2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

On 11/7/2023 at 4:30 PM, Potch said:

I was just looking at the OG and 24 heads side by side in a store, and to my eye the OG sat a fair amount more open than the 24. Is that consensus or just me?  Just ordered a 17* OG with Ventus Blue 7X from CPO based on that comparison. 

Finally got to try mine out down in Florida this past weekend. One driving range session and one round in, I’m thrilled with how I’ve hit it so far. Based on the previous reviews of the OG 17*, was a little worried about elevating the ball and/or having to go really hard after it. Turns out it was a non issue for me. Normal swing worked just fine, ball flight was exactly what I wanted - more penetrating than my 5 wood but plenty high. It’s going to replace my 5 wood - 90% of the time that spot in my bag is for tee shots, and the stronger ball flight is ideal for that. Hit it 7 times off the tee and never got in any real trouble. I’m sold.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

Just got a 19 degree to replace my 5 wood and possibly my 3 hybrid. It’s definitely going to go further than my hybrid but probably can take some off to hit it shorter. Liked how it looked at the local shop but no demos to try out. Hope it hits as good as it sets up. Kind of reminds me of the golden age Adams hybrids. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got an OG Apex UW 21* off CPO for $180- it came wrapped in plastic (brand new). They’re still selling at PGA SS for the same price as the new version. I’m wondering if I should exchange the OG model for the new 2024? I wouldn’t mind some additional forgiveness if that’s the case with the new model. On the other hand, the OG sits open and may be better for my left miss. Not sure if the sole is really better on the new one also.

Anyone who has played both models that could give me feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have the new model in the UW, could someone guide me as to where I can find a lighter round weight like a couple of grams or so, the stock one is 7g. This is just to lower the swing weight. I tried a weight from an older version and they don't fit. I did check Billy Bob and they don't seem to have the weights for the newer version listed there. 

Edited by GolferSim

Has anyone tested the new model in 21* versus a 7w and/or 4H?

I have played a Ping 4H in that spot for several seasons now, but I’m considering the new UW with higher spin.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

10 hours ago, JMB3 said:

Has anyone tested the new model in 21* versus a 7w and/or 4H?

I have played a Ping 4H in that spot for several seasons now, but I’m considering the new UW with higher spin.

Yes I have tested it against a 7w and for me the difference is clear. I get a significantly more forward flight from the uw, proper stopping power as well. Versatility on the uw for me is quite a bit better as well. Flighting it lower is a good bit easier with the uw.

The 7w is a 1 trick pony in my hands: high no roll and a right to left flight. great if that is what the shot asks for, but only then. Also the longer shaft makes it less easy to play for me. Played national championships in Portugal on a true links course, the 7w was useless. That triggered it getting replaced with the 21uw

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimi Thing said:

Yes I have tested it against a 7w and for me the difference is clear. I get a significantly more forward flight from the uw, proper stopping power as well. Versatility on the uw for me is quite a bit better as well. Flighting it lower is a good bit easier with the uw.

The 7w is a 1 trick pony in my hands: high no roll and a right to left flight. great if that is what the shot asks for, but only then. Also the longer shaft makes it less easy to play for me. Played national championships in Portugal on a true links course, the 7w was useless. That triggered it getting replaced with the 21uw

This is very helpful, thanks.  Every off-season I get smitten with the idea of a 7w, but I have had the same exact experience.  I definitely want something more versatile in that spot, and something I can still play on windy days.  I somewhat worry about the launch/spin of the UW in that spot, but I have to imagine the new one spins at least as much as a similarly lofted hybrid would.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

It is easy to launch, but in reality I don’t have issues launching any club so far with the delivery I have. When it comes to spin, seems to be fine to me. Not crazy low, my pxg 3 hybrid surely was  low spinning. I never had the impression this was a knuckleball club. I am looking for a different shaft though and formulate a question about that once I have gone through the thread one more time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMB3 said:

This is very helpful, thanks.  Every off-season I get smitten with the idea of a 7w, but I have had the same exact experience.  I definitely want something more versatile in that spot, and something I can still play on windy days.  I somewhat worry about the launch/spin of the UW in that spot, but I have to imagine the new one spins at least as much as a similarly lofted hybrid would.

The UW (new and old) is the most neutral of club in that loft you can get. Its flight is neutral mid with the given spin of loft given. With that since its CG is neutral and smack in the middle it has the ability to manipulate and thus more workable than either of the two. However workable does correlate with forgiveness and is definitely not as forgiving as a ping hybrid in addition to be longer. 

• Like 1

I just ordered the 2021 19 degree UW via the Carl's Golfland sale.

I'm a bit worried about the PX Black shaft since I've never tried a PX shaft that worked for me

Every high lofted fairway wood or hybrid I've hit wants to go left, even Pings opened up and flat, so I'm hoping this is the unicorn.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:00 PM, slipstitchpass said:

Important question...I am not much of a "stock" headcover guy - what headcovers work well for the UW? I find the hybrid ones I own too small and the fairways a little large...lol.

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

On 12/4/2023 at 12:00 PM, slipstitchpass said:

Important question...I am not much of a "stock" headcover guy - what headcovers work well for the UW? I find the hybrid ones I own too small and the fairways a little large...lol.

I just picked up a Dormie hybrid cover for my 21* and it fits perfectly.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

15 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I just ordered the 2021 19 degree UW via the Carl's Golfland sale.

I'm a bit worried about the PX Black shaft since I've never tried a PX shaft that worked for me

Every high lofted fairway wood or hybrid I've hit wants to go left, even Pings opened up and flat, so I'm hoping this is the unicorn.

UW sits as neutral as any lofted fw/hyb. No draw or fade bias. Prob one of the reasons they did not make the new version with an adjustable hosel. You get exactly what you put it in. 

If you hit this one consistently left i am afraid it's not cause of the arrows 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

UW sits as neutral as any lofted fw/hyb. No draw or fade bias. Prob one of the reasons they did not make the new version with an adjustable hosel. You get exactly what you put it in. 

If you hit this one consistently left i am afraid it's not cause of the arrows 🤷‍♂️

I'll echo this as well.  Very neutral without bias.  I struggled for years with the left miss with other hybrids but have had no issues with this with the apex UW.

• Like 1

Neutral bias is music to my ears.

Arccos data is showing me that tee shots on short par 4's and 220+ yard approaches are my weaknesses in the long game, and those are both in the FW / hybrid part of the bag.

If I put a stock swing on it, I make good contact but it goes left. If I fight the lefts then I lose the strike so I end up chasing my tail. Only part of the bag with this issue.

• Like 1

Thinking about getting the old one with the px shaft. probably at 19*
Will buy it online so won’t be able to try it before. A nearby store has it in 6.0, but not able to try it…

Question is - Not sure whether to go for the 6.0 or 6.5.

Any recommendations or experience with the shaft in general? How stiff does it play compared to other shafts/flex?

I am around 110 ss, mid launch.

Play AD-DI X in woods and kbs tour-v 125 x in irons 

Ideally would prefer to get fit, but am willing to give it a shot.

thanks!

On 12/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, MartinMertens said:

Question is - Not sure whether to go for the 6.0 or 6.5.

Any recommendations or experience with the shaft in general? How stiff does it play compared to other shafts/flex?

Its negligible. You should be able to adjust and play either. Your store has a 6.0 for a good price just grab it. 

• Thanks 1

Just got my 2024 19° UW. First impressions: prefer the look of the older model but this one still looks great. Swing is in a slump right now, but this thing still feels fantastic. Excited to see how it performs when I'm swinging it better. Never had the old model, so can't compare between the two. Happy new years

I bought the 17 deg new model and is better looking and feels much better than the original. Really impressed on the non-hook bias playability and flat traj. I am old school and love the smaller head fairway woods and this is replacing an old Cobra F8 Plus.

TaylorMade QI10 9 Ventus TR Blue 6X

TaylorMade Mini 13.5 Kai'Li White 7TX

or Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Pro White 70TX

APEX UW 17 MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro MMT 125TX

Vokey and MG4 wedges

TaylorMade GTX

Anyone see the 15° triple diamond AI Smoke "U" on the other thread?  Is that really an adjustable, even lower-lofted UW?  I'd love to see the specs on that and see if they are more "fairway" wood-y or hybrid-y!

Cripes, I just got my Apex UW and now I wants MOAR, my precious!

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I had the OG UW for a short time and didn’t get along with it. I always seemed to fight missing right with it and got rid of it.

I got a 19* new UW 1* upright with the LinQ Purple 75 and it has been a game changer for me. With the new UW, I don’t miss right anymore and can work it both ways. It also feels much better to me and will stay in the bag for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Coffelall said:

How far does the OG 19 go? Longer then a regular 3 hybrid? Like a 4 Wood?

Yes the 19* is almost like a 3/4 wood from most people's feedback.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 9/19/2023 at 6:26 PM, hitnfades said:

I have not posted in this thread for awhile, but saw your post. I do not carry any true fairway woods anymore.  I have used this set up at the top of the bag since early 2022 besides for course setup or conditions. I play my UW’s .5” short from stock and a 9 gram weight with standard 1.5” tipping. The 17* UW kicked a Cally Epic Speed 3W with Tour AD UB 7x out of my bag really quick. I felt like the 3W played too close to my driver and I was prone to have a mishit here and there. 

- Epic Max LS 10.5* Tour AD IZ 6X

- Apex UW's -

- 17*-Tour AD IZ 8S

- 19*-Tour AD DI 7S

- 21*-Tour AD UB 7X

- Rest of my setup is in the signature.

The 21* is usually the only UW that will be rotated for a different club such as a hybrid/UT/5 Iron. 

17* is primarily for the tee box unless I have a long distance into a par 5. From the tee box this club is great for me. Pretty much aim and hit and I am in the fairway or out of trouble with no issues. 19* and 21* are primarily from off the deck or 21* for long par 3. I have not had issues holding greens with them as well. I can say the theses clubs are incredible once paired with the correct shaft and delivery. These clubs are low spin and are mid to low launch rocket launchers in their stock setups. There is an adjustment phase for most people based on the feedback across this forum/thread. The 17* can be difficult to launch off of the deck as per the thread. So, for me that is why I use the 19* from the deck primarily, but it can be done with the 17* as well. I have made numerous par 5’s in 2 from the deck with the 17*. 

Overall, these have been game changer for me since I am not a great fairway wood player from the deck. I wanted to carry clubs with more versatility for me. I get along with hybrids and utility irons really well from the tee box and deck. So, these were a great tweener for me. I have hit some pretty crazy shots with these clubs and most people ask a lot about them when playing with randoms after a few holes. My regular playing partners have even added at least 1 UW to their bags as well. These clubs and my setup are not for everyone, but with the correct shaft and delivery they are incredible additions to a bag. 

Have a 17 Uw tour ad. Bb and it so freaking good . 

• Like 1

Took my new 21* UW (prior gen) out to the range for the first time..and wow this thing is HOT and unbelievably easy to hit - much easier than my hybrid despite being 1” longer in length

I was worried the gapping with my 22* 4iron would be too tight, but this thing is about as long as my 5wood

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

I just picked up the new 19 degree UW today.  Wow, this thing is so much better for me than the OG. Definitely not as open and the MMT keeps the spin up versus the low spin of the OG.  It gaps perfectly to my Qi10 tour 4 hybrid.  Now I need to find a 3 wood.  Last club to bag.  

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-7 Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Mizuno 243 8-PW Nippon Modus 120 Stiff Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 46.10, 52.10, 58.06 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Just picked up the new version at 19 degrees with stock stiff shaft, and all I can say is HOLY F****** S*** WHERE HAS THIS THING BEEN ALL MY LIFE? 

Yes, if you see my post history I'm pretty sure I commented a couple of years ago saying I hated the OG UW after trying it, well my swing has changed and I really hate anything with HZRDS shafts in it. 

I've been struggling with a 4 wood in this slot for a long time, to the point where I just took it out of the bag and had an empty slot. It was extremely nice to be able to hit this distance window without even a hint of going left. My usual miss is left and it's extremely bad with 4 and 7 woods. 

UW went long and straight today or slight fade. Wonderful piercing trajectory but spins plenty. Hit it 8 times during my round without ever having hit it before (not even at the range), and 6 of those were very very good shots. My 4 wood had about a 5% success rate for a straight shot. 

This will really change my game. Today was windy so I needed it a lot, but generally it will be used a second shot on par 5's club, or a long par 3 club, both areas where I often sacrifice a lot of distance by laying back with 5 hybrid because I can't rely on my 4 or 7 woods. 

It's only been 1 round with this club and I'm now all in on fade bias (or at least non-left) clubs haha, anyone got any other favourites?

Currently playing TSR2 11 degree, UW 19, [GAP HERE], G430 5 hybrid, 5-U i210, Glide 56-60. Looking to fill the gap between UW 19 and 5 hybrid, the logical choice is probably G430 4 hybrid, but any tips on maybe slotting the new 21 degree UW in there? Shorter shaft maybe?

Man I am pumped if you can't already tell!!!!

• Like 1