102*F Heat Index W/High Humidity

platgof

I lived in Sarasota fl, 7 years ago. Went to play golf in the middle of July with my father, and made one of the dumbest decisions in my life. I grabbed 2 red’s apple ales to sip on during the round. I got to the 12th hole and completely froze, couldn’t move at all. It took 3 day to get over and never again had a beer to sip on out on the course in Florida. 

8 minutes ago, Trouble_shooter said:

I lived in Sarasota fl, 7 years ago. Went to play golf in the middle of July with my father, and made one of the dumbest decisions in my life. I grabbed 2 red’s apple ales to sip on during the round. I got to the 12th hole and completely froze, couldn’t move at all. It took 3 day to get over and never again had a beer to sip on out on the course in Florida. 

I'm another person for whom alcohol and heat exposure is a definite no-no. The only time in recent memory I had a serious aftereffect of getting overheated, it wasn't too bad until I took about three sips of a beer with dinner. That was enough to kick it up from "I don't feel great" to "I think I'm going to pass out". 

I love me a pint after a round of golf most times but not during life-threatening summer heat and humidity, no thanks. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, Trouble_shooter said:

I am from Sarasota and went to high school there.  A beautiful place to visit, but not in the summer. My biggest problem is how bright the sand is in the summer, it can blind you at times. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 7/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, RobS said:

I play a decent amount of golf, walking, in this kind of weather, tennis as well.  Super important to be well hydrated before you even step on the course.  If you start to feel dehydrated on the course, it's really too late at that point to catch up.  Drink lots of water the day before and morning off as well as constantly while on the course.  Eat a little on the course, banana, protein bar, etc.  I'd avoid sports drinks like Gatorade.  They have a lot of sugar and can cause glucose spikes.  Stick with water and some fruit like a banana before your round and at the turn for carbs.  Bananas or similar will give you the carbs and electrolytes you need as well as potassium to help keep you from cramping.  If you're a really heavy sweater, an electrolyte supplement like Nuun mixed in with a bottle of water is also a better option than a sports drink.  Other essentials are a good bucket hat, a rain glove, full cord grips and a couple of towels.

I've heard some guys say they use the electrolyte and water solution. Personally I've never tried it.

I find Gatorade works as advertised. It replenishes the various electrolytes you've been sweating out during the round and, more importantly(?) for performance, doesn't fill you up like water will. Just as the inventor intended.

Down here in Florida, during the Winter months I fill a 40 oz. thermos with ice & water. Usually don't touch it until around the 10th tee and seldom drink the entire bottle during around - usually about half of it.

But in the Summer months I fill the thermos with a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade and ice - and finish the whole thing. Sip on it on the front 9 and drink a lot more of it starting around 10.

As mentioned, it works as advertised. I have enough energy to play the whole 18 without struggling at all.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

23 hours ago, platgof said:

I am from Sarasota and went to high school there.  A beautiful place to visit, but not in the summer. My biggest problem is how bright the sand is in the summer, it can blind you at times. 

Deff agree. It certainly will blind you at times. I lived there for 5 years, but being a machinist, had to go where the work is up in York Pennsylvania. Absolutely beautiful place, but brutal in the summer. I lived down in old Sarasota off of oak st. So practiced a ton at rolling green, and when the course didn’t soak up water like a sponge it was a beautiful bomb and gouge course, really enjoyed it. The Bobby jones course par 3 was fun because it felt like for lack of a better term working man or woman’s golf. Having bunkers made out of cement lol, and fire ants on the first hole on the over the green and to the left miss. Even so, great course. Manatee memorial was definitely my father and my favorite course down there. With some crowned greens, some water par 3 14th surrounded by trees, beautiful. But I do agree, it is deff a beautiful place to visit. Summertime though, wow, I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know though.

2 hours ago, Trouble_shooter said:

Deff agree. It certainly will blind you at times. I lived there for 5 years, but being a machinist, had to go where the work is up in York Pennsylvania. Absolutely beautiful place, but brutal in the summer. I lived down in old Sarasota off of oak st. So practiced a ton at rolling green, and when the course didn’t soak up water like a sponge it was a beautiful bomb and gouge course, really enjoyed it. The Bobby jones course par 3 was fun because it felt like for lack of a better term working man or woman’s golf. Having bunkers made out of cement lol, and fire ants on the first hole on the over the green and to the left miss. Even so, great course. Manatee memorial was definitely my father and my favorite course down there. With some crowned greens, some water par 3 14th surrounded by trees, beautiful. But I do agree, it is deff a beautiful place to visit. Summertime though, wow, I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know though.

Did you play Manatee Co golf course off of Cortez? There is another course across the street. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

I remember that course in 1969 when I was in middle school. This player threw his clubs in the small pond thinking it was not deep, but it was very deep. he offered me and my friend money if we could get them, but to no avail. We tried several times but that hole was deep and cold.

Bag is in overhaul mode

I'm in the SE Houston suburbs (gulf coast), so this is my golfing life from May-August.  Playing early helps, but there's a spot around 9am where the heat/humidity combo is particularly brutal. 8am is humid, but not hot. 10am is hot, but not humid. Between the two, the sun comes out and starts to burn off the morning dew and it feels like you're playing in a steamy bathroom. 

It's been bad enough the last couple weeks that my buddies have talked about starting at 7am so we can make the turn around 9... stop for a long breakfast break, and start the back around 10am. 

