2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best Utility iron of 2021

krod10359

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Just looked at prices for 699.  144 with steel fiber and mcc plus 4.  Kinda hard to pass up.  Hmm

What shafts are people getting in the 699?

I’ve got a pro force v2 in mine to match my hybrid... 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Can I just state for the record that threads like this SUCK for me. I get all excited reading about these sweet clubs and half (if even that many) are available in lefty.

I know, small market. I never would have golfed left if I had known ahead of time it was tough to find hardware.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Can I just state for the record that threads like this SUCK for me. I get all excited reading about these sweet clubs and half (if even that many) are available in lefty.

I know, small market. I never would have golfed left if I had known ahead of time it was tough to find hardware.

Srixon is showing the lefties love this year!

2 hours ago, littletimbo182 said:

Srixon is showing the lefties love this year!

I see that and is is actually one of the more exciting options. But New Level, PXG, Sub 70, I would love to try out. Maybe later they will.

Also the used market almost doesn't exist and it can get expensive.  🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

The New Level NLU-01 is amazing for me.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I recently got a DHY with a 95x di utility shaft. its a great club but flys really high off the tee and a little thick when its on the turf.  I think im going to try the Srixon and Callaway. 

Callaway Paradym 💠💠💠 10* LinQ purple 6x

TaylorMade Brnr (mini driver) 14* Tour AD di 7x

Srixon ZX 2i KBS proto hyb8x

TM Stealth 2 7w HZRDUS yellow 70s

Callaway x hot 2 5hyb tour ad di 85x

Callaway apex pro23 6i 7i KBS $taper 120s

Callaway apex cb23 8i-11i KBS $ taper 120s

Taylormade mg4 54*  LAGolf 120s

Taylormade mg4 60* LAGolf 120s

TM Spider X hydro flow neck Kbs CT tour120

I'm gaming the new '21 Callaway X Forged UT.  The feel is greatly improved and now feels like a players iron should.  Has a very nice "crack" at contact and no more of the clicky feel of a hollow body!

I just posted a review on my YouTube channel, check it out!

• Like 1

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

Could anyone compare the soles of the TM DHY and Srixon ZX? I think it is down to those two for me, I have hit them both but at separate times and separate stores with the DHY being like 3 months ago

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:04 AM, lefthack said:

Fellow lefty here,

Don't write off the Cobra King Utility... I swapped my G410 Crossover for the Cobra last summer, the Ping is a super low launch, low spin monster but was unforgiving to my common miss, anything even remotely resembling a heavy shot was not good. Not a fat shot, just a whisker heavy...

I tested the Cobra and it went straight into the bag, 10ish yards shorter than the Ping but miles easier to launch high and spin it for approach shots, easy to flight. This wasn't apples to Apples, the Ping is graphite shafted and I matched my Cobra to the (steel) shafts in my irons...

I have it in 19.5 and get ~235 out of it give or take based on roll and course firmness.

• Like 1

Nice! I have been looking for an 18ish, I will check out the Cobra. I will be hitting my 3 Saturday finally, I am interested to see what my yardage is.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Yep, more options every year.  Except I am like many better golfers that hate change just because.  There has to be a reason to change other than excitement of a new club. 😛  And to that point, my hobby is playing good golf not buying n selling equipment.  

I still play 718 T-MB 17* 2i, only now with 92g Tensei AV White AM(2) "S".  Ball go far too. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

9 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Could anyone compare the soles of the TM DHY and Srixon ZX? I think it is down to those two for me, I have hit them both but at separate times and separate stores with the DHY being like 3 months ago

The sole of the DHY seems a little thicker to my eye.  At address the Srixon does a better job of hiding it's width as well so it appears much narrower.  The Srixon for years has been the #1 Driving Iron on tour because I think it does a good job blending forgiveness with looks/playability. It's also no slouch in performance.

For me, I preferred the feel of the DHY, and it's ball speeds were MONSTEROUS all other things being equal. Validated on my GCQuad...the DHY is just so good.  Can hit it high (has more mass low)and still can hit low, but above all, was giving me 4MPH more ball speeds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Yep, more options every year.  Except I am like many better golfers that hate change just because.  There has to be a reason to change other than excitement of a new club. 😛  And to that point, my hobby is playing good golf not buying n selling equipment.  

I still play 718 T-MB 17* 2i, only now with 92g Tensei AV White AM(2) "S".  Ball go far too. 

You might end up getting kicked from WRX for this statement. I agree with you thou, I do also believe that a certain continuity in your clubs is doing more good than the latest tech, as you can see in my sig

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Agree with OP that there are many solid offerings this year. I've been in the market to replace my old trusty Bridgestone J36 3 iron for a while now (oldest club in my bag by a mile), but found small things I didn't like about each of the major modern driving irons out there (see below for my nitpicky takeaways). However, after testing the new Callaway X-Forged UT, which is effectively the 2018 UT with less offset (2.2mm) and a softer / more iron-like feel, I knew I had found the one. I guess what I had been looking for all this time was the elusive combo of true forged iron feel with modern tech disguised in a traditional compact shape - Callaway has done this beautifully. Ordered 21* bent 1 strong to 20* with Ventus Black HB 9TX. Cannot wait for it to arrive and will post a separate review in the next few weeks.

Quick takeaways on other utility irons recently tested with regard to looks / feel. Performance is quite similar across the board and I think any of them could have met my needs with the right fitting:

- Mizuno HMB: Serious contender given it would blend well with my Mizuno MP-18 SC irons, but wanted something with less offset (3.7mm) and felt a tad clicky

- Titleist u500: Super clean profile at address (2.2mm offset same as UT) and thin top-line, but really hard clicky / techy feel like a hybrid metal

- SIM UDI: Solid feel, moderate offset (3.2mm), looked like longer blade length (not sure if real or perception)

- Cobra Utility: Solid / soft feel, chunky look, moderate offset (3.1mm), don't like seeing "King" written on the back cavity at address

- Srixon ZX: Did not get to try, very curious about this one, looks clean based on photos, 3.6mm offset is slightly more than UT and u500

On 1/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, stevechooster said:

I have a Titleist 510U 2* paired with a Ventus 8S HB shaft and love it. I feel like anytime a UDI design has a thicker sole and deeper face, you really can't go wrong. Just depends on how you're intending on playing with your UI and the right shaft to complement it. 

Did you reshaft it? I had the smoke shaft and am reshafting with a ventus 10x and the head is really light. Just curious...

• Like 1

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

19 minutes ago, cavemeister said:

Did you reshaft it? I had the smoke shaft and am reshafting with a ventus 10x and the head is really light. Just curious...

Yes, I got it reshafted with the Ventus 8S HB. The shaft feels so much more alive now. That smoke shaft was too much for me. I couldn't hit with it.

Yes, utility club heads are "lighter" since it's between an iron head and a hybrid in some way (although someone could argue that). It's going to be a thicker sole and deeper head... like a skinny hybrid or fat iron whichever way you view it lol. Were you expecting it to be heavy...? 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

13 hours ago, stevechooster said:

Yes, I got it reshafted with the Ventus 8S HB. The shaft feels so much more alive now. That smoke shaft was too much for me. I couldn't hit with it.

Yes, utility club heads are "lighter" since it's between an iron head and a hybrid in some way (although someone could argue that). It's going to be a thicker sole and deeper head... like a skinny hybrid or fat iron whichever way you view it lol. Were you expecting it to be heavy...? 

I weighed the previous driving iron head with the ventus 10x (and the head nlu-01 was 20 grams more--so it screwed up everything...).

Cobra 4 iron 

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

3 minutes ago, cavemeister said:

I weighed the previous driving iron head with the ventus 10x (and the head nlu-01 was 20 grams more--so it screwed up everything...).

20g? Wow... yeah that's a lot haha. did you end up installing in some weight to try to get your club back to the swing you had? 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

Just now, stevechooster said:

20g? Wow... yeah that's a lot haha. did you end up installing in some weight to try to get your club back to the swing you had? 

I stuck lead tape on--if that works eventually I'll hotmelt...

• Like 1

Cobra 4 iron 

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

When I posted this, I started testing everything out there. So many good driving/utility irons. I went with the new Callaway x forged UT. It had everything I liked seeing in a driving iron, relatively thin top line, the hollow body felt good, soft feel, don’t see too much extra clunk of metal when the club is down on the ball. I think Callaway has a winner here. Try it out guys, I think you all will enjoy. I came from hitting a Mizuno HMB.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:56 AM, krod10359 said:

When I posted this, I started testing everything out there. So many good driving/utility irons. I went with the new Callaway x forged UT. It had everything I liked seeing in a driving iron, relatively thin top line, the hollow body felt good, soft feel, don’t see too much extra clunk of metal when the club is down on the ball. I think Callaway has a winner here. Try it out guys, I think you all will enjoy. I came from hitting a Mizuno HMB.

Great choice! I got my Callaway X Forged UT in the mail last week and it has quickly become my favorite club. Still feels like I’m hitting a forged iron but flies like a high tech missile o_o

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just hit the Ping G425 Crossover, the Sim UDI, the Srixon ZX, Titleist U500, PXG something, and Callaway Xforged Ut. 

My ranking:

1. Titleist 

2. Ping

3. TM Sim

4. PXG

4. Srixon

5. Callaway

Titleist was easily the longest high is interesting because their shafts are half inch shorter than most of competitors. It was night and day the difference that made. Felt much easier to hit flush. I hit the Ping 2i about 240-245 carry and only able to try the Titleist 3i and was carrying it just as far with obviously higher launch. Ordered the 2i and can’t wait to try it. 

Currently own the Ping G410 Crossover and I’d probably rank it around 3rd or so in the list above. 

Last year I tried the Titleist, Taylormade, Callaway, and HMB but I gotta say - I think the New Level NLU-01 is the best of the bunch. Pair that with the ability to add a Ventus hybrid shaft and you have an awesome cannon of a driving iron for around $225. Best value best performer out there IMO. 

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

3 hours ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Last year I tried the Titleist, Taylormade, Callaway, and HMB but I gotta say - I think the New Level NLU-01 is the best of the bunch. Pair that with the ability to add a Ventus hybrid shaft and you have an awesome cannon of a driving iron for around $225. Best value best performer out there IMO. 

Interesting the ventus in a UI. Wonder how it would fair vs a kbs proto hybrid shaft

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Interesting the ventus in a UI. Wonder how it would fair vs a kbs proto hybrid shaft

TXG did a video on it in a UI. Highly recommend watching that if you’re in the market!

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

2 minutes ago, bryanwmilburn said:

TXG did a video on it in a UI. Highly recommend watching that if you’re in the market!

Thanks, on the fence if i want to try ventus or KBS proto since i have kbs steel in my irons

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV