6 minutes ago, KParks said:

Beautiful clubs but horrible shade of blue! 😉

#PerfectShadeOfBlue

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

is it reasonable to compare the zx5 to the 225 and the zx7 to the 223?

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

Kinda..... I own ZX7 and the Pro 223 just came in yesterday... I'll Post after I have some time with the Pro 223

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

5 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

can u please explain this. I own the srixon 765 and hit alot of thin/on the bottom shots. Currently considering 223/225 vs the srixon zx7/zx5 and after reading your post i was wondering if the Mizuno with less bounce will cut through the turf better. I have only hit the zx5 and hit a few shots where the club just bounced off the turf and made bad contact. Any helped would be appreciated

I was thin and shallow when I ordered my 225s. Fast forward a few months, I picked up some ZX7s and steepened my swing while waiting the Mizunos to come in...the old swing was much better with the 225s but the steeper swing created solid shots with the ZX7s. I could play either, but decided the Srixons were better now that I am taking a much bigger divot. The 225s are about to be listed...too bad, because they are beautiful clubs that really are powerful and consistent.

9 hours ago, Tzoid said:

This is a quick way to get an idea what True Temper shaft to use.  Not a True fitting but it explains their shaft profiles with what you want out of your swing type. 

http://www.shaftfit.com/

Just did this for kicks and it put me in my fit shaft. I am right on the fringe of 6.0 and 6.5 flex. Pretty Cool

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, aswile said:

I was thin and shallow when I ordered my 225s. Fast forward a few months, I picked up some ZX7s and steepened my swing while waiting the Mizunos to come in...the old swing was much better with the 225s but the steeper swing created solid shots with the ZX7s. I could play either, but decided the Srixons were better now that I am taking a much bigger divot. The 225s are about to be listed...too bad, because they are beautiful clubs that really are powerful and consistent.

so with the exact same swing does the 225 cut through the grass better because of the lower bounce?

10 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

are you hitting the PX higher then the s300? I am hitting the ball too low with my s3000 and was looking for more height. How do u compare the 2 shafts?

You will definitely have a higher ball flight with the LZ over the S300 on a stock swing. You'll see more spin too.

That's not to say you can't hit a low one with the LZ. In fact, since they feel so smooth, I feel like it's easier to flight one with the LZs.

The only "problem" I see is that I think they play softer than an S300 so I'm turning the ball over more with my stock swing. Maybe I'm just not used to them yet but I'm definitely hitting a harder draw with them on a stock swing.

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

9 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

You will definitely have a higher ball flight with the LZ over the S300 on a stock swing. You'll see more spin too.

That's not to say you can't hit a low one with the LZ. In fact, since they feel so smooth, I feel like it's easier to flight one with the LZs.

The only "problem" I see is that I think they play softer than an S300 so I'm turning the ball over more with my stock swing. Maybe I'm just not used to them yet but I'm definitely hitting a harder draw with them on a stock swing.

I need higher so I hope that helps, obviously i will demo before i buy ( or maybe not)

The S300 feels a little stiff and boardy for me and flight is low. Never played project x before, so very curious about that. Did u get fitted for those

21 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

so with the exact same swing does the 225 cut through the grass better because of the lower bounce?

That is what I found when I was swinging more shallow...better contact with the 225 over the ZX7 (which was really thin and clanky feeling). Once I went steep, everything switched around and the ZX7 was very solid but the 225s were harder to hit well (fats mostly). 

6 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

can u please explain this. I own the srixon 765 and hit alot of thin/on the bottom shots. Currently considering 223/225 vs the srixon zx7/zx5 and after reading your post i was wondering if the Mizuno with less bounce will cut through the turf better. I have only hit the zx5 and hit a few shots where the club just bounced off the turf and made bad contact. Any helped would be appreciated

Well, hopefully this will help you. For me it is about what works best with my particular swing flaw. It is definitely me, not the clubs. What I have noticed is I seem to jive better with the Mizuno soles. From a swing standpoint, I should be fine either way because if I have proper shaft lean through impact the club should hit the ball first. Certainly that’s my goal. And I am a solid iron player. But I don’t swing well every time. 

On my best swings I rotate well and any club works. Srixons feel as pure as any iron. On my worst swings here is what tends to happen: Impatience to “hit”’ the ball leads to poor pressure shifts and sequencing. I don’t wind up and don’t get proper depth with my right hip going back, that leads to body rotation stall, and that means I early extend and it’s an all arms swing as I get steep coming down — my hips are square to the ball at impact (or barely open) when they should be much more rotated to the target. I end up flipping a bit to save the shot. It might seem a higher bounce iron would be good in that case, but I find If I catch them a groove or two low with Srixons I do not get as good a result as I do with the Mizunos. It seems to cover up my thin miss better. I had some Hot Metal Pros and I couldn’t believe how much more zip I had on the ball on thin hits, not as clunky as that might feel with other irons. 

I watched a TXG vid and Ian Fraser was fitting a guy who “hangs back” and was hitting a low bounce, thin soled New Level 902 better than wider soled more forgiving clubs. Ian noted that some players whose flaw is they sometimes flip at impact often find they are better with a thinner soled iron. I have experienced that again and again. So the Mizuno with its flatter cambered sole seems easier for me than the v-sole. It seems to sit a little lower at address too. I always worried low bounce irons might dig but that is not how I react to them. They seem faster through the turf. I remember when I first hit New Levels I didn’t even know the specs. I hit them so well and when I looked them up and saw they have very little bounce, I wasn’t surprised. The 225s also are great on thin hits, as good as the 921 HMPs. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

34 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

Whenever my sticks get here can’t wait to see how the LZ performs. My “stock” swing usually produces a baby fade. Hopefully I could have some insight soon. 

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Well, hopefully this will help you. For me it is about what works best with my particular swing flaw. It is definitely me, not the clubs. What I have noticed is I seem to jive better with the Mizuno soles. From a swing standpoint, I should be fine either way because if I have proper shaft lean through impact the club should hit the ball first. Certainly that’s my goal. And I am a solid iron player. But I don’t swing well every time. 

On my best swings I rotate well and any club works. Srixons feel as pure as any iron. On my worst swings here is what tends to happen: Impatience to “hit”’ the ball leads to poor pressure shifts and sequencing. I don’t wind up and don’t get proper depth with my right hip going back, that leads to body rotation stall, and that means I early extend and it’s an all arms swing as I get steep coming down — my hips are square to the ball at impact (or barely open) when they should be much more rotated to the target. I end up flipping a bit to save the shot. It might seem a higher bounce iron would be good in that case, but I find If I catch them a groove or two low with Srixons I do not get as good a result as I do with the Mizunos. It seems to cover up my thin miss better. I had some Hot Metal Pros and I couldn’t believe how much more zip I had on the ball on thin hits, not as clunky as that might feel with other irons. 

I watched a TXG vid and Ian Fraser was fitting a guy who “hangs back” and was hitting a low bounce, thin soled New Level 902 better than wider soled more forgiving clubs. Ian noted that some players whose flaw is they sometimes flip at impact often find they are better with a thinner soled iron. I have experienced that again and again. So the Mizuno with its flatter cambered sole seems easier for me than the v-sole. It seems to sit a little lower at address too. I always worried low bounce irons might dig but that is not how I react to them. They seem faster through the turf. I remember when I first hit New Levels I didn’t even know the specs. I hit them so well and when I looked them up and saw they have very little bounce, I wasn’t surprised. The 225s also are great on thin hits, as good as the 921 HMPs. 

this is great information and very helpful, so much so that I copied and pasted into my notes. We seem to have a similar problem and cannot blame the club one bit, but hoping there is some help in a club while I work out my swing flaws.

It seems as though with my problem, the low bounce option could be helpful on low and thin strikes. I had no idea Mizuno had low bounce irons and Srixon irons were higher bounce. I use low bounce in my wedges and hit them great. The zx5 definitely dug and stuck in the ground way too much for me when i was attempting to come in steeper then normal. I will try out the Mizuno 225 this weekend and report back, having this info will definitely help my search for new irons. Thanks for taking the time to post

Don’t tell anyone what I posted in another thread. Anyone compare 225’s vs PXG GEN3 or Gen4 0311P’s? 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

9 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

I need higher so I hope that helps, obviously i will demo before i buy ( or maybe not)

The S300 feels a little stiff and boardy for me and flight is low. Never played project x before, so very curious about that. Did u get fitted for those

I did get fitted, yes

I like golf. A lot.

2 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

I did get fitted, yes

how do u like the project x shafts

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

how do u like the project x shafts

So far, I am not hitting them well to be honest. Just an adjustment period, since I have played S300 my whole life.

They are smooth, very easy to swing and I feel like I get a ton of pop without having to go after the ball. As I said a few posts back, it flies higher than an S300 (thats pretty obvious) but I have no issues flighting one when I need to.

When I got fitted, the LZs were the winner by a pretty good margin. The Modus Tour 115 was up there too and I had a set of those in 223s for about 2 weeks and hit them fantastic. I just need some time to settle in with the PX LZs.

• Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

33 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

So far, I am not hitting them well to be honest. Just an adjustment period, since I have played S300 my whole life.

They are smooth, very easy to swing and I feel like I get a ton of pop without having to go after the ball. As I said a few posts back, it flies higher than an S300 (thats pretty obvious) but I have no issues flighting one when I need to.

When I got fitted, the LZs were the winner by a pretty good margin. The Modus Tour 115 was up there too and I had a set of those in 223s for about 2 weeks and hit them fantastic. I just need some time to settle in with the PX LZs.

Best of luck and I hope they work out, definitely hard to make a change. I played s300 my whole life also and it feels weird to change. LZ , Modus 115, and PX io are on my list to demo. Just looking for information before my fitting. I definitely need smooth and higher launching and s300 does not do that.

22 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

I literally went from a ZX5/ZX7 Combo to a 225/223 combo. One set will stay at my club next door and the other set will go to my club out of state. So far, I would say the two are very comparable and at the end of the day, it's a total swing/feel preference. I have been gaming Srixons since the 745 days, so I'm more comfortable with them at the moment, but loving the Mizzy's so far.

• Like 1

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

8 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Best of luck and I hope they work out, definitely hard to make a change. I played s300 my whole life also and it feels weird to change. LZ , Modus 115, and PX io are on my list to demo. Just looking for information before my fitting. I definitely need smooth and higher launching and s300 does not do that.

The modus 115 and PX IO are so similar. Modus is a bit smoother and easier on the elbows. 

as far as the ZX7 and the 223 or 225, it all depends on your angle of attack. I am a -1 to -2 and I catch the zX7 thin a lot. If I put it up on a tee on a par three, I crush them. They go so far. other than that I just catch low spin screamers. 

The 223 and 225 I can hit the sweat spot with fantastic turf interaction. The 223 especially, just cut through it, but are plenty forgiving on the occasional fat miss. I think you really need to be at a -4 to -6 to benefit from the ZX7 - this is why I am selling my brand new ZX7 set (in case anyone is interested)….. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The modus 115 and PX IO are so similar. Modus is a bit smoother and easier on the elbows. 

as far as the ZX7 and the 223 or 225, it all depends on your angle of attack. I am a -1 to -2 and I catch the zX7 thin a lot. If I put it up on a tee on a par three, I crush them. They go so far. other than that I just catch low spin screamers. 

The 223 and 225 I can hit the sweat spot with fantastic turf interaction. The 223 especially, just cut through it, but are plenty forgiving on the occasional fat miss. I think you really need to be at a -4 to -6 to benefit from the ZX7 - this is why I am selling my brand new ZX7 set (in case anyone is interested)….. 

my angle of attack is exactly like yours, i cannot take another low spin screamer. Thin just makes me want to go home immediately. I tried the zx5 and felt the same way, was scared to try the zx7. I guess the bounce on the srixons is killing us. Very interested in the 225, hopefully i am good enough to try out the 223 as well. Did u find the 223 and 225 similar in forgiveness? 

23 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Don’t tell anyone what I posted in another thread. Anyone compare 225’s vs PXG GEN3 or Gen4 0311P’s? 

I bought a set of 0311P GEN 3 with Elevate Tours ,used. I always wanted some PXG's but the cost was always a consideration. Never actually seen a set live, I was kinda surprise how large they were. The soles seemed very wide. I hit them quite a bit at the range with my launch monitor (SC300i) to see the numbers. They seemed under whelming. Not bad , but I for what ever reason,I expected better.

Enter the 225's. Never had a set of Mizuno's. I hit all 3 models, 221,223 and 225.The 221's, I'm well past the best before date for these babies!

The 223 felt great but I was not a fan of the looks. The 225's ticked all the boxes. Looks ,feel and performance were spot on. I have the stock Project X IO 6.0 shafts. Would have liked the Modus 105's but did not want to wait 8 weeks. There was not much difference in performance for me but I liked the feel of the Modus. I had them bent 2* flat and 1* weak.

I have hit them at the range for several sessions and the numbers(ball speed,carry) are slightly better than the 0311's . I did get a quick 9 in at a local par 3 course with them and I was very pleased with the performance.

Now, Its not a real comparison because I didn't even play a round with the PXG's . Honestly , I just didn't like the look of them once I got them in my hands. I really like the look of the 225's and hopefully it will be a great season!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

7 minutes ago, isitour said:

I bought a set of 0311P GEN 3 with Elevate Tours ,used. I always wanted some PXG's but the cost was always a consideration. Never actually seen a set live, I was kinda surprise how large they were. The soles seemed very wide. I hit them quite a bit at the range with my launch monitor (SC300i) to see the numbers. They seemed under whelming. Not bad , but I for what ever reason,I expected better.

Enter the 225's. Never had a set of Mizuno's. I hit all 3 models, 221,223 and 225.The 221's, I'm well past the best before date for these babies!

The 223 felt great but I was not a fan of the looks. The 225's ticked all the boxes. Looks ,feel and performance were spot on. I have the stock Project X IO 6.0 shafts. Would have liked the Modus 105's but did not want to wait 8 weeks. There was not much difference in performance for me but I liked the feel of the Modus. I had them bent 2* flat and 1* weak.

I have hit them at the range for several sessions and the numbers(ball speed,carry) are slightly better than the 0311's . I did get a quick 9 in at a local par 3 course with them and I was very pleased with the performance.

Now, Its not a real comparison because I didn't even play a round with the PXG's . Honestly , I just didn't like the look of them once I got them in my hands. I really like the look of the 225's and hopefully it will be a great season!

Good stuff. Appreciate the the write up. 225’s seem like a really, really good players/players distance iron. I just cannot do demo them or…..you know what will happen. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

5 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

my angle of attack is exactly like yours, i cannot take another low spin screamer. Thin just makes me want to go home immediately. I tried the zx5 and felt the same way, was scared to try the zx7. I guess the bounce on the srixons is killing us. Very interested in the 225, hopefully i am good enough to try out the 223 as well. Did u find the 223 and 225 similar in forgiveness? 

They are just different kind of sets. I have a slight heel miss. Both of them handled it great. I have the PX IO in my 225 and the modus 115 in the 223set and the 221 set. 

the 225 set is my official back up set that I keep at my club. They are so easy to hit and versatile. Just long and straight shots all day long. They are not prone to fliers though. I know it is hard to believe, but they aren’t. Especially in the short irons. So do not worry about this. The ZX7 the other hand…… 

I really like the modus shaft in the 223 and am partial to them for that reason. I also do like the pure forged scoring irons in the 223. They handle just a bit better than the 225 scoring irons. Again- this is a personal preference thing. 

my 223s are up against the Wilson Staff CB and the New Level PF2 for top spot right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

They are just different kind of sets. I have a slight heel miss. Both of them handled it great. I have the PX IO in my 225 and the modus 115 in the 223set and the 221 set. 

the 225 set is my official back up set that I keep at my club. They are so easy to hit and versatile. Just long and straight shots all day long. They are not prone to fliers though. I know it is hard to believe, but they aren’t. Especially in the short irons. So do not worry about this. The ZX7 the other hand…… 

I really like the modus shaft in the 223 and am partial to them for that reason. I also do like the pure forged scoring irons in the 223. They handle just a bit better than the 225 scoring irons. Again- this is a personal preference thing. 

my 223s are up against the Wilson Staff CB and the New Level PF2 for top spot right now. 

u feel like the Px io and the Modus 115 perform the same? I have Modus 105 but looking for a little more weight. So include the Px Lz and those 3 shafts i need to compare. Cant wait to try out the 223/225

17 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

My miss is hitting it thin. 

I'm loving the 225s. It feels like a bad shot, but not painful in anyway.  Its very forgiving on thins as well. Except for the sound other people would barely be able to tell I thinned a shot. 

Its so sweet. I have hit so many good iron shots since I got them.

• Like 2