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I ended being outside all day Saturday.  Kid's swim meet in the am.  Golf at 2:00.  Outdoor concert that night.  I was dehydrated after golf.  Pounded a 32oz gatorade after golf but it was on an empty stomach.  Felt a little queezy as a result.  Got to feeling much better after getting some water and a little snack in me.  Took a cool shower between golf and concert and that helped.  I feel like washing that dried sweat off helps prevent cramps later.  May just be a mental thing but I make it a point to shower after golf.

96F with a 103F index here Thursday.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:54 AM, Mych said:

I'm in the SE Houston suburbs (gulf coast), so this is my golfing life from May-August.  Playing early helps, but there's a spot around 9am where the heat/humidity combo is particularly brutal. 8am is humid, but not hot. 10am is hot, but not humid. Between the two, the sun comes out and starts to burn off the morning dew and it feels like you're playing in a steamy bathroom. 

It's been bad enough the last couple weeks that my buddies have talked about starting at 7am so we can make the turn around 9... stop for a long breakfast break, and start the back around 10am. 

I honestly don't play much in the peak Houston summers as a result. It's just not fun. 

I'll go hit balls in the early morning, and I'll travel to cooler climates. 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, BURKMI19 said:

Really interesting to think about how much humidity can have an impact on the "real feel" of temperature just like wind chill.  Personally I love hot humid weather and getting in a good sweat.

Your obviously young. I like the mobility hot weather gives me in my swing. Balls always goes further in hot weather, prover me wrong.

Bag is in overhaul mode

I am in Central Florida and from really June till late September it just always hot and humid. Early golf is the best and I find the drink called Body Armour works better than Gatorade and tastes a lot better to me. Anything between 10 and 3 us just a death march and of course when all the tournament golf is played.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 8/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, platgof said:

Your obviously young. I like the mobility hot weather gives me in my swing. Balls always goes further in hot weather, prover me wrong.

Well I'm not "young" like I used to be LOL.  I'm in my late 30s but really active and high heat tolerance.  I feel way better from a flexibility, tempo, and game perspective when the weather is hotter.

3 hours ago, BURKMI19 said:

Well I'm not "young" like I used to be LOL.  I'm in my late 30s but really active and high heat tolerance.  I feel way better from a flexibility, tempo, and game perspective when the weather is hotter.

I admit I am much looser at high temps than cooler temps, and have more swing! Plus the ground is harder as the ball rolls more, so there are definitely advantages to warmer weather. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

39 minutes ago, platgof said:

I admit I am much looser at high temps than cooler temps, and have more swing! Plus the ground is harder as the ball rolls more, so there are definitely advantages to warmer weather. 

Where is the ground harder in warm weather ??

In South Florida the ground is wet everyday from t storms and roll is zero

1 hour ago, platgof said:

In Tennessee when the ground does dry out, that clay soil turns into a brick.  Now if you try to take a divot, that's when things get interesting.

And unless you get lucky and get under a pop up thunderstorm it has been dry up until last week.

Heat indices above 100F until Saturday around here.  Humidity not lower than 40% at any time and dep points in the upper 70's.  You'd be just as well suited to have gills as lungs.

Only 98* today, 102* tomorrow. This is NOT Portland weather.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

We are into a heat wave in western Massachusetts. Today’s heat index was 103* with a dew point of 73* and relative humidity at 59%. I played nine holes teeing off at 3:00. The golf course was empty, which is fine by me. I had my best 9-holes of the year shooting 3-under par 33 from the blue tees (3,496 yards). The ball flies a long way in this kind of weather. Our greens were super smooth with so little traffic. I needed only 12-putts. Tomorrow’s high is supposed to reach 98* with an index above 105*. I am scheduled to play 18-holes with my buddy at 10:00. At present, I am a wet noodle. I might have to rethink playing a full round tomorrow. 

16 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

We are into a heat wave in western Massachusetts. Today’s heat index was 103* with a dew point of 73* and relative humidity at 59%. I played nine holes teeing off at 3:00. The golf course was empty, which is fine by me. I had my best 9-holes of the year shooting 3-under par 33 from the blue tees (3,496 yards). The ball flies a long way in this kind of weather. Our greens were super smooth with so little traffic. I needed only 12-putts. Tomorrow’s high is supposed to reach 98* with an index above 105*. I am scheduled to play 18-holes with my buddy at 10:00. At present, I am a wet noodle. I might have to rethink playing a full round tomorrow. 

As much as I'm hating our current weather (pretty much can't play any time of day without experiencing 100-105F heat index for at least part of the round) the flight of the ball does seem to have increased another notch from what I think of a "summer distances". 

I don't hit it very far so I play an under-6,000 set of tees at at my home course. There's a couple of Par 5's that in the summer I might figure on getting just short of the green in two maybe once every 5-10 rounds. The past month I've been just short of the green at least once most rounds, been pin high a handful of times and even hit driver-5w over a green on a 420-yard hole.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like much but I normally drive it 210 and hit that 5w maybe 190 and those are really good strikes. I'd say in the middle of day in this heat and humidity drives of 225-230 and 5w shots over 200 yards are happening fairly frequently. I hit my 105-yard "A-wedge" club from 107 yesterday and flew into the rough beyond the green, well over 110 yards.

I wouldn't think it's physically possible that the ball would fly about 10% farther on day that's 93F with sky high humidity versus a "normal" summer day when it's in the high 80's and reasonable humidity. But it sure seems to be happening. 

• Like 1