Help needed to choose the next set of clubs for 10-year old girl

Hi,

Thank you guys in advance, since I have learned a lot reading posts on this wonderful junior forum in the last a few years.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on choosing the next set of clubs for my daughter. Her current info:

- Height: almost 60 inches

- Weight: 95 lb

- Driver clubhead speed: about 77 mph

- Current clubs: US Kids 57" TS3 full set with steel shaft iron

- She has played golf for a few years, and usually scores around 85 from our home course red tees (5200 yards)

Based on what I have read from this forum, the following might be options for her next set of clubs:

- Go to club champion (we are in Houston) for a full set fitting, and buy based on the fitting result;

- Buy US Kids 60" iron sets with steel shaft; fitting for driver and woods; 

- Other options?

Could you guys please let me know your suggestions?

Also, US Kids Aim 1 putters are the only putter she has used, and she is really good at it and very comfortable with it. I am leaning towards ordering the 60" Aim 1. But I am not sure if I should order some other potentially better putter. If yes, could you please suggest? Is it over kill to go to SAM PuttLab for a 10 or 11 year old?

Thanks again!

Edited by fallbrookgolf

There are sets of ladies petite clubs which are typically 1 inch shorter than regular ladies clubs.

Being an engineer and knowing all about cost cutting, I'd expect the clubs to be merely cut down and a little stiffer than regular ladies flex clubs.

Which is just fine if she is swinging in the mid 70s.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/top-flite-womens-2020-xl-12-piece-complete-set-graphite-19tflwtpfltxlblgrset/19tflwtpfltxlblgrset

This page has specifications for a petite versus regular ladies clubs.

This could be an inexpensive option if she is likely to outgrow these clubs and need men's clubs in a few years.

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

There are sets of ladies petite clubs which are typically 1 inch shorter than regular ladies clubs.

Being an engineer and knowing all about cost cutting, I'd expect the clubs to be merely cut down and a little stiffer than regular ladies flex clubs.

Which is just fine if she is swinging in the mid 70s.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/top-flite-womens-2020-xl-12-piece-complete-set-graphite-19tflwtpfltxlblgrset/19tflwtpfltxlblgrset

This page has specifications for a petite versus regular ladies clubs.

This could be an inexpensive option if she is likely to outgrow these clubs and need men's clubs in a few years.

My daughter has used this set (petite) since last July (when she was the same age with OP's daughter) and we upgraded it to Costco Callaway Edge women set this April. Her complaint on this set ( after upgrade) is that it is too heavy compared with Callaway Edge. Her coach thought she should use US Kid 60' set instead of top flite. 

Edited by machine_cat

Top Flight is one of the cheapest options available.  There are better petite sets out there.  Kids often want to "graduate" to adult clubs.  This may be more important than the fit in the long run, which is likely to be fleeting at that age.

Callaway sets often include a good putter.

There are deals to be had on the women's used market, because there isn't a lot of volume.  Unless you like the sport of shopping online for bargains or buying stuff on ebay it may not be worthwhile.

Amazon has a program for returns via Kohls to reduce the hassle of shipping stuff you decide you don't want.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Thank you for letting me know your experience and suggestions! I checked the reviews on the Top Flight set, and there are several concerns about the quality (such as clubface broken quickly after a few times). I will keep searching maybe other petite types.

She is doing well in STPGA junior tournaments in her age group. I noticed that most good players upgraded the whole bag (I will peek more next time) or at least the driver. Using US Kids TS3 driver, she used to out-drive some players regularly, but not any more after they switched driver (some uses Ping ProdiG). I know that distance is not important for her age, but psychologically it does affect some. On the other side, she putts not worse with US Kids putter than others with more expensive putters. That's the reason why I am thinking of keeping the same type of putter.

Thanks again and please keep the experience and suggestions coming. 

Edited by fallbrookgolf

Don't waste your money buying the same US Kids putter in a different size.

You can install a 1.5" shaft extension for less than $10.

Here are the tools to get the job done (extension + epoxy):

https://www.golfworks.com/shaft-extensions/c/2555/

Or...you can take the putter to a local club-builder and have the putter extended for around $15 or so.

Then...pick out her favorite grip...and she has a new putter...that she's already good with.

Edited by jj9000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jj9000 said:

Don't waste your money buying the same US Kids putter in a different size.

You can install a 1.5" shaft extension for less than $10.

Here are the tools to get the job done (extension + epoxy):

https://www.golfworks.com/shaft-extensions/c/2555/

Or...you can take the putter to a local club-builder and have the putter extended for around $15 or so.

Then...pick out her favorite grip...and she has a new putter...that she's already good with.

jj, thanks for the advice to cut the cost! 

My daughter is getting better, and seems to be interested in keep playing junior tournaments right now. Hopefully, she can play this wonderful game as long as she can, and I will support her as much as I can. Based on what I have learned from this forum, it will get more expensive with tournaments fees, travels (if she keeps getting better). Any cost saved is good!

Depending on your daughter ball striking ability a lot of girls will move into adult irons by that age, at a point its a disadvantage if you do not. I would defiantly look at getting her fit, club champion can be good but will also add a lot of extras in there as they typically add pure services (waste in my opinion), and others. Now they do good rates for juniors and you can go there find what works and shop around. You typically get charged for the fitting either way. Each one is separate from drivers to irons to putting. She at the age and size where adult makes more progression than sticking with USKG clubs. I just made the move with my 10 year old daughter this spring, there were growing pains but now her irons might be the best part of her game. 

I would not buy any box set ever. Its a waste of money to do that.

• Like 1

Take a look at the Ping Prodi G. They will restart and reweight the set when your junior grows one time as part of the original purchase price.Very good clubs as well.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

2 hours ago, fallbrookgolf said:

jj, thanks for the advice to cut the cost! 

My daughter is getting better, and seems to be interested in keep playing junior tournaments right now. Hopefully, she can play this wonderful game as long as she can, and I will support her as much as I can. Based on what I have learned from this forum, it will get more expensive with tournaments fees, travels (if she keeps getting better). Any cost saved is good!

I found this in my garage full of golf equipment.

This is the USK 60" shaft from a AIM 1 putter.

PM me your shipping address and if you want it...you can have it for the cost of shipping.

20210704_120146.jpg

2 hours ago, darter79 said:

Depending on your daughter ball striking ability a lot of girls will move into adult irons by that age, at a point its a disadvantage if you do not. I would defiantly look at getting her fit, club champion can be good but will also add a lot of extras in there as they typically add pure services (waste in my opinion), and others. Now they do good rates for juniors and you can go there find what works and shop around. You typically get charged for the fitting either way. Each one is separate from drivers to irons to putting. She at the age and size where adult makes more progression than sticking with USKG clubs. I just made the move with my 10 year old daughter this spring, there were growing pains but now her irons might be the best part of her game. 

I would not buy any box set ever. Its a waste of money to do that.

Darter, thanks for the advice!

You mentioned "club champion can be good but will also add a lot of extras in there as they typically add pure services (waste in my opinion), and others.I have never gotten fitted before. Could you please explain a little more about the "extras, pure services"? What are good criteria to choose a good fitting place? Any suggestions in Houston?

I know that PGASS is not a good place to get fitted. Somebody on this forum recommended cool clubs, but there is none in Houston. Other mentioned Ping custom fitting. Do I just find a pro who does Ping custom fitting and buy from the same pro? 

I am sorry for so many questions, and some of them might be stupid. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, fallbrookgolf said:

Darter, thanks for the advice!

You mentioned "club champion can be good but will also add a lot of extras in there as they typically add pure services (waste in my opinion), and others.I have never gotten fitted before. Could you please explain a little more about the "extras, pure services"? What are good criteria to choose a good fitting place? Any suggestions in Houston?

I know that PGASS is not a good place to get fitted. Somebody on this forum recommended cool clubs, but there is none in Houston. Other mentioned Ping custom fitting. Do I just find a pro who does Ping custom fitting and buy from the same pro? 

I am sorry for so many questions, and some of them might be stupid. Thanks again!

Club Champion is custom, 1000%. Even if the OEM you are buying from doesn't have that shaft offering they will get it for you but it could cost you. If you talk to your fitter about sticking to shafts that are free upgrades from the OEM can probably keep the cost down. Im not sure of the fitters in houston but cool clubs vs club champion same category of folks. Houston might even have local fitters who offer services. If you are willing to drive to Austin Barton Creek Fitting Studio Bobby knows his stuff and built my kids clubs. 

Talk to some of Parents she is playing with they will be able to give you places that there girls got fitted. also her coach should be able to give you some advice. My son went to adult clubs about the same time.  i did a lot of reading and found   a good combination but i would'nt risk it again. fittings are generally cheap. best of luck

If you don’t go the adult club option, Flynn Golf is a step up from US Kids in my opinion:

https://www.flynn-golf.com/

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

My 15 yo is about the same size as your daughter.  She uses all OEM clubs.

Cobra F9 - W Flex

Cobra F9 3 Wood W Flex

Callaway Epic 4H W Flex

5 Iron Cobra RDZ UST Recoil W Flex

6-PW Cobra F Max - F-MAX Superlite shaft

CBX2 - W Flex 50 - 54 - 60

Callaway Stroke Lab Woman.  33"

If she has  a decent set of women's clubs with women's flex shafts, an affordable option may be to choke down on the club for the proper lie angle.

Then buy a box of lead tape strips and adjust the swing weight for best dispersion, or tight grouping of shots.  Or a weight that just feels right in her hands.

She needs to get use to the fact that in any single facet of the game, someone will simply be better than her.

What she needs to win is to have a complete game and the ability to overcome adversity.  Being able to take a drop because it is the smart choice.  That is hard.

As an engineer, I see too much emphasis on yardage.  Not everyone has the math skills to trust the numbers.  Some are better off trusting what they see.

Baseball players don't have the time to do math, yet they make outstanding catches.  Now may be a good idea to figure out what works best for her.

Edited by ShortGolfer

• 3 weeks later...

Stick with U.S. kids irons until she is 12 or has a massive strength spurt.  I did OEM too soon and regretted it in the irons as she hit low bullets while everyone else hit nice soft ball irons into the greens.  Light driver shaft and head maybe at 11.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

14 hours ago, killer21 said:

Stick with U.S. kids irons until she is 12 or has a massive strength spurt.  I did OEM too soon and regretted it in the irons as she hit low bullets while everyone else hit nice soft ball irons into the greens.  Light driver shaft and head maybe at 11.

I agree.  But dang I saw a picture of a 10 year old at USKG World's and she is at least 5'9".

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.