Buying a new rangefinder - what should I purchase?

My accuracy check is to go to my local park and stand next to one goal post and read the other one (120 yards - field plus two 10 yard end zones). A secondary benefit is it checks how fast and accurately it picks up goal post and ignores background clutter.  If I want to read more yardage I can just bring my tape measure and back up in 10 yard increments.  

37 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

My accuracy check is to go to my local park and stand next to one goal post and read the other one (120 yards - field plus two 10 yard end zones). A secondary benefit is it checks how fast and accurately it picks up goal post and ignores background clutter.  If I want to read more yardage I can just bring my tape measure and back up in 10 yard increments.  

Have you ever tried one that's off by more than a yard or two?

On 2/26/2021 at 1:46 PM, MattM97 said:

I use a pretty much top of the line rangefinder/laser meant for forestry work/surveying and that doesn't perform in certain weather conditions. Hard to see how a golf rangefinder can overcome that and be accurate. 

FYI - some range finders and high-performance scopes used in hunting, even by snipers have functionality built in that allows the laser beam to overcome the reflection of rain drops,  rain influences and fog.  I believe Bushnell Elite has it and my old Bushnell Pro for golf has it too.  Because I almost never play the rain, can't say if my Approach Z82 has it, but it's accurate to 10", and has a number of sensors including wind built in that talks with Garmin Golf app, and it's weather resistant.    

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 hours ago, North Butte said:

Have you ever tried one that's off by more than a yard or two?

In a word - no.

I have two Bushnell V4's (slope and non-slope).  On the goal pole test they read the same yardage (just like when I compare them on the course).  I have gone to parks where the posts aren't 120 yards apart but typically within +- one yard.  What I've seen (or guessed) is that the poles bases are the proper yardage apart but the uprights (which is what I read) might be tilted from soft ground or people hanging on them. Its usually not an issue.  If you simply stand on the end line under the upright you can see if its vertical over the line.   

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, Snakster said:

Now on sale at Costco for 99.99. Really thinking about it now.

Don't even ponder as there's absolutely zero risk by purchasing.

Hey, it's Costco. Don't like it, bring it to the return counter with or without box or receipt and get refunded no questions asked.

• Like 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

On 4/11/2021 at 6:44 AM, Hateto3Putt said:

Don't even ponder as there's absolutely zero risk by purchasing.

Hey, it's Costco. Don't like it, bring it to the return counter with or without box or receipt and get refunded no questions asked.

Yes, I pounced.  And I noticed it was gone over the weekend so that sale must have sold out quickly. I notice it is back today but at the ‘regular’ price of 129.99

I have a Leupold Gx-5i3.  I've had it for maybe 4-5 years and before that I had a Leupold GX-1 for 4-5 years.  Since 2010 I've played 50-100 rounds per year and only used those 2 laser rangefinders for every round.  They've been in the rain, heat and sleet, and not treated gently.  My 5i3 needs a new battery every season and a half. 

Regardless of "fog mode" which I do not have, I've played in many rounds in the early morning or rainy days where other rangefinders were not working properly and mine was.  My Gx-5i3 is still going strong but I do like the idea of the Garmin Z82, although part of me thinks it might be just a little too much gadgetry for the golf course.  I wish I had a vibration instead of audible tone for pin lock, that is a nice feature. 

Overall, if my current RF died tomorrow, I'd probably wait to try and get my hands on a Leupold GX-2C.

• Like 1

Tried the caddy tech from Costco out on the course this evening.  I returned it to Costco tonight. There is not one time where I felt I could trust the distance I was getting. It was a bit windy so a little hard to try to hold steady and maybe that was the issue, but on the one par 3 I shot distance three times and got three markedly different distances each time. Maybe I’m just not a rangefinder guy.  I’ll now be looking at watches so I don’t have to pull out m6 phone all the time. 

