2021 Bank of Hope LPGA Match Play (May 26 - 30)

Does Bezos play golf?  Soon he will be the owner of Shadow  Creek, as an MGM property.  He  will certainly refuse to permit certain high-profile golfing politicians any tee time there!

And Shadow Creek itself is nothing if not a monument to excess and greed.  Big water shortage looming in the Colorado River basin and only the rich will survive. Is wasting water on pretty ponds and fake waterfalls the highest use of a precious resource? Read more here:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/shadow-creek

And while i choose not to bet/gamble my coins on sport events i realize many do want to bet.  Soccer matches throughout the world are contests drawing billion of $$ weekly  over the online and betting parlors.  But is golf well suited to players betting and to ordinary fans betting on outcomes?  Easy to find some jerk in the crowd yelling out while top player takes his tee shot, jerk hoping to influence the outcome of the match.

I read D. Kang, and others, all in favor of golf betting so to bring more $$ to the LPGA tour.  She, perhaps many, think golf IS all about betting and winning money, even if only $1/hole in local fourball.  I cannot agree. 

On this:

image.png.81bae351a39dfdc2d96a30efbb8b8604.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Not sure why they play for 3rd place anyway. After missing out on the finals, I can't imagine the two players are all that pumped to go out again. Split the prize money and call it a day. 

With how Ariya looked after 36 yesterday, I'm thinking Shanshan lost a coin flip and she had to give up 3rd lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, the course is gorgeous. Definitely on my bucket list after seeing the PGA and LPGA tee it up here. The fact that the lands was basically raw desert when they started makes it more amazing. It's crazy what one can do with truckloads of dirt/sand and a few bulldozers.

When you check that off the ol' bucket list, check out Wolf Creek in Mesquite.

• Like 2

Sophia Popov is far more appealing than the rest of these ladies combined.

Oh, and this just in... Danielle Kang has finally reached her residence only three miles away after lining up a ride home. Word has it she backed off her driver 41 times before deciding to stay the night at Shadow Creek and trying again this morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

I'm shocked myself, but I've actually gotten used to Morgan Pressel in these last couple events. 

Bottom line, it's hard to find people who aren't stupid. Morgan's not stupid. Give your brain time and it'll get accustomed to her voice. We're all going to be thankful Morgan stepped up if she sticks with it. 

Totally agree on Ariya. She's my personal fav. Would've loved to have seen Ariya & Moriya go back-to-back-to-back. Oh, well. 

Then who ever produces the show better get a better sound technician because every time Morgan speaks, her volume is far too loud for her voice.  They need to put a hard limiter on her track considerable decibel levels lower than the others.    It's the loudness that grates and makes it difficult to listen to her.

8 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

One major is really not that bad, considering only 10 active full time players have more than 1. Inbee with 7, the other 9 have 2 each.

Doesn't invalidate the point which is that 1 major doesn't make you king of the world. 

I just know that (for me) there's something in Danielle Kang's on-course persona that feels a little arrogant. People probably saw Tiger in the same way early on. 

But that's the point, Tiger was Tiger and always took the L's in a reasonably classy way. Danielle is not TW and needs to handle herself better IMHO.

She was asked a question in her little post-round interview where she was given an opportunity to credit her opponent. She completely ignored the question and instead decided to focus on how well she herself played and how she lost due to the course robbing her. It was as if she couldn't fathom that she lost and was so jacked-up in the moment that she could barely finish her sentences, none of which seemed to really go together. 

To me, that's not super classy. She's so invested in herself it's off-putting at times. Some will call it competitive. Kind of junky if you ask me. Easier to justify being a dork if you're Tiger. Danielle ain't. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 5/27/2021 at 12:25 PM, Argonne69 said:

Yes, I know that, but this is a limited field event. It was the same with the CME last year. The so-called tour championship should not have sponsors invites, or they should go to players who missed the cutoff due to extenuating circumstances.

I would agree with you but I’m not putting up the prize money.  The sponsor would prefer a name from the past to #65 unknown player.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

4 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Doesn't invalidate the point which is that 1 major doesn't make you king of the world. 

