2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2021 HSBC Women's World Championship (Apr 29 - May 02)

Argonne69

2 hours ago, Stooch said:

Don't know when I became an over night Hannah fan lol.  I do like those aggressive ballstrikers.  Brooke and Sei Young Kim are  basically 1(a) and  1(b) for my favorite players.  I honestly think they are the exact same players with identical skill sets, just one model was designed in Korea and the other in Canada lol  There is one big difference though, one of them can put you through a wall with her martials arts training lol

And the other can stymie you on a breakaway!  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sure is a lot of head stratching going on with some of the missed putts, even from those whom played the course a few times.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This tournament feels very different without Nelly, Brooke, Sei Young, Jessica and Lexi.  It's almost like there is a void in the middle.  Next week will be even more emptier with no Jin Young nor Inbee.

How time has changed, especially with the Pandemic!  I remember the old days staying all night sweating over every shot!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Not a heck of a lot of movement in the 2nd round. A few rounds were better than most, e.g. Ally, Hannah, Carlota, but otherwise it seems like a day to try and not lose ground.

Nice to see Hee Young hanging in there. I think she's enough of a veteran to not get rattled playing with Inbee.

What's with the background distractions? Last week it was the incessant leaf blowers. This week it sounds like a truck/cart backing up. Sheesh.

The beep-beep-beep is so annoying!  Is the broadcast studio inside a quarry??  My uncle owns a busy sand pit and it's quieter than this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am as confused and befuddled as everyone else with the coverage background "sound effects" (see my post in previous pg - thought it was crickets -- coz i do hear them all the time when I was posted in SG in the morning along River Valley Road where I used to live there LOL) ...

BTW, they call it a Lorry instead of a truck haha (eg @Argonne69)... maybe it's a golf cart backing up, but wth, backing up that long a duration?   LOL...   (not sure if it was argonne or Stooch commenting on the trucks backing up)... for a commonwealth member, i am suprised we don't use lorries here but spell colour not color! 

Clearly a slow day here for me, catching up on this forum and whatnot... besides, we are held in prison here in ontario aka lockdown 

• Like 2

Charley Hull is T27 but her Race to CME Globe standing is projected to drop from #36 to #41; because she won't earn any CME points as a sponsor invite in a no-cut event.  The same is true for Xiyu Lin and Patty Tavatanakit.

There'll be ten sponsor invites next week including six LPGA members who won't earn any CME points.  Patty Tavatanakit, on the other hand, is called a "Special Exemption" which will enable her to win CME points.

The only way a sponsor invite can earn CME points is if she wins the tournament.  In that scenario, the win is official, so are the CME points.

I'm glad we use Rolex points in our contest.  Rolex will hand out points according to the finish, invitees or exemptions.  

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I can't imagine playing in those humid conditions with that thing on.  Yikes

It's probably made from the same material that they use for sun sleeves. It likely breathes a lot better than we expect. I'd still prefer not to have to wear one. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

4 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I am as confused and befuddled as everyone else with the coverage background "sound effects" (see my post in previous pg - thought it was crickets -- coz i do hear them all the time when I was posted in SG in the morning along River Valley Road where I used to live there LOL) ...

BTW, they call it a Lorry instead of a truck haha (eg @Argonne69)... maybe it's a golf cart backing up, but wth, backing up that long a duration?   LOL...   (not sure if it was argonne or Stooch commenting on the trucks backing up)... for a commonwealth member, i am suprised we don't use lorries here but spell colour not color! 

Clearly a slow day here for me, catching up on this forum and whatnot... besides, we are held in prison here in ontario aka lockdown 

Lorrie. Trolley. Bonnet. Boot. Fish fingers. What kind of English is that? Lol. 😆

I do like the use of Fish Fingers. We have Chicken Fingers in the US, but Chicken Tenders? 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Yuck said:

Could Tony Romo beat Inbee?

Only if Inbee was required to use a pool cue, and play left handed and blind folded. 

• Haha 2

Yes, I know I sound like a broken record, but c'mon LPGA, put the scrambling stats on the website. I don't care about holes in one or sand saves. Scrambling is probably the 2nd most important stat. 

Inbee leads the tour in scrambling at 76%. Why don't I know this??? Grrrr 

• Like 1

A little surprised that Kate doesn't know why Hee Young is known as "The Rocket". It's not because she flies around the course. She got her knickname due to her tendency to rocket up the leaderboard. 

• Like 1

Why do i never see the drive distance measured out on long holes in the women's game?  Even if no radar device handy, some graphic could easily be in place to identify location on fairway and drive distance.  Such was done decades ago on the Euro men's tour. 

My spin on this?  Lucky to find LPGA carry drives of 250 yards, so compared to the men, quite short.  If so comparatively short, why let the girls look bad on TV?  Avoid the problem by not showing or talking about it. 

