2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

On 8/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, mootrail said:

Clearly the OG UWs launch and spin low, partially (mostly?) because the lofts are so jacked.  Cally's own Johnny Wonder said the OG 17° was really around 14°, so it's no leap for anyone who plays the UW that the 19° & 21° are also jacked.  I couldn't play the 19°, but the 21° is money.  Longer and lower than my Cally 18° 5 wood and maybe a touch shorter than my Cally 16° 4 wood.  Lower loft than stated makes total sense.

On the new UW, J'dub said the real difference is better turf interaction.  Yes, they will launch higher and spin more because lofts are probably truer to the stated loft and maybe even reverse jacked!  Johnny's new 19° UW is 20.5°.

Back when the OGs were shinny and new, Johnny was gushing about their incredible turf interaction.  The OGs works great from poor lies and I don't see that magically getting much better.  It's OG all day.

My 19 measured at just under 18.5.  I'd guess if they're like anything else, you buy a 19 and it could be anywhere from 17 up to 21. 

I know I said I took mine out a month or two back for a Stealth, I keep going back and forth with it.  UW is a much better off the tee club, and a much easier club to change trajectory with.  On rounds I don't have it with me, I find myself missing it pretty quickly. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Picked up a 17* of the OG w/ HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70S after seeing the look of the new model. Very very fun club to hit and perfect look at address. Hits the window I wish I could get my 5 wood to hit. 

CALLAWAY Paradym Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 10.5* /  Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

TITLEIST TSR2+ 13* / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65S

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* / Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7S

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 4i / Fujikura Pro 95i

PING i230 5-PW / True Temper Project X IO 6.0

PING Glide 4.0 50S / Ping Z-Z115 W

BETTINARDI HLX 5.0 Oil-Rubbed Bronze PVD 54RJ and 58RJ / KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black

BRANDON MATTHEW Truxton Wide-Blade Carbon Patina

TITLEIST Pro V1x

WITB LINK

Have been wanting to try this with a heavier shaft. 70g is way too light. Had a AD DI 8TX and felt that was even too light. Not sure who makes anything non tour issue in 9x or even 10x other Ventus line. Would want minimum 95g shaft in this I think. Current 19* Stealth hybrid has 100x Thump shaft. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

On 8/21/2023 at 8:06 PM, ilikegolf26 said:

Have been wanting to try this with a heavier shaft. 70g is way too light. Had a AD DI 8TX and felt that was even too light. Not sure who makes anything non tour issue in 9x or even 10x other Ventus line. Would want minimum 95g shaft in this I think. Current 19* Stealth hybrid has 100x Thump shaft. 

Yeah you're pretty limited. UW is a .335 hosel so ventus wise you can only go high as ventus black 8x (which does weigh close to 90g). 

Ventus 9x and 10x are hybrid .370 shafts as so is the thump shaft. 

If its too light the best thing you can do is put a heavier weight on the bottom. I messed around with that and tried a 15g in it but went back to the standard 7g as I am pretty dialed in with mine. 

On 8/21/2023 at 10:06 PM, ilikegolf26 said:

IIRC, the MMT will be available in a 9X at no upcharge. Can't promise that, though.

Edited by bcflyguy1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

21 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Yeah you're pretty limited. UW is a .335 hosel so ventus wise you can only go high as ventus black 8x (which does weigh close to 90g). 

Ventus 9x and 10x are hybrid .370 shafts as so is the thump shaft. 

If its too light the best thing you can do is put a heavier weight on the bottom. I messed around with that and tried a 15g in it but went back to the standard 7g as I am pretty dialed in with mine. 

There’s a Ventus 9x in Blue, Red and Black with a .335 and a 10x in Black. They’re fairway shafts. 

I usually don’t  like the feel of adding a bunch of weight to the head. 

2 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

There’s a Ventus 9x in Blue, Red and Black with a .335 and a 10x in Black. They’re fairway shafts. 

I usually don’t  like the feel of adding a bunch of weight to the head. 

Oh wow really well news to me at the same time not surprised. Are those for normal consumer retail or is that a tour issue and specialty shop orders only?

Is the Callaway UW mainly for really, really good players?  Or, can an average hacker like me benefit from it and use it without looking like a fool?

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

4 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent PL Blue

7 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent PL Blue

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

1 hour ago, Kai Slater said:

Is the Callaway UW mainly for really, really good players?  Or, can an average hacker like me benefit from it and use it without looking like a fool?

I haven't gotten along with mine. I find the leading edge digs alot. Unless I set the face very open.  I can only hit slices with it. I mainly play a draw.

Not really sure what to make of it. I have the same shaft in a f6 baffle and get along great with it. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

2 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

high capper here. The UW is more useful for me than a hybrid or and iron. I have to focus on my tempo when swinging, otherwise I can get hooky. For most part this club is very impressive. I game the 21*

image.png.97e70832a797d492e44c47714f164fcd.png

Edited by Rbsiedsc
  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

high capper here. The UW is more useful for me than a hybrid or and iron. I have to focus on my tempo when swinging, otherwise I can get hooky. For most part this club is very impressive. I game the 21*

image.png.97e70832a797d492e44c47714f164fcd.png

Thanks for chiming in with your experience.  Right now, I have a Titleist 818 H1 hybrid in the 23* that is going along pretty well for me most of the time.

• Like 1

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

3 hours ago, Bobb3rdown said:

I haven't gotten along with mine. I find the leading edge digs alot. Unless I set the face very open.  I can only hit slices with it. I mainly play a draw.

Not really sure what to make of it. I have the same shaft in a f6 baffle and get along great with it. 

It's one of the most anti-draw clubs I've ever played. I have to work very hard to get it to draw on me. But that's why I like it more than most hybrids.

But it feels so good and has worked great for me. Haven't had any issues with digging, but I'm also a "picker" with fairway woods and hybrids. It is also very forgiving on the toe side which is my miss. 

41 minutes ago, Razor4888 said:

Who is this club for? Is it for people that don't hit woods very well? Do you hit down with it or sweep the ball?

My TrackMan session was down 1-2° with one shot 1°up, I think from the tee. You can hit down or sweep it. Plays like a fairway wood

7 hours ago, ND2005 said:

It's one of the most anti-draw clubs I've ever played. I have to work very hard to get it to draw on me. But that's why I like it more than most hybrids.

But it feels so good and has worked great for me. Haven't had any issues with digging, but I'm also a "picker" with fairway woods and hybrids. It is also very forgiving on the toe side which is my miss. 

That's interesting. I'm also more of a "picker" and I still game the 21* w/ 70g Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX. It is one of the most versatile clubs I have ever played. You can play high draws / fades over and around trees from 235y out and actually get the ball to stop on the green.

On the flipside, it's actually almost too easy to move it in either direction. This is why some people might call it unforgiving. I totally see why it has been excellent for many pros with their level of consistent ball striking though. My typical pull hook miss can result in lost balls with the UW unfortunately.  

• Like 2

New version of the UW, have to think about this again... what has everyone concluded regarding the 17* as a viable 4 wood replacement? Can it be your only fairway wood? Thanks!

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

5 minutes ago, Potch said:

New version of the UW, have to think about this again... what has everyone concluded regarding the 17* as a viable 4 wood replacement? Can it be your only fairway wood? Thanks!

I'm very interested in this as well.  Keep me posted!!!

• Like 2

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

6 hours ago, Potch said:

It is really player dependent on who fits into that 17* UW. Personally for me I could not make it work to fit it in my bag. 

For how great the 21* is the 17* was just a unitasker and all it wanted it to do was hit low laser beams. I have tried a myriad of shafts, changed the weights, and at different lengths but to no avail. 

I have heard that a player is only supposed to be fit for one of the lofts and was not intended to carry more than one. I believe that to be mostly true. If the 17* happens to be the loft that fits you best it will be a great club but I know that it was not the right loft for me YMMV

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Potch said:

7 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

I'm very interested in this as well.  Keep me posted!!!

Same.

Does the new 17° UW have any type of launch? 

• Like 1

This came early, can't wait to hit it tomorrow!

IMG_3964.jpeg

IMG_3962.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3965.jpeg

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I’m seriously considering a 17 degree UW playing .5” long… I suspect it will hang with a clean 3 wood strike. But with more consistency due to the extra loft and shorter length…

I have Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 degree) that I hit pretty well, but find it goes almost too far. I can hit it 265-270 yards (off the tee) which isn’t really “playing it safe” when needed compared to a driver that goes 285-290. 

I’m thinking the UW 17 will be 4-wood ish.  Could be the perfect solution.  

Anyone else considered this as a 3/4 wood replacement?

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST MAX w/MMT 60 X

Fairway - Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS w/ MMT 70 X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 3H w/ Evenflow Black 85 X

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore 50 / 54 / 58 w/ TT Spinners

Putter(s) - Evnroll ER2 Blackout | Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven DB Tour Line

i hit 10 balls with one at a PGASS in 19° since I needed to buy a putter grip, and I had 15 minutes to burn before picking my mother up at the airport on Wednesday 

I found it to be too long of a playing length for me personally. I play my 18° 5w at 41.5” and the UW was the same length. I had to choke up 1 to 1-1/2 inches to feel comfortable over the ball to use the UW as I would in my bag as a hybrid, rather than a wood. 

At the much shorter length, I was able to hit it like I would a hybrid with some expected results. It was in the same peak height window as my irons for the most part, (I am a pretty high ball flight guy of around 120ft) it fluctuated between 3600-4400rpm on the 3 or 4 balls I hit decent out of 10 total, since I was without a warm up, just firing away cold 

Its hard to compare it to my 5w since I haven’t been on a GC Quad, or Trackman with my sticks in ages, all I have to have for comparable data is my Rapsodo MLM from the local driving range with Pinnacle range balls, but if I were to compare results of the Callaway UW to my TEE 5w, then, they were similar. 

Not apples to apples comparison since it’s two devices, one with Pinnacle range balls (Rapsodo)  the other with a Titleist Tour Soft (PGASS), but the overall distance was about the same, which if accurate, is impressive considering it’s 1° weaker loft, and 1 inch shorter since I choked up on the UW, although my 5w was around 6 mph faster, 1°  loft stronger, 15ft higher apex (with range balls on a different device) 

The UW made me want to bring my 5w in, to get an apples to apples comparison 

The UW wont knock the 5w out of the bag, but years ago I didn’t hit fairway woods well, so I just hit hybrids.  The 17° UW would have definitely been in the bag, but I would have had to cut it down an inch to play it, although it may still go 4w distance at 17° at 40 inches…. Impressive! 

As an option to bomb it out there long as possible, for a guy who has a hard time hitting woods, the Callaway UW is a top pick, but to me, it’s just a really good hybrid, with too long of a shaft. 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 1

Hit my best shot with this club to date. Amazing high flight and looks like plenty of spin. IMG_8482.jpeg.34853d18fbb54862a51121ad01e25226.jpegIMG_8481.jpeg.661921aa8bdfd04b5e5189d185788264.jpegIMG_8486.png.61d99c8f53920a6c3383977b57be41a5.png

• Like 1

My playing partner has a new 19* UW with MMT 70 R. I'm playing S400/X100 and usually Stiff for Woods. I tried his UW and was shocked at HOW far it went with a regular shaft. It refused to fade or slice with MMT 70 R for easy 240+ yards. I had so much fun and shot one over in the back nine using UW only. I will exchange Ping G430 2H for 17* UW with 70 R shaft. 😁 I wanted two primary clubs for tee based on course layouts.

• Like 1

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1