2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

5 minutes ago, meh said:

Are the 223 and 225 roughly the same size?

The 225s are, on paper a little bigger through out the set but visually side by side the short irons look identical to me. 

• Like 3

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Loving my 223’s. They definitely work better with my AOA than my ZX7’s did. I’m playing the best golf that I’ve played in years. 

I am still adjusting to distances as these are longer (stronger lofts) than I’m used to but no issues with holding greens whatsoever even with a 4 iron. Feel is superb, they aren’t as scary looking from address as the T100 irons that I previously owned, and they provide all of the forgiveness I could ask for in a club of this size. 

the only change I could possibly see myself making is weakening the lofts a degree but I need to get on Trackman to see if I should do that or not.

• Like 4

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Got my 223's in yesterday! I've hit close to 300 golf balls and played 1 round with them thus far. I'm extremely happy I went with these, biggest takeaways for me are:

• 8-pw perform like a blade but with a heck of a lot more forgiveness
  • 7-4 iron, love the "built in combo set" as I call it. Plenty of forgiveness and my biggest concern going into this purchase was going to be the distance gain but they're not "hot" imo. No trouble holding greens and just a couple yards longer than my previous set.  
  • Another bonus was the turf interaction, I really like how they interact 
  • Like 3

LOL at my above post to the one I'm writing now....still agree with everything above and I really do love them but, make sure to get your loft/lies checked. I haven't been swinging it great so it was hard to notice at first but I brought out my old irons today with some foot spray and old irons=center contact, new irons=on the heel for some irons, center for some, and toe for others.

Took them into golf galaxy (who told me they checked the loft/lies when the irons were shipped in and confirmed they were correct...)and they were absolutely all over the place. I ordered them 1 degree flat and my PW was nearly 4 degrees flat, 7 iron 1 degree upright, 4 iron standard. Pretty annoying but what can ya do

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kuuuch said:

LOL at my above post to the one I'm writing now....still agree with everything above and I really do love them but, make sure to get your loft/lies checked. I haven't been swinging it great so it was hard to notice at first but I brought out my old irons today with some foot spray and old irons=center contact, new irons=on the heel for some irons, center for some, and toe for others.

Took them into golf galaxy (who told me they checked the loft/lies when the irons were shipped in and confirmed they were correct...)and they were absolutely all over the place. I ordered them 1 degree flat and my PW was nearly 4 degrees flat, 7 iron 1 degree upright, 4 iron standard. Pretty annoying but what can ya do

Let us know how you're hitting them after getting them adjusted.

I've had my 225s for a week (4 range sessions) and haven't noticed anything out of line except the additional yardage. Standard L/L/L. I plan to still go get it checked out once I'm used to them so I can get my gapping adjusted.

• Like 1

I just got fit for a set of 223’s and and I’m curious if anyone is experiencing a big gap in distance between the 8 iron to the 7 iron?  

Titleist TSI3 9.5 / Ventus TR Blue 60x
Titleist TS2 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist TS2 18* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 21* / Hazrdous Smoke 6.5

Titleist T200 / T150 5-G / Modus 105S
Titleist Vokey SM8 56 / 60
Scotty 7.5 Phantom 

2 hours ago, Joev2252 said:

I just got fit for a set of 223’s and and I’m curious if anyone is experiencing a big gap in distance between the 8 iron to the 7 iron?  

Personally, I’m not. It doesn’t have the tech, but I’m finding the 8 iron is pretty capable of keeping up and maintaining a reasonable gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

On 6/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, cooperk25 said:

Let us know how you're hitting them after getting them adjusted.

I've had my 225s for a week (4 range sessions) and haven't noticed anything out of line except the additional yardage. Standard L/L/L. I plan to still go get it checked out once I'm used to them so I can get my gapping adjusted.

Finally have had them adjusted for a couple days. I really like these clubs and my swing is even in a rut right now which speaks volumes about the clubs. In addition to what I said above, one other thing I'm really liking is how easy it is to flight the lower irons. I'm not a fan of blades due to their lack of forgiveness but I love hitting a punch knuckle ball (as I call it) with shorter irons and the 223's make it really easy to do that. 

On 6/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, Joev2252 said:

Nope. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

9 hours ago, balladm said:

I got mine a few weeks after release and all of the blue icon ferrules have come loose. Anyone else having these issues?

I have the blue icon ferrules on my set. Haven’t had a issue yet but the install was sloppy. I do know that if they don’t prep the shafts under the ferrules and put some glue inside the ferrule before they install them, they will come loose. BB&F ferrules do not fit very tight. 

Anyone hitting their 225s thin?  Man the thin miss just pops up and it’s driving me crazy.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

On 6/24/2022 at 11:43 AM, Kuuuch said:

I had similar issues, was noticing my strikes were closer to the heel and was having the dreaded hosel shanks. Took them in and the lengths were off, not quite a 1/2" long but close and they lie's were anywhere from 1*-2* upright and I play 2* flat. Once I got the lengths and lie's fixed they've been money. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

I ordered a set of 225s that matched all the specs on my zx5/zx7 combo set. Only hit the 4 7 pw but I found the 225s to be great. My only negative vs my zx was the mizunos being lower bounce they would dig on me a lot more than the srixons. If I lived somewhere baked out and firm I think I would have stuck w/ the mizunos. 

• Like 1

Can anyone compare the 221 to the MP20 MB irons?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

On 7/7/2022 at 6:34 AM, TomBomb51 said:

Find it a bit interesting that someone had said on here a month or 2 ago that the 223s were popping up on the BST frequently when now it seems like the 225s are popping up A LOT more than the 223s.

Must be the GolfWRX pros are going back to blades.

Ya know what’s funny is I have been singing the highest praises for the 225s but am starting to have some issues with them. The biggest one is the main reason I didn’t like the MP20 HMB, distance control. The first several months I had these irons it was not a problem. Now that it’s hot warmer I’m hitting them too far but not consistently. My strike feels the same but I will get some shots that just seem to go forever. I hit a 180 yard 9 iron the other day! The 9 is my 155 club. This has been happening a lot. I don’t know if it’s the warmer weather or what but it is making the game more challenging for sure! The other thing is I feel like the club sometimes gets stuck in the turf. It’s been a issue that pops up once or twice a round. I know I’ve never had that feeling with my MP5s bent weak. I’m not giving up on them yet but if this set ends up on BST it will be my last attempt at a hollow design till I’m older and my SS starts to drop. 

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, Joev2252 said:

I’ve been playing the 223s for about a month now. I have a gap but mine is between the 8 and 9. I need to get the lofts check though to make sure they are in spec. I have about 20 yards different between the two (150 to 130).

with that said, I have been able to over come it for the most part though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

Ya know what’s funny is I have been singing the highest praises for the 225s but am starting to have some issues with them. The biggest one is the main reason I didn’t like the MP20 HMB, distance control. The first several months I had these irons it was not a problem. Now that it’s hot warmer I’m hitting them too far but not consistently. My strike feels the same but I will get some shots that just seem to go forever. I hit a 180 yard 9 iron the other day! The 9 is my 155 club. This has been happening a lot. I don’t know if it’s the warmer weather or what but it is making the game more challenging for sure! The other thing is I feel like the club sometimes gets stuck in the turf. It’s been a issue that pops up once or twice a round. I know I’ve never had that feeling with my MP5s bent weak. I’m not giving up on them yet but if this set ends up on BST it will be my last attempt at a hollow design till I’m older and my SS starts to drop. 

Interesting to hear this.

I have the 223s and I don't have this issue. My buddy has the 225 and he has a very similar issue. I'm not sure he'd admit it, but it's definitely a thing he is going thru. I'm reminding him of lies in the rough, trying to show him different lies cause fliers etc., but sometimes even in perfect conditions he will wollop a 9 iron 160 yards when it's really his 140 club.

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

58 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

I have the 223s and I don't have this issue. My buddy has the 225 and he has a very similar issue. I'm not sure he'd admit it, but it's definitely a thing he is going thru. I'm reminding him of lies in the rough, trying to show him different lies cause fliers etc., but sometimes even in perfect conditions he will wollop a 9 iron 160 yards when it's really his 140 club.

It must be something with warmer weather. I’ve been gaming these for almost 5 months and started having this issue about 2 months ago when it started warming up to summer temperatures here in NC. The digging issue I was thinking it was just me getting used to the irons but it’s not getting any better. May have to try weakening them some more. That might help some. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:04 PM, TomBomb51 said:

I am loving my 223’s distance control, shot control, and feel are great. I think these will be in the bag for a few years for sure! Not even gonna look at the new ones. Well at gonna try not to look at them. I do as most of us here have a golf club buying problem

• Like 2

I've had the 223's for a few months now. My opinion is, they are just okay. Still using my MP68 in 7 to pw, 223 in 7 through 5 (yes I play 2 7 irons). The 8 and 9 iron haven't even made my bag. I seem to prefer the older Mizuno irons, think I'm done buying newer Mizuno releases. 

