Jump to content

Launch Monitors


Recommended Posts

We've stopped using all these consumer grade devices, as spin number is the biggest weakness with all the sub 1k devices.

 

We get all the necessary numbers from his coach, and for quick tune-ups most places will have a quad or trackman.

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/lessons-services-lessons-practice/

 

Wrong data is worst than no data.

 

Mevo+ was the worst.  By the time I was done setting up, both my kids were done with their buckets. 

 

Edited by mrshinsa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indoor hitting bay in the garage with a Skytrak...if I can get him out of his preteen hormonal malaise and actually hitting balls I do think it will help him a lot. I trust the Skytrak for the numbers I need to look at. I know spin is going to be funky from time to time. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mevo+. Works fine. Setup is a snap. Every now and then the spin number is off and I just ignore it or delete that shot.  At 10% of the cost of a Trackman, I can live with small variances. It's not like my kid's swing is that consistent anyway.  The FS Skills target games are fun to play against my kid.

 

Will likely get the club data add-on in the future if the reviews come back as positive. If those reviews are positive, you end up with the features of an Xi Tour ($9K) for $3K.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mevo+ is a good unit for the money and works well on the range for us.

 

The mevo+ is actually pretty close to the trackman. It works good enough to check out numbers and make sure we are doing things correctly. I brought it because there are numbers we needed in between sessions with the coach. 

 

You have to remember all these launch monitors can be off for a number of reasons.  I wouldn’t worry about a trackman unless you working on advanced stuff. 
 

Nothing is 100% accurate trackmans even vary based on setup. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've had a GC2 since 2018.  Been playing TGC then TGC 2019 since.  We had JNPG when it was out.  Been on GSPRO during their Beta and recently brought it.

 

Son prefers GSPRO.  Mainly he is on the range and playing TPC Scottsdale.

 

@heavy_hitterI wouldn't disagree about A.  I think the problem you run into is constantly chasing numbers.

 

We had an HMT and I was constantly immediately looking at it and drove me crazy.  I was ready to sell it.

 

Playing with just the GC2 again.  I work on the ball speed, backspin and side axis.  Might be that I am a numbers and engineering guy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

I am beginning to believe all the units are useless if they A) Don't have path and face C) Spin is off and B) Aren't set up correctly.  Even if a Trackman and Flightscope aren't set up properly the numbers are off.

 

You need the face path and a few other parameters for sure otherwise they are useless.  Also people forget using a launch monitor every day is a good way to destroy your game.  It's great after a lesson or trying to figure out things but nothing beats seeing it on the range and then going out to the course and executing the shot.  

 

 

Edited by tiger1873
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

 

You need the face path and a few other parameters for sure otherwise they are useless.  Also people forget using a launch monitor every day is a good way to destroy your game.  It's great after a lesson or trying to figure out things but nothing beats seeing it on the range and then going out to the course and executing the shot.  

 

 

"Also people forget using a launch monitor every day is a good way to destroy your game. "

 

How so?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

"Also people forget using a launch monitor every day is a good way to destroy your game. "

 

How so?

 

Because it can really hurt you when you practice and focus on numbers too much.  You just get too technical out on the course.  All those numbers don't need to be in your head when your playing. All you should care is the ball does what you want it too. 

 

Really no different then the club junkie who keeps messing with their clubs.

 

Use for a few days then put it away. Never use them just before a tournament unless all you care about is distance of clubs.

Edited by tiger1873
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

 

Because it can really hurt you when you practice and focus on numbers too much.  You just get too technical out on the course.  All those numbers don't need to be in your head when your playing. All you should care is the ball does what you want it too. 

 

Really no different then the club junkie who keeps messing with their clubs.

 

Use for a few days then put it away. Never use them just before a tournament unless all you care about is distance of clubs.

Yeah...those PGA LPGA and college golfers all using it pre tournament are really struggling with their games...

