Anybody using CBX Zipcore wedges?

hammergolf

2 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

Feeling heavier not based on swing weight right? Just the mass of the head?

Correct

Good luck

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 8/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, NerdyGolfer said:

How do you like the zipcore vs the CBX2? Can’t find too much to sway me away from my current CBX2 wedges. Worth moving from CBX2 to CBX zipcore?

I can’t compare CBX2 to CBX Zip, but for me playing the CBX Zips almost feels like cheating for me. So consistent, very forgiving, really versatile sole grinds, and still have a nice soft feel. They are the best wedges I’ve ever played.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I carry a 54* Mid and 60* Low Zipcore Tour Rack and have been very pleased with their consistency in distance control and turf interaction. I had the 48* but ended up sticking with my set PW head though. The Zipcore was good there too, but I liked the little bit of extra forgiveness my CB's give me. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I can’t compare CBX2 to CBX Zip, but for me playing the CVX Zips almost feels like cheating for me. So consistent, very forgiving, really versatile sole grinds, and still have a nice soft feel. They are the best wedges I’ve ever played.

Yeah the CBX2’s are insanely forgiving as well. Just trying to see if there’s enough improvement to swap them out. But thanks for the feedback! Cleveland knocked out the entire CBX line and really is listening when people provide feedback because it appears they’ve improved the sole grinds on the new CBX heads

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 SFT 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 5S

Fairway Wood: Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood & 5 Wood

Hybrids: Ping G425 4-Hybrid (Ventus Blue)

Irons: Proto Concept C01TB 5-PW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105S

Wedges: Proto Concept Forged CB 50*, Miura K-Grind 2.0 54* & 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER5 w/ Stability Tour 2 Shaft

55 minutes ago, JDTex said:

I carry a 54* Mid and 60* Low Zipcore Tour Rack and have been very pleased with their consistency in distance control and turf interaction. I had the 48* but ended up sticking with my set PW head though. The Zipcore was good there too, but I liked the little bit of extra forgiveness my CB's give me. 

This thread is for the CBX line of zipcore wedges 🙂

but thanks for the feedback on your wedges! Glad you like them!

• Like 1

Is there any negative to playing the CBX Zipcores vs a wedge that you can choose the bounce and grind independent of the loft? I understand that better players may want specific bounces and grinds but if a player just wants simplicity is there any downside to the set bounces and grinds on the CBX's?

4 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Is there any negative to playing the CBX Zipcores vs a wedge that you can choose the bounce and grind independent of the loft? I understand that better players may want specific bounces and grinds but if a player just wants simplicity is there any downside to the set bounces and grinds on the CBX's?

I haven’t found one yet…. I came from RTX Zips and PXG 0311 forged to the CBX Zips and there isn’t any shot that I could hit with those wedges that I can’t hit my CBX Zips. They just nailed it with the sole grinds. They are so versatile, and by being able to move the cg further toe side they are just so consistent even if strike it toe side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Two questions:

1. Do most people just use the stock shaft or do they get fit for the shaft like one would for their irons?

2. Are most using the iron set gap wedge vs these?

I have mine with stock spinner and they have been great.

• Like 1

Anyone running these in a setup similar to:

CBX Zipcore Gap Wedge

CBX Zipcore Sand Wedge

RTX Zip Core Lob Wedge

If so, any issues with transitions going from the sand to the lob wedge? Any regret not going RTX on the sand wedge? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

2 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

CBX Zipcore Gap Wedge

CBX Zipcore Sand Wedge

RTX Zip Core Lob Wedge

If so, any issues with transitions going from the sand to the lob wedge? Any regret not going RTX on the sand wedge? Thanks in advance

The grinds are just really versatile. My thought originally was to go 50*, 54*@55, then use my Tour rack 60* full sole with heel/toe grind and trailing edge relief. After one test session with the CBX and RTX 60* I went with the CBX. It was just as versatile but just more consistent on launch, carry number, and spin. I mean lots and lots of spin…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Two questions:

1. Do most people just use the stock shaft or do they get fit for the shaft like one would for their irons?

I put the KBS Hi Rev 2.0 in mine which I like better than the spinner.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

3 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Two questions:

I have the CBX2 currently, but stock in my 58 and fitted shafts in my 50/ 54. Just helps keep gapping on point and spin where it needs to be. I used to play them stock and would say there wasn’t “too much” of a different tbh.

also to your other question…I used to play only forged blade style wedges and would consider myself a very very good wedge player. You ask me to hit a shot (drop and stop, flop, bump and run, check and stop, etc) I can do it. I was very good with my blade style wedges and I’d say I’m EVEN more dangerous with the CBX wedges. They do everything and MORE than a blade wedge. Am I perfect? Nope. But the CBX has eliminated 90%+ of my random mistakes. 

these are sleeper wedges, flat out…I tell anyone that asks…put your ego aside and try it. I can guarantee you won’t go back. I know I won’t be

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

CBX Zipcore Gap Wedge

CBX Zipcore Sand Wedge

RTX Zip Core Lob Wedge

I used to play like this and will occasionally play like this if I have specific bounce needs (firm/ dry vs wet/ spongy) but didn’t have too many issues switching it up. I will say that anytime I did put the blade style wedge into my LW spot, I’d miss having the CBX there lol

lol full set of CBX zipcores here I come I guess. Thanks for the responses boys

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Uh oh... Are there gobs and gobs of offset? I just saw a shot from address and it looks like it. Anyone confirm?

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

47 minutes ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

lol full set of CBX zipcores here I come I guess. Thanks for the responses boys

I literally won a bid for a full set of them last night 😂 my impulsivity is off the charts!

also, I wouldn’t say gobs of offset. But that’s me personally. It’s not a bladed wedge and more for the game improvement crowd, so yeah there’s offset. I don’t see it as a massive amount though as it’s never bothered me

4 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

I literally won a bid for a full set of them last night 😂 my impulsivity is off the charts!

also, I wouldn’t say gobs of offset. But that’s me personally. It’s not a bladed wedge and more for the game improvement crowd, so yeah there’s offset. I don’t see it as a massive amount though as it’s never bothered me

Thanks for weighing in, I'll see what I can do about getting my hands on them in person. Wedge play is pretty strong so may not NEED the CBX but with all the rave reviews I figure I should at least check them out. Would entertain bending them weak but the bounce is already pretty high

• