2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What worked for you to stop buying stuff all the time?

Vater

I thought I buy quite a bit of golf stuff. But there is a lot of people on here that buy a crazy amount of clubs. I thought I had a problem then I started following I here more. Some peeps are crazy with gear! 
being on here helped me feel better about my golf purchases. 
Nothing is going to stop me from buying stuff but now I don’t think I buy too much lol.

Getting fit and just realizing that trying the same model in 5 different brands isnt going to net any results. I enjoy the proces of trying to get better more than shiny stuff anyway. Last thing I bought was probably 5 yrs ago. Shiny stuff is nice but I'd much rather spend money on some kind of item that will last me a long time rather than a golfclub thats basicaly just a tool.

• Like 1

Being accused of creating demo iron sets.  May be true but those 99.9% new sets sold so fast they were gone the next day.

Won't shop there ever again.

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

This year is my famine year. 2500.00 last year left me thinking at 63 it ain’t helping. Also bought my dream set of irons and wedges , PXG, that cost 1800 alone. Got enough putter styles to last years.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 years later...

Over the years I have battled a significant issue with buying golf clubs. It started with going to the local Goodwills and thrift stores and finding deals. It was fun because I could try out all sorts of golf clubs and if I didn't like them, I could sell them for a profit. In the beginning, I wasn't losing any money, I was actually making money. That's how I justified it. Then I turned to eBay. The purchase price was considerably more expensive and if I didn't keep the clubs I resold them at times breaking even, sometimes for a loss. I've gone through hundreds of sets of irons, dozens of drivers, and last year, I went through too many putters to count. I wasn't even certain as to what I was looking for. This winter, my objective was to stop this cycle. I decided that I would buy a set of my favorite clubs and that would be it. After my purchase, I closed my eBay and OfferUp accounts. I stopped frequenting Goodwill, thrift stores, Play-it-Again Sports, Dicks, Golf Galaxy, and the PGA Superstore. I had to stop watching YouTube channels like Stacked Golf, The Vintage Golfer, Club Champion, etc. It hasn't been easy. I have had some moments of weakness. For instance, I was wasting time and I decided to go into a Goodwill. I saw a set of clubs, nothing special, but they were $1.99 per club; full set, 2-PW with graphite shafts and good grips. I picked them up and walked back and forth in the store putting them back and then picking them up again. If I had bought them, I wasn't sure what I would do with them. Eventually, I left the store without them, but I was embarrassed by the mental struggle I experienced. So far, I still have the set of clubs I started the year with. My goal is to not buy another club unless something breaks. My hope is that I can get through an entire season and the urge to switch or buy clubs will subside. There really is no good reason to buy anything else. All of my clubs are in great condition and they are my favorite picks of all of the clubs that I have tried over the years. I have no good excuse if I relapse. All I can say is the struggle is real. 

• Like 4

Wilson D9 Driver

Lazrus 3 and 5 fairway woods

Wilson D9 irons 5-GW

Lazrus wedges 52, 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 putter

1 hour ago, Dwayne Williams said:

I've gone through hundreds of sets of irons,

"Hundreds" ?  :classic_ohmy:

May I ask how long you've been playing ? TIA

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Buying our "grown up" house and deciding the garage wouldn't look like a sporting goods store. Big purge and haven't bought much in the last 3 years. 

Also had to stop thinking about how much my clubs are "worth" and be willing to let them go cheaper in exchange for some sanity. 

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Oddly enough, buying an older set of irons lol

On a lark, I picked up a set of rac lt's just b/c I wanted to game them when I was a kid. I hit them every bit as good the i230s I was playing, just weaker lofts. Even then, I'm only seeing about a 1/2 club difference. Sold the Pings and I've been less interested ever since... hopefully it lasts!

3 kids in daycare will help you stop buying lol

but on a serious not finding a set of irons that I have confidence in ended a 5-6 year streak of switching. Srixon z785s have been in the bag since 2020 and I truly have no desire to switch. They are consistent and feel great. That’s all I want.

• Like 3

It's a combination of finding what I like and supporting a small company at the same time. I'm still buying stuff now and again just for fun, but my bag has been pretty much set going on 2 years now. I will add a 5 wood once one is available.

I had some trade in credits, so I got a stealth 2 for fun. It will likely be on the BST forum in a week. 😛

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

LOL, hundreds of sets - not.

Like @nitram above, I don't blame the clubs for my game but . . . . . I love trying new sticks!  Just to get in some swings before a clinic with Monte a week ago I set up a "fitting" which . . . .  turned into a fitting, haha.  My wife asked me this week if I'd ordered a driver --- I said "no".  A few minutes later she suggested maybe she wasn't as specific or as general as she needed to be, haha.  I've never owned a Mizuno club, which is a little surprising in hindsight, so I guess that will be rectified with 7 of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nsxguy said:

"Hundreds" ?  :classic_ohmy:

May I ask how long you've been playing ? TIA

I've been playing for about 20 years. But I used to buy golf clubs from thrift stores sometimes a few times a week. I would try them and either keep them or sell them. I've gone through a lot of clubs. 

