2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

Managed to get a like new set of 223s in my specs.  After my failed attempt with 225s and before that T200 I was skeptical these would finally manage to eject the 919 Hot Metal Pros from my bag but they did - yay!   

Positives:   Obviously looks and feel over HMP but I also think the sole design and resultant turf interaction is better for me.  Ball flight is also lower/flatter (a good thing) and spin also seems lower which is surprising.  Dispersion was better.  Bad shots seemed to be straighter if somewhat shorter.  My HMP misses were more directional than distance.

Negatives:  Well who doesn't love hitting 180+ yard 7 irons with the HMP 🙂  The 223 are probably 10 yards shorter per club for me and don't have that explosive feel that the HMP had but thats fine, just needs some getting used to.

• Like 2

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

On 5/20/2022 at 7:29 AM, 1puttTUT said:

My 223 set ends at 5 iron and I jump back and forth between a Cobra FT 3 or 4 iron, which bridges the gap between the 5 iron and my 5 wood.

Side note: I've had my 223's for almost two months now and I absolutely love them. I've never had so much confidence from 175-200. I did have a distance issue with the PW and GW, but I had the lofts checked and they were both 1° weak, so I had them bent and it seems to have helped. 

*update - I purchased the Srixon zx utility 3 iron last week and it has been working out great. It looks to be around a 230 club so it's bridging my 210 5 iron and 250 5 wood nicely. 

Alright these are still on my mind. Thinking combo set. I know i want 221 short irons but on the fence between 223 and 225 long and mid irons. Ive hit both, but it was demo 7 irons. The 223 was no surprises, exactly what i thought it would be. The 225 shocked me a bit though, mainly the feel. It felt great. The 225 also pleases my eye a little better aesthetically especially for a combo set. Im a little worried about the 225 long irons though. The blade lengths according to the site get pretty big and im usually hate a big wide chunky sole on a long iron. I would also be bending them weak which would also add some bounce which I dont love either. Has anyone combo'd up and what have you found in testing and on the course? Scratch golfer here, just for reference. 

Edited by Red4282

12 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Alright these are still on my mind. Thinking combo set. I know i want 221 short irons but on the fence between 223 and 225 long and mid irons. Ive hit both, but it was demo 7 irons. The 223 was no surprises, exactly what i thought it would be. The 225 shocked me a bit though, mainly the feel. It felt great. The 225 also pleases my eye a little better aesthetically especially for a combo set. Im a little worried about the 225 long irons though. The blade lengths according to the site get pretty big and im usually hate a big wide chunky sole on a long iron. I would also be bending them weak which would also add some bounce which I dont love either. Has anyone combo'd up and what have you found in testing and on the course? Scratch golfer here, just for reference. 

I've ordered a combo of 2-5 225 and 6-9 221. I've had the equivalent combo in the old MP20 HMB and MP20 MB. I think it works as a combo already quite well with the MP20s, and considering how the 225s are slimmed down, I'd say it should work even better.

In my case, part of the split decision has to do with the use of the various irons. 2-5 are basically just for tee shots and long tee approaches, so mainly full swings. 6-9 are a mix of full swings and half swings, so the smaller blade size and thinner sole is nice for more control for approach shots where I want more control over distances.

As I said, works well in the MP20s, although I would like them all a bit smaller and the 5 iron to 6 iron to be less of a jump.

My loft increments are all 4 degrees, starting at 14 with the 2 iron. So I'm not getting excessive bounce with any club.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

Idk why people are trying to combo 221's and 225's when the 223's were designed to be the best of both worlds 🤷‍♂️

Smaller bladelength,thinner topline and less offset in the short irons is my main reason for a combo. If i could i would be just straight 221s all across but unfortunately i do need a little help once i get to mid and long irons. In actuality, i marry all three. 221 3 iron as a driving iron and then 4-7 223s, 8-pw 221 is what Im thinking. 

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Smaller bladelength,thinner topline and less offset in the short irons is my main reason for a combo. If i could i would be just straight 221s all across but unfortunately i do need a little help once i get to mid and long irons. In actuality, i marry all three. 221 3 iron as a driving iron and then 4-7 223s, 8-pw 221 is what Im thinking. 

I can see all three making sense, assuming you meant 225 for the 3 iron.

But honestly unless you really hate the look of the 223 8-PW, the construction isn't that much different than the 221.

39 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

I can see all three making sense, assuming you meant 225 for the 3 iron.

But honestly unless you really hate the look of the 223 8-PW, the construction isn't that much different than the 221.

Yep, thats what i meant. I dont hate the look of the 223 8-pw but i prefer the 221. Also the 221 will give a lower launch too, forgot that part. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

Idk why people are trying to combo 221's and 225's when the 223's were designed to be the best of both worlds 🤷‍♂️

I would say the 4 through 7 iron in the 223 are only marginally less forgiving than the 225.  I have found my 223’s to be as forgiving as my old 921F’s.  

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I hit the 223 and 225 yesterday in a sim, with those rock hard Titleist practice balls they give you.

The 223 was very playable and felt great. However, the 225 were spectacular. They look great, were super stable and with some added launch and forgiveness which I definitely benefit from. The feel was soft yet really solid. Ball speed and carry were up vs the 223 though that's partly down to loft.

I tried them with Modus 105, DG 105 and the PX IO. The PX were by far the best for me in terms of distance and dispersion, even if they didn't feel quite as nice as the Nippons.

I could definitely see myself playing a full set of these. I'm looking for high, stable and straight rather than workability and the 225 deliver exactly that.

Edited by MMB1500

On 5/28/2022 at 9:11 PM, 1puttTUT said:

223s are super ugly looking. 221/225 is where it's at! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

So far I am not in love with my 225s, TBH. Distance is excellent and they are forgiving, especially on low strikes, which don't feel nice but go 95% of the distance. The issue for me is turf interaction. That thick sole is a big adjustment coming from blades. Kind of regretting not going with 223s, but not giving up on the 225s quite yet.

Edited by uglande
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

On 5/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, Red4282 said:

The 225 shocked me a bit though, mainly the feel. It felt great. The 225 also pleases my eye a little better aesthetically especially for a combo set. Im a little worried about the 225 long irons though.

They really do feel amazing, especially for a hollow body iron. IMO they felt as good as the 223 (I didn't hit the 221). The copper underlay no doubt helps.

• Like 1

Played my first two rounds with the 223s w/ DG 120 S300 this past weekend. Sound, feel and turf interaction all excellent. I was a bit concerned about gapping between the 8 and 7 where the construction changes but it really wasn't any different than the 15 yards I had previously with my old set. Flighting and knock downs with the long irons also wasn't an issue at all. Forgiveness was good, especially on the low in the face strikes where I tend to miss is was also better than I expected throughout the set. 

I've also seen some comments on the looks of the 223s and imo they 100% look incredible in person. I agree that online pictures make them look a bit chunky and pretty meh, but they are beauties in the bag.  

• Like 4

So i think ive ruled out the 225s, other than using one as a driving iron. They do look and feel way better than all the other hollow players irons on the market IMO. So I also realized that Ive only hit the 7 iron in the 223. Do the short irons without the chromoly feel just as buttery as the 221s?

32 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

So i think ive ruled out the 225s, other than using one as a driving iron. They do look and feel way better than all the other hollow players irons on the market IMO. So I also realized that Ive only hit the 7 iron in the 223. Do the short irons without the chromoly feel just as buttery as the 221s?

I can't comment on the short iron feel vs the 221s, but there is a slight difference in the feel of the long and short irons in the 223s. Not that the long irons feel bad, they absolutely feel great, but you can tell they have a more spring-ey feel where the ball jumps off the face while the short irons are more buttery like you'd expect from a blade. I personally much prefer the long iron feel in the 223s compared to any of the hollow body clubs out there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BTB10 said:

I can't comment on the short iron feel vs the 221s, but there is a slight difference in the feel of the long and short irons in the 223s. Not that the long irons feel bad, they absolutely feel great, but you can tell they have a more spring-ey feel where the ball jumps off the face while the short irons are more buttery like you'd expect from a blade. I personally much prefer the long iron feel in the 223s compared to any of the hollow body clubs out there. 

Yea i knew that would be the case. When i tested it was 7 iron only and the feel was ok, not a turnoff by any means. But i hit the 221 and i thought the ball was melting onto the face, crazy good. If the 8-pw of the 223 feels like that, i may just go straight 223.

Shot a 79 at Whistling Straits this past week with my 225's.  Just a couple thinned shots (still hit the green), but overall the 225's did not let me down.  Now, if I could have avoided three putting two of the last three holes, that would have been something. lol 

• Like 3

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

Cant get the Mizuno irons out of my head !
But cant decide between the 223 or 225. Im playing to a handicap of 4-5 and got decent speed. 90-92mph 7 iron with iron game beeing decent.
I cant decide if i should go with the 223, since the lofts are better, with a 46 p-wedge, so it should in theory fit better with my wedges ( 50-54-58 ) But im also thinking i like the looks of the 225 better and want all the help i can get, but concerned with the stronger lofts of the 225
I can ofcourse order them with weaker lofts, but what are the pros/cons of doing that ? 
My flight is mid ish and a small draw

1 hour ago, Leska said:

Cant get the Mizuno irons out of my head !
But cant decide between the 223 or 225. Im playing to a handicap of 4-5 and got decent speed. 90-92mph 7 iron with iron game beeing decent.
I cant decide if i should go with the 223, since the lofts are better, with a 46 p-wedge, so it should in theory fit better with my wedges ( 50-54-58 ) But im also thinking i like the looks of the 225 better and want all the help i can get, but concerned with the stronger lofts of the 225
I can ofcourse order them with weaker lofts, but what are the pros/cons of doing that ? 
My flight is mid ish and a small draw

Weaker lofts will increase bounce and may change turf interaction considerably as the soles of the 225s are already a bit wider than non-hollow clubs.

I am in much the same boat as yourself and went with the 223s. I'm 5 weeks into my wait.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JKJKJK said:

Is it just me or does anyone hit occasional bombs(+10 yards longer) on 223 on higher lofted irons?

I've had 3 rounds on my 223 and they have been very consistent for me. Just one warning and maybe could be the cause of your hot flyers... I had all the lofts and lies checked on my 223 before I took them home and the 6,7,8 iron lofts were 1* stronger than the website specs and I had to have them adjusted. Maybe have your lofts checked?

Edited by Tenkies

5 hours ago, JKJKJK said:

Is it just me or does anyone hit occasional bombs(+10 yards longer) on 223 on higher lofted irons?

My first guess is that it's a spin issue.  You're at a point in your launch conditions where a single shot with enough of a reduction in spin gives you the same effect as a flier lie.

Obviously, just speculating.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

23 hours ago, PlayInTheRain said:

Weaker lofts will increase bounce and may change turf interaction considerably as the soles of the 225s are already a bit wider than non-hollow clubs.

I am in much the same boat as yourself and went with the 223s. I'm 5 weeks into my wait.

I have the 225s and weakened the lofts 1 * . I have no issues with turf interaction. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

Finally got to test out the 223 pretty extensively… unfortunately Its not going to work-for me. Just too jumpy. The look is good, reminds me alot of a zx7 in terms of blade size and profile. The feel is incredible. One main issue. I was getting very inconsistent numbers. When i flushed it i was getting anywhere from 124-129 ball speed with the 7 iron. Average, i would say, 20 launch, 6500 spin carry about 185 ish. When i slightly mishit, it *feels* forgiving but the numbers said otherwise. Dipping down to 118-120 bs, carry like 170. Swapped in a t100, same shaft. (2 degrees weaker), I was seeing 124 bs 180 carry, 20 launch and 5800 spin. Mishits, was staying in 120s, 120-122, and only dropping maybe 5 yards. Im a bit bummed, because this new line of mizunos look and feel so amazing but I have to have consistent performance. The 225 by the way would make a sick driving iron.

• Like 1

I am in the minority here, but the 223s were a bit odd to me.  Not a ton of forgiveness in the 8-PW (almost blade like) yet the 4-7 were hot off the face and felt solid.  There was a gap for me between 7 and 8.  I felt they could have made the 8-PW a little closer to the 4-7.  I have since went JPX 921 forged and feel like they are a better balanced set and still offer great feel and a great head shape.  Everyone else seems to love the 223 though.

Edited by IL2AZ

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

5 minutes ago, IL2AZ said:

I am in the minority here, but the 223s were a bit odd to me.  Not a ton of forginess in the 8-PW (almost blade like) yet the 4-7 were hot off the face and felt solid.  There was a gap for me between 7 and 8.  I felt they could have made the 8-PW a little closer to the 4-7.  I have since went JPX 921 forged and feel like they are a better balanced set and still offer great feel and a great head shape.  Everyone else seems to love the 223 though.

Same boat as you. I wish they'd been better for me. 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X