Just A Reminder About How Much The Golf Ball Matters

North Butte

I was playing a solo practice round, working on various swing "issues", and hit a tee shot into a fairway bunker on a long (for me) Par 5. When I got to the bunker there were two balls, my Callaway and one with a Bridgestone logo. Just for the heck of it I went ahead and knocked both of them down the fairway with a hybrid. 

My third shot with my ball flew right over the flag to the back of the green and rolled into the rough. The Bridgestone ball I hit a big pull onto the green but miles from the hole. Chipped and two-putted for bogey with my ball then decided to try the long, double-breaking putt with the Bridgestone.

When I marked and cleaned the ball I saw two things. It was an e6 Soft (not a ball I'd normally play) and it had a gash in the side about an inch and half long. Pretty sure when they were mowing the rough that morning the mower hit the ball and knocked it into the bunker. 

So what the heck, I putted with it cut and all. Ran it a couple feet past the hole, made the par putt. Nothing to it. 

I think this a good reminder of just how important it is to play only top-quality golf balls and stick to the brand and model that we've determined suits our game. Terribly important isn't it?🤨

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Having a sense and trusting as to what my ball is going to do under diverse conditions is what matters to me.  I won't' even mess with other balls because a strange ball could cause confusion. 

My golf goal is to play my best golf, not constantly wonder if there's something better out there and chase after it.  I compare it to constantly testing all sorts of clubs, putters, looking for something that isn't going to change the score.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD 80R
  • T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200 127g
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

17 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Having a sense and trusting as to what my ball is going to do under diverse conditions is what matters to me.  I won't' even mess with other balls because a strange ball could cause confusion. 

My golf goal is to play my best golf, not constantly wonder if there's something better out there and chase after it.  I compare it to constantly testing all sorts of clubs, putters, looking for something that isn't going to change the score.

Agree. Look at my sig (I may take this to a slight extreme)…..knowing exactly how you and your equipment  perform under pressure when it matters is way more important than: 5 yards extra, slightly more forgiveness, 200rpm of extra spin etc. Because money cannot buy complete belief in what you’re using: in this already difficult game….

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I like your story, it reminds us that most of us probably don't need  the top tier stuff, for sure.

However, for me the choice of ball doesn't come down to a single shot, or even a couple of shots.

Most of us here doesn't have the strike required to tell with 100% certainty that the four (often inconsequential) feet of extra roll-out with one ball over another is wholly down to the ball and not the strike, catching a down-slope, wind fluctuations, pitch marks or whatever from observing two shots.

At least to me, ball differences mainly manifests themselves across a number of shots and situations, and over averages!

Playing a good ball, and (imho more importantly) consistently playing the same ball is about averages, predicatbility and consistency. The mental aspect of eliminating one possible variable from the game is comforting as well. 

I can put a Golden Bear Triple Ti on the green from 200 yds, and I can put a Bridgestone Tour B XS on the green from 200 yds. But I know which ball I'd rather play for a whole season.

Even a blind hen.. and all that 🙂

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 minute ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

I like your story, it reminds us that most of us probably don't need  the top tier stuff, for sure.

However, for me the choice of ball doesn't come down to a single shot, or even a couple of shots.

Most of us here doesn't have the strike required to tell with 100% certainty that the four (often inconsequential) feet of extra roll-out with one ball over another is wholly down to the ball and not the strike, catching a down-slope, wind fluctuations, pitch marks or whatever from observing two shots.

At least to me, ball differences mainly manifests themselves across a number of shots and situations, and over averages!

Playing a good ball, and (imho more importantly) consistently playing the same ball is about averages, predicatbility and consistency. The mental aspect of eliminating one possible variable from the game is comforting as well. 

I can put a Golden Bear Triple Ti on the green from 200 yds, and I can put a Bridgestone Tour B XS on the green from 200 yds. But I know which ball I'd rather play for a whole season.

Even a blind hen.. and all that 🙂

To be honest, my approach shot with that Bridgestone ball was definitely in the blind hen/blind hog category. It's was the proverbial "duff hook" that was lucky to hit in the front fringe and bounce onto the green, albeit 50+ feet from the hole.

The shot with the "real" ball OTOH was a beauty. A high draw that flew right over the flagstick. Unfortunately it was a beautiful high draw with my 110-yard club on a 104-yard shot and there was a helping breeze. Sort of an anti-blind-hen shot...

• Haha 1

I play the ball that to me, feels the best off my irons and putter. I can immediately tell where on the face I struck the ball.  For me that’s currently TP5x or ChromeSoft x.

neither of these balls should work for me as I’m sub 100 mph, I do however, transition into the ball hard.

Edited by Duffer222

6 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Differences in balls from a performance standpoint is one of the biggest misconceptions in all of golf.  Yeah, soft balls feel...softer.  And if you play on the PGA Tour what ball you use can matter.  But for Joe Q Public, it don't mean squat, and that includes single digit cappers.

Hit a solid shot and the ball will fly where you expect. 

I’m a 12 index and and golf balls do make a difference.  Notable differences in the trajectory and distance in the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x.  Pro V1x goes too high on my short irons and makes distance control more difficult.  Pro V1 doesn’t carry as far with driver for me.  

I’m sure other brands have differences of their own, but I have not spent as much time with Callaway,Taylormade, Bridgestone, etc.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Oh, and Pro V whatever balls are the worst value in all of golf unless you shoot par golf or better.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

3 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Grab yourself some cheap a** Srixon soft whatever ball sometime and put it in play.  If you're honest with yourself I seriously doubt it will affect your score even one shot over several rounds.  I know it doesn't affect mine and my handicap is lower than yours...and my putting sucks.

Can’t use a cheap ball because I cannot stop them downwind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Bottom line up front, the ball is the least of your worries.

The golf ball matters. The equipment matters. No one refutes these. What matters most and correlates to a fun / good round is your swing and a low end / high end ball won't fix that. 

We all have our preferences on golf balls. Stick to yours. Whether that means spending $50+ on a limited edition box ProV1, or Noodles, or refurbed balls, or used / X out balls. Next time you play, ask your playing partner what ball they're using and why. I think you'll be surprised on the answer depending on their handicap level.

It's true, a WRXer is a bit more fanatical than the average duffer but, you can always pick other peoples brains. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kwcsports said:

I've been as low as a 3, now I'm an 11 after an injury. I've used ProV's and all the expensive balls over the years. My best rounds have been with a Noodle. Couple of 73's, handful of 75's all with a Noodle.

Noodle = Soft and Long.😍

I'm no gods gift to ball strikers but I don't have any real issue stopping a Supersoft (or similar) if I strike it well.  My misses are 10x more bad than and any difference between balls.  

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 2

For many years, despite my polite requests to not do it, I would usually be gifted golf balls at either Christmas or Father’s Day. My wife would have my boys pick them out. I’ve gotten everything from pro v’s to pinnacle to even once a dozen of Dunlap Loco’ because my 6 year old thought it was funny to say Loco. My results are always good with good swings and bad when I make bad swings. It’s me and definitely not what ball I’m hitting.

• Like 3

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I believe this hit home for me when we played a format of play in one of our group fun tournaments called the pink ball. The group plays the round in a best ball format but one player plays the pink ball for a specified hole. Well I found myself playing so well with this pink ball called the flying lady that it just made sense. You can probably play any ball and it would not make two cents to making you a better player. All in all. What hit home was that you find a ball no matter what price point that gets you from point A to point B. Only time you really should play expensive golf balls for your level is if someone decides to gift you dozen on your birthday or Christmas. 😀 Other than that, play what works. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

For a second I thought I was on Reddit golf. 

Edited by EastTNGolfer
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

5 hours ago, llewol007 said:

I believe this hit home for me when we played a format of play in one of our group fun tournaments called the pink ball. The group plays the round in a best ball format but one player plays the pink ball for a specified hole. Well I found myself playing so well with this pink ball called the flying lady that it just made sense. You can probably play any ball and it would not make two cents to making you a better player. All in all. What hit home was that you find a ball no matter what price point that gets you from point A to point B. Only time you really should play expensive golf balls for your level is if someone decides to gift you dozen on your birthday or Christmas. 😀 Other than that, play what works. 

I'm not really sure that anyone should be told when to use what type of ball.  Surely the value is in the eye of the user.  If I can afford to use $10.00 golf balls and they improve my enjoyment of the game, then why not use them.  If someone else can only afford X outs, then use X outs??  Seems pretty simple to me...driving an Audi does not improve my driving, but I like it, so I do it.  Use whatever ball you like, if you think it makes a difference, who cares what others think!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Pearl said:

Two significant developments in the golf ball market over the years:

1.  The availability of tour balls at an affordable price via used ball sites and DTC companies. 

&

2.  How good the bottom end of the golf ball market has become in terms of quality and playability.

Yep. For under 25 bucks a dozen you can buy a ball superior to anything on the market at any price 25 years ago. And for $15 a dozen you can get balls far, far, far better than what was available at that price point back then. 

Even the very top priced balls at $50 a dozen are much cheaper in inflation-adjusted dollars than Balata balls ever were,And that’s before tou factor in being able to play a full round with one without it getting lumpy!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheNug said:

Seems pretty simple to me...driving an Audi does not improve my driving, but I like it, so I do it.  Use whatever ball you like, if you think it makes a difference, who cares what others think!  

I just love a good car analogy. I'm definitely stealing that one!

I wholeheartedly agree - it's all about enjoyment. I'm personally always on the hunt for the soft feeling, so I play a soft feeling/sounding urethane ball because I love the way it feels and sounds. Simple as that.

As a secondary - I can't stand balls that "jumps off" the putter face.  For some reason they throw me off my game entirely.

I kind of agree that for most of us which ball we play isn't too significant in terms of performance (within reason!) We can adapt to more or less roll-out or descent angle, it's fine. But I genuinely believe you only have to be a moderately good golfer to benefit from consistently playing the same ball make and model... or obviously the same actual ball too 🙂

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

I've got no issue with someone playing whatever ball they prefer.  It just strikes me as delusional when someone claims they "need" to play a pro level ball when they miss more greens than hit during a round.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I've got no issue with someone playing whatever ball they prefer.  It just strikes me as delusional when someone claims they "need" to play a pro level ball when they miss more greens than hit during a round.

Well obviously if you’re not good enough to get paid to play on television then you don’t “need” anything at all. I mean if you’re not good enough to get a tour card why not just go out and play with a five iron and a putter, doesn’t matter you’re going to suck anyway. Right?

Let me ask this then. Why do you spend hours and hours in your workshop fine tuning lofts, lies and other specs on your clubs when you are nowhere near good enough to shoot under par in the first place? Are you delusional in thinking that a couple degrees of lie angle or a few swingweight points matters at all?

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Let me ask this then. Why do you spend hours and hours in your workshop fine tuning lofts, lies and other specs on your clubs when you are nowhere near good enough to shoot under par in the first place? Are you delusional in thinking that a couple degrees of lie angle or a few swingweight points matters at all?

I do it because I enjoy it.  Any other questions?  

11 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I do it because I enjoy it.  Any other questions?  

No that is exactly what I thought. So the next question…

Do people show up in your threads on the tech forum to point out how useless and a waste of time all your efforts are? 

Not sure what it is about golf ball discussion that turns you so snarky and unpleasant.