I just know that (for me) there's something in Danielle Kang's on-course persona that feels a little arrogant. People probably saw Tiger in the same way early on. 

But that's the point, Tiger was Tiger. Danielle is not. 

Fair enough. Is it arrogance or confidence?  I think what you're seeing is a Danielle that finally has the confidence to be a winner. Just my opinion, and I respect yours as well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Fair enough. Is it arrogance or confidence?  I think what you're seeing is a Danielle that finally has the confidence to be a winner. Just my opinion, and I respect yours as well.

Read my edited post above about her interview response. 

When it came time to tip the cap to her opponent she totally rejected the question.

Not classy. 

To me, Ally is an adult. She's been through a lot. She's battle-tested. She's married to the head of the Mississippi State's women's golf program (Charlie Ewing). In other words, she's a real person, which is precisely what makes her likable.

An individual like Ally isn't going to be intimidated by silly antics. On the contrary, antics tend to motivate people against you, which in Danielle's case is not a good thing considering the fact she's most certainly fallible. 

I sense Danielle is still a kid relishing the newfound popularity her recent play has garnered. Good for her. She's in all the magazines right now. She's capitalizing on being one of the few Americans out there. I'm not for a second knocking her play or her ranking. She's fierce. She deserves credit. It's all just a little off-putting on a personal level is all, especially not crediting your opponent. She's kind of a try-hard whose sour response to a loss betrays the somewhat unglamorous side to people with that "confident" personality. 

Following up though, while it was said that Ally and Danielle might be teammates on the Solheim cup, I'm not so sure. I sensed some actually chilliness between both of them out there. The best competitors aren't always the best of friends. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 4

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

11 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

When it came time to tip the cap to her opponent she totally rejected the question.

Not classy. 

To me, Ally is an adult. She's been through a lot. She's battle-tested. She's married to the head of whatever university golf program they were talking about. She's a real person. A person like her isn't going to be intimidated by silly antics. On the contrary, antics tend to motivate people against you, which in Danielle's case is not a good thing considering the fact she's most certainly fallible. 

I sense Danielle is still a kid relishing the newfound popularity her recent play has garnered. Good for her. I'm not for a second knocking her play. She's fierce. Just off-putting on a personal level is all. Kind of a try-hard. 

Following up though, while it was said that Ally and Danielle might be teammates on the Solheim cup, I'm not so sure. I sensed some actually chilliness between both of them out there. The best competitors aren't always the best of friends. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPetT8QHTrK/?utm_medium=copy_link

Seems like a respectable post to everyone involved.

10 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPetT8QHTrK/?utm_medium=copy_link

Seems like a respectable post to everyone involved.

I'm talking about her (verbal) comments immediately after the round. Did you hear her on the mic being interviewed shortly after the match concluded? 

The question wasn't the best. I'll admit that. It was sort of a twisting of the knife and maybe caught Danielle a little off-guard, but it wasn't crazy. The question had a "How about your opponent Ally Ewing!?" feel to it, but Danielle's response was not great. Basically didn't say a word about Ally and went on for some awkward length about getting a bad bounce. Just saying though, it was clear as day that she was more focused on herself than giving the obligatory tip-of-the-cap to the competitor. 

I think it was a slip. You ask why people don't always love Danielle. It comes down to stuff like that.

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 minute ago, preiter20 said:

I’m all for Danielle and someone like Christie Kerr.  I don’t like milquetoast competitors.  Everyone is hugs and kisses on this tour.  This isn’t a popularity contest.  Yes, be polite, be professional, but you don’t need to be all huggy/kissy face.

You said it yourself. Be polite and professional. 

The opposite of that is impolite and unprofessional and that's kind of what we're talking about. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

They need to move this to the week before the Kia. Temps would be lower. Ally and Sophia are troopers, but they're struggling. No surprise. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, ChronicSlicer said:

When you check that off the ol' bucket list, check out Wolf Creek in Mesquite.

I played Wolf Creek a few years ago. Definitely deluxe eye candy. It made my top 5 favorite courses. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

They need to move this to the week before the Kia. Temps would be lower. Ally and Sophia are troopers, but they're struggling. No surprise. 

Yeah, it's an insane amount of golf to play in boiling heat the week before a Major when you'd like to be rested up, LOL. 

Not ideal. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Why is this course considered so elite? 

From what I can tell it's claim to fame is it's proximity to Vegas and it's rock-hard / unplayable greens. Not exactly a destination course I'd want to play. 

How many times do we have to see the best players in the world miss on the same impossible shots and bogey the same stupid holes? 

I guess it's pretty but is that legitimately what gets courses ranked these days? Ugh. Who cares? 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 minutes ago, preiter20 said:

I’m all for Danielle and someone like Christie Kerr.  I don’t like milquetoast competitors.  Everyone is hugs and kisses on this tour.  This isn’t a popularity contest.  Yes, be polite, be professional, but you don’t need to be all huggy/kissy face.

Huggy/kissy can be a great strategy to disarm one's opponent. Lydia mastered that early in her career. Care for a piece of fruit? Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Huggy/kissy can be a great strategy to disarm one's opponent. Lydia mastered that early in her career. Care for a piece of fruit? Lol. 

Lydia mastered whooping some Word not allowed, whatever the strategy may have been lol. Good lord, "word not allowed" it was a $ $, lol

Edited by ChronicSlicer
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Why is this course considered so elite? 

From what I can tell it's claim to fame is it's proximity to Vegas and it's rock-hard / unplayable greens. Not exactly a destination course I'd want to play. 

How many times do we have to see the best players in the world miss on the same impossible shots and bogey the same stupid holes? 

I guess it's pretty but is that legitimately what gets courses ranked these days? Ugh. Who cares? 

Probably because there's nothing like it in Vegas. It's exclusive. It's lush. I imagine the conditions arent quite this severe when guests tee it up. 

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Probably because there's nothing like it in Vegas. It's exclusive. It's lush. I imagine the conditions arent quite this severe when guests tee it up. 

Yeah, it's exclusive. I understand that aspect. 

Several of the holes look corny to me though. I guess it's unique to Vegas but a lush, well-manicure course with a babbling brook running through it...sounds like countless resort-type courses. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

All of the trees and creeks does seem excessive in a desert. Lake Mead is at an all-time low level right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this course was developed by Steve Wynn and he intentionally put in a lot of trees to create shade because he has an eye disease where he can't be in bright sunlight.

Danielle Kang yesterday said during the coverage that she would like to see an Open there.. I'm not sure about that idea. She lives in Vegas and plays there a lot.

Edited by J-Blade
  • Like 1

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

21 minutes ago, J-Blade said:

All of the trees and creeks does seem excessive in a desert. Lake Mead is at an all-time low level right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this course was developed by Steve Wynn and he intentionally put in a lot of trees to create shade because he has an eye disease where he can't be in bright sunlight.

Danielle Kang yesterday said during the coverage that she would like to see an Open there.. I'm not sure about that idea. She lives in Vegas and plays there a lot.

I've read that he was trying to copy Sherwood CC, where he played a lot of golf. 

There's just too little open space to host a major. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

Not classy. 

To me, Ally is an adult. She's been through a lot. She's battle-tested. She's married to the head of the Mississippi State's women's golf program (Charlie Ewing). In other words, she's a real person, which is precisely what makes her likable.

An individual like Ally isn't going to be intimidated by silly antics. On the contrary, antics tend to motivate people against you, which in Danielle's case is not a good thing considering the fact she's most certainly fallible. 

I sense Danielle is still a kid relishing the newfound popularity her recent play has garnered. Good for her. She's in all the magazines right now. She's capitalizing on being one of the few Americans out there. I'm not for a second knocking her play or her ranking. She's fierce. She deserves credit. It's all just a little off-putting on a personal level is all, especially not crediting your opponent. She's kind of a try-hard whose sour response to a loss betrays the somewhat unglamorous side to people with that "confident" personality. 

Sheesh @MelloYello ... why don't you quit holding back and just tell us what you really think! 

🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Heck of a bogie by Sophia on the 15th. Ditto for Ally.