2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G425 Max?

Honeybadger

20 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Has anyone noticed a lower flight when the weight is in the heel than the other two positions? 

I have not noticed that. I only noticed a lower ball flight when I set the loft sleeve in the minus (open) positions.

But I read somewhere that the MOI is at it highest (over 10,000 total for both x and y axis combined) when the weight is in the fade position. This makes sense to me as the more weight out toward the toe would spread the weight further out versus the inherent weight from the hosel, loft sleeve and shaft therefore increasing overall MOI. I have been playing mine in the fade position on and off all year and have noticed better overall results in that position with less gear effect on toe misses. Just my observations.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 8:16 AM, adonad said:

I am sticking with my g400max until it breaks. I can’t stand the sound of 425 😕

I wish I would have stayed with the G400Max.  I've gone through a ton of drivers since and ended back up with the G410 Plus. But it still isn't as good as the G400 Max. I actually bought back the one I sold, but she was mad at me and never was the same.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Winning a certain website’s 2022 driver test even though it’s a year old. Nice!

Read those results also and they were interesting!  Sometimes new is not better!  BUT, for me I have to test things myself and in my experience what works best for me often does not match the tests

1 hour ago, Lobber said:

Read those results also and they were interesting!  Sometimes new is not better!  BUT, for me I have to test things myself and in my experience what works best for me often does not match the tests

Last year the results were not that great. And they updated their site and wrote this on their Most Wanted 2021 page:

Editor’s Note: The PING G425 MAX and G425 LST drivers were originally included in this test. Subsequently, we learned that the clubs tested did not match the off-the-rack, retail specification. As a result, we have removed them from the test.

I guess this is the reason why the G425 MAX did so good this time around?

Edited by msg

13 minutes ago, msg said:

Last year the results were not that great. And they updated their site and wrote this on their Most Wanted 2021 page:

Editor’s Note: The PING G425 MAX and G425 LST drivers were originally included in this test. Subsequently, we learned that the clubs tested did not match the off-the-rack, retail specification. As a result, we have removed them from the test.

I guess this is the reason why the G425 MAX did so good this time around?

Where do you see the editor’s note?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Where do you see the editor’s note?

It on this part (The Q&A part):

MOST WANTED – DETERMINING THE BEST DRIVERS FOR 2021

Q: What is your fitting process?

A: We use a fitting process that we call fit from stock.  Drivers are fitted to each tester using available stock no up-charge options from each manufacturer. We test with stamped lofts between nine and 10.5 degrees and fully utilize the fitting capability within each manufacturer’s lineup. This includes leveraging, loft, lie, face angle adjustability (hosel), movable weights and available shafts.

Q: How is the “Most Wanted Driver” determined?

A: After eliminating outliers, we calculate the average strokes gained values for each combination of tester and golf club. The club that produces the highest strokes gained values relative to the field average is our Most Wanted.

Q: How is the “Longest Driver” determined?

A: Our total distance metric determines the Longest Driver.

Q: How is the “Most Forgiving Driver” determined?

A: To determine our Most Forgiving driver, we compare strokes gained values for the best shots each tester hits with each driver to the worst. The club that produces the narrowest gap in strokes gained values is our Most Forgiving.

Q: How much does subjective feedback such as looks, sound and feel factor into your rankings?

A: ZERO. Our rankings are based on launch monitor data and quantifiable performance metrics.

Q: Will you publish a breakdown of the results by swing speed as you have in the past?

A: Yes. Those results will be published in the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, msg said:

It on this part (The Q&A part):

MOST WANTED – DETERMINING THE BEST DRIVERS FOR 2021

Q: What is your fitting process?

A: We use a fitting process that we call fit from stock.  Drivers are fitted to each tester using available stock no up-charge options from each manufacturer. We test with stamped lofts between nine and 10.5 degrees and fully utilize the fitting capability within each manufacturer’s lineup. This includes leveraging, loft, lie, face angle adjustability (hosel), movable weights and available shafts.

Q: How is the “Most Wanted Driver” determined?

A: After eliminating outliers, we calculate the average strokes gained values for each combination of tester and golf club. The club that produces the highest strokes gained values relative to the field average is our Most Wanted.

Q: How is the “Longest Driver” determined?

A: Our total distance metric determines the Longest Driver.

Q: How is the “Most Forgiving Driver” determined?

A: To determine our Most Forgiving driver, we compare strokes gained values for the best shots each tester hits with each driver to the worst. The club that produces the narrowest gap in strokes gained values is our Most Forgiving.

Q: How much does subjective feedback such as looks, sound and feel factor into your rankings?

A: ZERO. Our rankings are based on launch monitor data and quantifiable performance metrics.

Q: Will you publish a breakdown of the results by swing speed as you have in the past?

A: Yes. Those results will be published in the coming weeks.

I don’t see that there. Did they get hacked?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The Ping's in question were removed from the 2021 results, leaving only the G425SFT data in that year's results.  The results of the 2022 test have the G425 Max at the top.  But people are getting confused and trying to suggest bad testing results, because they are comparing 2021 SFT numbers to 2022 MAX numbers.  Even the comments section of the article has a lot of confused people.

IMO, the most important part of the test is the separate data page they link in the main article.  It is an interactive chart that let's you choose swing speed range, and also attack angle.  It is interesting how one driver can go from near the top at a certain attack angle and speed, then drop considerably when both of those factors change.  Or vice versa.  If you know those basic parameters of your swing, you can dial in the top rated drivers.

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

1 minute ago, msg said:

Yes, the 2021 testing. A lot of people were wondering, including myself on why the 2021 test of the G425 MAX was just average and 2022 Test it came out on top. I guess that is the reason why. 

Does seem a bit fishy

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If not for the sound ( I know it seems petty but ) I would have replaced my G400 Max with the G425. I love the way it looks and the stability is a bit better than my G400. But, I can still remember that range session when I borrowed my friend's G425 MAX and it was 6 am and I swear, I did wake some people up. lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, msg said:

If not for the sound ( I know it seems petty but ) I would have replaced my G400 Max with the G425. I love the way it looks and the stability is a bit better than my G400. But, I can still remember that range session when I borrowed my friend's G425 MAX and it was 6 am and I swear, I did wake some people up. lol 

One of the reasons I still play the G400 is because it's quieter than the G400 Max which is noticeably more quiet than the G425. 

Ping needs to figure this out, has to cost them sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I hate the sound but seems to be getting better the more I hit it. And I can’t argue with the results it’s been giving me. 

Someone here posted that you can put a cotton ball in it and it mutes the sound…

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

48 minutes ago, msg said:

I think it was very recent. I was still able to see the G425 MAX and LST yesterday in the 2021 results. 

Super fishy. If a non off-the-rack club was used, you’d think the 2021 version would have been hotter, not worse. But the 2022 test club is hotter. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

5 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I hate the sound but seems to be getting better the more I hit it. And I can’t argue with the results it’s been giving me. 

And results should be the bottom line. IMO, who cares what it sounds like, really. If I hit it well, it could sound like a train wreck for all I care. My Callaway FT-5 would turn everyone's head when I hit it on the range. I have a new G425 Max Driver waiting to be hit, from Christmas, once I get over my elbow surgery. Can't wait to turn some heads again, if it sounds as bad as some make it sound 🙂

Edited by Chuck_IV

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, 3W, 5W - Aldila Rogue White 130 shafts

Ping G425 3 Crossover Iron - Aldila Rogue Black 95TS shaft

Ping G425 4-PW, UW Green Dot, Power Spec, AWT 2.0 S shafts

Vokey 56 degree 14F Sand Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Labs Tuttle Mallet putter

Sounds like they were using a 0.5” shorter shaft last year than other 425 shaft models. Some retail shafts are 45.25”, others 45.75”. If they were using a shorter shaft, it’s still stock, so I don’t know what the problem was. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 2/22/2022 at 11:00 PM, Holy Moses said:

Sounds like they were using a 0.5” shorter shaft last year than other 425 shaft models. Some retail shafts are 45.25”, others 45.75”. If they were using a shorter shaft, it’s still stock, so I don’t know what the problem was. 

Stock tour shaft is 45.25 and other shafts offered are at 45.75

On 2/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, Chuck_IV said:

And results should be the bottom line. IMO, who cares what it sounds like, really. If I hit it well, it could sound like a train wreck for all I care. My Callaway FT-5 would turn everyone's head when I hit it on the range. I have a new G425 Max Driver waiting to be hit, from Christmas, once I get over my elbow surgery. Can't wait to turn some heads again, if it sounds as bad as some make it sound 🙂

The G425 Max certainly isn't going to win any awards for acoustic, but it goes long and goes straight (for me, anyway).  I'd certainly prefer a better tone, but anything short of fingernails on a chalkboard is fine with me if it works!  

• Thanks 1

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

On 2/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, Holy Moses said:

Does anyone know when the reviewer’s test had the 2021 G25 retracted? Was it just in the last few days or had it been a while?

This is really sketchy and the main reason I never buy anything based off big site/yt or magazine reviews. Test it for myself multiple times and the best one goes in the bag. 

2 hours ago, m3fuz said:

The G425 Max certainly isn't going to win any awards for acoustic, but it goes long and goes straight (for me, anyway).  I'd certainly prefer a better tone, but anything short of fingernails on a chalkboard is fine with me if it works!  

Rogue ST Max is the new G425 with better sound 😃

I got one from Global Golf U Try and tried it today. This MGS most wanted report did really piqued my interest.  It does sit closed at address compared to G410 Plus and G400 MAX. I got the Alta CB stiff and that shaft is really soft imo. I have a Tour shaft in stiff and when I plugged it in, the driver felt better. As for the sound, yes it is really loud. LOL It is really stable but not much different from G400 MAX. 

6 hours ago, msg said:

I got one from Global Golf U Try and tried it today. This MGS most wanted report did really piqued my interest.  It does sit closed at address compared to G410 Plus and G400 MAX. I got the Alta CB stiff and that shaft is really soft imo. I have a Tour shaft in stiff and when I plugged it in, the driver felt better. As for the sound, yes it is really loud. LOL It is really stable but not much different from G400 MAX. 

MQS is getting dragged on Twitter for naming it their most wanted after having it well down their 2021 rankings. Today they tried to claim it was because they had an out of spec test driver in 2021. Now they are getting dragged for that too.  It seems implausible that with all the testing they do they somehow got a driver way out of spec and didn't notice it. And that excuse would have held more water if they addressed the difference in results in the article...not after being called out on it on social media.  Between that and the fitting podcast fiasco, they've seemed to burn up a lot of goodwill the last few months.

I love PING drivers since the G15.  I've had some version of one in my bag 80% of time since then.  The G400 Max is my favorite driver of all time. IMO, the G425 didn't live up their recent offerings. It wasn't as forgiving as the G400 Max or as consistent as the G410 Plus. And it sounded horrible. It's a gorgeous driver. I wanted to love it, but after a month sold it and went back to the G410.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'