I can only see UTube replays, so maybe things on live TV are different, but i do think the LPGA do not want any type of comparisons, solely to save face.

36 minutes ago, jobin said:

Why do i never see the drive distance measured out on long holes in the women's game?  Even if no radar device handy, some graphic could easily be in place to identify location on fairway and drive distance.  Such was done decades ago on the Euro men's tour. 

My spin on this?  Lucky to find LPGA carry drives of 250 yards, so compared to the men, quite short.  If so comparatively short, why let the girls look bad on TV?  Avoid the problem by not showing or talking about it. 

I can only see UTube replays, so maybe things on live TV are different, but i do think the LPGA do not want any type of comparisons, solely to save face.

Because they don't have ShotLink. The driving average is measured on two holes only, and is available on the LPGA website when viewing the full scorecard. 

Yes, it's frustrating. We'd all love to have ShotLink, and the stats it provides. Carry? Proximity to the hole? Yes, please.

If you watch enough rounds, you'll see that the info is available for the feature groups. When Jerry and Karen are on the course, more times than not they'll state the yardage to the hole, and knowing the hole length, one can calculate the driving distance. 

Edit: actually, since they're showing the tracer on many holes, which I assume is Trackman, there's no reason they couldn't show the carry yardage. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Is it my imagination, or does the Australian crew show waaaay more shots than the Golf Channel crew? It sure seems the Australian crew cuts between shots at a much more rapid pace than the GC crew. We don't see nearly as many extended segments where players are standing around for a minute plus lining up putts or contemplating approach shots. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Lorrie. Trolley. Bonnet. Boot. Fish fingers. What kind of English is that? Lol. 😆

I do like the use of Fish Fingers. We have Chicken Fingers in the US, but Chicken Tenders? 

My pet peeve word here: deplane! WTH... Use disembark!! (Only in North am, esp in the states :P). Next time I'll decar, detrain, desubway 😂

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Is it my imagination, or does the Australian crew show waaaay more shots than the Golf Channel crew? It sure seems the Australian crew cuts between shots at a much more rapid pace than the GC crew. We don't see nearly as many extended segments where players are standing around for a minute plus lining up putts or contemplating approach shots. 

No, they shoot more shots indeed and I hear less "chatting around"...however there's less "fresh" gossip too from the commentators lol.

58 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A little surprised that Kate doesn't know why Hee Young is known as "The Rocket". It's not because she flies around the course. She got her knickname due to her tendency to rocket up the leaderboard. 

See, I told ya there's less "gossip" known by the asian leg commentators (understandable of course)...

But they do call more shots per hour of coverage if you like that kinda viewing... Eg more "action packed" 

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

@Argonne69: The local Singapore stream (uninterrupted & with No Adverts & with Kate/ SuAnn/ Tim commentary) =available, if you have a VPN!

(same link =previously shared by @Supermilo 🙏)

➡️https://www.mewatch.sg/channels/live-2/97078

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only recall one tournament ever where they were using some fancy tech to give all the flight details - carry, run-out, apex, deviation etc. - but only on one hole. It was incredibly interesting. Most players were carrying 220-240, but getting a lot of run-out. Some of the shorter hitters, and mis-hits were back around 200.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

More shots - definitely! But I like the commentators less. Are they an Australian crew? There are no Aussies amongst them. Also, they need someone on the course.

7 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

See, I told ya there's less "gossip" known by the asian leg commentators (understandable of course)...

But they do call more shots per hour of coverage if you like that kinda viewing... Eg more "action packed" 

@Supermilo:  Not sure about the “Less gossip” comment...

One of the commentators (SuAnn) = an ex-pro, and seems to be on 1-to-1  WhatsApp chats with many players in the field eg Lydia, Yani etc

(and has included some insights from those chats... albeit nothing salacious/ indiscreet! previously lived in Orlando/ChampionsGate and trained with HeeYoung Park, etc... so shared some of those observations too)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Raving Shanker said:

More shots - definitely! But I like the commentators less. Are they an Australian crew? There are no Aussies amongst them. Also, they need someone on the course.

They're not allowed on the course now in SG... (Media = outer bubble), players/officials (inner bubble).... More so now with infiltration of covid last 2 days in tan tock seng and Changi airport ICA officials...

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Supermilo:  Not sure about the “Less gossip” comment...

One of the commentators (SuAnn) = an ex-pro, and seems to be on 1-to-1  WhatsApp chats with many players in the field eg Lydia, Yani etc

(and has included some insights from those chats... previously lived in Orlando/ChampionsGate and trained with HeeYoung Park, etc... so shared some of those observations too)

True in that sense, but not as well versed with the "gossip" of the younger upstarts relative to GC which has college central... Eg covering them from college like Patty in UCLA, etc... But these guys in Asia definitely gives a different perspective/spin.  Dunno how to describe exactly... An analogy will be American vs Brit... Same English, different flair(?)

• Like 1