Tiger Update (Masters 2022) *** MERGED ***

stinger_gc

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Forum physicians, forum physicians, where art thou forum physicians?   

Why are you doctors? 

crickets............... 

Maybe we’re tired of your comments. The news conference info added nothing more to the medical knowledge than the very limited amount either provided or speculated previously.  No responsible physician can add anything more than an educated guess. Nearly all of us have wished for a successful outcome and recognize he may be an exceptional patient, both physically and mentally, for recovery, but no one on this forum has examined him, reviewed his chart, or seen any imaging studies. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Maybe we’re tired of your comments. The news conference info added nothing more to the medical knowledge than the very limited amounted either provided or speculated previously.  No responsible physician can add anything more than an educated guess. Nearly all of us have wished for a successful outcome and recognize he may an exceptional patient, both physically and mentally, for recovery, but no one on this forum has examined him, reviewed his chart, or seen any imaging studies. 

The same can be said of an irresponsible physician.  

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

My take away from Tiger’s interview and press conference is he knows he will never be close to the player he was, not even the 2019 version. And he is OK with that. Yet guys here are talking about him playing 12-15 tournaments a year, winning events, and contending in majors.

Like - I've loved watching Tiger and think he's the GOAT - but he's going to play 5 tournaments a year if we're lucky.  And he'll make the cut maybe once.

Masters

British

PGA

He probably won't qualify for a US Open again if I understand the rules right.  

Torrey Pines and Bay Hill.  Maybe Riviera?  Maybe Players?  Maybe Memorial?

I can see Tiger making the cut at the Masters and maybe at Riviera.

Tiger has absolutely nothing left to prove to any of us and I hope he is able to find peace and be content with his life even without high level competitive golf.

Anyone else noticed all of the recent Ben Hogan comparisons Tiger has been offering? It would be crazy if he could do it. Anyone else see him winning a major in his early 50's? Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

17 minutes ago, iutodd said:

I believe Tiger is eligible to play the US Open in 2022 and 2023 because of his Masters win in 2019.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

7 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

The USGA will give him multiple exemptions

"Mr ... E. Woods? We'll need your GHIN to confirm your 1.4 index." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

27 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Like - I've loved watching Tiger and think he's the GOAT - but he's going to play 5 tournaments a year if we're lucky.  And he'll make the cut maybe once.

Masters

British

PGA

Torrey Pines and Bay Hill.  Maybe Riviera?  Maybe Players?  Maybe Memorial?

I can see Tiger making the cut at the Masters and maybe at Riviera.

Tiger has absolutely nothing left to prove to any of us and I hope he is able to find peace and be content with his life even without high level competitive golf.

I don't believe that he plays if he is playing 5 per year. He won't be competitive enough for his liking. If he can't play competitive rounds every month he won't be out there missing cuts in the majors just to say he played.

1 hour ago, Duct Tape said:

Maybe we’re tired of your comments. The news conference info added nothing more to the medical knowledge than the very limited amount either provided or speculated previously.  No responsible physician can add anything more than an educated guess. Nearly all of us have wished for a successful outcome and recognize he may be an exceptional patient, both physically and mentally, for recovery, but no one on this forum has examined him, reviewed his chart, or seen any imaging studies. 

Hey Doc. Don’t you think Duck tape should be like standard issue for all Doctor bags?

I mean, if you happen upon some accident, Duck tape would be invaluable right?

Can like, staunch bleeding, make a sling, you use enough duck tape and you can pretty much patch up anything. 

Or are you already ahead of me on this?

; )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Hey Doc. Don’t you think Duck tape should be like standard issue for all Doctor bags?

I mean, if you happen upon some accident, Duck tape would be invaluable right?

Can like, staunch bleeding, make a sling, you use enough duck tape and you can pretty much patch up anything. 

Or are you already ahead of me on this?

; )

A lot of responsible docs have  switched to Gorilla 🦍 Tape! It’s a whole thing in the medical community! Of course the OGs are steadfast that there is no replacement for good ol’ duct tape. It worked then, it will work now dammit!! 🤣

64E99949-0F9A-40FB-BC7D-7FD89EBD6CD3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jholz said:

Anyone else noticed all of the recent Ben Hogan comparisons Tiger has been offering? It would be crazy if he could do it. Anyone else see him winning a major in his early 50's? Stranger things have happened.

After Ben Hogan's accident in 1949 here are the number of tournaments he played in from 1950-1970:

6, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 5, 2, 3, 5, 4, 3, 3, 1, 4, 5, 4, 4, 3

Now Hogan was able to be competitive - winning tournament and majors still.  Tiger himself seemed unsure of when he'd be able to play (semi) competitively again.  I actually think it might be a whole year more until he's back in the Bahamas again.

I think the best we could hope for in 2022 is him playing the Par 3 at The Masters.  Which would be INCREDIBLE.

3 minutes ago, iutodd said:

After Ben Hogan's accident in 1949 here are the number of tournaments he played in from 1950-1970:

Now Hogan was able to be competitive - winning tournament and majors still.  Tiger himself seemed unsure of when he'd be able to play (semi) competitively again.  I actually think it might be a whole year more until he's back in the Bahamas again.

I think the best we could hope for in 2022 is him playing the Par 3 at The Masters.  Which would be INCREDIBLE.

Tiger is 9 years older than Hogan was when he had his accident and he didn't have an ailing back either

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

13 minutes ago, TiScape said:

A lot of responsible docs have  switched to Gorilla 🦍 Tape! It’s a whole thing in the medical community! Of course the OGs are steadfast that there is no replacement for good ol’ duct tape. It worked then, it will work now dammit!! 🤣

64E99949-0F9A-40FB-BC7D-7FD89EBD6CD3.jpeg

Personally I’m a duct tape man. Fixes anything. 🙂

11 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Oh, it's an imperfect comparison, to be sure. And would it be an incredible feat? Sure. But, I wouldn't put it past Tiger to do it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Here is TW swing 2000 vs 2019

Less dynamic but certainly still able to get in the key positions.

He needs to get back or pretty close to the physical condition he was in 2019 to compete now. I think he is wise to just give it time, build strength and flexibility, and just see if he can get there.

He may not be able to. 

4 minutes ago, johnseg said:

I think the injury is valid but not age. 50 then versus 50 now. Rue was the saucy Golden Girl in the mid-80's and JLo is well Jlo.

spacer.png

It’s valid because Tiger wasn’t going to play for 17 years before this year’s injury like Hogan did. Tiger had way more miles under him than Hogan did at 36. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

58 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

The USGA will give him multiple exemptions

Forgot about exemptions.  I was thinking about the 10 year exemption for winning.  I forgot the USGA could just let him in.

edit: But I feel somewhat confident that Tiger will never, technically, qualify for the Open again.

Edited by iutodd

24 minutes ago, johnseg said:

I think the injury is valid but not age. 50 then versus 50 now. Rue was the saucy Golden Girl in the mid-80's and JLo is well Jlo.

spacer.png

So all Tiger needs is some botox, a boob job and a face lift?  Makes perfect sense.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Here is what I got out of it.

1.  Tiger is happy to be alive

2.  Tiger is happy to have 2 legs attached.

3.  Tiger is happy to be walking again and watching Charlie play golf.

4.  Tiger wants to play golf again and hit shots, he's addicted to that feeling.

5.  Tiger misses hanging out on tour with his buddies

6.  Tiger hopes to play a few tournaments a year for fun and hopefully get in good enough shape to compete on occasion.  

7.  He needed to climb Everest after the fusion, he no longer needs to climb Everest.  (win majors)  

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 hours ago, aenemated said:

"Mr ... E. Woods? We'll need your GHIN to confirm your 1.4 index." 

"Ummm,  here it is.  I'm a 1.2 from the Reds at Medalist.  And I get a cart, right?"

• Haha 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

43 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You missed a very key element… FILLERS. 

I think his point has some validity. 50 today looks and is, very different than 50 in 1962. 

Cosmetically, sure. Especially if you have money.   

physically Tiger has had 5 back surgeries.  Do they do the surgeries better than in 1962, sure.  But it's still back surgery and better might mean being able to walk instead of being in a wheel chair for 10 extra years.  No doubt Hogan's surgery might have had a better outcome today, but maybe not that much better.  He is 55.  Hogan was much younger.  Tiger is now just hoping to be a ceremonial golfer, if he actually contends a few times it would be a bonus.  If I were him I would play golf with my son and stick to spear fishing.  He has done all he needs to prove, leave something left in the tank for when you are 80.  Like being able to walk.  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think it is fair to have very low expectations for Tiger's playing career going forward and I can understand his trepidation. However, consider that 7 months ago he thought he was going to lose his leg. Now he's playing golf. In 2017, he told people at the champions dinner at the Masters that he was done. Two years later, he won the Masters. He has a history of changing goals and perspectives. Not to diminish what he has gone through the last year specifically; it sounds worse than hell. 

I think his goals will change as his health hopefully continues to improve. And if there's anyone that can nab a major or two playing an extremely limited schedule, it's Tiger Woods. Before the accident, he still had as good of control over the golf ball as anyone in the world. 

That all being said, everything is stacked against him. His strong leg is now his left leg which has had more surgeries than I can count going back 30 years. He was recovering from back surgery when he had his accident. He's in his late 40's and the most accomplished golfer of all time. He doesn't seem to hold ridiculous grudges like he used to which seemed to give him the juice to continually compete. He's a golfer that seems to need a mountain to climb in order to play his best. 

Maybe in 6 months, he'll feel that he has another mountain to climb. Hard to know.  

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Cosmetically, sure. Especially if you have money.   

physically Tiger has had 5 back surgeries.  Do they do the surgeries better than in 1962, sure.  But it's still back surgery and better might mean being able to walk instead of being in a wheel chair for 10 extra years.  No doubt Hogan's surgery might have had a better outcome today, but maybe not that much better.  He is 55.  Hogan was much younger.  Tiger is now just hoping to be a ceremonial golfer, if he actually contends a few times it would be a bonus.  If I were him I would play golf with my son and stick to spear fishing.  He has done all he needs to prove, leave something left in the tank for when you are 80.  Like being able to walk.  

Hogan's surgical outcome would have been so much better if done today. Even in 1949, Hogan's outcome prior to the blood clots was exceptional and expected to have a full recovery. It's my opinion, but I think Hogan's surgeries, mainly the one that stopped the blood clots, aged him a solid 15 years, maybe more. I see a similarity there with Tiger because both men could probably hit nothing but pure shots on the range after their surgeries, but simply hiking the course was the obstacle (not even touching Hogan's poor eyesight in his left eye after the accident or his constantly hurt shoulder which he later had surgeries on). 

• Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

• GwrxMod changed the title to Tiger Update (Masters 2022) *** MERGED ***