New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

1 hour ago, slord said:

Great responses to the GW. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong. What are the chances it would take less than 8 weeks for a single club order? 

I would say not good. Have had a 225 4iron on order to try for like 10 weeks 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, slord said:

Great responses to the GW. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong. What are the chances it would take less than 8 weeks for a single club order? 

Dunno Mizuno's current 223 inventory or build status, but you can check in with an authorized independent Mizuno component dealer.  Mizuno may be able to supply head only a little quicker so you can get shafted up to your own specs.

That's what I did.  mcgolf.net  Waverly, Ohio Jim McCleery   His wife Robin will answer any question by email or over the phone.  Good people.  Jim does superb builds.

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

T_Golf_23 - An excellent review of all 3, thank you. I like many have been wondering whether the 223 or 225 would suit me better having based my choice only on a few 7 iron hits with both. Really, there is little in it, most of us would be happy with either set. I guess I'll just continue to wait it out... 9 225 irons and 3 SM9 wedges on order, hopefully they'll arrive before Christmas.

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

3 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I now have multiple rounds with the 225, 223 and 221. I also play callaway X-forged CB21. When I was fitted, it was a choice between the XFCB and the JPX21 forged, but I could not stand the top line and blade length of the JPX line. 

I think Mizuno knocked it out of the park with the line up. Just crushed it. Any of these clubs are playable for me and none of them leave you wanting. Even on the full set of 225, I never said … oh I wish they could do this or that. Or they don’t feel good…. I am nit picking because it is such a close call between these clubs. 

I have the PX IO 6.0 shafts on the XFCB and the MP225. Modus 115 stiff shafts in the 223 and 221. Lamkin ST+2 STD grips. I have verified all specs to be accurate. SW within half point of spec 

I play a ProV1 ball. Driver swing speed is between 105-110. 7 iron SS around 90. My AoA is about -1. I tend to be a slight bit outside to in. I can tend to have an aggressive transition. I am standard length. All lofts and lies are standard.

first let me just comment on the shafts - both of these are very similar, actually, the modus feels better balanced and a little smoother than than the PX, especially on short game touch and go shots. 

both are great shafts and if one shaft is holding up your order, I would not hesitate to try these interchangeably. 

the players CB category is such a tightly packed category. Performance is so close on many different irons. I actually have a thread going to compare some others here…. I am convinced this is the category of iron I belong in - right amount of feel, control and forgiveness. Have a thread going to look at others on this space 

Let me get this out of the way up front - I see zero reason to blend the 223 with either 221 or 225. Only exception maybe the 225 4 iron….. but not necessary. Mizuno has made a very good stand alone flow set. 

i am a big proponent of blending 221 and 225 though. 

For reference, this is important - I am struggling a lot with the 4 & 5 iron and sometimes even the 6 iron on the 221, but the 5 & 6 iron on the 223 are easily some of my best clubs of the set. I am hitting more GIR from 160yds plus then I have with any other iron set.

I think a big reason is that they hold the greens. There probably isn’t much more than 5-10ft from pitch mark location to ending ball location on some of those long approach shots. My apex tends to be around 100ft with most irons, so good balance of landing angle and spin. 

The 225 long irons are HOT. You can feel them flying off the face - not GI hot, but hot. Although, i have not had a flier in close to 10 rounds with the 225…… so don’t worry about those and I used to airmail green all day long with my old GI irons.  Big reason I am switching clubs this year.  The whole MP line has my miss as short …. Which is perfectly fine with me. Thin shots actually retain a lot distance, especially on the 225. 

The 223 have a more solid feel in the long irons, but you can feel the help in there. The level of forgiveness between these and the 221 is exponential. This becomes less as you move into the shorter irons. 

Struck in the middle, both the long and short irons feel typical mizuno soft. Feedback is still good on long irons, despite the cavity, but off center hits sound a little clicky. I tend to miss heel side. I could care less about the sound considering the performance retention… this is what I look for in a long iron. 