Wilson D9 Driver

Lazrus 3 and 5 fairway woods

Wilson D9 irons 5-GW

Lazrus wedges 52, 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 putter

Not wanting to be viewed as a hoarder is enough incentive for me. I like to tinker as much as anyone but there’s a practical limit I won’t cross.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I built an older set of 2016 model driver and woods and irons and wedges except the putter. Put them in play a few months ago. Shot the same scores as I would with my newer clubs. I even broke 80 once in the 1 month I was playing them. I know that, that will be the case because I have been playing some very odd clubs in my sim and I play the same course all the time, so I know my tendencies and distances indoors and they are pretty close to real life, even shorter by 10 yards or so because of the software. I know what my scoring range will be indoors so that makes it interesting when I try different kinds of clubs and setups. I have been playing old clubs, minimalist sets, odd or even numbered irons, no driver or no woods or hybrids or long irons as the longest clubs in the same sim when it's winter and I tend to get the same scoring range over and over again. Heck I even tried my wife's clubs. l even played a set that are three inches shorter than the normal length of clubs from driver down to the wedge. I used some iron set from 2001 and they were 1 club shorter as expected because of the lofts. Scores did not differ from my regular clubs, all withing striking distance. 

Then I went on a fitting session and gained very little improvement. Maybe because it was not Ian Fraser from TXG golf who did the fitting or there are not reputable fitters in my area or maybe there are but I am just too cheap to spend a lot for a whole set of new clubs?

I got tired of all the process and I know anyway that I probably will shoot the same scores even if I use some older clubs in real life anyway and went on to buy the actual clubs that I have been wanting to buy for a long time. This time I know that this purchase will not impact my score but it will make me "happy" because these are the clubs that I really want to use and look at when they are in my bag. I am at peace now with the reality that I will never be able to go or afford a tour level fitting and make considerable gains. That I will just be posting the same scores regardless if I used 2024 or 2001 clubs. I have finally accepted that truth. 

I have not bought new clubs or used in the last 2 days. I think this is gonna be it for me. 😅

• Like 1

Some lessons and finally, after decades, having a repeatable swing, has greatly reduced the club ho-ing for me.  

Now, that said, I did give my son my old Tour Edge clubs that I used at my lake place, so I am contemplating what irons I should get (I have enough "spare" hybrids and woods) to keep at the cabin.  

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

I realized several years ago that the more one plays, the less one worries about equipment...

...and the more one sits at home watching & discussing equipment, the more they shop. 

That revelation helped me separate my consumerist impulses from my actual love of golf. Once you realize those are 2 totally separate things, you can control your thoughts & actions a bit better when you're not playing.

It's easier to realize when you're getting into the shopper mood and stop it before it goes too far. In fact, you probably shouldn't ever be 'browsing for the heck of it.' That has nothing to do with golf and everything to do with boredom. So either go play golf or find something else to do. 

Shopping for equipment is not a replacement for playing and shopping as a hobby can become a real problem (as some here have described). 

And finally, if you're insistent on spending money on your golf lifestyle, it doesn't have to be on equipment:

>  Patronize your local Club.

>  Flesh out your wardrobe with clothes & shoes.

>  Purchase interesting stuff like an electric trolley.

>  Plan a golf trip.

There are tons of ways to spend money in fun and interesting ways that don't involve just buying equipment which isn't likely any different than what you already have. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Learning how to do club work at home - mainly regripping - has helped to curb my desires for new stuff. It also helps that I can't afford much. 

But, a new set of Crosslines is only about $70. Changing them out kills a couple of hours. 

And, with new grips, every old club feels new again. 

Edited by jholz
  • Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

As others have said, the cure for spending too much time and money buying golf "stuff" is to play more golf. Unfortunately for a lot of folks, playing more golf isn't really an option. I can see how buying clubs and stuff is a way of (slightly) scratching the golf itch regularly when you can only get the course to play once in a while. 

Fortunately for me, over the years I've gradually been able to play more golf to the point where I can avoid the buying urge for months at a stretch now. I think when I do (occasionally) buy a new set or irons or something it's mostly out of habit, after doing the club-ho thing on a regular basis for so many years. 

I always joke to my wife there are only two things that make me want new clubs. If I'm playing really bad I want to get rid of the old ones and replace them. Or if I'm playing really good I want to celebrate by treating myself to new equipment. Good thing I play mediocre most of the time!

Nothing.  I don't fight it.  I just try to not have too much extra crap on hand and piling up.  

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Never stopped... Either new equipment, apparel, accessories, etc. 

Embrace the disease... 😵‍💫  

Ping G430 LST 9.0 - Alta CB 55-S // G430 Max 5-wood - HZRDUS Red RDX 70 // G430 4H-22 - HZRDUS Red RDX 80

Mizuno JPX 923 HM 4-P / Recoil 780 ES // Vokey SM8 50-54-58

Ping PLD Anser 2 Satin // Bridgestone Tour B RX

golf2b.png

I decided to finally get fit for clubs instead of buying something new every couple weeks off FB marketplace and tinkering on my own. I tried a bunch of stuff last year, but my handicap only went up lol. I still plan on messing around with new things, but I'll be limiting that to only putters, and never have more than two at a time. @North Butte and @MelloYello are on to something though, the more I play the less I actually care about what I'm playing with. 

Edited by Snikers

my 3 wood has been sitting unused in my bag for a long time due to my lack of skill to hit a proper shot with it.... could not get it airborne for the life of me

recent swing change has made me flush it now

deciding if i need a 5 wood now that i hit the 3 so much better

sometimes playing better doesn't help 😁

• Like 1

Callaway Driver Ai Smoke

Callaway 3 Wood Ai Smoke

Callaway 5 Wood Ai Smoke

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus