2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dr Kwon

zacgolf

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's already been posted, but since it's easier just to quote from this one, do you really find a good and accurate explanation for how the pelvis really moves in a good golf swing in that video? Just curious.  In just doing the simple version of the drill, I do find the feel interesting.

I think it provides a basic step that is an important piece of it for players who suffer lower body stall like I do. It’s more than pelvic movement, it’s the lower body action in the proper sequence. A lot of instructors are basically saying the same things, it is how they say it, more about what connects with us individually. I find it hard to learn entire motions and immediately incorporate it and do it correctly. I believe most people are that way. Always see pros give instruction and then the student tries it and video shows the student doing exactly what they did before — no change.

The bigger challenge is not so much how the pelvis moves but the sequence, which in my case is “late.” I hang back, my lower body stalls and it becomes all arms. So I like this drill for how it smooths out sequence and feels easier to do than to try to consciously think about weight shift. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I have the AMG Speed System content which relies heavily on the same concepts. The shift-turn/shift-turn and re-centering move feature prominently as do rope drills and step drills. They credit Dr. Kwon in the material so it's not as if they're pretending these are their own ideas. 

This thread has inspired me to get my rope back out and start using the drills again. 

When I was working with these drills I had one magical day of golf where it seemed like I hit almost every fairway and green and had a stress-free 77 with no birdies (I had like 12 makable birdie putts, but I was in a match play situation and was lagging a bunch of them to help my team). 

For whatever reason I couldn't capture that feel again, but then I wasn't super committed to the drills. I have a good 60 days here before the season really starts so now is a very good time to dive back in. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

This video of Byron Nelson from 1945 (when he won 18 tournaments including 11 straight) clearly shows the shifting before turning, both in takeaway and transition :

Always had the feeling that Jimmy Ballard would've loved Byron Nelson's swing.

9 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

BBG is very annoying no doubt. But he has created an important role for himself in this social media era of golf swing instruction. He has hugely increased the name recognition of many top instructors including DD, Malaska, Milo Lanes and even our very own Monte S.. I think Brandon's harmless personality and vibe gave a comfort level to these instructors to take their show on the road. And smart of Brandon to recognize his own importance in all of this. His channel gets alot views. But the sad part in all of this is Brandon is now starting to consider himself a swing guru and he's giving out swing advice. Which I find comical. 🤣

Even in that latest video he’s chirping in the background. “Oh that looks good to me” lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Etzwane said:

The step - turn drill was already in a book by Bob MacDonald in the 1920's (I first heard of it by Lynn Blake) and I suspect it was practiced long before that...

I believe that I would enjoy reading that book!  Here is a copy of the book for only $475:

https://www.mullenbooks.com/pages/books/184398/bob-macdonald/golf

Here is a look at one of the pages:

BobMacdonaldBookPage1927.jpg.958432912af4a8187320bfd1050c6c53.jpg

There may not be analysis of the length of the lever arm created between the ground force vectors and the center of mass in this book...  

There are copies on Amazon in French for as low as $11.21:

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Bob-MacDonald/dp/3829035861

If I spoke French I would probably add to my collection!

Bob was an accomplished man and a good golfer and teacher :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_MacDonald_(golfer)

Edited by Nels55

24 minutes ago, Etzwane said:

This has the wrong reference for a golfdigest publication from around 2000.  I never found the original book for less than $300.

Interesting that all of the info is correct, author, date and title.  But the picture is certainly wrong.  Amazon screw up I guess. 

Have you made a seller an offer on the book?  Sometimes they will sell for a lot less then list price.  A few years ago I paid $10 for a golf instruction manual ("Right way golf") that was listed for somewhere around $300 by offering the seller $5.  In that case it was a waste of $10.00 on my part LOL.

been doing these drills here and there and have videoed myself doing the drills and hitting some shots at the range.

feels like im having a hard time doing a full swing because you are suppose to start the down swing when your backswing reaches about 

10 o clock position

are people "pausing" at the top a little more to let the full swing develop before downswing?

On 1/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, nikeblades00 said:

BBG is very annoying no doubt. But he has created an important role for himself in this social media era of golf swing instruction. He has hugely increased the name recognition of many top instructors including DD, Malaska, Milo Lanes and even our very own Monte S.. I think Brandon's harmless personality and vibe gave a comfort level to these instructors to take their show on the road. And smart of Brandon to recognize his own importance in all of this. His channel gets alot views. But the sad part in all of this is Brandon is now starting to consider himself a swing guru and he's giving out swing advice. Which I find comical. 🤣

imagine if Brandon and Mark Crossfield ever met, would either of them stop talking

• Haha 3

I think Dr Kwon dissects what great players do then and now: use the body and great pivot to generate power and keep the club face square through the ball.  Then you have Byron Nelson, Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, Harry Vardon, Tiger and Tom Watson and they all have Dr Kwon's "move" in common.  The caveat is you can only see this in motion, still pics can be pretty deceptive.

2 minutes ago, ezpz said:

would be interesting to see Kwon try to handle a golfer with significant plane issues, considering his ideas about the pivot getting the club on plane Id love to see what  he does with a golfer who massively rolls arms/shoulders/forearms or something.

Probably such player will have to find a way to synch it all with their pivot or, unless they are supertalented and athletic, they'll be the classic club hacker.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ezpz said:

would be interesting to see Kwon try to handle a golfer with significant plane issues, considering his ideas about the pivot getting the club on plane Id love to see what  he does with a golfer who massively rolls arms/shoulders/forearms or something.

I think the “continuous motion” is the key because if you suck it inside and then over the top you can’t return it on that plane continuously and that’s why it takes care of itself. It’s hard to NOT do it.

Prob for me is getting the same rhythm from a static address position and not the big forward trigger motion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golfbeat said:

At the 7:0 minute mark. The arms go down.

Yea you “let” them go down you don’t make them go down. Subtle but big IMO. I feel if I retract the right scapula at the top it helps with the patience of the shoulders staying closed 

Edited by Forged4life
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forged4life said:

Yea you “let” them go down you don’t make them go down. Subtle but big IMO. I feel if I retract the right scapula at the top it helps with the patience of the shoulders staying closed 

Early (takeaway) lead shoulder scapula protraction and recentering / end of backswing / transition trail scapula retraction are two very subtle moves that helps with connection without trying to swing arms independently of your body ('keeping your shoulders closed from the top' / 'keeping your back to the target') - allowing for an agressive pivot

• Like 1

Just a thought on a different kind of trigger. I’m putting 60% of my weight on my lead foot and creating a trigger move to push (push/turn) off that lead foot to get the backswing started. Definitely helped me with going from the step drill to a static swing. 

Edited by agolfman
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

4 hours ago, agolfman said:

Just a thought on a different kind of trigger. I’m putting 60% of my weight on my lead foot and creating a trigger move to push (push/turn) off that lead foot to get the backswing started. Definitely helped me with going from the step drill to a static swing. 

Most tour players push off left to initiate.

Im loving the Kwon stuff, driver speeds up to 110 consistent and topped now at 116 feeling like I've got so much room in the tank to work on here as we get into spring, the UK weather isn't great to do large swing speed increases. 

I literally do 30 mins of 1,2,3 step phases then hit balls. 

Irons and wedges im not sure im getting right yet with my backswing plane and his latest video on plane motion will help this.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

3 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

If I understand Kwon correctly, he is teaching not to necessarily rotate the hips back, but to push them back using the ground after the weight shift, right? What's the best way to develop this move? 

Someone in the comments on one of the vids mentioned the feel being like heaving a bag of cement onto a truck on the trail side. Dr Kwon responded that that’s exactly right. 

In his sessions, Dr Kwon will often have players use a kettlebell to get the  feel of heaving something heavy behind them. Or he’ll lie on the ground and have a player try and lift him one handed.

Basically, you have to imagine the golf club is much heavier than it is and feel how you would create momentum with your body to throw a heavier object twice. Once in the backswing and then again in the downswing. 

swinging around a kettlebell or medicine ball is probably the best way to get the feel. 

• Like 2

This video is fantastic and connects some dots we’ve been seeing. Really appreciate seeing Kwon “throw” the club, and demonstrate some plane work. I *am* the early shoulder turn golfer; super excited to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPphzVVnLUY

Edited by rondo01
  • Like 2