2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

On 2/28/2024 at 1:43 PM, mc2 said:

Just picked up the new version at 19 degrees with stock stiff shaft, and all I can say is HOLY F****** S*** WHERE HAS THIS THING BEEN ALL MY LIFE? 

Yes, if you see my post history I'm pretty sure I commented a couple of years ago saying I hated the OG UW after trying it, well my swing has changed and I really hate anything with HZRDS shafts in it. 

I've been struggling with a 4 wood in this slot for a long time, to the point where I just took it out of the bag and had an empty slot. It was extremely nice to be able to hit this distance window without even a hint of going left. My usual miss is left and it's extremely bad with 4 and 7 woods. 

UW went long and straight today or slight fade. Wonderful piercing trajectory but spins plenty. Hit it 8 times during my round without ever having hit it before (not even at the range), and 6 of those were very very good shots. My 4 wood had about a 5% success rate for a straight shot. 

This will really change my game. Today was windy so I needed it a lot, but generally it will be used a second shot on par 5's club, or a long par 3 club, both areas where I often sacrifice a lot of distance by laying back with 5 hybrid because I can't rely on my 4 or 7 woods. 

It's only been 1 round with this club and I'm now all in on fade bias (or at least non-left) clubs haha, anyone got any other favourites?

Currently playing TSR2 11 degree, UW 19, [GAP HERE], G430 5 hybrid, 5-U i210, Glide 56-60. Looking to fill the gap between UW 19 and 5 hybrid, the logical choice is probably G430 4 hybrid, but any tips on maybe slotting the new 21 degree UW in there? Shorter shaft maybe?

Man I am pumped if you can't already tell!!!!

Why didn't you go UW17 and UW21? 17 is closer to a 4wd loft and the UW21 would fill your gap nicely

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:43 PM, mc2 said:

Just picked up the new version at 19 degrees with stock stiff shaft, and all I can say is HOLY F****** S*** WHERE HAS THIS THING BEEN ALL MY LIFE? 

Yes, if you see my post history I'm pretty sure I commented a couple of years ago saying I hated the OG UW after trying it, well my swing has changed and I really hate anything with HZRDS shafts in it. 

I've been struggling with a 4 wood in this slot for a long time, to the point where I just took it out of the bag and had an empty slot. It was extremely nice to be able to hit this distance window without even a hint of going left. My usual miss is left and it's extremely bad with 4 and 7 woods. 

UW went long and straight today or slight fade. Wonderful piercing trajectory but spins plenty. Hit it 8 times during my round without ever having hit it before (not even at the range), and 6 of those were very very good shots. My 4 wood had about a 5% success rate for a straight shot. 

This will really change my game. Today was windy so I needed it a lot, but generally it will be used a second shot on par 5's club, or a long par 3 club, both areas where I often sacrifice a lot of distance by laying back with 5 hybrid because I can't rely on my 4 or 7 woods. 

It's only been 1 round with this club and I'm now all in on fade bias (or at least non-left) clubs haha, anyone got any other favourites?

Currently playing TSR2 11 degree, UW 19, [GAP HERE], G430 5 hybrid, 5-U i210, Glide 56-60. Looking to fill the gap between UW 19 and 5 hybrid, the logical choice is probably G430 4 hybrid, but any tips on maybe slotting the new 21 degree UW in there? Shorter shaft maybe?

Man I am pumped if you can't already tell!!!!

I agree. The mmt is a good shaft in the uw. I ordered my OG with one and now that I’ve played with ball position my 21° is awesome. I go 80s. Glad you found something that works. 

for my top of bag I go driver, 16.5° rouge st ls, uw and then a 18° Caley di then 5i. For you, you could try a 21° uw but definitely go shorter than stock otherwise play around with it. You have lots of options from DIs to just a 4 hy. 

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

So absolutely killing my new UW 19 degree club. Way better than the original that I couldn’t get up in the air due to the low spin. So curious what low lifted fairway wood you mirror with this and what the setup is? 

on a side note I’m hoping they release the 23 degree stateside. 

Edited by odshot68

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

On 3/3/2024 at 10:25 PM, odshot68 said:

So absolutely killing my new UW 19 degree club. Way better than the original that I couldn’t get up in the air due to the low spin. So curious what low lifted fairway wood you mirror with this and what the setup is? 

on a side note I’m hoping they release the 23 degree stateside. 

wait what, there's a 23 degree?

On 3/3/2024 at 2:24 AM, infinii said:

Why didn't you go UW17 and UW21? 17 is closer to a 4wd loft and the UW21 would fill your gap nicely

I was thinking that could work, but gap between 5 hybrid and 21 UW might be a little long.

I'm also unsure I have the ball speed for the 17 degree head. Could be worth a shot if I can find the 17 and 21 at a decent price to try though

On 3/3/2024 at 2:36 AM, Rbsiedsc said:

I agree. The mmt is a good shaft in the uw. I ordered my OG with one and now that I’ve played with ball position my 21° is awesome. I go 80s. Glad you found something that works. 

for my top of bag I go driver, 16.5° rouge st ls, uw and then a 18° Caley di then 5i. For you, you could try a 21° uw but definitely go shorter than stock otherwise play around with it. You have lots of options from DIs to just a 4 hy. 

The most likely is I'll pick up a 4 hybrid to match my 5. 

I just read above there is a 23 degree UW though, but looks like it's only in Japan? That would be a perfect fit. 

DI's, maybe. I'm pretty sure I don't have the ball speed for them, but could be worth another try as it's been a while

I noticed the ones on jdm site are 1.5 degrees more upright. Forget that!!!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

2 hours ago, mc2 said:

Noooo 😢 Does this mean the 23 degree isn't available in the normal lie angle?

Correct. Sad for sure.  Definitely not interested 

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

6 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Correct. Sad for sure.  Definitely not interested 

I think you are looking at that a little too harshly. Its really not 1.5* more upright and more .5* more imo.

If you progress down and consider that it is going to be shorter by .5" and thus more upright due to that.

Compare the specs of every uw currently on the us site and the overseas site and they are all 1.5 degrees more upright. That’s not to say playing length doesn’t affect it but if played at our standard length  it he states then it’s to upright for me

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

On 3/7/2024 at 3:47 AM, mc2 said:

didn't know that, good to know.

is that because of the bonded hosel/no adapter?

Reckon any old pro shop with a loft lie machine could handle it? 

From what i’ve heard, most big box retailers/techs or average-joe pro shops won’t mess with the bonded hosel on the UW. I think they still need some additional tools/cushioning (and experience) in order to secure the head without risking damage. The hosel can easily be bent due it’s length/construction but the head itself is fragile. I don’t think Callaway will even bend it with a custom order; all of the loft/lie adjustments for bonded hosels are performed on their Tour Truck if i’m not mistaken

But if you can find a tech with the proper tools/experience, then yes - it can be easily bent

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Callaway changed the lie angle on mine. But would not change the loft. 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black TR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

1 hour ago, alkal11 said:

Callaway changed the lie angle on mine. But would not change the loft. 

I had my lie and loft changed by Callaway when I ordered mine custom.  They went +/- 1* with both loft and lie as an option.  If you want more, then you need to heat it and have the right vice housing to not crack it.  Similar to adjusting Pings, etc.  It's definitely a job for an experienced club builder, and it can still cause the head to fail.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

11 hours ago, aussieb said:

I had my lie and loft changed by Callaway when I ordered mine custom.  They went +/- 1* with both loft and lie as an option.  If you want more, then you need to heat it and have the right vice housing to not crack it.  Similar to adjusting Pings, etc.  It's definitely a job for an experienced club builder, and it can still cause the head to fail.

Looking at your username, did you get this done in Australia? Where did you order from? 

1 hour ago, mc2 said:

Looking at your username, did you get this done in Australia? Where did you order from? 

Actually I ordered it directly from Callaway US because they didn't order any in left hand for the Australian market.  They didn't think it would sell, or even be popular.  Had to ship it to Texas, and then on to my place down here.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

8 hours ago, aussieb said:

Actually I ordered it directly from Callaway US because they didn't order any in left hand for the Australian market.  They didn't think it would sell, or even be popular.  Had to ship it to Texas, and then on to my place down here.

Crikey!

I might check my pro shop, a 21@22 would be just about perfect for me, got some pro shop comp winning credit to use up too 

Couple more questions for everyone:

*Those that have had all 3 UW in the bag, or 2 of them with closer lofts (ie 17 and 19, or 19 and 21), what the gapping like in between each club?

*My average drive is around 230-240yards, 6.2 handicap, typically low ball flight (my irons are 3 degrees weak i210s!), could I hit the new version at 17 degree? I think the OG will be too low spin at 17.

UW are hard to find in Aus, both on the used market and even new in shops to try out. I literally have to order them brand new as a custom order if I want to try them. I got lucky to find my 19 degree on the used market. 

I love my 19, it's perfect and don't want to take it out of the bag. But I'm considering Driver-UW17-UW21-5H, or if not then Driver-UW19-UW21-5H

If I could test in-store I would, but I can't, so I need to ask questions. 

13 minutes ago, mc2 said:

*Those that have had all 3 UW in the bag, or 2 of them with closer lofts (ie 17 and 19, or 19 and 21), what the gapping like in between each club?

*My average drive is around 230-240yards, 6.2 handicap, typically low ball flight (my irons are 3 degrees weak i210s!), could I hit the new version at 17 degree? I think the OG will be too low spin at 17.

UW are hard to find in Aus, both on the used market and even new in shops to try out. I literally have to order them brand new as a custom order if I want to try them. I got lucky to find my 19 degree on the used market. 

I love my 19, it's perfect and don't want to take it out of the bag. But I'm considering Driver-UW17-UW21-5H, or if not then Driver-UW19-UW21-5H

I have the older models, but I have driver, 3w (at 14°), UW 17 and UW 21, then 5i. Works perfectly for me. I’m similar handicap as you and my drives are maybe 260-270 so not that much longer off the tee. 

Edited by JamesG12

2 hours ago, JamesG12 said:

I have the older models, but I have driver, 3w (at 14°), UW 17 and UW 21, then 5i. Works perfectly for me. I’m similar handicap as you and my drives are maybe 260-270 so not that much longer off the tee. 

Thank you. Do you find that the 17 will stop when it's supposed to stop, or does it tend to be low spin and really run out long sometimes?

I've got a 4 wood in that slot and sometimes randomly I get a low spin bullet and it runs out longer than my driver. I'd much prefer something with more spin with consistent distance control 

5 hours ago, mc2 said:

You don't have the SS to elevate  and spin a 17 degree enough...just sayin

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5