Blades for Practicing and Improving Iron Play, any experience?

DCCarpenter

I've read a few posts referencing using blades for practicing iron play. Has anyone actually done this? Did it benefit them? Those PXG 0211STs are so cheap I could grab 2 different short irons with the right length and graphite shaft for short money.

I'm a newer player, 7 months in, I've broken 90 a few times from the standard men's tees usually shooting in the low-90s. 41 years old, no health issues though not the most flexible guy in the world. 

I've been lucky enough to join a country club nearby so I get to play 18 2 to 4 times a week weather permitting and practice once or twice on other days.

I'm still using the half set of hand me down irons I was gifted when I started playing so I could alternately purchase a cavity back set that fits my skill level for on course and range use. I believe in the 'It's not the arrow it's the indian' but I'm relatively tall and the irons I have were fitted to a 5'9 guy, I've done the floor to wrist measurement and I need to be +1/2 or +3/4" and what I have are - 3/4". Plus I am on WRX,  so obviously I like buying clubs.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

31 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

I've read a few posts referencing using blades for practicing iron play. Has anyone actually done this? Did it benefit them? Those PXG 0211STs are so cheap I could grab 2 different short irons with the right length and graphite shaft for short money.

I'm a newer player, 7 months in, I've broken 90 a few times from the standard men's tees usually shooting in the low-90s. 41 years old, no health issues though not the most flexible guy in the world. 

I've been lucky enough to join a country club nearby so I get to play 18 2 to 4 times a week weather permitting and practice once or twice on other days.

I'm still using the half set of hand me down irons I was gifted when I started playing so I could alternately purchase a cavity back set that fits my skill level for on course and range use. I believe in the 'It's not the arrow it's the indian' but I'm relatively tall and the irons I have were fitted to a 5'9 guy, I've done the floor to wrist measurement and I need to be +1/2 or +3/4" and what I have are - 3/4". Plus I am on WRX,  so obviously I like buying clubs.

@DCCarpenter The short answer is that yes i have bought blades (albeit a short-irons half-set i.e. 7i to PW only... Mizuno MP69 Yoro crafts!) & yes they are a joy to hit (and forces me to focus on a good swing/ sweet spot hit).

But!! IMHO it's not the blade iron-heads that should be the focus of the question...

i.e. There are so many permutations to getting a good fit

(e.g. the shaft length that you rightly identified... ditto: steel or graphite shafts; weight of shafts, flex , shaft profile;  your swing=digger or picker; smooth tempo swing or aggressive/violent tempo; etc etc)

...that any answer other than "invest in a proper fitting, with a qualified golf professional" = probably doing you a dis-service! 

Enjoy the fitting process! (and keep us posted on your journey, if you can!)

Edited by JungleJimbo

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely not the ability level to take blades on the course but figured a 8/9/PW set for practicing might be useful in improving contact and overall swing. I don't get discouraged easily so I don't mind struggling with them as I improve if it pays dividends in the long run.

The PXG fitting is only $50, I should really sign myself up for next week , I'll just explain to the fitter I am buying for practice and improvement purposes so I don't end up with the super game improvements he'd probably fit me into for on course use. Not quite ready to buy a full set of irons and definitely don't want to drop $2K on something I'll grow out of in a year.

Ping Anser 

7 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely not the ability level to take blades on the course but figured a 8/9/PW set for practicing might be useful in improving contact and overall swing. I don't get discouraged easily so I don't mind struggling with them as I improve if it pays dividends in the long run.

The PXG fitting is only $50, I should really sign myself up for next week , I'll just explain to the fitter I am buying for practice and improvement purposes so I don't end up with the super game improvements he'd probably fit me into for on course use. Not quite ready to buy a full set of irons and definitely don't want to drop $2K on something I'll grow out of in a year.

Enjoy the process! You might also like to check if the $50 fitting fee = would be offset against anything that you purchase as a result of that fitting from the same golf pro/shop?

Honestly, it sounds like it really is more about the "arrows" and the lure of picking up some PXGs. Plenty of "blades" you could pick up for less.  A $50.00 fitting is useful if you get information you can take away to guide general club/shaft buying decisions.  Sounds like you definitely need a proper set of golf clubs.  

Is your pro doing the fitting?  You need some proper instruction more than you need some "blades" for practice (overrated idea), you can practice with whatever clubs fit your game and maybe they are "blades".  I'd advise strongly in investing in a fitting with the person you will be doing business with at the country club if he or she is good at fitting and teaching.  If not, then you need to find someone to build a relationship with.  Better IMO to get advice on club buying from someone who is part of your improvement journey, knows what you are working on, than a one off (if it is a one off, you haven't said) from someone wanting to sell you PXGs.

Having said all of that, buy all the clubs you want, buy two set of PXGs - it's your money and you should enjoy the game however you want, I've got a garage and basement full of irons to attest to my enjoyment!  

Could not agree more about the need to develop a professional working relationship with someone skilled in both teaching the swing and club fitting. I know from decades of experience the thrill of "new club shopping" but if the goal at your stage is really to IMPROVE then the task might require a bit more patient and structured approach. Find a local Pro that you trust and can openly communicate with. You really wouldn't shop around for discount Doctors or Dentists that you had difficulty communicating with would you? So maybe step back a bit on the "blades" question and find an overall swing and club improvement program that's a bit more comprehensive. Once you feel that you have a repeatable swing, you might even go to a classic set of blades like some of us old timers! Good luck and have FUN on your journey!

Your probably spot on, the 'arrows' is probably part of it. I looked around at the Goodwills and 2nd Swing near me and none had anything in cavity back or 'blade' style that had a 8/9/PW in graphite short of a full 3 to PW set. Much less anything that was a bit longer than stock. 

They don't do fittings at my club and I'm a self taught golfer , always been the type of person who will pull out my car's engine based on the Haynes manual and figure out putting it back together on my own or rewire a circuit after reading an article. Not saying that as if it s a virtue being teachable is the better thing to be, I also have some significant hearing loss so sometimes it is easier for me to figure things out on my own.

The PXG fitting is a one off, their clubs (cavity back and blade ) are around $85 each ..figured 3 (8/9/PW since I don't have an 8 and my 9 and PW are far too small) of them was short money as a training tool but happy to take advice if it isn't the case. I had just seen a few posts here and there referencing practicing with the smaller head and less forgiving club helped with swing development.

I am finding golf tons of fun by the way, played state level amateur tennis and HS/College basketball so finding a new sport to dive into now that I'm not the athlete I once was in those sports is great. 21 miles or so a week of walking the course has all kinds of mental and physical benefits.

Edited by DCCarpenter
  • Like 1

Ping Anser 

25 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

Your probably spot on, the 'arrows' is probably part of it. I looked around at the Goodwills and 2nd Swing near me and none had anything in cavity back or 'blade' style that had a 8/9/PW in graphite short of a full 3 to PW set. Much less anything that was a bit longer than stock. 

They don't do fittings at my club and I'm a self taught golfer , always been the type of person who will pull out my car's engine based on the Haynes manual and figure out putting it back together on my own or rewire a circuit after reading an article. Not saying that as if it s a virtue being teachable is the better thing to be, I also have some significant hearing loss so sometimes it is easier for me to figure things out on my own.

The PXG fitting is a one off, their clubs (cavity back and blade ) are around $85 each ..figured 3 (8/9/PW since I don't have an 8 and my 9 and PW are far too small) of them was short money as a training tool but happy to take advice if it isn't the case. I had just seen a few posts here and there referencing practicing with the smaller head and less forgiving club helped with swing development.

I am finding golf tons of fun by the way, played state level amateur tennis and HS/College basketball so finding a new sport to dive into now that I'm not the athlete I once was in those sports is great. 21 miles or so a week of walking the course has all kinds of mental and physical benefits.

At $85 an iron, that's cheaper than a lot of other irons you might end up considering.  Are you fitting indoors or are you where it's warm?  Might want to wait and hit some irons outside and on turf (but others will chime in saying that's not necessary - I completely disagree) in the spring rather than in the dead of winter.  If it's to take advantage of the sale, do the fitting, order some irons and see what happens - you won't have any trouble selling them or trading them in.

Still say find a coach - big difference doing something mechanical and figuring out your own golf swing.  I'm sure I could still rebuild any small 4 stroke lawn motor or snow blower motor with a proper shop (I could when I was 14), and I can work out most carpentry (when I'm motivated, but usually prefer it be done right the first time, lol), etc. but I'm no golf coach and good golf self-diagnosis isn't as common as it may seem around here.

• Like 1

I like blades as a training tool.  My first set of irons I bought were some well worn Mizuno MP-33s.  I play blades now even though i might be losing a stroke here and there, I just like the feeling of a flushed shot and I know that I need to make a smooth swing.  You're looking for approval, go ahead and buy an iron or three (or get on ebay and buy a set).  It's a fine idea.

• Like 2

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I’d say blades would show you whether you can get along with lower bounce with your iron swing.  Definitely is a teaching tool, it can expose how steep you’ll get and since you’re more athletic than most. You’re competence/coordination might show you the way to a great delivery. 
cause I’m one of those people who went from burner irons (GI) (2010) mizuno mp62s (MB cavity)  and yeah there were frustrating moments but after that trial/error period. I am now a way better ball striker than I was before hand. So you may have that kind of teaching moment yourself just trust the process and your own determination 🤟🏻

Edited by SylvesterLundgren
  • Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I bought a set of blades about 10 years back that I wouldn’t have been “fit” into given my handicap. My thinking was the same as yours…blades would make me better. After doing this experiment over about 10 years, I’d say there may be a little benefit but it isn’t the “fix” you are hoping for. I can hit those blades and do occasionally play them even today, but I have another set of cavity backs that I tend to hit a little more solidly (and thus play).  

So to summarize, the blades won’t really make you better…maybe a little bit, but working with an instructor is far more important. 

As for the fitting, be careful. A fitter that doesn’t know what they are doing can ruin you for a while. Happened to me. The main thing I’d watch out for is if they recommend that you get your clubs bent upright. Don’t do it…just don’t. In 2-3 years you will be visiting “Hook City” far too often. 

Of course there’s undeniable merit to the idea.   Tour Stryker I believe is one aide aimed at a similar idea - with added shaft deal.  

If you built a pw and 7 iron with same shaft , same swingweight and grip , then it’s a sure fire way to checklist your impact position.  There’s nowhere to hide like there is with modern irons.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm in the camp that thinks you should be dialing in the equipment you're actually going to use on the course. 

You could practice putting through a tight gate in order to really perfect your stroke; but it wouldn't make sense to do so with one kind of putter, and then play with another putter with a different insert that potentially feels different and has the ball come off differently. I think golf and the full swing (and the equipment you use) should be treated the same way.

If you want blades, then go get some. If you need to work on your swing, then get some help with it and work on it. If you want to know how your gameday clubs are going to feel and perform on the course, then practice with them and dial them in.

• Like 2

KMeloney, thanks for the input. I have had different experiences in sports I played competitively in the past so golf specific input is handy. In tennis I could practice with any of my rackets and short of dialing in some spin shots I got the same out of the practice regardless.

In basketball if I was playing an outdoor summer league or shooting around a lot at outdoor courts and then transitioned back to formal practice for team games the indoor rims and balls made a huge difference and a killer 3 point touch from outdoors did not translate.

If I'm buying a couple practice irons I may want to consider something newer that I can easily find a duplicate of, so that I can keep 2 practice irons in my truck for impromptu range stops and the exact same irons in my bag for rounds. 

Ping Anser 

21 hours ago, KMeloney said:

I'm in the camp that thinks you should be dialing in the equipment you're actually going to use on the course. 

You could practice putting through a tight gate in order to really perfect your stroke; but it wouldn't make sense to do so with one kind of putter, and then play with another putter with a different insert that potentially feels different and has the ball come off differently. I think golf and the full swing (and the equipment you use) should be treated the same way.

If you want blades, then go get some. If you need to work on your swing, then get some help with it and work on it. If you want to know how your gameday clubs are going to feel and perform on the course, then practice with them and dial them in.

Yeah. I’d agree here too.  Even though I think that the lower bounce is a good judge of contact.  

just buy a set and play them.  Or combo set etc.  really not a huge deal below 6/7 iron.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm actually in a very similar situation as you. I started golfing in August this past year, and starting out I got swayed into purchasing the most forgiving equipment available (SIM2 Max OS Irons, SIM Max D Driver and 3 Wood). Fast forward to working on my swing this winter, and using my phone to record and do so, I came to the realization that my lie angle was way upright. I was previously pushing my hands out and hitting at the heel end of my clubface to get under the ball, and I felt as though I have been teaching myself to strike the ball poorly. After some debate I went ahead and got fit for a "full bag", in which I discovered I was hitting the face extremely consistently, just off center. I ended up at a similar length and loft to what fitting charts are telling you (and you should assuming you don't have any major swing flaws), but getting to hit different shafts was huge. The shaft I figured would make the most sense, while it was the correct flex, just didn't feel right and made it tough to make good contact. Anyway, general point is, get fit. If I were you I would probably go to a reputable fitter nearby that way you aren't limited to clubheads and shafts.

Post fitting, I went ahead and ordered my clubs direct from manufacturer due to a discount I get (with an eternity lead time). I decided to move towards blades, or muscle cavities in this case, for the same reason you are considering it. I am a 15-20 handicap, and my biggest miss is a driver slice into the woods (working on it). I want to teach myself better habits, and I completely understand it may be a rough transition until I put in the time with them. I also found a set of Mizuno MP-4 blades on eBay that will fit me relatively well (with a slight lie angle adjustment), and my intention is to use them until my order is completed and keep them as a backup set. It might be worth looking around for a full set like this that can be had for < $300 in good condition. The ones I found looked like they had been used < 5 rounds and sat in someone's car acquiring some bag chatter.

That's my 2 cents, and maybe I will regret this move to blades in 12 months, but I would bet I'll be a better golfer because of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

That's THE issue here -- and I wouldn't bet on it.

So you’d argue forged blades / muscle cavities aren’t going to give a golfer feedback that helps adjust striking? I’m not saying I’m going to go and shoot my lowest scores with blades - but I think the idea is to not hide bad strikes for better practice. Until I got in front of a Trackman I never would have guessed I was hitting close to the heel on my SIM2 irons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the feedback I get from blades so I can see them being a valuable practice tool, just be prepared for the different sole design and how punishing they can be (both strike location and bottom of swing), though I might even consider more of a mid iron if this is how you intend to use it. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I'm pretty methodical about my equipment.  Once I find a club I wear it out through practice and playing.  I don't know what the actual benefit in practicing with clubs you're not going to use IRL is.  

By the way, yesterday I played with a guy who's been playing for four or five years now and he used to hit blades, a driver and a hybrid with S shafts.  He's very hard working and has been taking lessons for a while.  A couple of months ago we played a round and I told him about seriously thinking of getting clubs for his swing (early 60's, fit, moderate SS).

Yesterday I looked at his bag and I saw cavities with R graphite shafts.  He'd changed all his set and I saw him hit golf shots that were foreign to his game.  He's hitting a 7 where he used to hit 5, and he's gained 20 yards with his driver. I was really happy for him.  We played a quick 9 and he shot -3 net.  I don't know if I made a friend or a foe now.  

• Like 4

From my experience it has worked to a degree.  I grew up playing blades and the only time I've found that cavity backs worked for me are with an old set of Mizuno's (MP-62's...and even then I didn't like the 9-iron or PW) and my current gamers, the New Level Golf 902's (I personally think the 4 and 5 iron fly too high and don't travel far enough).

To me, blades tend to be more consistent throughout the set in terms of performance, but it's more about being able to generate speed with blades, if you want to use them as gamers, then just about anything else.

I think blades can help with confidence to a degree.  Hitting my old Yonex EZone blades make any cavity back look easy to hit.  But for me I started to realize that people overstate the lack of forgiveness with the modern blade and the goal with any iron design is to hit the ball on the sweetspot.

The issue I can see with practicing with blades and using CB's as gamers is the ball performs differently.  Launches lower and with more spin.  More spin loft (typically) as well so the ball can fly with less curve on it.  Transfer that to higher launching, lower spinning cavity backs that curve more and it's kind of a shock to the system.

RH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dbjjr said:

So you’d argue forged blades / muscle cavities aren’t going to give a golfer feedback that helps adjust striking? I’m not saying I’m going to go and shoot my lowest scores with blades - but I think the idea is to not hide bad strikes for better practice. Until I got in front of a Trackman I never would have guessed I was hitting close to the heel on my SIM2 irons.

"Adjust striking"? I'm not sure what that means. You're going to try to put the best swing on the ball you know how to make, every time, regardless of what's in your hands.

I can tell where on the face I'm hitting the ball with cavity backs. I imagine that you'll eventually be able to, too. In the meantime, spray some foot powder on the face, and check to see where on the face you're making contact.

Whether you use blades to develop your game depends on who you ask.  Blades can help improve ball striking skill, but it won't come without testing your tenacity and patience.  Its a long-term endeavor. 

Though I am old school, I stay away from suggesting blades to anyone.  Mostly because more people today lack the tenacity or ingrained desire to be a ball striker and let score happen as a result.  Being a ball striker is why, at my age, I carded 2 over last Sunday, and hit a sweet 21' MB 3i - 195yds straight at 70yrs old.

When I was 40yrs old, and 8 months into learning the game my uncle recommended blades to me; so I bought a set of Mizuno MBs.  Fortunately, 'attention to detail' has always been a factor in what I tackle.  In addition, I have never been one to want quick and easy.   I relish being challenged, still.  As far as I am concerned, if you're a ball striker it's easier to control trajectory, spin and distance control using a blade as opposed to forgiving CB.  I have a set of 620 MBs and 620 CBs.  Even though blades and CB can get the ball to the hole in the same number of strokes, each exists for different reasons.  When I hit a sweet CB 3i it doesn't give me nearly as much satisfaction as when I hit a sweet MB 3 iron.  But you choose and good luck.

• Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, dbjjr said:

So you’d argue forged blades / muscle cavities aren’t going to give a golfer feedback that helps adjust striking?

Yep, that's exactly what I'd argue. 

With a handful of exceptions that never lasted more than a few months (excluding my wannabe-Freddie-Couples years in high school when I was gaming Lynx Parallax ... of course, I then switched to MP-14s because I became a wannabe-Nick-Faldo when I was 18) I've played blades since my first set of chopped down Muirfields dad got me back in '86. I've tried to shift to some more forgiving irons more than a few times but I always go back for a handful of reasons but it's mainly because it's just what I know and am comfortable with for my game. 

Pedigree aside, moving on ... 

So here's the thing. If I catch one off the toe and it flitters off to the right about 10-15 yards short (which has my miss as of late), I'm not thinking about the club; I'm thinking about what happened in my swing. The club itself is irrelevant; whether it's my T-Dubs or some ultra mega GI iron - you always wanna put your best swing on it and hit the sweet spot and ANY iron is gonna tell you when you don't. The difference is the result of that crappy swing isn't some sad little floater that winds up in front right bunker; it just might hang on to the line a little better and go further and maybe you're closer to pin high on the right side. 

At the end of the day, this is the only difference when it comes down to it. They won't make you a better ballstriker or "concentrate more." All it'll do is produce a crappier shot when you mishit it. 

But in the words of the great Marc Maron - "it's your life, man - do what you want." 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

16 hours ago, KMeloney said:

"Adjust striking"? I'm not sure what that means. You're going to try to put the best swing on the ball you know how to make, every time, regardless of what's in your hands.

I can tell where on the face I'm hitting the ball with cavity backs. I imagine that you'll eventually be able to, too. In the meantime, spray some foot powder on the face, and check to see where on the face you're making contact.

But part of the point is that with most modern irons , that swing doesn’t have to be “ as good “ as it will need to be with a blade. So the idea is necessity , will indeed be the mother who invents.  Yet again.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

From my experience it has worked to a degree.  I grew up playing blades and the only time I've found that cavity backs worked for me are with an old set of Mizuno's (MP-62's...and even then I didn't like the 9-iron or PW) and my current gamers, the New Level Golf 902's (I personally think the 4 and 5 iron fly too high and don't travel far enough).

To me, blades tend to be more consistent throughout the set in terms of performance, but it's more about being able to generate speed with blades, if you want to use them as gamers, then just about anything else.

I think blades can help with confidence to a degree.  Hitting my old Yonex EZone blades make any cavity back look easy to hit.  But for me I started to realize that people overstate the lack of forgiveness with the modern blade and the goal with any iron design is to hit the ball on the sweetspot.

The issue I can see with practicing with blades and using CB's as gamers is the ball performs differently.  Launches lower and with more spin.  More spin loft (typically) as well so the ball can fly with less curve on it.  Transfer that to higher launching, lower spinning cavity backs that curve more and it's kind of a shock to the system.

RH

62s are awesome 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I own multiple sets and types of irons. I wouldn't recommend practicing with a different set than you play with--regardless of what style they are. Different lofts, lie angles usually etc...Plus different visuals.

I'm not convinced blades make you any better a ballstriker. They'll punish you more. Does that make you somehow hit it better? I don't think so. You were already trying to hit it well. If you can't hit a free throw , shooting on a smaller rim doesn't make you more accurate any more than just learning to hit the shot on a normal rim would.

I think people should use blades when they are already good, not to "get" good.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I own multiple sets and types of irons. I wouldn't recommend practicing with a different set than you play with--regardless of what style they are. Different lofts, lie angles usually etc...Plus different visuals.

I'm not convinced blades make you any better a ballstriker. They'll punish you more. Does that make you somehow hit it better? I don't think so. You were already trying to hit it well. If you can't hit a free throw , shooting on a smaller rim doesn't make you more accurate any more than just learning to hit the shot on a normal rim would.

I think people should use blades when they are already good, not to "get" good.

I agree with this 100%.  If your goal is to play your best and shoot your lowest scores, you should be practicing with the clubs you play with.

If you play and practice with blades, and become proficient using them, you will undoubtedly also be a good ball striker.  But I think it's a logical fallacy that by simply playing and practicing with blade irons you will become a proficient ball striker more quickly or learn important lessons about your swing or how to play better golf.  You will certainly get a lot more feedback from blade irons, but I think the likelihood that you will be able to decipher how you need to adjust your swing to make better contact and shoot lower scores is very low.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

To wade back into the debate with an update, I picked up a $2 Goodwill Wilson Staff 7 iron blade (early 80s) and a even older Wilson Staff blade style sand wedge to play around with it at the range as a starting point.

Getting height was no problem at all compared to my cavity back 7 iron, I had no problem launching it and once grooved was able to hit to targets. I am not sure how the loft compares but I was definitely shorter on distance. It was harder to hit low punch shots/chips with the blade vs my cavity back, something I will work on figuring out.

I used some foot powder and it was very encouraging, my hits with the 7 iron were really well centered and grouped together. I hadn't gotten to play or practice much other than putting and chipping in the yard for the past 2 weeks because of snow so I was a little rusty but my point of contact on the face was fantastic so that was very encouraging.

Since I don't have a full iron set of any sort I pulled the trigger on a set of Wilson gooseneck FG53s 3 to SW for $120 off eBay. I chose them after reading a thread on people's favorite old WIlson irons on this site. I'll regrip them and likely get them extended to work with my height.

I typically just walk the course and carry a 8 club bag (3 wood, Wilson 4 utility iron, 9 wood, 11 wood, 7 iron, PW,SW, putter). I'm going to take the advice from this thread and put them in play as gamers if I take to them,  not sure which will join my bag in place of my current 11wood/7i/pw/sw jumble but I'm optimistic with consistent practice a consistent short game will follow.

• Like 1

Ping Anser