 

What you are talking about is a mental issue that will be there regardless of the LM. You are treating an outlier not the underlying condition. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Yeah...those PGA LPGA and college golfers all using it pre tournament are really struggling with their games...

 

What you are talking about is a mental issue that will be there regardless of the LM. You are treating an outlier not the underlying condition. 

And using it after a round late into the night.

 

Ours has been a god send to my game personally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

And using it after a round late into the night.

 

Ours has been a god send to my game personally. 

 

That' ok but I am talking about teaching and practicing to the numbers on a LM.  No one does well doing that.  It different then just  going out and using the simulator because lack access to a range.

 

Maybe you never explored the numbers like I have.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

 

That' ok but I am talking about teaching and practicing to the numbers on a LM.  No one does well doing that.  It different then just  going out and using the simulator because lack access to a range.

 

Maybe you never explored the numbers like I have.

That is not related to using an LM warming up or pre tournament. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the hard numbers while you are out on a range and it can be insightful and useful. 

 

Teaching and practicing to the numbers on a LM is an entirely different issue. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who just ordered a garmin r10, my reasoning is this. I have a net that I hit into about 3-4 nights per week. I work with an instructor so I am usually trying to ingrain a swing feel or just continue working on what is working. All I can really go off is feedback from the club and/or footspray on the clubface. I use an old blade 7 iron because it gives the best feedback and I can tell if I am hitting the center or not. So I am already out there, hitting into a net. For me, I am hoping the Garmin r10 will give me some semblance of if I am hitting it left right or center. I am not going to use a $600 personal launch monitor as the gospel on all my carry yardages. I have been playing golf for years, I know my numbers. It is more of keeping my practice engaging and FUN (hopefully). If I center a driver and it says Carry 210 yds with 4000 rpm spin, I know that is wrong. 

 

The real question I have and I want to test is if I can trust the launch direction into a net. I would test that on a range or course obviously. It seems like it is difficult/impossible for these units to measure gear effect properly when hitting into a net. 

 

My goal is do a review of the garmin r10 vs a trackman on my range (I have access to rent a trackman). I have seen this on YouTube but with all the "sponsored content" out there, I am losing my trust in youtube reviews. There is just too much money to be made from garmin or rapsodo to pay one of these guys/gals off to say their launch monitor is "within 1-2% of trackman." I need to see it for myself. 

Edited by blackbdmillsaps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

As someone who just ordered a garmin r10, my reasoning is this. I have a net that I hit into about 3-4 nights per week. I work with an instructor so I am usually trying to ingrain a swing feel or just continue working on what is working. All I can really go off is feedback from the club and/or footspray on the clubface. I use an old blade 7 iron because it gives the best feedback and I can tell if I am hitting the center or not. So I am already out there, hitting into a net. For me, I am hoping the Garmin r10 will give me some semblance of if I am hitting it left right or center. I am not going to use a $600 personal launch monitor as the gospel on all my carry yardages. I have been playing golf for years, I know my numbers. It is more of keeping my practice engaging and FUN (hopefully). If I center a driver and it says Carry 210 yds with 4000 rpm spin, I know that is wrong. 

 

The real question I have and I want to test is if I can trust the launch direction into a net. I would test that on a range or course obviously. It seems like it is difficult/impossible for these units to measure gear effect properly when hitting into a net. 

Trusting the R10 indoors is similar to trusting a 16 year old with your daughter, a fifth of Boone's Farm, and the keys to your Porsche. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Trusting the R10 indoors is similar to trusting a 16 year old with your daughter, a fifth of Boone's Farm, and the keys to your Porsche.

 

You may be right since the R10 is doppler and likely gets less and less accurate the less ball flight it can see. I may have purchased a $600 toy. On the flip side, the worst case scenario is the numbers are bad and I wasted money. They suckered me in with the home tee hero and being able to play a cartoon version of my home courses. That is not what a "serious" golfer would buy but a serious golfer also can probably get to the range twice a week whereas I am stuck at home with two kids under 3. Can't justify $4-8k for a GC3 and at worst I think I can re-sell my Garmin R10 for $500 (likely much closer to original retail than that). 