I have a the Mileseey, and it has all the bells and whistles on a top end rf, it has both on/off for slope and range of 600 yrds and its currently a amazon star seller

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiLESEEY-Rangefinder-Flag-Lock-Tournament-Magnification/dp/B0899J1RJ7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3U9G1LZA6X8XJ&dchild=1&keywords=mileseey+golf+rangefinder&qid=1618573739&sprefix=Milesee%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQTk3M09LUlZENzg2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzU3MjgxM1MzSDJLTUVHMVBPQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTgyMzU1MVBXTVJYS0FTREtMVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I tried it on my local driving range (on a old coal mine so a large left to right sloped hilled range) at i thought was 150 yardage post but it was slightly forward i guess for range limiting balls. The slope is fantastic. 

Tried it on a local course the same morning and stood in the fairway at 150 to the flag which was uphill and was from the flag and all three reading were within 1 yard of each other between 150 and 151yrds. Feedback excellent and the flaglock is top end comes back in a second. 

well worth a shot if on a budget ️🏌🏻👍

9 hours ago, Snakster said:

Tried the caddy tech from Costco out on the course this evening.  I returned it to Costco tonight. There is not one time where I felt I could trust the distance I was getting. It was a bit windy so a little hard to try to hold steady and maybe that was the issue, but on the one par 3 I shot distance three times and got three markedly different distances each time. Maybe I’m just not a rangefinder guy.  I’ll now be looking at watches so I don’t have to pull out m6 phone all the time. 

If it's a strong, gusty wind using a laser rangefinder is pretty brutal. You almost have to brace yourself against a golf cart or a tree or something if you're very far from the green.

• Like 1

Upon further thought, I'll add this...

When it's windy enough I can't get a rangefinder lock on the flag then it's probably windy enough I have no idea how far my shots are going anyway!

I was playing a links course one time with the club professional. It was a pretty steady 15mph or so wind, not brutal but enough to be a challenge. On about the 7th or 8th hole I asked him how far a certain shot into the wind was playing.

His answer was, "Hard to say. I haven't seen you hit a shot solidly yet". Ouch. 

• Haha 1

I had the Bushnell Tour V3 Patriot Pack when it came out and it's still going strong in my son's bag all these years later.  I probably purchased it in 2014?

I switched about 2 years ago to the Precision Pro NX7 Slope because I wanted to try a slope option without paying the price of a big name.  I've been very happy with it and will most likely go with Precision Pro for my next range finder.  Hopefully that is years from now.

• Like 1

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

With a line like this, I couldn't say no.

WIDE DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS for THIS SPECIAL TIME - Except an outstanding rangefinder for avid golfer, newbie golfer and hunting enthusiast like usual, and now it's also an excellent choice for home yard outdoor little game toy under this special timing. 6x Clear magnification makes it could be used for single-tube binoculars for kids. Great accuracy, multiple and interesting functions let this rangefinder more valuable than ever.

🤣 it was an ad for a Gogogo VPro, it looks compact, so I figured why not.

• Confused 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 4/17/2021 at 8:45 AM, conted said:

TRC, which version do you have that you’re referring to the fog mode? 
I’m coming from 3i2 and between 5i3 and predication pro nx9 

Now see Cobalt Q6 in the market, which seems very similar to the Leupold GX 5i3 and has me somewhat interested, but need to read more reviews. 
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-quick-six-cobalt-golf/

In the market again... Went the cheap route and bought a Tec Tec Tec.  Holy waste of money.  🤦🏼‍♂️  Don’t be like me.

I like the Z82, a lot.  Looks like it’s got different views so you can get front and back distances, hazard distances, etc. which are major bonuses.  But that price, and website is saying 5-8 week wait.  The Pro XE is not far behind it in price with less features.  Ideally I’d like front, back, and flag with slope adjustment in one device.  Those three numbers are the most important to me.  Does it have to be in one device, no.  I’m fine gaming my Golf Buddy for front and back.  

I don’t want to throw more money down the drain and buy the wrong unit again but I’m also hesitant to spend 5 bills.  Back and forth in my head I go (I hate going back and forth in my head).  One of these days I’ll make a decision.  Reading everyone’s thoughts and experiences helps.

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

After about 3 months and probably 20 phone calls...Bushnell is finally replacing my Pro X2 with a Pro XE

I just purchased a BlueTees 3Max and it's actually pretty nice. Nice clear display and gives distances very quickly. But with the Bushnell coming I'll most likely return the Blue Tees

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

On 5/11/2021 at 2:44 AM, conted said:

Now see Cobalt Q6 in the market, which seems very similar to the Leupold GX 5i3 and has me somewhat interested, but need to read more reviews. 

I'm also very intrigued by this rangefinder but haven't been able to find too much more information about it other than the link you posted. I am disappointed it doesn't have a magnet like some of the other big brands are putting in theirs but if the Laser Tech is as good as they claim then I don't see why this wouldn't be the best range finder out there. 

2 hours ago, Afternoon Spray said:

I'm also very intrigued by this rangefinder but haven't been able to find too much more information about it other than the link you posted. I am disappointed it doesn't have a magnet like some of the other big brands are putting in theirs but if the Laser Tech is as good as they claim then I don't see why this wouldn't be the best range finder out there. 

I pulled the trigger and bought the Q6.  It was delivered tonight and I'm going to test it out tomorrow during an early nine before work.  I'll report back what I think.  

On 5/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, conted said:

I pulled the trigger and bought the Q6.  It was delivered tonight and I'm going to test it out tomorrow during an early nine before work.  I'll report back what I think.  

Any updates on your experiences with it? How does it compare to range finders you've used in the past? I have it added to my cart and I am really tempted to pull the trigger but I keep hesitating and want to hear some real world experiences with it. 

9 hours ago, Afternoon Spray said:

Any updates on your experiences with it? How does it compare to range finders you've used in the past? I have it added to my cart and I am really tempted to pull the trigger but I keep hesitating and want to hear some real world experiences with it. 

Hi Afternoon Spray, sorry for my delay in posting my experience.  I have used it, the Cobalt Q6 Slope, for two 12-hole early morning sessions.  For reference, I have never used a slope range finder, I am coming from a Leupold 3i2 for the last six or seven years, until I had noticed at the beginning of this season that the numbers in the display were fading and was told by Leupold that the numbers would continue to fade and it is not covered by warranty, but would provide a discount on one of their other rangefinders, which are backordered at least into July but no specific timing provided. Before the 3i2, I had a Callaway brand Nikon for a couple years getting my feet wet on rangefinders.  My comparison comments here will be limited to my experience with the 3i2 (I don't remember much about the Nikon, other than I really preferred the red display).  I had put in the order for the Q6 a few days before MGS's Best Rangefinders 2021 report had come out.  

Out of the box, it is bigger than I was used to (but may be comparable to non-Leupold rangefinders), but no news here as I had compared the dimensions before ordering.  As some people have mentioned on other sites, there was a worry that the knob would get in the way.  The knob has not been an issue for me, as I am a righty, a lefty may not like it.  The knob does cause a little big of a snag in putting the range finder back in the carrying case.  I mostly carry my bag (Sun Mountain 3.5LS), so I use the rangefinder sleeve (open pocket) in the bag for easy access rather than clipping the Cobalt case to the other side of the bag.  I like scanning my shot as I am stepping up to my shot and before I put my bag down, probably just a habit, so I don't have to bend over to take out of and put in the pouch the rangefinder.  I put the Q6 in the carrying case when I am done with my round. 

Use:  the range finder was on my short list because of the red display combined with the language around the Lifetime Warranty (note my warranty issue noted before and my worry that all red displays will become defective at some point...).  The Q6 has a very long range.  Magnification works well, but I don't usually change it once I have a setting set.  The Q6 locks on the target very quick, definitely quicker than I was used to.  One thing that I thought was odd, was that the lock display & pulse was for any target, not just the prisms on the flagstick.  Maybe this is common nowadays, but I always thought this tech only showed a "lock" when hitting a prism.  The slope works very quick, you don't need to scan again if you want to toggle between slope and non-slope, after a "lock" you can toggle and the yardage changes to reflect the setting.  I play in a few tournaments, so I probably won't use the Slope function too often, but thought it would be nice to have for comparing against what I was thinking during practice sessions.  

Conclusion:  I like the rangefinder.  It does just as it says it does.  I don't get too excited about rangefinders, just want it to measure distance accurately and quickly while staying within the rules (slope off), which many rangefinders do.  The Q6 is a little pricey compared to the other rangefinders in the market, but as I have touched on earlier, the red display, lifetime warranty, and the company's background in rangefinders are what sold me.  Would I buy it again/recommend it? Yes.  

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to reply here or DM me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conted said:

Hi Afternoon Spray, sorry for my delay in posting my experience.  I have used it, the Cobalt Q6 Slope, for two 12-hole early morning sessions.  For reference, I have never used a slope range finder, I am coming from a Leupold 3i2 for the last six or seven years, until I had noticed at the beginning of this season that the numbers in the display were fading and was told by Leupold that the numbers would continue to fade and it is not covered by warranty, but would provide a discount on one of their other rangefinders, which are backordered at least into July but no specific timing provided. Before the 3i2, I had a Callaway brand Nikon for a couple years getting my feet wet on rangefinders.  My comparison comments here will be limited to my experience with the 3i2 (I don't remember much about the Nikon, other than I really preferred the red display).  I had put in the order for the Q6 a few days before MGS's Best Rangefinders 2021 report had come out.  

Out of the box, it is bigger than I was used to (but may be comparable to non-Leupold rangefinders), but no news here as I had compared the dimensions before ordering.  As some people have mentioned on other sites, there was a worry that the knob would get in the way.  The knob has not been an issue for me, as I am a righty, a lefty may not like it.  The knob does cause a little big of a snag in putting the range finder back in the carrying case.  I mostly carry my bag (Sun Mountain 3.5LS), so I use the rangefinder sleeve (open pocket) in the bag for easy access rather than clipping the Cobalt case to the other side of the bag.  I like scanning my shot as I am stepping up to my shot and before I put my bag down, probably just a habit, so I don't have to bend over to take out of and put in the pouch the rangefinder.  I put the Q6 in the carrying case when I am done with my round. 

Use:  the range finder was on my short list because of the red display combined with the language around the Lifetime Warranty (note my warranty issue noted before and my worry that all red displays will become defective at some point...).  The Q6 has a very long range.  Magnification works well, but I don't usually change it once I have a setting set.  The Q6 locks on the target very quick, definitely quicker than I was used to.  One thing that I thought was odd, was that the lock display & pulse was for any target, not just the prisms on the flagstick.  Maybe this is common nowadays, but I always thought this tech only showed a "lock" when hitting a prism.  The slope works very quick, you don't need to scan again if you want to toggle between slope and non-slope, after a "lock" you can toggle and the yardage changes to reflect the setting.  I play in a few tournaments, so I probably won't use the Slope function too often, but thought it would be nice to have for comparing against what I was thinking during practice sessions.  

Conclusion:  I like the rangefinder.  It does just as it says it does.  I don't get too excited about rangefinders, just want it to measure distance accurately and quickly while staying within the rules (slope off), which many rangefinders do.  The Q6 is a little pricey compared to the other rangefinders in the market, but as I have touched on earlier, the red display, lifetime warranty, and the company's background in rangefinders are what sold me.  Would I buy it again/recommend it? Yes.  

Thanks for the in depth review. I appreciate it a ton!

On 5/26/2021 at 6:40 PM, conted said:

So I ended up pulling the trigger. I did a little more digging into the company behind cobalt, LaserTech or LTI. According to their website, they partnered with Bushnell in the early 90s and they design and manufacture the lasers used in all Bushnell products. So I'm confident it will be a top tier accurate rangefinder, and it claims longer more accurate yardages and slope readings than the Bushnell Pro XE that is a good bit more expensive. Add in the lifetime warranty and I was sold. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, sadclevelandsports said:

I have the old NX7 non-sloped RF, and it's great. Had it around 6 months, thrown it around, left it in a hot car, works fine. Distances almost exactly the same as my buddy's bushnell. I paid $140 with a promotion. 

I snagged a non-slope NX7 recently off Amazon for $99.  Liked it so much, I returned it and upgraded to the slope NX9.  Arriving today.  

On 4/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, Snakster said:

Possibly a little user error there.  It took me several holes before I got the hang of using a new NX7.  I had to smooth out the unsteady hands and interference with the view finder.  Much more quick and accurate as the round went on.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:44 AM, conted said:

I was selected for this rangefinder as a tester here on GolfWrx. Just got it and tested in the backyard. Seems extremely fast. More to come in the official thread coming soon. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick