2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

I used to have original UW's (21* &17*) with regular Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDDX 70 and couldn't launch them from tees and deck in desired medium ball flight. So traded them for fairway wood and hybrids. Till new 2024 UW came, I tested UW 19* with MMT 70R and finally can hit them from tees and deck in desired middle ball flights. It took me awhile to adjust to swing like "fairway wood " and it now goes where I want it go. No side spins! 

Edited by Phil Major
corrections
  • Like 2

Taylormade BRNR  13.5* UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 18* UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - PW  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Taylormade MG4 48* TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG3 Tiger Wood Grind  54* TT DG Tour Issue S400

Callaway PM Grind  Black 60* TT DG Tour Issue S400

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Black 64* TT DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

On 9/9/2023 at 9:21 PM, quikcolin said:

I’m seriously considering a 17 degree UW playing .5” long… I suspect it will hang with a clean 3 wood strike. But with more consistency due to the extra loft and shorter length…

I have Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 degree) that I hit pretty well, but find it goes almost too far. I can hit it 265-270 yards (off the tee) which isn’t really “playing it safe” when needed compared to a driver that goes 285-290. 

I’m thinking the UW 17 will be 4-wood ish.  Could be the perfect solution.  

Anyone else considered this as a 3/4 wood replacement?

I have not posted in this thread for awhile, but saw your post. I do not carry any true fairway woods anymore.  I have used this set up at the top of the bag since early 2022 besides for course setup or conditions. I play my UW’s .5” short from stock and a 9 gram weight with standard 1.5” tipping. The 17* UW kicked a Cally Epic Speed 3W with Tour AD UB 7x out of my bag really quick. I felt like the 3W played too close to my driver and I was prone to have a mishit here and there. 

- Epic Max LS 10.5* Tour AD IZ 6X

- Apex UW's -

- 17*-Tour AD IZ 8S

- 19*-Tour AD DI 7S

- 21*-Tour AD UB 7X

- Rest of my setup is in the signature.

The 21* is usually the only UW that will be rotated for a different club such as a hybrid/UT/5 Iron. 

17* is primarily for the tee box unless I have a long distance into a par 5. From the tee box this club is great for me. Pretty much aim and hit and I am in the fairway or out of trouble with no issues. 19* and 21* are primarily from off the deck or 21* for long par 3. I have not had issues holding greens with them as well. I can say the theses clubs are incredible once paired with the correct shaft and delivery. These clubs are low spin and are mid to low launch rocket launchers in their stock setups. There is an adjustment phase for most people based on the feedback across this forum/thread. The 17* can be difficult to launch off of the deck as per the thread. So, for me that is why I use the 19* from the deck primarily, but it can be done with the 17* as well. I have made numerous par 5’s in 2 from the deck with the 17*. 

Overall, these have been game changer for me since I am not a great fairway wood player from the deck. I wanted to carry clubs with more versatility for me. I get along with hybrids and utility irons really well from the tee box and deck. So, these were a great tweener for me. I have hit some pretty crazy shots with these clubs and most people ask a lot about them when playing with randoms after a few holes. My regular playing partners have even added at least 1 UW to their bags as well. These clubs and my setup are not for everyone, but with the correct shaft and delivery they are incredible additions to a bag. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

On 9/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, hitnfades said:

I have not posted in this thread for awhile, but saw your post. I do not carry any true fairway woods anymore.  I have used this set up at the top of the bag since early 2022 besides for course setup or conditions. I play my UW’s .5” short from stock and a 9 gram weight with standard 1.5” tipping. The 17* UW kicked a Cally Epic Speed 3W with Tour AD UB 7x out of my bag really quick. I felt like the 3W played too close to my driver and I was prone to have a mishit here and there. 

- Apex UW's -

- 17*-Tour AD IZ 8S

- 19*-Tour AD DI 7S

- 21*-Tour AD UB 7X

The 21* is usually the only UW that will be rotated for a different club such as a hybrid/UT/5 Iron. 

17* is primarily for the tee box unless I have a long distance into a par 5. From the tee box this club is great for me. Pretty much aim and hit and I am in the fairway or out of trouble with no issues. 19* and 21* are primarily from off the deck or 21* for long par 3. I have not had issues holding greens with them as well. I can say the theses clubs are incredible once paired with the correct shaft and delivery. These clubs are low spin and are mid to low launch rocket launchers in their stock setups. There is an adjustment phase for most people based on the feedback across this forum/thread. The 17* can be difficult to launch off of the deck as per the thread. So, for me that is why I use the 19* from the deck primarily, but it can be done with the 17* as well. I have made numerous par 5’s in 2 from the deck with the 17*. 

Overall, these have been game changer for me since I am not a great fairway wood player from the deck. I wanted to carry clubs with more versatility for me. I get along with hybrids and utility irons really well from the tee box and deck. So, these were a great tweener for me. I have hit some pretty crazy shots with these clubs and most people ask a lot about them when playing with randoms after a few holes. My regular playing partners have even added at least 1 UW to their bags as well. These clubs and my setup are not for everyone, but with the correct shaft and delivery they are incredible additions to a bag. 

Why the different shafts in the UW's? I have a 21 and have found it to be super low launching/spinning. Which Tour Ad shaft do you feel helps with launch?

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / MP 223 6-PW + $ -TPR 120 / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

On 9/19/2023 at 8:26 PM, hitnfades said:

- Apex UW's -

- 17*-Tour AD IZ 8S

- 19*-Tour AD DI 7S

- 21*-Tour AD UB 7X

How's your gapping with the current set up? I go 17 to 21 in my set, and even then I'm not sure I have enough gap, let alone throwing a 19 in there.

23 hours ago, jbeer7375 said:

Why the different shafts in the UW's? I have a 21 and have found it to be super low launching/spinning. Which Tour Ad shaft do you feel helps with launch?

For me the IZ launches highest, but the DI will launch the ball as well. I play the IZ in my driver as well. As for shaft selection different objectives and feels for me. I would probably put the IZ in the 19* as well if I was changing a shaft out in this head. The UB is great in the 21* since it is a more linear version of the DI for me. The DI can go right if I get lazy during a swing and would be the only reason I would consider taking the DI out of this head.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bazzle18 said:

How's your gapping with the current set up? I go 17 to 21 in my set, and even then I'm not sure I have enough gap, let alone throwing a 19 in there.

No issues with gapping for me due to when I use them. 

I just replaced the shaft in my 17* UW.  I had the old shaft (stock Hzrdus black 80 6.5) removed.  I bought a .355 hand reamer and reamed the hosel out.  Bought a Kai’Li White hybrid 90TX shaft and had it installed yesterday.  

thing feels amazing!!  Played a bit with it on a Trackman at Golf Galaxy.  Have some golf planned for tomorrow too…so we’ll see how it goes on the course.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

Got a Callaway gift card from work, so decided to get a 23 UW 19* with a Ventus TR Red 8X to try against my original UW with a Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX.  First range session and the 23 UW goes higher and spins noticeably more.  Feel and sound are also very different with my preference being the original UW.  I'll give the 23 UW a few rounds in the bag but first impressions is that it's very different than the original; rounds on the course will show if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

4 hours ago, natesmith083 said:

Hit the 21* this weekend and fell in love. Immediately ordered one when I got home. Gonna give the stock MMT shaft a go.

I have the 80s in my 21* OG UW. Really like it. However, SW check showed I am at D0 instead of the stock D2. Ordered a replacement weight from billy bob's in hopes to gain some more control of this club and help my tempo.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Being messing with the top end of the bag all season:

Mini driver

17* UW

18* driving iron 

21* UW 

The mini driver is out, again. Just haven't found the consistency with it. Tried a half-dozen shafts all the way down to 42.75". Just never had two consecutive good rounds with this club. 

The 17* UW is back in the bag and it's better in all areas over the mini. With the 17* UW, I know what's coming; low-ish draw the runs. Tee it up a bit to improve the launch or tee it basically off the deck into the wind. Ran into issues with topping the ball and took it out and I think I've fixed that. Aim right rough and it'll be okay.

18* driving iron is back in the back too, since I draw the ball and won't get a gear-effect duck hook from a toe strike like I would with the driver, mini driver or UW. This is my keep it in play at all costs club. Cannot hit this off anything but a tee, however. 

21* UW is OUT. Never had a club so Jackal and Hyde as this one. Roping draws, monster right pushes, maybe it's low, maybe it's high. Couldn't hit it out of the rough. Couldn't get a handle on distance into par 5s. Struggled off the deck. Every 5th ball was a high hook that went 45-55y left. Really wanted to love this club, but it cost me so many strokes this year. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

23 hours ago, RCGA said:

Being messing with the top end of the bag all season:

Mini driver

17* UW

18* driving iron 

21* UW 

The mini driver is out, again. Just haven't found the consistency with it. Tried a half-dozen shafts all the way down to 42.75". Just never had two consecutive good rounds with this club. 

The 17* UW is back in the bag and it's better in all areas over the mini. With the 17* UW, I know what's coming; low-ish draw the runs. Tee it up a bit to improve the launch or tee it basically off the deck into the wind. Ran into issues with topping the ball and took it out and I think I've fixed that. Aim right rough and it'll be okay.

18* driving iron is back in the back too, since I draw the ball and won't get a gear-effect duck hook from a toe strike like I would with the driver, mini driver or UW. This is my keep it in play at all costs club. Cannot hit this off anything but a tee, however. 

21* UW is OUT. Never had a club so Jackal and Hyde as this one. Roping draws, monster right pushes, maybe it's low, maybe it's high. Couldn't hit it out of the rough. Couldn't get a handle on distance into par 5s. Struggled off the deck. Every 5th ball was a high hook that went 45-55y left. Really wanted to love this club, but it cost me so many strokes this year. 

Sounds familiar... although I'm probably not as good a ball striker as you are. I keep falling in and out of love with the 13* BRNR throughout the season. I ultimately had the best results with the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 at 3w length, for what it's worth. I play it as 3w replacement rather than driver replacement but given how long this club is, there are several courses where I won't even touch my driver at all. Yes, driver is still a bit longer, but the BRNR is still more consistent and only marginally shorter (like 1 club more into the green). 

The 21* OG UW is still in the bag and the club is incredibly versatile whenever you're striking is reasonably well. But this high hook that just keeps hooking miss sounds way too familiar. On good days, it's my fairway finder on short to medium length par 4s. On bad days, I lose several balls off the tee with it. I have the 24' 19* UW incoming though; received my shipping notice today. The 21* does not really fit in the current bag anymore gapping wise, because of the distance I gained with the T150 4i. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlpineGolf said:

Sounds familiar... although I'm probably not as good a ball striker as you are. I keep falling in and out of love with the 13* BRNR throughout the season. I ultimately had the best results with the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 at 3w length, for what it's worth. I play it as 3w replacement rather than driver replacement but given how long this club is, there are several courses where I won't even touch my driver at all. Yes, driver is still a bit longer, but the BRNR is still more consistent and only marginally shorter (like 1 club more into the green). 

The 21* OG UW is still in the bag and the club is incredibly versatile whenever you're striking is reasonably well. But this high hook that just keeps hooking miss sounds way too familiar. On good days, it's my fairway finder on short to medium length par 4s. On bad days, I lose several balls off the tee with it. I have the 24' 19* UW incoming though; received my shipping notice today. The 21* does not really fit in the current bag anymore gapping wise, because of the distance I gained with the T150 4i. 

Sounds like me with the 21* as well although I can play for it now. Most of the time it is due to me pulling my arms in at impact. With my swing work and now I just purchased a heavier weight from Billy Bobs to try and give me better feel. Hoping this will help.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

So is the consensus that the new version launches higher and spins more than the OG version? I have the OG 17* and 21*. I don't have the 21* tipped quite as much, but they're night and day in how they launch. I love the 17* off the tee because it hits low spinning bullets, but it's pure dread trying to cover water with it in to a Par 5. I'm thinking of either trying the new version in 17* or get a 19* in the OG. But I'm afraid it and the 21* OG would perform too similarly. 

Edited by coreyhr

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be on the UW train soon. Will be receiving a "like new" 17 and 21 of the 2024 UW from Cally Europe pre-owned. Excited, to say the least. I have a Rogue ST 7 wood which simply hits too high with my swing to get the distance out of it that I need although it even plays over 42". I expect the 21 UW to be launching in a better window and getting about 6-8y more out of it even though the shaft will be about an inch shorter. 

I hope the 17 uw will be low enough spin such that it can be the tee club monster that I am after. I tend to hit shorter shafted clubs better and have high hopes for this one. Both are shafted with the Tensei blue 75 in stiff, similar to what I have in the rogue 7 wood where I like the feel of it. Not sure how much the shaft contributes to too high a launch / spin I am seeing there.  

Really excited about this, might drop the 3w alltogether or possibly add a mini driver / shorter shafted 2 wood for tee only purposes. 

Johny Wunder explains the differences between the 21 and 24 versions. The way I understand it, distance in the 21 is created by lower spin. Similar distance in the 24 is generated by increasing spin while increasing ball speed. If that indeed plays out like that on the course it should be a win win. But slightly concerned about the higher spin, especially for the 17d UW 24. Any experiences?

1 hour ago, Whatnogarnish said:

Spin on my OG 19 degree is around 3500. What’s the consensus for ideal rates? I have a fairly low spin shaft in mine. Tensei Pro Orange. 

It pretty much all depends on what your goal with the club is.

A 19* is like a 5 wood but people play 5 woods two ways - to hit and hold greens or just advance the ball and off the tee. 3500 is fine for the latter but not great for holding greens. If your goal is to hit greens on a par 5 getting that spin up while also looking at height and descent angle would be better. 3500 is 3 wood spin range and would be fine off the tee.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 10/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, raspymcnasty said:

how does the UW21 compare to a hybrid 3H/4H like a king tec?

I can comment since I currently got both UW21 and a 3H 19* king tec

In terms of straight yards for yards its not even close the UW21 just blows it away. On trackman it was an easy 10 yards in carry behind. Granite the UW is longer than the king tec but even in the same length it would still be well behind. The UW is just hot off the face. I dont know other clubs in this part of the bag or loft that consistently get 1.5 smash.

As in golf its not all about yardage. That hot springy face with neutral cg you need good face angle control because it will go wherever you point that face which is a good thing and can be a bad thing on bad days.

The king tec is way easier to hit and tends to stay straight on medicore swings. The length also contributes to this but length for length it would still take the nod.

Surprisingly looks at address in terms of profile are very similar with the king tec having more sharper corners heel and toe compared to the more rounded look of the UW.

Sound kind of reverberate from the difference in distance and the UW feeling hot. When centered the UW just sounds like it took off with mild ting. Its a very callaway metal wood feel and sound IFYKYK.

Take it for what its worth. UW is hot if you can control your face king tec is just a solid performer. 

• Like 2

Incredible sale going on at Callawaypreowned, I just ordered a 21* w/Ventus Blue 7x for $295 in "like-new" condition. They're also on sale for as low as $150 w/stock shafts (hzrdus rdx black) in "like new" condition. Pretty crazy deal tbh, and i expect that many of these aren't used whatsoever and just extra inventory as they're transitioning to the updated 23' UW.

Jump on it while ya'll can! I'm excited to say the least 😆

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Read some things that OG was anti left for its category.  Is the new one as well?

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

12 hours ago, Howie said:

Based on my play with both, the newer one is arguably fade biased. 

Thank you!  And just to clarify, how would you compare new one to OG … are they both equally fade biased or does one have more bias than the other

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft