2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2021 Callaway Epic Speed Max - Leaked Photo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:02 PM, kopegolfer said:

Any word on availability of slider weights to adjust the weight on Epic Max and LS? Will Flash weights fit?

looks like the epic flash weights will in fact fit in the Max, but due to a different shape they can’t be pushed all the way to one side or another. They work, though. Source: I am using a third party flash weight in my epic max ls  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kopegolfer said:

looks like the epic flash weights will in fact fit in the Max, but due to a different shape they can’t be pushed all the way to one side or another. They work, though. Source: I am using a third party flash weight in my epic max ls  

How's flight with LS....truly fade bias or what? I'm in GBB EPIC that is very good but struggles into the fan

10 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

How's flight with LS....truly fade bias or what? I'm in GBB EPIC that is very good but struggles into the fan

It's definitely easy to fade

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Thanks, any experience with Epic Flash sub zero head and could you compare to LS please? 

Swoosh, until he chimes in, here is my take.  For mere mortals, the EF SZ could be feast or famine.  When I demo’d the EF SZ last year, I hit my best drive of the day with the EF SZ, but the bulk of the rest of the drives were meh.  Those SZ models were really low spin and not all that forgiving IMHO.  You nail it, it goes.  You don’t nail it, you will suffer.  

From my couple of sessions demoing the Max LS, there was none of that feast or famine.  You still need to be fit or demo.  You still need to be mindful of launch and spin with the Max LS.  But if I hit 50 drives with the Max LS on the monitor, I don’t think there were any real duds.  It’s essentially a very forgiving driver, that happens to be low spin.  I can’t say how it will translate out on the course, but there is a lot of potential in this Max LS head for a lot of golfers IMHO.  And I’ll say it again—don’t sleep on the Max head either... 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Swoosh, until he chimes in, here is my take.  For mere mortals, the EF SZ could be feast or famine.  When I demo’d the EF SZ last year, I hit my best drive of the day with the EF SZ, but the bulk of the rest of the drives were meh.  Those SZ models were really low spin and not all that forgiving IMHO.  You nail it, it goes.  You don’t nail it, you will suffer.  

From my couple of sessions demoing the Max LS, there was none of that feast or famine.  You still need to be fit or demo.  You still need to be mindful of launch and spin with the Max LS.  But if I hit 50 drives with the Max LS on the monitor, I don’t think there were any real duds.  It’s essentially a very forgiving driver, that happens to be low spin.  I can’t say how it will translate out on the course, but there is a lot of potential in this Max LS head for a lot of golfers IMHO.  And I’ll say it again—don’t sleep on the Max head either... 😉

Agree with this assessment. Never hit EF SZ but play a Rogue SZ. LS feels a little more consistent and forgiving. How you have the weights set up front vs back (in the old SZ’s) also plays a big role, though.

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

In the eye of the beholder...EF SZ is actually pretty forgiving, not saying a SGI type club, but entire face is pretty hot.  One of my buddies who's a 16 plays one, as I do, and he hits it better than any of his previous SGI/GI drivers...each to their own.

Because something doesn't work for you, doesn't mean won't work for others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

1 hour ago, GSDriver said:

Because something doesn't work for you, doesn't mean won't work for others.

Obviously, but there is relative forgiveness.  Might as well take away all discourse from this forum if a statement that a Callaway SZ driver is not the peak of forgiveness draws this response.  Callaway did not intend for their SZ line to be forgiving per se, and they have now made a concerted effort to make the Max LS more forgiving than their previous SZ models.  Callaway has said as much.  Are Apex Pro irons more forgiving than Mavrik Max irons, no.  Do Apex Pro irons work better for some than the Mavrik Max, of course.  I thought that goes without saying, but no problem making that clear.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Thanks ......my needs are slightly different than most golfers.....normally try to keep angle of attack positive but at times I'll slide and get a bit negative.....story though is I'm a short but consistent driver; basic power fade that on occasion will spin into the wind .....I saw tons of spin with M5 and 2017 GBB EPIC......downwind these 2 heads are monsters!  

The efsz was hard to elevate consistently,  definitely due to low spin.....when caught right as you stated, I just went! 

My hope and thinking is the LS would find that sweetspot between the 2 heads.....all have adjustable perimeter weighting, jailbreak and carbon crown.......the actual shape with efsz looks to be slightly toe bulged while 2017 and LS are pulled towards heel....very minor differences but probably more internal wgt movement in my eye. 

So I'll try efsz this week.....also the lie angle with efsz is flatter than both which encourages more of that fade bias.....

I'm super happy with performance of 17 GBB EPIC sans into the wind which is a large component here in South Florida......almost 100% that LS will go in bag are that goldilocks club.....thank you for the time 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, SwooshLT said:

Thanks ......my needs are slightly different than most golfers.....normally try to keep angle of attack positive but at times I'll slide and get a bit negative.....story though is I'm a short but consistent driver; basic power fade that on occasion will spin into the wind .....I saw tons of spin with M5 and 2017 GBB EPIC......downwind these 2 heads are monsters!  

The efsz was hard to elevate consistently,  definitely due to low spin.....when caught right as you stated, I just went! 

My hope and thinking is the LS would find that sweetspot between the 2 heads.....all have adjustable perimeter weighting, jailbreak and carbon crown.......the actual shape with efsz looks to be slightly toe bulged while 2017 and LS are pulled towards heel....very minor differences but probably more internal wgt movement in my eye. 

So I'll try efsz this week.....also the lie angle with efsz is flatter than both which encourages more of that fade bias.....

I'm super happy with performance of 17 GBB EPIC sans into the wind which is a large component here in South Florida......almost 100% that LS will go in bag are that goldilocks club.....thank you for the time 

Coupla things. Last thing first. I've read here on WRX by people who seem to know quite a bit about these things that lie angle on the driver isn't that big of a deal - certainly not like the lie angles on your irons.

Now if the lie angle of a driver doesn't suit your eye there's a good chance you won't swing it well either if you are very particular with the look.

Next. I'm not sure all that's involved in elevating the ball off the driver. AFAIK, loft+AoA+dynamic loft added/subtracted = launch. Tee it high to elevate, tee it lower to lower launch. But all drivers should "elevate" the same.

Now, staying in the air ??? That I believe would involve your spin rate.

Lastly, forgiveness. I posted the pic below once before but I believe it's been lost in the board transitions.

We have a short par 5 on the course we used to play with a large pond in front of the tee. The drive towards the green is a 235 carry.

If you want to play safely you aim left and 170+ will be a safe play; but then you can't get home in 2. We played scrambles and if someone got a ball in play I'd take a whack at it unless the wind was hurting. Lotsa splashes. TEAR HAIR.gif

I'm not a big hitter. Sans wind my "Sunday punch" carries right around 230. Downwind with a good breeze at the back I might carry it 240+.

One day the hole was playing down wind with a fairly strong breeze so I took a whack. As often happens when one presses I hit the ball poorly, right off the toe. High and right. Had to be wet.

The ball carried the water. shocked.gif

This is my Epic Flash Sub Zero (with Hzrdus Yellow if it matters)

Now YMMV of course and I surely got lucky but,,,,,,,,,,, shrug.gif

366283094_EFSZtoehit.png.0f3e71ad92fd82cadf43a803b8ff8401.png

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

5 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Coupla things. Last thing first. I've read here on WRX by people who seem to know quite a bit about these things that lie angle on the driver isn't that big of a deal - certainly not like the lie angles on your irons.

Now if the lie angle of a driver doesn't suit your eye there's a good chance you won't swing it well either if you are very particular with the look.

Next. I'm not sure all that's involved in elevating the ball off the driver. AFAIK, loft+AoA+dynamic loft added/subtracted = launch. Tee it high to elevate, tee it lower to lower launch. But all drivers should "elevate" the same.

Now, staying in the air ??? That I believe would involve your spin rate.

Lastly, forgiveness. I posted the pic below once before but I believe it's been lost in the board transitions.

We have a short par 5 on the course we used to play with a large pond in front of the tee. The drive towards the green is a 235 carry.

If you want to play safely you aim left and 170+ will be a safe play; but then you can't get home in 2. We played scrambles and if someone got a ball in play I'd take a whack at it unless the wind was hurting. Lotsa splashes. TEAR HAIR.gif

I'm not a big hitter. Sans wind my "Sunday punch" carries right around 230. Downwind with a good breeze at the back I might carry it 240+.

One day the hole was playing down wind with a fairly strong breeze so I took a whack. As often happens when one presses I hit the ball poorly, right off the toe. High and right. Had to be wet.

The ball carried the water. shocked.gif

Now YMMV of course and I surely got lucky but,,,,,,,,,,, shrug.gif

366283094_EFSZtoehit.png.0f3e71ad92fd82cadf43a803b8ff8401.png

Which driver head is this? 

32 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Which driver head is this? 

Oops.

Epic Flash Sub Zero.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

Oops.

Epic Flash Sub Zero.

Still using? Yeah, but when I tee it higher with efsz the shaft I was using didn't always stay with me......I have better shafts now but I've moved on from that head as it sounds worse than 17 gbb epic and 21 epic max LS.....efsz was very , very long.....with correct shaft it could have stayed in the bag.....after hitting thuddish epic 17 and tink sound of 21 LS , I won't go back

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Still using? Yeah, but when I tee it higher with efsz the shaft I was using didn't always stay with me......I have better shafts now but I've moved on from that head as it sounds worse than 17 gbb epic and 21 epic max LS.....efsz was very , very long.....with correct shaft it could have stayed in the bag.....after hitting thuddish epic 17 and tink sound of 21 LS , I won't go back

Yes, just starting year 3 with my EFSZ. Only thing I've done since is get an EFSZ Triple Diamond head. I am currently involved in testing both heads with 3 different shafts before deciding on which combo to keep and then sell off the rest.

Before the EFSZ I tried the (original) Epic SZ. Hit it terribly BUT, to be fair, I took a flyer on it buying it off eBay, and the shaft was too short and too stout. A totally ill fit. Sold it shortly thereafter and never followed up again with the original,,,,,,,,,,,,, bang head.gif

• Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

17 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Yes, just starting year 3 with my EFSZ. Only thing I've done since is get an EFSZ Triple Diamond head. I am currently involved in testing both heads with 3 different shafts before deciding on which combo to keep and then sell off the rest.

Before the EFSZ I tried the (original) Epic SZ. Hit it terribly BUT, to be fair, I took a flyer on it buying it off eBay, and the shaft was too short and too stout. A totally ill fit. Sold it shortly thereafter and never followed up again with the original,,,,,,,,,,,,, bang head.gif

Can you provide pics of TD vs standard.....just curious to see shape differences......is the TD higher spinning? Sound any different? 

Edited by SwooshLT

4 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Can you provide pics of TD vs standard.....just curious to see shape differences......is the TD higher spinning? Sound any different? 

I'll see if I can take some but there are threads about the TD on WRX. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already taken those pics.

TD is more muted. EFSZ is louder, more "tin-ier". Not L4V or Sumo like but,,,,,,

TD is "rounder" and looks smaller from the top and appears a bit deeper faced. EFSZ looks flatter from above.

Reports say TD is a little bit spinier and a bit fade biased but between the cogs and the sliding weight, unless you really want to draw it quite a bit the fade bias can be neutralized and you can even draw it.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

40 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I'll see if I can take some but there are threads about the TD on WRX. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already taken those pics.

TD is more muted. EFSZ is louder, more "tin-ier". Not L4V or Sumo like but,,,,,,

TD is "rounder" and looks smaller from the top and appears a bit deeper faced. EFSZ looks flatter from above.

Reports say TD is a little bit spinier and a bit fade biased but between the cogs and the sliding weight, unless you really want to draw it quite a bit the fade bias can be neutralized and you can even draw it.

All good info but still getting LS which basically retail TD ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

All good info but still getting LS which basically retail TD ...

No worries, just offering up some information.

You should get whatever works best for you. 👍

Ping Glide Pro 48*

9 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

No worries, just offering up some information.

You should get whatever works best for you. 👍

Appreciate it.....realizing at my age I won't get any longer but can strive for consistency.....17 epic flash with ust attas gogo 5r is very consistent.....major flaw is the into the wind shot.....

I'm finding the LS, in my limited time, to be a hybrid of sorts between efsz and 17 gbb epic.....I've used Taylormade for past 15-20yrs sprinkled in a few others , so really feel like I'm playing catch up with Callaway 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, SwooshLT said:

Looks like Speed LS TD is the preferred model; Xander, Strick and Rahm are playing that head I believe 

Are we sure about this? Everything on the WITB says Rahm and Xander are playing the Speed TD not the Speed LS TD

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

1 hour ago, youngun87 said:

Are we sure about this? Everything on the WITB says Rahm and Xander are playing the Speed TD not the Speed LS TD

I don't have hard and fast information,  just that there is a V2 Speed and LS Speed which both look the same from the bottom. .....so we aren't sure but that's why I said I believe...... I would love for Callaway to release details on the differences in the 4 Speed heads ; retail , V2, LS and DS..... 

2 hours ago, youngun87 said:

Time:  0:25 sec....Wunder says, "so you are in the EPIC Speed Triple Diamond LS....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 hours ago, youngun87 said:

I know Rahm is in the LS model based on pics I have seen here somewhere.  I thought Xander was in the regular TD though.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

Time:  0:25 sec....Wunder says, "so you are in the EPIC Speed Triple Diamond LS....

Cool. Thanks!

• Like 2

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

7 minutes ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

Go to my Reddit thread, all Triple D info in there

What’s the title of the thread?

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:07 AM, radiman said:

I know Rahm is in the LS model based on pics I have seen here somewhere.  I thought Xander was in the regular TD though.  

According to the Callaway rep who was fitting me in a TD last weekend Xander is in the Speed TD (not sure about V2?) and Rahm is in the Speed LS TD. I ended up with the Speed LS TD

#1: Titleist TSR3 8* - HZRDUS Hulk 75g 6.5

#3: Ping G400 Stretch 13* - HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

H: Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Black 10X

I: National Custom Works CB/MB DW - MMT 125 TX

W: Titleist SM8 Raw 56.14F & 60.14K - TT X100 TI Black Onyx

P: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Centershafted P r O t O t Y p E