2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

17 hours ago, mjo23 said:

Incredible sale going on at Callawaypreowned, I just ordered a 21* w/Ventus Blue 7x for $295 in "like-new" condition. They're also on sale for as low as $150 w/stock shafts (hzrdus rdx black) in "like new" condition. Pretty crazy deal tbh, and i expect that many of these aren't used whatsoever and just extra inventory as they're transitioning to the updated 23' UW.

Jump on it while ya'll can! I'm excited to say the least 😆

Been playing with the OG 21* with the RDX 80g for a few months. It’s one of the most versatile clubs I’ve ever played and quickly became an all time favorite for me.  

Ordered a 17* last night to match my 21*. Debated on shafts for a while but the stock RDX works pretty well for me in my 21*. I did go with the 70g in the 17* vs the 80g in my 21* hoping for a little more speed. Pulling my 15* 3wood from the bag. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seemore88 said:

Been playing with the OG 21* with the RDX 80g for a few months. It’s one of the most versatile clubs I’ve ever played and quickly became an all time favorite for me.  

Ordered a 17* last night to match my 21*. Debated on shafts for a while but the stock RDX works pretty well for me in my 21*. I did go with the 70g in the 17* vs the 80g in my 21* hoping for a little more speed. Pulling my 15* 3wood from the bag. 

Do you find the OG to have any ball flight bias?  I’ve read it’s anti left but the poster above says no

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

2 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Do you find the OG to have any ball flight bias?  I’ve read it’s anti left but the poster above says no

If anything it just likes to go straight for me and for the few buddies I’ve had try it. I don’t have problems with turning it over but I don’t hit rope hooks like some hybrids I’ve had in the past. I can hit the 21* a mile high but I’m a vey high ball player anyway.  

The thing I love about it is the utility. I can choke down and hit a high, soft 210 shot that stops within a foot or so, or rip it 235. Never had it over spin and balloon on me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seemore88 said:

Love to hear it! How is the ball flight with the RDX Smoke Black? I’ve never tried one, but I’m interested in possibly installing one for my 3-wood. Are you able to generate enough launch to hold greens, or is typically low bullets?

Edit: I see you basically already answered this in your above reply, my b

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

17 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Love to hear it! How is the ball flight with the RDX Smoke Black? I’ve never tried one, but I’m interested in possibly installing one for my 3-wood. Are you able to generate enough launch to hold greens, or is typically low bullets?

My 21* is pretty much drop stop but I hit the ball HIGH. In comparison my 4 iron normally doesn’t roll out more than a couple feet. 

Edited by seemore88
  • Like 2

Hello!  

This may have been addressed somewhere in the previous 60 pages, but I have a question for anyone who's tried a heavy (100+ gram) shaft in their UW.  I have two of them, and my dilemma is my 19 degree UW goes too far to be useful, and the 21 just isn't quite long enough sometimes.  Unfortunately I don't have room in the bag for both.  I know bending them is an option, but I don't have anyone nearby to do that.  Both currently have 80 gram shafts.  

For those who have tried heavier shafts, did there seem to be a noticeable reduction in distance?  I'm not looking at anything huge, but a 10 yard drop in the 19 degree would be perfect.  And of course I'd like the benefit of having more control as well.  I know I could just try it, but before I put any $$ into an experiment I wanted to at least ask the question.  

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, rodge said:

Hello!  

This may have been addressed somewhere in the previous 60 pages, but I have a question for anyone who's tried a heavy (100+ gram) shaft in their UW.  I have two of them, and my dilemma is my 19 degree UW goes too far to be useful, and the 21 just isn't quite long enough sometimes.  Unfortunately I don't have room in the bag for both.  I know bending them is an option, but I don't have anyone nearby to do that.  Both currently have 80 gram shafts.  

For those who have tried heavier shafts, did there seem to be a noticeable reduction in distance?  I'm not looking at anything huge, but a 10 yard drop in the 19 degree would be perfect.  And of course I'd like the benefit of having more control as well.  I know I could just try it, but before I put any $$ into an experiment I wanted to at least ask the question.  

Thanks!

Can’t speak from personal experience but a heavier shaft probably isn’t going to fix the distance issue, heavier might just help with control. It’s strange that you have predicament with only a 2* difference between the two. Maybe you need a higher launch/spin shaft than the stock low spin low launch Hzrdus Smoke Black Rdx?

I have the same issue with not having a builder that i trust to bend my clubs, but seeking one out would probably be your best bet - or a shaft change

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Just popping in to say this is a GOAT club. I have a 19* with AD-DI 6s tipped 2.5" and it goes 5-10 yards less than my former 3 wood. you can pull this thing from my cold, dead hands. 

Always on the hunt for a 23*! 

JL

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

27 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Can’t speak from personal experience but a heavier shaft probably isn’t going to fix the distance issue, heavier might just help with control. It’s strange that you have predicament with only a 2* difference between the two. Maybe you need a higher launch/spin shaft than the stock low spin low launch Hzrdus Smoke Black Rdx?

I have the same issue with not having a builder that i trust to bend my clubs, but seeking one out would probably be your best bet - or a shaft change

Both have the Trono 75X.  I was just thinking that the heavier shaft should allow me to go shorter in length, which should accomplish this, or I could just shorten the club as is and buy a heavier weight.  Lots of options I guess!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodge said:

Both have the Trono 75X.  I was just thinking that the heavier shaft should allow me to go shorter in length, which should accomplish this, or I could just shorten the club as is and buy a heavier weight.  Lots of options I guess!  

How far is the distance gap between the 19 and 21?   Do you hit a cut or draw?  

there should not be more and 15 yards or so difference here.  I’m not sure shaft length or weight is going to solve this.  

My thought would be to game the 19 since most of us don’t hit our full carry distance every shot.  Leaves you a little room to take some off with a cut shot or a slight mishit, and a little confidence to go after it on longer approaches.

Was pleasantly surprised to receive the uw24 in 17 and 21 today, ups shared it would be Thursday. Ordered at CPO eu, took a bit of a chance as the items had no picture and a somewhat vague description from which you had to decipher these were the UW24. 

at €185 a piece, shipped in “as new” state sounded too good to be true. But they are perfect, seemed to be not hit at all. Only thing missing was the wrap. 

Raced to the course, had an hour to do some testing. Played 3 holes and I think these will turn out exactly as I had in mind. 17 will replace my 5w and possibly 3w as well. Very strong off the tee, easy from the fairway, rough was most difficult, but as expected. 

Had 210 uphill, playing close to 225 was playing for the front off the green. Carried it on the green, wow, just kept flying. 

21 will be replacing my 7w. The 7w was not performing, just too high, too little forward flight. The 21uw solved that problem, have 10-15y extra carry back. Flight is perfect. 

time to play with it, find my tendencies with these clubs. I love the shorter shaft, lie angle and how the head sits. It is so inviting to go all in with these. 

11 hours ago, Jimi Thing said:

Does anyone happen to know which type of weights go into the UW24 heads? 

If its built at standard length there isn't any reason it shouldn't be the same as the previous version of 7g. That weight screw uses the same wrench for drivers so it can be easily taken out and its labelled on the side.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:43 PM, Glock917 said:

If its built at standard length there isn't any reason it shouldn't be the same as the previous version of 7g. That weight screw uses the same wrench for drivers so it can be easily taken out and its labelled on the side.

Confirmed, both have the 7g weight. 

I was just looking at the OG and 24 heads side by side in a store, and to my eye the OG sat a fair amount more open than the 24. Is that consensus or just me?  Just ordered a 17* OG with Ventus Blue 7X from CPO based on that comparison. 

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

I've sworn up and down by my OG 17° and 21°, but I've been wanting to grab an OG 23°. I've seen that the new one is available at 23° only in Japan lol. I haven't been able to look at the new one at address or hit it, is there any input on turf interaction improvement? That was kind of the only thing I saw marketed as an improvement, not sure what people actually think about it.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

I switched to the 17 & 21 UW's back in Sep. replacing my Epic Flash 5 & 7woods. It's been a game changer for me and I was really good with the Epics! I will be changing these two sticks out for years! I haven't hit the new ones and I don't even care to try them. That's how good these 2021 UWs are.

Edited by RedWings1
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym Trip Dia 9.5* - Fuji Blue VeloCore TR 6s or New Blue VeloCore 6S+

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW & Eleven both at 33.5"
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

On 10/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, jacho22 said:

In my experience OG is more fade biased and new one is more neutral with still a tad bit of fade bias.

I definitely think the OG is totally neutral, and the new one for me is slightly draw biased. I’m wondering if it’s just a minor inconsistency, within their tolerance but more upright of their listed specs or something, with the new one. Whatever it is, I prefer the OG personally.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I have both in 21*, same ventus Black 9X Shaft. Have only used the new one for 1 round and some range balls pre round. I do find with the shinier bottom, there is a touch of shine coming from the heel that to me, makes the face look a touch shut,. Does not play like it though. Same high, low spin flight. No real bias from what I've hit thus far. Excited to do some more comparisons. Do prefer the sound of the original so far but have only used the new one on a covered range so i'm sure that could have affected the acoustics.

PGA of Canada Class A & TPI Golf Level 2 Certified
Callaway Paradym TD LS  9* -> Ventus Black 6X 
Callaway Paradym TD 15* to 16* -> Ventus Black 7X
Callaway Apex UW 21* -> Ventus Black 8X
Callaway Apex MB 2021 7-PW / Apex Pro 4-6 -> DG TI X100
Callaway JAWS Raw 50W/56X/60C(FT) -> DG TI S400
Toulon Las Vegas H7 - 33"
Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track 360

Got to hit one of the new ones in 19* a month ago and I finally caved in pulled the trigger. Was 10 mph more ball speed than my 19* hybrid with more spin, and that was with a shaft that wasn't a great fit for me. Very excited to get this out on the links. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Wilson Infinite North Side

Titleist Pro V1X

Important question...I am not much of a "stock" headcover guy - what headcovers work well for the UW? I find the hybrid ones I own too small and the fairways a little large...lol.

Driver: Titleist TSR2 (C4) w/HZRDUS Black 70g 6.0

3/4 Wood: TItleist TSR2 (A1) w/HZRDUS Black 70g 6.0

7w/Hybrid/UW: 21 Degree Callaway UW w/HZRDUS Black 70 g 6.0

4 Iron: Callaway Apex 21 DCB w/UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 65 Graphite

5-AW: Callaway Apex 21 w/True Temper Elevate 95 Steel

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (54, 14F, 58, 14K) - Option for LBK when needed

Putter: Toulon Design Chicago, 33in

Grips: Golf Pride Z Grip Cord

Bag: Ping Pioneer (Cart/Pushcart), Ping Hoofer (Carry/Travel)

4 hours ago, slipstitchpass said:

Important question...I am not much of a "stock" headcover guy - what headcovers work well for the UW? I find the hybrid ones I own too small and the fairways a little large...lol.

My rose and fire hybrid cover fits the original uw great

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron