2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

2021 Amundi Evian Championship (Jul 22 - 25)

Impressive win by MinJee. Β She deserves it. Β Really good toughness from Lee6 to respond with a good finish, after a gut punch on the front nine. Β 

Β 

Lots of positives from Yealimi Noh. Β Questionable layup on 18. Β Jerry was convinced that the lie was good enough to go for it.

Β 

Thitikul hit the ball well enough to shoot 62. Β Just needs to get the short putting a little more reliable. Β She is an impressive ball striker and a lot of fun to watch

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

The original is WinBee....just sayin.

Will soon enough be Winona

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //Β Β Cobra King Ltd FWYΒ @15.5Β° XCaliber FW S 43"Β //Β Β Cobra F7 FWYΒ @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5"Β //Β Β Titleist 818H1Β #4Β @20° Project XΒ Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40"Β // Titleist 818H1Β #6Β @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25"Β //Β Srixon Z565 6-PW:Β Β 6,7Β KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1,Β 8,9Β Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1,Β PWΒ Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //Β Cleveland CBX 50.11Β Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1Β //Β Β Cleveland RTX3 56.14Β bentΒ 55.13Β //Β Β Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10Β Β //Β Β TaylorMadeΒ Spider Tour Red #3 SightlineΒ 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0Β //Β Β TitleistΒ Pro V1xΒ //Β Β McGregorΒ Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Wow...what a pathetically weak field next week in Northern Ireland.

Hopefully @tonyj5Β will chime in next week to quantify how weak it is.

Β 

Happy to see Dumbo and Lucky 6 playing though they both could WD at the last moment.

Thitikul playing too.

Β 

Yealimi must be playing her 9 consecutive eventΒ to make up for her $10000 fine thatΒ Smiley Mike handed her....she must be secretly giving Whan the bird.

Β 

OK....hoping for a Dumbo, Thitikul, GIMMEE, Muni and Noh win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Wow...what a pathetically weak field next week in Northern Ireland.

Hopefully @tonyj5Β will chime in next week to quantify how weak it is.

Β 

Happy to see Dumbo and Lucky 6 playing though they both could WD at the last moment.

Thitikul playing too.

Β 

Yealimi must be playing her 9 consecutive eventΒ to make up for her $10000 fine thatΒ Smiley Mike handed her....she must be secretly giving Whan the bird.

Β 

OK....hoping for a Dumbo, Thitikul, GIMMEE, Muni and Noh win.

I'm picking Thitikul. Β She gets her card next week

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, 18majors said:

Β 

Β 

Rose is a "tiger daughter" and an "iron lady."

Β 

We'll see a fiery Rose thisΒ weekend, she'll fightΒ toΒ make up the six strokes difference withΒ Atthaya Thitikul.Β  They're both 18, and Rose hates to lose to players her age.

Β 

Β 

If this weekend was an example of a "fiery" Rose, she better not get "fiery" too often, 11 bogey's on the weekend as opposed to Atthaya's 3.Β 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

If this weekend was an example of a "fiery" Rose, she better not get "fiery" too often, 11 bogey's on the weekend as opposed to Atthaya's 3.Β 

Β 

I think she finally ran out of gas. Tough course not to have your A game.Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)Β - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Minjee is a popular player.

Β 

Lydia and her have been duking it out for years, but are good friends.Β 

Β 

Yes....but Minjee goes under the radar.

I think Minjee is an introvert and seems to avoid the limelight.

Β 

From what I've seen...I think Minjee might be closer to Sura vs. Lydia.

Β 

Does Minjee hang out with others on tour?

I don't know how it is with Professional Golf,Β but when you start to think like this below (cut and pasted from Noh's interview on Golf Channel -- see link for full report), it is hard to overcome...Β 

Β 

I speak from competitive sports in general (having played competitively until college another sport).Β  Again, my sport is nothing compared to Golf's pressures, but it is still competitive college sport...Β Β 

Β 

Put this way, if I find myself thinking that way, it means I am playing "defense" rather than "attacking" and being positive... eg sorta like begging for anything which is not going to serve ME well (at least that's my own experience)...

Β 

The good thing about this experience?Β  She's is so young she is bound to learn from this... it's almost impossible not to... the question is when is she going to have this kind of opportunity again... eg a major in the final pairing (though as Minjee and a whole slew of others who have won from behind hasΒ attested, you don't need to be in the final pairing)

Β 

Β 

I missed a lot of short putts. After I missed a few, that's when I was like, Please just go in. This feels like Portland all over again

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/yealimi-noh-draws-positives-evian-championship-close-call

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I don't know how it is with Professional Golf,Β but when you start to think like this below (cut and pasted from Noh's interview on Golf Channel -- see link for full report), it is hard to overcome...Β 

Β 

I speak from competitive sports in general (having played competitively until college another sport).Β  Again, my sport is nothing compared to Golf's pressures, but it is still competitive college sport...Β Β 

Β 

Put this way, if I find myself thinking that way, it means I am playing "defense" rather than "attacking" and being positive... eg sorta like begging for anything which is not going to serve ME well (at least that's my own experience)...

Β 

The good thing about this experience?Β  She's is so young she is bound to learn from this... it's almost impossible not to... the question is when is she going to have this kind of opportunity again... eg a major in the final pairing (though as Minjee and a whole slew of others who have won from behind hasΒ attested, you don't need to be in the final pairing)

Β 

Β 

I missed a lot of short putts. After I missed a few, that's when I was like, Please just go in. This feels like Portland all over again

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/yealimi-noh-draws-positives-evian-championship-close-call

Β 

I know she's going to beat herself up over her putting, but she really shouldn't. She wasn't the only player to struggle with the putter today. Lydia is one of the best putters on tour, and missed plenty of "makeable" putts this weekend. Tough greens with more than a little slope.Β 

Β 

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Great celebration on the 18th. Minjee is a popular player. Lydia and her have been duking it out for years, but are good friends.Β 

Β 

Actually I think Minjee and Lydia are closer than what others might think -- I'm just guessing it here based on what I know of players going onto the course dousing their best buds with champagne/water after a victory...

Β 

Su Oh and Hannah,  Matilda and Bianca, Minjee and Lydia(? - not sure about this one but it looks it)... I am sure about the first two pairs, however! ☺︎

Edited by HMHS
added the word pairs...

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

Β 

I know she's going to beat herself up over her putting, but she really shouldn't. She wasn't the only player to struggle with the putter today. Lydia is one of the best putters on tour, and missed plenty of "makeable" putts this weekend. Tough greens with more than a little slope.Β 

Β 

Yes, I personally did NOT see much else she can do... It's all mental now, based on what I saw (again, TV... armchairΒ remote caddy-ing here LOL)

Β 

If Minjee had lost, I would have blamed wormcam -- there were quite a few missed ones on the worm cam - I can even recall two right now as i type this as both were curving a ton as it approached the hole... somewhere along the 10-14 holes... i forget exactly which two holes but i know there were 2 missed by minjee, 2 definitely make-able birdies...Β 

Β 

Of course, minjee won - and with her ball striking back, a little good day on the putting green at the right tournament yielded her first major win... it's not much different from Hideki's Master's this year... gimpy putter historically, great ballstriking/scrambling, and the putting worked...Β  Β  Hideki of course benefitted from a rain delay on the Saturday afternoon to shot darts on the pins... Minjee's putting today, was, I dunno... fortuitious?Β  (I am still not confident she can make those putts again if needed to, but then, she doesn't need to until another major is in for her taking LOL)Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KBong said:

Would have been nice to get a close up of the lie.

As I said prior...no water guarding the green and ya gotta believe Noh is going for the green.

Β 

If she needed an eagle to tie there's no doubt she would have gone for it. She could still make birdie laying up. She doesn't seem to be the conservative type. I have to believe she had a poor lie. She said it was sitting down.Β 

Β 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Just now, Argonne69 said:

Β 

If she needed an eagle to tie there's no doubt she would have gone for it. She doesn't seem to be the conservative type. I have to believe she had a poor lie. She said it was sitting down.Β 

Β 

We can ask Jerry since it was Jerry who said it was a good lie, but Yealimi contradicted it on her interview haha...

Β 

AND NohΒ actually didn't play it out of the lie decently, heck, it was a layup and even that wasn't the result that their team wanted... I would tend to believe Noh here -- the ball did look buried albeit a tad, and despite Noh having some "power"

2 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

We can ask Jerry since it was Jerry who said it was a good lie, but Yealimi contradicted it on her interview haha...

Β 

AND NohΒ actually didn't play it out of the lie decently, heck, it was a layup and even that wasn't the result that their team wanted... I would tend to believe Noh here -- the ball did look buried albeit a tad, and despite Noh having some "power"

Β 

I don't recall seeing any of the ball. Usually when there is some white visible the GC booth crew will say it's a decent lie.Β 

Β 

Just now, Argonne69 said:

Β 

I don't recall seeing any of the ball. Usually when there is some white visible the GC booth crew will say it's a decent lie.Β 

Β 

Yeah, hence why I was surprised Jerry said two things: a) "that she can get it out of the rough, no problem, since she has "some power"", and b) Jerry being surprised she laid up... And usually Jerry is correct - I guess he didn't catch a good angle...Β 

Β 

When I actually saw that shot - I knew it would be a birdie at best, which meant playoff for her at best... Lee6 was the one that kept it a nail-biter...Β 

Β 

I would have laid up for sure - not sure though how the lay up ended that way however - didn't look like the intended target...

Β 

Finally, it's on replay now (I didn't VCR it) so we can always review it haha

Β 

TBH, I wasn't expecting Minjee to figure in the last day either - but since she paired with Yuka in Dow + some of my Perth friends were busily bugging/haranguing me in messenger - of course I ended up rooting for her.Β  Β (My prior posts the prior day was Lee6 through and through though even GolfDino wondered if Lee6 could close out)Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo, @Argonne69

Β 

Β 

Don't worry about Yealimi, she'll be a happy girl by tomorrow.Β  After all, $300,743 is a lot of money.

Β 

Past is past, nothing can be done about it.Β  The only cure is winning the next tournament!

Β 

Β 

You should be Yealimi's mental coach! ☺︎  

Β Β 

Β 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Β 

Jerry was out there in the fairway and walked right over and took a look at it. Β  Would be odd if he can't callΒ a decent lie at this point, butΒ you never know. Β The bottom line is that she didn't like it

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I agree. Β She does look "wishy" over putts. Β Even on one of her good birdie makes, she was giving it the "wishful body contortions".Β Β Top putters don't do that. Β You stay down and expect it to go in, even when it doesn't feel like a perfect stroke

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Jerry was out there in the fairway and walked right over and took a look at it. Β  Would be odd if he can't callΒ a decent lie at this point, butΒ you never know. Β The bottom line is that she didn't like it

Β 

Agree...Β  Reminds of commentators calling the Masters 2021 on the 16th when Xander shanked it to the water -- Commentators said he "choked", Xander said there was a wind gust...Β 

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Sounds like normal pressure and stress on a Sunday when in the hunt for a win, let alone a Major win. Some can handle the nerves and some crack. Best way to learn how to deal with it, is keep putting yourself in that position.

Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Sounds like normal pressure and stress on a Sunday when in the hunt for a win, let alone a Major win. Some can handle the nerves and some crack. Best way to learn how to deal with it, is keep putting yourself in that position.

Β 

Exactly, hence why I said nothing she can do about it anymore and she has her youth on her side... only question is when she gets to do it again (as we know nothing is given in golf, need some luck too to be in those position(s)...

18 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

My electricity went out at 10:30am and didn't return until after the playoff. Thank you Illuminating Co. NOT! Didn't record either.😑

Β 

Congrats to Minjee!

Β 

I believe there's a replay on the Golf Channel today.

Β 

• Thanks 1