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

On 7/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, jetmech879 said:

It must be something with warmer weather. I’ve been gaming these for almost 5 months and started having this issue about 2 months ago when it started warming up to summer temperatures here in NC. The digging issue I was thinking it was just me getting used to the irons but it’s not getting any better. May have to try weakening them some more. That might help some. 

So my irons must have heard me talking smack about them! I played in wet conditions this morning and had a very good iron day. No heavy shots (maybe it’s just me??🤣) and a very solid iron day. I do still feel that they are going farther than they were but today it was more consistent. I’m thinking about trying the modus 125 x in them as I have a brand new set here ready to go. That has been my shaft of choice for the last several years. I think I could really use a bit more spin. The project x LS shafts do what they are supposed to do. Great shaft but paired with a lower spin head I feel may not be the way to go. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my mixed set of 4&5 223 and 6-PW 221's backend of March, due to Mizuno discontinuing the standard project X's had to order them with DG X100's and send to a local club builder to get the shafts swapped out. Finally got them back yesterday!

I'm 2* upright and wanted the 221's 1* strong with the 223's standard Loft, he said the 5 & 6 iron were miles out of spec and needed a lot of bending, i would imagine this is where people are having issues with gapping/strike etc between different irons in their set. I'm UK based so my set would've come from the assembly plant up in Scotland.

Anyways took them to the range and they feel really good flight on the 223's is pretty strong and definitley spin a little less than my old set, in all I'd say iron for iron go about half a club further than my old Titleist 710MB's but they are effectivley 2* stronger in loft so expected, going to get them out on the course this weekend and see how they feel off the turf with a proper ball.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Orange 60TX
Titleist TSi3 15* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR3 18* - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Mizuno Pro 225 2 iron - Fujikura Ventus Black 9TX
Mizuno Pro 223 4&5 - Project X 6.5
Mizuno Pro 221 6-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 52.12F - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 56.12D - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 60.08M - Project X 6.5
2010 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, jetmech879 said:

Think about the thin faces on the irons, as the weather warms, the thin metal become more flexible. It has a greater rebound effect. balls also become more responsive in warmer weather vs colder. 

variability between the thin faced irons will be much higher than with solid forged. Or even among the long and short irons in the 225 line. 

On 7/10/2022 at 7:24 AM, lefty1978 said:

I've had the 223's for a few months now. My opinion is, they are just okay. Still using my MP68 in 7 to pw, 223 in 7 through 5 (yes I play 2 7 irons). The 8 and 9 iron haven't even made my bag. I seem to prefer the older Mizuno irons, think I'm done buying newer Mizuno releases. 

I was so pumped for these irons and thought they were going to be my gamers. As the season evolved, gapping issues emerged as a result of some spin differentials between longer and shorter irons…. There were inconsistencies…. Was losing distance on the mid irons…. May have been A shaft issue…. But I sold my 223 and 221 set….. kept the 225 set as a back up…. 

Gaming Miura and New level irons …. Been very happy with these. Very consistent irons with all the feel I look for …. 

I had such high expectations for this line….. although, the 225 are probably some of the best hollow players distance irons ever made…. Just depends if that kind of club is right for your game. 

• Like 2

Put my 223 221 set in play about a month ago. They were in spec out of the box and I’ve had no gapping issue, 7 iron 1* weak to allow for the loft difference. I hit them well from the git. But, as to not wait for $tapers, I ordered another shaft. Play ok just keep wanting to throw the $tapers in. 

Edited by fishcakes

• 2 months later...

Hey all 

So I’m about to make the switch to the 223 irons from the titleist t100 irons. I only just orders them and haven’t discussed specs with my builder. The lofts are 2 degrees stronger and the lie angles are pretty different. I play to titleist standard lie angles 

has anyone done this switch and changed the lofts and lie angles. I can deal with the lofts, but it seems the lie angle Change-changes the offset.

would love feedback if anyone has done the same and the build you sent with 

tia

mizuno 

4 22 60 0.138 38.5

5 25 60.5 0.134 38

6 28 61 0.13 37.5

7 32 61.5 0.122 37

8 36 62 0.114 36.5

9 41 62.5 0.106 36

PW46 63 0.098 35.5

Titleist 

4 iron loft 24 lie 61.5