 

Also, the way my back yard opens up I have about 130 yards of runout, so realistically I can still hit wedges on it. Not a total waste if the doppler unit is decent on full flight but bad into a net.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, blackbdmillsaps said:

 

You may be right since the R10 is doppler and likely gets less and less accurate the less ball flight it can see. I may have purchased a $600 toy. On the flip side, the worst case scenario is the numbers are bad and I wasted money. They suckered me in with the home tee hero and being able to play a cartoon version of my home courses. That is not what a "serious" golfer would buy but a serious golfer also can probably get to the range twice a week whereas I am stuck at home with two kids under 3. Can't justify $4-8k for a GC3 and at worst I think I can re-sell my Garmin R10 for $500 (likely much closer to original retail than that). 

 

Also, the way my back yard opens up I have about 130 yards of runout, so realistically I can still hit wedges on it. Not a total waste if the doppler unit is decent on full flight but bad into a net.

R10 is great for what it is great at but just not to good indoors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

 

Have you used it indoors or is that based on reviews or other experiences you have seen? Genuinely curious, not being argumentative 😀

I haven't myself but all the reviews about indoor, and I know two people who own it and used it indoors, reported it was very dicey. I also own a similarly priced/level doppler unit that is pretty dicey indoors as well. Just hard to be that accurate with such limited flight for a doppler. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Just hard to be that accurate with such limited flight for a doppler. 

 

That is what I always wonder about all these "indoor sims" that use Trackman. Would they not be better served using a GCQuad *ducks head for going COMPLETELY off topic*

 

17 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I also own a similarly priced/level doppler unit that is pretty dicey indoors as well.

 

We can always keep praying for software updates...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Tiger Woods - WITB - 2022 PGA Championship
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2022 PGA Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 58 replies
    • 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #1
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #2
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #3
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #1
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #2
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      John Murphy - WITB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Cooper Dossey - WITB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Jason Day WITB – 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Justin Leonard - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      J.J. Killeen - North Texas PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      Patrick Flavin - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Patrick Flavin's custom Cameron putter - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Odyssey "Texas Wedge" putter covers - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Ping PLD graphite putter shaft - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Maverick McNealy's custom (3rd iteration) Callaway Apex MB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Odyssey/Toulon custom Daytona putter - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      Justin Thomas' new Scotty Cameron T5 prototype putter (with custom neck) – 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 17 replies
    • 2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #1
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #2
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #3
       
       
      WITB Albums 
       
      Eugenio Chacarra - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Larkin Gross - Mid-Atlantic PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Billy Hurley - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Max McGreevy - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Cameron putters - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Oddyssey Putters - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
       
       
       
      • 3 replies
    • 2022 Huntsville Champ (Korn Ferry) Photos & 30+ WITB- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Tee-K Kelly - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Blayne Barber - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Thomas Walsh - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Davis Thompson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Philip Knowles - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Tom Whitney - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Steven Fisk - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      John Pak - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Vincent Norrman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Brandon Matthews - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Peter Kuest - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Whee Kim - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Will Bateman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      MJ Daffue - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Rhein Gibson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      David Kocher - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Will Gordon - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Trevor Cone - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Bryce Emory - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Curtis Luck - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry
      Ryan Ruffels - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Chris Petefish - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Kevin Dougherty - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Michael Johnson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Tyson Alexander - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Brian Richey - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Patrick Cover - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Nick Voke - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Grant Hirschman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
       
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 14 replies
    • 2022 Zurich Classic - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Zurich Classic - Monday
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Aaron Rai - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Sam Horsfield - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Jim Herman - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Chase Seiffert - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Sang Moon Bae - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Rafa Cabrera Bello - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Golf Forever - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Garsen Quad Tour 17 - 2022 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 12 replies

×
×
  • Create New...