2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maxfli Tour balls

SkrappyHacker1

Spent some time hitting full shots today at home; with mostly 7i and 4i. Didn't do anything on the LM. As I'm just trying to sample the "feel" without any other influences. 

Short version, feel wise, the Tour and X are pretty much identical. Any feel difference (for me) is imperceptible with irons. The S, however, is noticeably softer. Not by a large margin. But I'd described it as a more "compressing" feel compared to the Tour and X. Which I actually quite like. 

Might do another day or two of full shots with no LM. Then fire it up and collect some actual data points. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:20 PM, SE Gamer said:

Had the same thing happen to me. Wife was picking up the order for me at the store. Asked her to see if they'd take the coupon there; and they did. No issues or anything. Now, this could very well be a store-by-store thing. But at least for my sample of one, it seemed like a normal thing they do.

They wouldn’t do it for me unfortunately. I’m sure these balls are great but I haven’t even tried them yet so I just grabbed the 2 for $70 deal. If I love them, I’ll go back for 4 more dz. Hoping to get a round in the next week or so. Feel no different than my ProV1X’s on the carpet. I’m just really hoping for the spin into and around the green. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, Big_BenB said:

They wouldn’t do it for me unfortunately. I’m sure these balls are great but I haven’t even tried them yet so I just grabbed the 2 for $70 deal. If I love them, I’ll go back for 4 more dz. Hoping to get a round in the next week or so. Feel no different than my ProV1X’s on the carpet. I’m just really hoping for the spin into and around the green. 

Dang. Which model did you pick up? I played the Tour X all of last season and loved it. Very much like the Pro V1 X that I'd previously played. 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:37 AM, st1800e said:

Just had to post this to get past post 666, 😉

No GG in Canada , only on golfworks.ca, and that’s a SS….

How about Amazon?  No Dick's Sporting Goods in Canada?

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

17 minutes ago, pjc said:

How about Amazon?  No Dick's Sporting Goods in Canada?

No, DSG and GG are US only and won't ship here, either. 

Amazon.com charges $57.50 Cdn plus $27 shipping plus import fees for two dozen. 

Amazon.ca doesn't have the Maxfli Tour (any type) golf balls

• Confused 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Damn, that sucks!

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

On the other thread I mentioned that I have issues with the Maxfli Tour (2022) not giving me enough spin with my irons relative to a ProV1x.  someone astutely pointed out that it's not quite an apples to apples comparison since the tour's representative would be a ProV1.  Well I found a fairly mint ProV1 in the woods the other day and decided to do a little head to head comparison.

I have an indoor setup in the garage with skytrak as my launch monitor.  I am ~15 handicap, average 140s-low 150s ball speed with driver.  This test was with my PW (Mizuno 223, 46*).  I hit 8 full shots with each ball.  I did 5 with ProV1, 5 maxfli and then 3 prov1, 3 maxfli.  I would have excluded any gross mis-hits(tops, hosels, etc) - thankfully did not need to exclude anything.  Here are my results

1895522479_ScreenShot2023-03-30at2_44_04PM.png.2c904afb6877188a7adde80bb3bbf724.png

Of note, the best feeling swing for me was with the Maxfli Tour (got 100 mph ball speed).  Not sure how much I will notice the lower spin at my skill level when it comes to holding greens.  

I do know that I can't seem to lose these Maxflis on the course.  They just seem to magically stay in play for me the last several rounds.  I have lost 2 ProV1x's in back to back rounds.  With a fresh 48 pack of Maxfli Tours, it might actually be awhile before I need to order more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely love this ball after 2 rounds. By far the most spin in a non-premium ball I’ve ever played. I’m just praying they don’t do something stupid like discontinue it, raise the prices, or quit giving out deals. After the 2 dz I bought I’m definitely going back for 4 more. Going to make 2 dz or so my short game practice balls and play the rest. I’ve got zero empirical data and I’m no scratch golfer but they’re every bit as good as a ProV for me.

• Like 1

The 4 dozen for $119 price is back and on the 2023 versions. At least it is in Austin, TX.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

On 3/30/2023 at 2:48 PM, tte720 said:

On the other thread I mentioned that I have issues with the Maxfli Tour (2022) not giving me enough spin with my irons relative to a ProV1x.  someone astutely pointed out that it's not quite an apples to apples comparison since the tour's representative would be a ProV1.  Well I found a fairly mint ProV1 in the woods the other day and decided to do a little head to head comparison.

I have an indoor setup in the garage with skytrak as my launch monitor.  I am ~15 handicap, average 140s-low 150s ball speed with driver.  This test was with my PW (Mizuno 223, 46*).  I hit 8 full shots with each ball.  I did 5 with ProV1, 5 maxfli and then 3 prov1, 3 maxfli.  I would have excluded any gross mis-hits(tops, hosels, etc) - thankfully did not need to exclude anything.  Here are my results

1895522479_ScreenShot2023-03-30at2_44_04PM.png.2c904afb6877188a7adde80bb3bbf724.png

Of note, the best feeling swing for me was with the Maxfli Tour (got 100 mph ball speed).  Not sure how much I will notice the lower spin at my skill level when it comes to holding greens.  

I do know that I can't seem to lose these Maxflis on the course.  They just seem to magically stay in play for me the last several rounds.  I have lost 2 ProV1x's in back to back rounds.  With a fresh 48 pack of Maxfli Tours, it might actually be awhile before I need to order more. 

I've done an extensive test of a maxfli tour (previous version), Vice Pro and ProV1. I used a nearby indoor facility that had GCQuad. I did not see nearly as much difference in spin as you did, but I did see the launch was similar. The Maxfli typically launches slightly higher.

50 Yard Shot with 56* - Pretty similar averages between the three balls, but I will note on the 50 yard shot, the Maxfli's standard deviation was very wide. Now that could be user error (me), but I recall a consistency issue with the maxfli during testing. 

image.png.c37b24c5a24133e190ea77ff2efb1f56.png

Full PW Shot - I typically play a draw (left handed) starting to the left and bringing the ball back to the right. With the data below, you can see I blocked/push faded the shots with the Vice, whereas I drew the other two. That's why the spin numbers are slightly larger with the PW.

image.png.188a1497d77d701db97ef3ff586b132b.png

7i - as with most balls with similar characteristics, the launch/spin characteristics between these three balls are minimal

image.png.e2c01043f7bb8f3ac6fca04d42b6d415.png

Driver - The big takeaway here is the ballspeed loss between the cheaper balls (Maxfli and Vice) when compared to the ProV1. They all have similar compressions, so there's likely something within the Prov1 core that retains speed. It should also be noted that I swing the club fairly quickly, 118-120 on GC Quad and ~115-117 on Trackman. So there may be a degree of over compression that may not happen for those with speeds slower than me.   

image.png.c4ceaa05c6549a6703d48800f284bb9e.png

All in all the Maxfli ball is a great ball, and performs pretty admirably against the ProV1. I have experienced issues on the consistency with the shorter wedge shots and around the green. Off the driver, it's also not quite as fast as the the ProV1, but with that being said, I enjoy the Maxfli ball and for the price, it's a great alternative to the other tour balls (as is the Vice Pro).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Liquid_A_45 said:

Going to pick some of these up next week but not sure if I should get the Tour or Tour X. 

Do you like harder or softer balls? The Tour is softer feeling than the X.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

11 hours ago, Liquid_A_45 said:

Going to pick some of these up next week but not sure if I should get the Tour or Tour X.  Driver swing speed is around the 105mph range.   I am thinking the Tour X would be the ball for me based on what I have read, any help from those of you who are gaming them?

I played the X all year last season. Zero complaints. Fort he heck of it, I bought 2 dozen each of the '23 Tour and S when they were on sale. Feel wise, the only one I can perceive a difference with is the S model. And it's negligible. 

If you're being led to the X based on numbers, that's the route I'd go. 

• Like 1

Played Tour X as well last season. Cashed in on the deal where you could get a cube for ~80 plus tax. Played my lowest round (personal best) with the Tour X and really liked it. I actually thought I ran out or gave some away but found another dozen in my car today. Here is to hoping another good round is on the way.

New product looks nice. I like that alignment aid. I think the Tour S will be popular. The snowbirds like their soft balls.

5 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Golfworks has the 2021-2022 Maxfli Tour on sale for $24.99/doz.

Including my favorite yellow 😀

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I haven't played in warm weather yet with the newer Z Star or the 21 version.  But, I have played with the 21 MT in 50 degrees and generally like the feel a little better to tell the truth.  More to be revealed, but I think that the Z Star and Maxfil Tour are very, very similar.  Not a lot of difference that I'm finding.  This summer I will need to get some more golf balls, I will then be able to test out the 2023 versions of both.  If you can get the Srixon's on sale, it's a no brainer, but the Maxfli Tour currently is the best ball for the buck!!  It's still too good to be true, so with marketing on TV now, the dream may come to an end sooner rather than later as far as pricing goes.  We'll see on that front!

• Like 1

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star