2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

Current JPX919 Hot Metal Pro user.   Hit the 223 and 225 extensively off mats during the pre-season.  Preferred the 225s and a few weeks back managed to snag a Like New set at my specs (2 deg up and +1/2" length) with some trade-in credit.  Been playing them on course the last week or so.  They look FANTASTIC but they are just not doing it for me.   I had a similar experience with the new T200 last year.   Both T200 and 225 felt great at demo time but, for me, ultimately unsatisfying on the course.  My HMP have a more consistent feel through the set and get through the turf better.  Also  I really dislike the difference in feel between 5-7 and 8-PW for both the T200 and the 225.  The 225s will be on BST soon...

I tried the JPX921 Forged and 223 today off grass and with real balls.   Have to say the 223 off the grass is really, really good and way better than the Forged.  Distance was about the same.   The 223 goes through the turf like the 2019 T100.  Very impressive.  I asked my pro shop to order a set for me but who knows when they will turn up - Sept? 🙂

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

23 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Little late, but up until today i had only seen/hit the 225/223 and they were ok, but nothing that wanted to make me switch. However, i hit the 221 today, and wow. Thats quite an iron.

I hit the 221s and 223s recently. They felt OK. Funny thing is I thought the 223s actually felt slightly better. But like you, neither made me want to ditch my current set.

All you getting the 223, what do you for a 3 iron?  I find it really puzzling that Mizuno doesn’t make a 3 iron for this set.  One of the main reasons I didn’t get mizunos this time around is they don’t make a 3 iron for what is known as a players club.  I don’t combo and I don’t like hybrids nor do I feel I need the extra help of a utility iron for a 3 iron.

18 minutes ago, mudmarlin said:

All you getting the 223, what do you for a 3 iron?  I find it really puzzling that Mizuno doesn’t make a 3 iron for this set.  One of the main reasons I didn’t get mizunos this time around is they don’t make a 3 iron for what is known as a players club.  I don’t combo and I don’t like hybrids nor do I feel I need the extra help of a utility iron for a 3 iron.

I got the 223s but I can't help you out there... I didn't even bother to order the 4 iron. Top of my bag just goes Driver -> 3/4w -> 7w -> 4 hy -> 5 iron. 

5 hours ago, mudmarlin said:

The 223 4 iron at 22 degrees is basically a players 3 iron. How many folks can honestly hit a 18 or 19 degree iron, which is a 2 iron loft, well?

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

21 hours ago, mudmarlin said:

I'm using a Flihi. I mostly only use this Iron from the tee though. 

• Like 2

Another round today with the 225s and still continue to amaze me at how awesome they are.  Simply the best set of irons I've ever had. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

12 hours ago, PowerCobra98 said:

Another round today with the 225s and still continue to amaze me at how awesome they are.  Simply the best set of irons I've ever had. 

Exactly how I feel with my 225s! I have been so much more consistent since putting these in the bag! I’m hoping that these will finally get me to that sub 70 round I’ve been shooting for! Shot 73 today and last Thursday with them. If I was making putts I’d have been there!😡

• Like 4

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I'm thinking about ordering a 2-9 combo set of 225 and 221. The split would be 225 5 iron and 221 6 iron, with a 4 degree gap between the two.

Any thoughts on this set-up? I've been playing almost the same set-up with the MP20 versions, and I do think the split between the HMB and MB from 5 to 6 is a bit much in form and function, but given the changes to the 225 I would expect it to be a bit smoother.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Trippels said:

I'm thinking about ordering a 2-9 combo set of 225 and 221. The split would be 225 5 iron and 221 6 iron, with a 4 degree gap between the two.

Any thoughts on this set-up? I've been playing almost the same set-up with the MP20 versions, and I do think the split between the HMB and MB from 5 to 6 is a bit much in form and function, but given the changes to the 225 I would expect it to be a bit smoother.

Be sure to look at Mizuno's suggested blending set lofts

image.png.365acde07e2be73be65e4c86d14f0924.png

Purchased 225s when they first came out and they have really been consistent. The only issue is the extra distance and lack of spin, both of which I can live with but was just wondering what switching to the 223s would accomplish if anything. Again, I love the looks of the 225s and almost everything about the club, but always looking for improvement. I play to a 4 and hit the 225 7 iron 185 opposed to 175 in Apex, plus the extra roll out. Thanks in advance. 

42 minutes ago, Football55 said:

Purchased 225s when they first came out and they have really been consistent. The only issue is the extra distance and lack of spin, both of which I can live with but was just wondering what switching to the 223s would accomplish if anything. Again, I love the looks of the 225s and almost everything about the club, but always looking for improvement. I play to a 4 and hit the 225 7 iron 185 opposed to 175 in Apex, plus the extra roll out. Thanks in advance. 

Everyone is different, test them out, blah, blah blah... but I'd guess the 223s would probably come up about 5-10 yards shorter than the 225s for you as that was about the difference between the 223s and the 225s for me in my fitting (and the 223s would launch and spin a little higher, some of that from the loft difference and some of that from the construction). I decided to go with the 223s because I was trying to get more consistent distance out of my 8-9-PW-GW more than anything with my new set (and I didn't really see much of a forgiveness difference between the 223s and 225s for my swings... good swings got good results and worse swings got worse results). 

Edited by KParks

Have about five rounds now with my 225’s.  They have quickly jumped to the top of my Arccos stats for strokes gained, especially in the long irons where I needed the consistency most.  Not quite as good as my P790’s in the short irons, so I’m still working  on distance control there.  In all, very happy with the change and think these will be in the bag a while.  Likely will drop the set GW for my RTX-4, which I hit more consistently.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

22 hours ago, StrawPlains_StripeShow said:

My 225’s ordered back in February showed up today. Absolutely an S-show to get these clubs, but I’m hitting the range after work and can report back. 4-GW, +.5in, standard lie and loft. I’ll be ripping the plastic off at the range later to get some yardages for each. 

602E82D0-9D9E-4194-9D6D-E7FE46A01F28.jpeg.f58b522892068319349b2dd72489cfb1.jpeg

I am so jealous staring at this picture and mine are only a couple days away! 

Finally got to the range today with my 223 only had time to hit about 20 balls. Didn’t get to try everything yet. But first impressions are they are going to be great. Got to get adjusted to the new shafts ProjectX LZ 6.0. Coming from the 921 forged with KBS $taper 130x. 
the new clubs feel lighter noticeably have to get use to that. More to come but I definitely think I am going to like them a lot 

On 5/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, mudmarlin said:

My 223 set ends at 5 iron and I jump back and forth between a Cobra FT 3 or 4 iron, which bridges the gap between the 5 iron and my 5 wood.

Side note: I've had my 223's for almost two months now and I absolutely love them. I've never had so much confidence from 175-200. I did have a distance issue with the PW and GW, but I had the lofts checked and they were both 1° weak, so I had them bent and it seems to have helped. 

Edited by 1puttTUT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, Trippels said:

Thats what Id be going with if I was purchasing a set.