I have had no gapping issues between the 8 iron and 7 iron. On mishits, the 7 has more performance retention than the 8. That is the biggest difference between the two. 

if you hit them both center and flush, feel difference is minimal. Catch the fully forged 8I thin and your hands are going to feel it. Drop off in performance is more noticeable here as well. 

Control is appreciably better. I hit knock down shots with the set G through 8 iron and being fully forged, they handle these great. You can also make these go high too…. Workability and feel leaves nothing to be desired in these irons. 

there is little difference in feel or softness between the 221 and 223 forged short irons. They are essentially the same thing. This is why I say there is no reason to go 221 short irons or blend the 223 set. 

they did a good job of making the short irons more compact. My XFCB didn’t do this and it looks weird. Performance is good, but it looks off…. The problem with getting fit while only seeing the 7 iron..

in fact, I believe that you may pick up a little forgiveness on the 223 short irons as the head is a tiny bit bigger vs the 221, but there seems to be a slight bit of perimeter weighting to help on off center strikes a little. So - same workability and feel as the 221 - with added forgiveness….

i posted profile pictures a few pages back in the 221-223-225 line up for reference - you can see the 6i, 8I, and P side by side. I think it’s page 66. 

the sole on the 223 is wider then the 221 and the 225, but the beveled back edge helps it play much more narrow than it looks. I don’t get along well with wide sole clubs and this has not been an issue. They did a good job with this. 

Overall, great irons, I think these will be my gamers this year. Used to think the 225/221 combo set was it, but these have been playing so well. 

I agree with mizuno, there is a lot in this club that you always wanted, but never really thought to ask for. 

Still need to give my XFCBs one last chance at redemption and then have a set of New Level PF2 irons I will give a go. ZX7 also have my curiosity. I love this category of iron. 

The mizuno pro line has set the bar very high. 

Great review thanks, although I'd like to add my 2 cents on blending 221/223 as that is what I've done. I find my yardage gaps between my 6, 7, 8, 9 & PW to be good with my current 965 blades, but the gaps close for 4 and 5 to my 6 iron (gap between 4 and 5 isn't big either). What I noticed in my fitting was the 7 iron of the 223 was easily 10 yards longer in carry, which I didn't want as it gives me a headache with my shorter irons and ultimately wedges, but felt a little extra forgiveness and carry in the long irons would be perfect, so have gone 223 in my 4 and 5 irons.

For me it was the fact the 7 iron was too hot that made me decide to blend rather than go full set of 223, they did feel incredible though!

Now just have to wait for them to turn up..........but, ordered them with KBS $ tapers so could now be waiting a while!!!

Taylormade Qi10 9* Accra TZ Five 50 M5

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* Accra TZ Six 70 M5

Ping G430 19* Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9X Tipped 0.5"/Srixon ZU85 2 iron Ventus HB Blue 10X

Cobra King CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 120

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50/12F, 54/12D & 58/12D KBS 610 wedge 120

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 w Stability Tour/Bettinardi 2022 BB1 Spring Classic Limited Edition w Stability Tour M Edition

Current Handicap Index: -0.6

14 hours ago, UKGolfer79 said:

T_Golf_23 - An excellent review of all 3, thank you. I like many have been wondering whether the 223 or 225 would suit me better having based my choice only on a few 7 iron hits with both. Really, there is little in it, most of us would be happy with either set. I guess I'll just continue to wait it out... 9 225 irons and 3 SM9 wedges on order, hopefully they'll arrive before Christmas.

Really a great comprehensive review by @T_Golf_23 and I agree with the thinking. Tremendous lineup. I did not blend the 225s with the 221 — could always do it later — because I liked the flow of the 225 set and wanted to just play the set as designed and not overthink it. It was more down to the 223 vs the 225 for me, but I went for the distance, mainly because I have other pure forged cavity backs if I want to play those. I also think the 225 is the best iron in the hollow players iron category. 

And my 5-G 225s with PX LZ 6.0 ssX1 are finally in. Will pick them up tomorrow. I think a lot of Mizuno orders are arriving to buyers this week!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I ended up caving and going to the closest Golf Galaxy and bought a set that was there. As most know, I was fitted in early January and my clubs are stuck in a Club Champion warehouse in Illinois. They said today I wouldn't get them until mid May so I'm cancelling that order.

The set I got fitted for was 223 4 thru PW with PX LZ 6.0.

The set I bought was 223 4 thru PW with Modus Tour 115 (stiff).

I tested the Modus Tour 115 during my fitting and they came in second so I think it'll work great.

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

28 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

I ended up caving and going to the closest Golf Galaxy and bought a set that was there. As most know, I was fitted in early January and my clubs are stuck in a Club Champion warehouse in Illinois. They said today I wouldn't get them until mid May so I'm cancelling that order.

The set I got fitted for was 223 4 thru PW with PX LZ 6.0.

The set I bought was 223 4 thru PW with Modus Tour 115 (stiff).

I tested the Modus Tour 115 during my fitting and they came in second so I think it'll work great.

Club Champion will let you cancel your order? I have 223s on order through Club Champion and I asked about cancelling my order and was told you can’t cancel custom orders.

6 minutes ago, rsyutzy said:

Club Champion will let you cancel your order? I have 223s on order through Club Champion and I asked about cancelling my order and was told you can’t cancel custom orders.

I spoke with customer service today and they couldn't, but they said my fitter/location could

I like golf. A lot.

Finally got my 225 build in, but they came 1/4 inch long so the swing weights are way too heavy as well.  SMH.  I'm going to just send them to my builder to have the build redone with custom ferrules at this point. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

1 hour ago, epyon said:

Finally got my 225 build in, but they came 1/4 inch long so the swing weights are way too heavy as well.  SMH.  I'm going to just send them to my builder to have the build redone with custom ferrules at this point. 

I believe mizuno measures oddly. I’m having my guy check my stuff before it gets to me as well. I feel like I’ll need a quarter of an inch removed from each club. Just a hunch from what I’ve read. 

I originally ordered the 225's when they were first announced ended up cancelling that order around release date due to backorder on my specs. Went for another fitting today after gaining some speed (78 to 85-89) ended up in the 223's which weren't on my radar because I didn't think I can play them. Pure butter, consistency was within 4-5 yards. tried hard to try and look past them due to the backorder issues I've read about but too good to pass up. Placed my order 4-pw PX 6.0 with the blue ferrules and sent a prayer that these arrive in the 6–8-week timeframe people are being quoted currently lol 

Just now, Looper34 said:

Frustrating. Currently at a month overdue for my 4-PW Pro 225 order with no status update from CC.

Although the actual fitting was great, I won't use them again.

Not sure if you saw my post, but I said this exact thing.

The CC HQ in Illinois is where your clubs are, I am almost certain. They are claiming that they are relocating the build shop so they arent opening any boxes for building/spec check until 4/19. I am in the process of cancelling my order with them.

I like golf. A lot.

1 hour ago, Twists said:

How is the gapping of the 225, given that they have an entire club more than the 921 Hot Metal Pro?

I cant speak directly, but @ABOsborn20 got his set last week and he has to get used to the 5* gap between some of the short irons. 15 yards between clubs is a lot more than most are used to.

I like golf. A lot.

8 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

I cant speak directly, but @ABOsborn20 got his set last week and he has to get used to the 5* gap between some of the short irons. 15 yards between clubs is a lot more than most are used to.

My 225s just arrived. Taking them to the course on Friday. One thing I will be looking at is gapping and I can file a report. Hit the 5,7, P, G (really like the look of the set gap wedge) at the range last night and these irons have a lot of power. On center strikes a lot of irons will be the same but I like to use impact tape in certain range sessions because it never lies. Had some family stuff arise and I hadn’t hit balls in a while. Usually that means my impact will wander a bit more than usual and after I get a few rounds in, it tightens up.

Well, the tape showed impact was indeed moving around a bit, but I was getting very similar results anyway. That’s the strength of these irons — the area you can wander and still get a solid shot is a little larger than other heads. it isn’t a cure-all but it is noticeable. If you’re interested in these it is to improve the results on your worst shots. Best will be the same as best. 

Hopefully the gapping won’t be an issue but if so I don’t mind adjusting lofts to get them squared away. The 225s are very, very easy to launch. I like the feel of them. They take off but they’re not loud or harsh. Don’t feel mushy to me, I’d say the pitching wedge and gap wedge feel like any forged iron. I’d describe the 5 iron feel as zip-a-dee-doo-dah. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

My 225s just arrived. Taking them to the course on Friday. One thing I will be looking at is gapping and I can file a report. Hit the 5,7, P, G (really like the look of the set gap wedge) at the range last night and these irons have a lot of power. On center strikes a lot of irons will be the same but I like to use impact tape in certain range sessions because it never lies. Had some family stuff arise and I hadn’t hit balls in a while. Usually that means my impact will wander a bit more than usual and after I get a few rounds in, it tightens up.

Well, the tape showed impact was indeed moving around a bit, but I was getting very similar results anyway. That’s the strength of these irons — the area you can wander and still get a solid shot is a little larger than other heads. it isn’t a cure-all but it is noticeable. If you’re interested in these it is to improve the results on your worst shots. Best will be the same as best. 

Hopefully the gapping won’t be an issue but if so I don’t mind adjusting lofts to get them squared away. The 225s are very, very easy to launch. I like the feel of them. They take off but they’re not loud or harsh. Don’t feel mushy to me, I’d say the pitching wedge and gap wedge feel like any forged iron. I’d describe the 5 iron feel as zip-a-dee-doo-dah. 

What shafts did you go with? 

4 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

What shafts did you go with? 

Fitting was Project X LZ 6.0 (120g), soft-stepped once. Nice feeling shaft. I’ve played it in a few heads and it’s the same with these.

What a buzzkill.  I would order up a set of 221/223 but what's the point.   

Titleist TSR2 10* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2 18* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

16 hours ago, Jigga said:

I've had my 225s on the range the last 2 days. Anyone think they feel almost too soft? They feel sorta mushy to me. Maybe it's the shaft ($-taper lite)? I don't remember them feeling that way when I was fitted.

You're the second poster I have seen with the same impression of the 225s. I have the opposite sensation. Mine feel incredibly hot and springy. I'm playing them with PX 6.0 and I'm coming from MP-20 blades.

Edited by uglande

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

59 minutes ago, JStang said:

Still no 223's for me. Ordered on 1/26. I'm having my guy make a call today to see what's going on. 

I was told my set is shipping from Mizuno today. Now I will probably go out and shoot -2 in my 9 hole game tonight with the Srixon's just to make things difficult. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

On 4/11/2022 at 3:51 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

I now have multiple rounds with the 225, 223 and 221. I also play callaway X-forged CB21. When I was fitted, it was a choice between the XFCB and the JPX21 forged, but I could not stand the top line and blade length of the JPX line. 

I think Mizuno knocked it out of the park with the line up. Just crushed it. Any of these clubs are playable for me and none of them leave you wanting. Even on the full set of 225, I never said … oh I wish they could do this or that. Or they don’t feel good…. I am nit picking because it is such a close call between these clubs. 

I have the PX IO 6.0 shafts on the XFCB and the MP225. Modus 115 stiff shafts in the 223 and 221. Lamkin ST+2 STD grips. I have verified all specs to be accurate. SW within half point of spec 

I play a ProV1 ball. Driver swing speed is between 105-110. 7 iron SS around 90. My AoA is about -1. I tend to be a slight bit outside to in. I can tend to have an aggressive transition. I am standard length. All lofts and lies are standard.

first let me just comment on the shafts - both of these are very similar, actually, the modus feels better balanced and a little smoother than than the PX, especially on short game touch and go shots. 

both are great shafts and if one shaft is holding up your order, I would not hesitate to try these interchangeably. 

the players CB category is such a tightly packed category. Performance is so close on many different irons. I actually have a thread going to compare some others here…. I am convinced this is the category of iron I belong in - right amount of feel, control and forgiveness. Have a thread going to look at others on this space 

Let me get this out of the way up front - I see zero reason to blend the 223 with either 221 or 225. Only exception maybe the 225 4 iron….. but not necessary. Mizuno has made a very good stand alone flow set. 

i am a big proponent of blending 221 and 225 though. 

For reference, this is important - I am struggling a lot with the 4 & 5 iron and sometimes even the 6 iron on the 221, but the 5 & 6 iron on the 223 are easily some of my best clubs of the set. I am hitting more GIR from 160yds plus then I have with any other iron set.

I think a big reason is that they hold the greens. There probably isn’t much more than 5-10ft from pitch mark location to ending ball location on some of those long approach shots. My apex tends to be around 100ft with most irons, so good balance of landing angle and spin. 

The 225 long irons are HOT. You can feel them flying off the face - not GI hot, but hot. Although, i have not had a flier in close to 10 rounds with the 225…… so don’t worry about those and I used to airmail green all day long with my old GI irons.  Big reason I am switching clubs this year.  The whole MP line has my miss as short …. Which is perfectly fine with me. Thin shots actually retain a lot distance, especially on the 225. 

The 223 have a more solid feel in the long irons, but you can feel the help in there. The level of forgiveness between these and the 221 is exponential. This becomes less as you move into the shorter irons. 

Struck in the middle, both the long and short irons feel typical mizuno soft. Feedback is still good on long irons, despite the cavity, but off center hits sound a little clicky. I tend to miss heel side. I could care less about the sound considering the performance retention… this is what I look for in a long iron. 

I have had no gapping issues between the 8 iron and 7 iron. On mishits, the 7 has more performance retention than the 8. That is the biggest difference between the two. 

if you hit them both center and flush, feel difference is minimal. Catch the fully forged 8I thin and your hands are going to feel it. Drop off in performance is more noticeable here as well. 

Control is appreciably better. I hit knock down shots with the set G through 8 iron and being fully forged, they handle these great. You can also make these go high too…. Workability and feel leaves nothing to be desired in these irons. 

there is little difference in feel or softness between the 221 and 223 forged short irons. They are essentially the same thing. This is why I say there is no reason to go 221 short irons or blend the 223 set. 

they did a good job of making the short irons more compact. My XFCB didn’t do this and it looks weird. Performance is good, but it looks off…. The problem with getting fit while only seeing the 7 iron..

in fact, I believe that you may pick up a little forgiveness on the 223 short irons as the head is a tiny bit bigger vs the 221, but there seems to be a slight bit of perimeter weighting to help on off center strikes a little. So - same workability and feel as the 221 - with added forgiveness….

i posted profile pictures a few pages back in the 221-223-225 line up for reference - you can see the 6i, 8I, and P side by side. I think it’s page 66. 

the sole on the 223 is wider then the 221 and the 225, but the beveled back edge helps it play much more narrow than it looks. I don’t get along well with wide sole clubs and this has not been an issue. They did a good job with this. 

Overall, great irons, I think these will be my gamers this year. Used to think the 225/221 combo set was it, but these have been playing so well. 

I agree with mizuno, there is a lot in this club that you always wanted, but never really thought to ask for. 

Still need to give my XFCBs one last chance at redemption and then have a set of New Level PF2 irons I will give a go. ZX7 also have my curiosity. I love this category of iron. 

The mizuno pro line has set the bar very high. 

I'm a +1 handicap... Driver ss 110.  7 iron carry is 165.  

I have full set 4-pw of 221.  Been playing them for about 2 months.  Best irons Mizuno has ever made... And I've played a bunch of them since 2000.  

Personally, I hate a Modus shaft.  I love the project x LS in 6.0 for me.  

Also, I didn't like the 225 as a 4 iron because the loft was too strong.  I got better gapping and proper height using the 221 4 iron.  But that's just me and my swing.

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter