What worked for you to stop buying stuff all the time?

Vater

I used to try to have a full backup bag. My parents winter on a golf course, so I'd leave them there and always have it, wouldn't have to travel with clubs, etc., very convenient. Then I found myself still taking my gamer bag because it didn't make sense to me to use backup clubs.

Now I've decided, I have one set - 14 clubs - if I decide I'm going to try a new club, new putter, whatever, I can get it, but anything it replaces gets sold, or the item I try that doesn't work gets sold/not purchased. I'm only going to own 14 clubs at a time. It's helped me only replace clubs I think are going to improve my game. I used to think, "oh I'll keep different bounce wedges" or "I'll have a 2 iron for windy days" - it was all an excuse to be a ho, and a delusion that I'm playing tons of different types of courses or I'm better at the game than I am.

14 club limit is what's helped me.

• Like 4

Get a proper fitting and build/buy custom clubs with upgraded shafts. 

• Like 2

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

On 3/23/2024 at 11:22 PM, 95124hacker said:

@AdExec Looks like you stopped buying balls too, as I see some old Titleist, Maxfli & Nike in your photo…

There was an ebay estate sale with all the old titleist/maxfli balls and I must have had 20 dozen balatas and professionals, 384 tour, etc. Sold half of them, kept half of them. The Nike balls are the Tour Accuracy TW models. Figured Id keep a few boxes until Tiger retires then try to flip them. 

I realized there was almost no correlation between new equipment and scoring well (with the exception of fresh grooves every now and then). Better yet, I realized there was no correlation between new equipment and how much enjoyment and satisfaction I feel on the golf course.

Use golf as an opportunity to be grateful for what you already have in a beautiful outdoor setting away from your personal problems. Having an insatiable desire for "more" kind of kills that spirit of the game. Learn to leave well enough alone.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kiawah said:

I realized there was almost no correlation between new equipment and scoring well (with the exception of fresh grooves every now and then). Better yet, I realized there was no correlation between new equipment and how much enjoyment and satisfaction I feel on the golf course.

Use golf as an opportunity to be grateful for what you already have in a beautiful outdoor setting away from your personal problems. Having an insatiable desire for "more" kind of kills that spirit of the game. Learn to leave well enough alone.

That's easier said than done, lol.

Kind of like the friend telling his depressed friend to not feel that way because he doesn't and can't understand that it's not a choice.

• Confused 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

That's easier said than done, lol.

Kind of like the friend telling his depressed friend to not feel that way because he doesn't and can't understand that it's not a choice.

That wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry if you read my post that way.

I know it is not an easy thing to do -- I struggle with this concept even when it is present in my mind at times. The message that I was trying to convey is that although some clubs certainly work better than others for certain people, there is no "magic" out there that will automatically make you a better player. What helped/helps me is setting aside a couple of times per round to just be grateful to be out there (I usually try to do this around the 8th and 17th holes, or holes where I'm likely to start counting up my score to distract myself from doing that) and realize that fixating on what you don't have (skill wise or material things wise) is an endless cycle that won't make you any better or happier. I'm not trying to sound preachy or tell anyone what they should do with their money, but I think that most people just buying new stuff all the time when it's not needed aren't likely to figure out that their attitude and talent are the common denominator for success, not the newest or shiniest driver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiawah said:

That wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry if you read my post that way.

I know it is not an easy thing to do -- I struggle with this concept even when it is present in my mind at times. The message that I was trying to convey is that although some clubs certainly work better than others for certain people, there is no "magic" out there that will automatically make you a better player. What helped/helps me is setting aside a couple of times per round to just be grateful to be out there (I usually try to do this around the 8th and 17th holes, or holes where I'm likely to start counting up my score to distract myself from doing that) and realize that fixating on what you don't have (skill wise or material things wise) is an endless cycle that won't make you any better or happier. I'm not trying to sound preachy or tell anyone what they should do with their money, but I think that most people just buying new stuff all the time when it's not needed aren't likely to figure out that their attitude and talent are the common denominator for success, not the newest or shiniest driver.

I will agree that I'm very grateful to be able to golf and to be part of a group of good people who golf.  We have a saying that it's better than sitting on the couch watching reruns.  That saying usually comes out when it's raining and windy.

I find that I purchase things when I can't get out to golf.  I start looking at the internet and researching (I'm not a person who can just sit and relax, my mind never stops).  My current fixation is with one length irons, researching the heck out of them right now.

• Like 1

Just now, bekgolf said:

I will agree that I'm very grateful to be able to golf and to be part of a group of good people who golf.  We have a saying that it's better than sitting on the couch watching reruns.  That saying usually comes out when it's raining and windy.

I find that I purchase things when I can't get out to golf.  I start looking at the internet and researching (I'm not a person who can just sit and relax, my mind never stops).  My current fixation is with one length irons, researching the heck out of them right now.

I totally understand that and can relate. By all means, buy yourself some new clubs if you want them or if yours don't fit. But most people could probably ditch all of their odd/even irons and half of their woods/wedges and shoot within 5 shots of their average round. If you're gonna spend a bunch of money on new stuff, at least keep your expectations in check. Odds are, they will not change your game markedly one way or the other.

One length irons would be cool to try.

• Like 1

Personally, I like to think I'm like the guy that was addicted to brake fluid - I can stop anytime I want. 😂

Seriously though - they say that the first step is to admit you have a problem. So I figure as long as I don't admit I have a problem, I'll be good.

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Becoming a Ventus Black and X7 whore

• Haha 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I’ve made rules for myself……

1 putter at any given time (✔️
2 iron sets only at any given time. (✔️)
1 driver at any given time.(✔️)

Wedges only when grooves wear. (✔️)
Buy used at all times based on my best known specs.(✔️)

Must sell current before buying “new”. (✔️

This deal with myself (and my wife) allows me to use funds from selling to cover “new to me” gear. It’s usually a wash thus not impacting the bank account. Old Pings can be remarkably cheap. Having said that, I’m not a serial ho - it’s all fun. My next mission (I’m actually happy with what’s in the bag right now) is investing in lower scores via lessons. My coach could care less what’s in my bag when I show up to his lesson tee.  Don’t think he’s ever even looked in my bag if I think about it. It’s all about getting in the reps with good habits to create consistent strikes. 

Plus, the best players I’ve ever played with over the 35 years that I’ve played golf are trunk slammers with a bag of old sticks that look like they’ve been to war. Tools not Jewels they say. 

• Like 1

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

1 hour ago, MotherTeresa10 said:

Golf manufacturers aren't spending millions making/marketing clubs because it doesn't work. I think it's okay that we all fail sometimes and give in to it. 

It also feels better spending shop credit at my club than cash at club champion, etc. Maybe I'll add shop credit only rules to my rulebook. 

A friend of mine did that for years.  In his mind he never paid for a club but got a new set of irons and driver every few years from the books at the club house.  His entry fees were thought of as golfing fees.  He won a lot too.

Worked for him.

To answer your question- nothing. The only thing saving me is that I’m a single-income school teacher, so my addiction has to be done on a budget. I did BioLife last year for a new putter. Now THAT will make you carefully consider how much you need that new club!

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

Unemployment works

• Haha 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Now that I've ordered a new set of irons only six months after seemingly upgrading, I promise I'll stop buying for a little bit. Well, after I get my new 4W as well...then I'll stop. 😅

Bag on a budget:

Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy (assembly pending)

4UI: Turner 239

Irons (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

Definitely getting fitted and finding a set of irons that has what I’m looking for

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Agree with above, after 24 months of playing: P7MC, Apex TCB, T100, ZX7, i210, and many return trips to my backup Tour Preferred MB’s, I finally decided to get fitted and dialed with P7TW build and I’ve never been more happy with irons. More money upfront, but now I don’t see myself buying another iron set which should actually save me a lot money (see last 24 months).

I also love that they’re a product line without a seemingly endless new version cycle, so no getting hammered over the head with “more forgiveness, speed, etc marketing”. 

There's certainly a very serious answer here about consumerism and retail therapy etc. I won't respond down that route as it can sound judgemental, and I'm certainly not going to judge anyone for how they want to approach their leisure activity.

I started playing golf as a teenager and had three sets up to my mid 40's. So I roughly got 10 years out of each set. I had a few years out of the game and when I returned I had a bit of a disastrous fitting last Autumn. My lack of experience here with different brands meant I didn't appreciate how sets use different tech within a range, or how much leading edge design is different between manufacturers for example. A 7 iron on a mat did not highlight these issues and when I took the clubs to the course I was digging trenches. I've never taken much of a divot so it was really disconcerting. One divot was so bad I swear I could see Australia!

As a result, and stung by the loss on them, over the winter I have bought about seven different sets second hand, from manufacturers that I hadn't played before, in order that I could learn about different manufacturers styles of clubs, and the different head types each manufacturer produces. I had only ever played 3 different GI clubs in my entire life. These had all looked very similar. I should have experimented more with clubs back in my 20's really to nail this down early. I have learned a lot about equipment and what suits me this winter.

This has been a very interesting experiment. I have now settled on a winter half-set and my main set. This is all I will own and I'd expect these to last ten years or so again. I've sold the others at either small losses or small gains.

I can quite easily see though how this process could become addictive. The buzz of finding a possible set that may be the solution, or is slightly different to this other set that is very similar, but may provide a marginal gain is real. There's excitement in waiting for the clubs to arrive in the post, and excitement at taking them out and trying them. Will they feel amazing and hit a ball like I've never hit a ball before! 

Hopefully we all know though that once we have identified what suits us, and is the right length, lie, weight etc, then the equipment is no longer holding us back, and our limitations are now our own. That's all we can ask of any tool. A bicycle, running shoes, woodworking tool or a golf club, once the quality and attributes match our needs then we're good. We are now the limitation and it's not the equipment holding us back because it doesn't fit, suit us or is not of sufficient quality. The hunt should end at that point (unless someone enjoys trying different equipment and has the financial means to do so without issue).

Maybe there are 250 sets of clubs out there across brands and the last few release cycles. Maybe I could successfully play with 30 of those that really suit me and I would feel comfortable with and enjoy using. I don't need 30 sets, so like any product where there are a range of choices, I've just got to make my choice and then try to get as close to mastering that selection as possible.

• Like 1

Well, for the most part I used to splurge on drivers only. Then I said the word retired out loud. I spent more on golf stuff in two years than in my previous lifetime. 

Two things just changed all that. 

Realizing a $350 putter doesn’t make putts for you. And…

We just joined a nice golf club. Now my wife plays with me a lot and notices my gear. Her clubs are as old as my putter, but my other stuff is pretty fresh. Her clubs also look brand new because she hardly used them. Anyway, she’ll bug me for new anytime I add something so… whoa Nelly. (I did give her the $350 putter and she gets the Zip Navigator when we play together) 😉

For now…

Regardless, definitely not saving any money with the above strategy. 

Nothing. Nothing at all. Decided at the end of last fall, after replacing most of the bag, that I was good, and didn't need anything else for the next several years.

Had my 25 year old Newport, the only putter I've used in those 25 years, refinished, and put a new shaft in it. It's better right now than it's ever been.

So I bought another putter.

• Haha 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium