Have you replaced irons with hybrids?

playit

Not really since my set doesn't have a 3 iron. But my GAPR is in place of a 3 iron if I had one.

For me it was distance gapping more than anything. Not really shaping shots with it but it goes far and usually straight.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I put g710 in the bag 4-U. So, i kinda have hybrids all the way to my wedges.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I replaced my hybrids with a Mavrik Max 4 iron!  I have a very good idea where the ball will go when I swing it.

I learned to swing a 3 iron as a little kid and never forgot how to swing a long iron. Advantage of learning golf an an early age.

Which means I can swing an iron as hard as any other club and still hit the sweet spot when playing on the course.  More reliably.

I can switch between 22 and 32 degrees to compensate for the rolling terrain on the course I play.

It is hard enough playing in the fall leaves that I decided to simplify my game as much as possible and play a minimalist bag with irons and a putter.

Edited by ShortGolfer

TM RBZ 3h at 19*, though I would classify it more like a 5 wood replacement rather than 3i, it's also closer to a wood in terms of shape and size. Given that, in case I replace it, I would also probably look at a shorter shafted 5 wood rather than a hybrid.

Then I have Callaway Rogue 4h at 21* in the bag to blend in with my irons starting at 23*.

Edited by MrCook

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos

I replace 4 and 5 irons with hybrids couple years ago.  Recently I've been using a 7 and 9 wood in place of the hybrids.  So far it's even better.  But the hybrids are better for me than a 4 and 5 iron.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

14 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

I replace 4 and 5 irons with hybrids couple years ago.  Recently I've been using a 7 and 9 wood in place of the hybrids.  So far it's even better.  But the hybrids are better for me than a 4 and 5 iron.  

7wd - 9wd - 5hyb - then irons

It's makes things so much easier

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I never went to a 3-iron; my G400 hybrid (1/2" short and D4 SW) is more consistent and great in deep grass too. 

I have tried replacing my 4 iron with a hybrid but haven't fond anything that does the trick.  Not even a more forgiving, GI or SGI iron has beat out my MP20 MMC, but I wish it would. For example, I am not sure I would feel comfortable carrying 200 over water with the 4-iron.  Hybrid?  Sure. Just wish I could find a 4H that did the same as my 3H.  

17 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I have tried replacing my 4 iron with a hybrid but haven't fond anything that does the trick.  Not even a more forgiving, GI or SGI iron has beat out my MP20 MMC,

i play HMB’s which are the same loft as the MMC’s and I went with a 23* Adams Super 9031 Proto that works really well. It’s not going to launch the ball to the moon, or be a hot faced ball speed monster, but it will fly a little higher, and stop a little shorter than a 4 iron. 

I play it with a OG Hzrdus black 6.0 and play it at the same length i would play my 4 iron. It’s the most iron like hybrid I’ve found. The Tour edge EXS pro is pretty good as well, but it will fly a bit higher. The Adams kicked my (2016) Callaway Apex out of my bag, and the Tour Edge would have if I bought one as well. 

I replaced my 3 iron for a 3 hybrid many years ago. It was a Nickent 4DX and was incredible easy to hit from everywhere, even fairway bunkers. 

Nowadays I'm using a 5 wood and next a 4 iron, which have a 20 yards gap. And then the 4 iron and 5 iron have only a 5-8 yards gap.

Sometimes I think If I have to put a 3 hybrid again, or learn how to hit a 4 iron properly.... 😄

10 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

i play HMB’s which are the same loft as the MMC’s and I went with a 23* Adams Super 9031 Proto that works really well. It’s not going to launch the ball to the moon, or be a hot faced ball speed monster, but it will fly a little higher, and stop a little shorter than a 4 iron. 

I play it with a OG Hzrdus black 6.0 and play it at the same length i would play my 4 iron. It’s the most iron like hybrid I’ve found. The Tour edge EXS pro is pretty good as well, but it will fly a bit higher. The Adams kicked my (2016) Callaway Apex out of my bag, and the Tour Edge would have if I bought one as well. 

I need to find a 4H that matches my G400.  Most of the used ones I have seen are built for higher handicappers and are the type of "hot" hybrid that I am trying to avoid.  I would love one that matches my G400 but is simply higher in loft and shorter.  

Does this one (Adams) sound like it may work?

A long time ago I replaced my 2 iron with a hybrid when my two options with the 2 iron became low straight and low crooked! Lol. I can hit every shot in the book with my hybrid, low, high, cut, draw, great out of the rough and off the tee. It’s a scoring club in my book. I also carry a 3 hybrid depending on the golf course. They are like cheating in my opinion. It makes the shots from 220-245 so much easier. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

The Callaway Apex UW at 19* -- so, sorta/mostly a hybrid? -- has definitely taken my 3 iron spot. I've been trying to find the right hybrid to replace my 4 iron permanently, but it's the spot in my bag that's been changing the most and I haven't really landed on the right solutino yet.

I've been testing a lot, but I'm finding that most of the offerings from the major brands this year are too hot. Like, even at 23-24 degrees, they're closer to that 5 wood/3 hybrid spot that's now my Apex UW, rather than bridging the gap to my 5 iron. We get a lot of wind around here, so a hybrid with any more loft than that would go too high to make sense for me on most days. 

My latest experiment is with the Sim2 Rescue at 23 degrees. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably look at super-chunky utility irons like maybe a u505 or one of the Srixons. 

I know a lot of guys have done things like putting heavier iron-length shafts into older/less hot hybrid heads. So that's an option too!

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

16 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I need to find a 4H that matches my G400.  Most of the used ones I have seen are built for higher handicappers and are the type of "hot" hybrid that I am trying to avoid.  I would love one that matches my G400 but is simply higher in loft and shorter.  

Does this one (Adams) sound like it may work?

Absolutely. 

it’s the lowest flighted hybrid I have found. 

The Tour Edge EXS Pro hybrid is not bad either, or the Titleist 818h2 or the Old Taylormade Rescue Mid are about the only hybrids I’ve hit that flight down enough. 

I had a Steel shaft in my Adams 9031 that matched my irons until recently. 

Since I play 105g shafts in my irons, the jump down to 85g was seamless. 

if you play a heavier shaft in your irons 120g+ it might be easier for you to flight down a 22-24* hybrid with a 100+ gram shaft in it, and steel if necessary since it is after all replacing an iron. Dropping down 15g is one thing, but dropping 40-50g may affect your delivery/trajectory as always YMMV! 

1 minute ago, j_murphy said:

Currently game a Ping G425 4 Hybrid & G425 2 Crossover Iron 

Just curious, can you share the distance differences you get with those? I'd assume much, much lower trajectory on the crossover too right?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

10 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Just curious, can you share the distance differences you get with those? I'd assume much, much lower trajectory on the crossover too right?

I carry G425 Irons 5-UW and I use my 4 Hybrid for 180-200 YD shots

I also carry a  5 Wood for 200 YD / High lofted shots

You are correct the 2 Crossover is a lower trajectory 225 YD shot with less stopping power.

This club was a recent addition to the bag and really have been enjoying early range / practice sessions with it. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 Max 14.5

Ping G430 Max 17.5

Ping G430 4hy 22.5

Ping i525 Green Dot 

Ping Glide 4.0 E Eye 2 

Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Tour 

31 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Absolutely. 

The Tour Edge EXS Pro hybrid is not bad either, or the Titleist 818h2 or the Old Taylormade Rescue Mid are about the only hybrids I’ve hit that flight down enough. 

if you play a heavier shaft in your irons 120g+ it might be easier for you to flight down a 22-24* hybrid with a 100+ gram shaft in it, and steel if necessary since it is after all replacing an iron. Dropping down 15g is one thing, but dropping 40-50g may affect your delivery/trajectory as always YMMV! 

9031 are also one of the lower spin - low launch, low spin - best be bringing the heat swing speed to make these work

My son swings 120 and his 20* is a cannon like no other....but it does not hold firm greens that well

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I’m around Tour Average speed with my driver 112-114mph, but I agree with the lowest launching for me, however I don’t find them to be low spin. 

I haven’t been on a GC Quad in a while but if I remember correctly with the 23* my ball speed was 142-144mph, spin was between 43-4700rpm. I can get a lower spin out of it if I hit it high on the face, but generally im not hitting it off a tee.  I typically will flight it around 115ft high while my irons are around 105ft high, so my landing angle is around 48*  I can get the spin down to 3600rpm off the tee which will carry another 10y and roll another 5y maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

i change out my SiM Max 3H out for my TCB 3i if i'm playing a tighter course that i want to hit 3H off the tee more often. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Absolutely. 

I have a 818 H2: just need to find a 4H as I love the 3H. I moved to a Ping G400 as I wanted the shorter shaft and a guy here was selling it for $100.  85X on the 3H, so probably 95X on the 4H would be perfect.  I play DG120 X100.  I will see if I can find an Adams 

I am just looking for the same feel I have in my 3H, but in a 4H that I can either choke down on and send 200 or full swing at 225 carry. 

My MP20 MMC 4-iron feels great when I flush it, but when I am not swinging well, it can be slightly intimidating.  On our 4-iron "test hole" which is about 215, I am about 50% in reaching the green with it, but a slightly short fade is disastrous as it sends you into a monster bunker, and my miss with that club is a slightly short fade.....

3-4 

3 is a 818h2 with an atmos blue x that will be near impossible to replace ever. 
4 is a mizuno clk 2020 with a tensei blue x that is close to as good but doesn’t sound quite as pure to the 818. 
its just easier to hit both then a 3-4 iron which I own both and can easily hit but golf is hard enough why make it harder

Playing hybrids from 3 to 6, then irons from 7 to P. 

Previously gamed a full set of hybrids from 3 to P which made me look dangerous on the course 🙂

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

I never had a 3 iron in this set, but my hybrid is meant to replace it. I use a 4 iron and my 3H is between that and a 5W.

To answer the OP's questions:

I cannot aim or shape my hybrid like an iron.

It does get me higher and out of the rough more successfully than a 3 iron would.

To me, I play it like a compact fairway wood, not like a long iron.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2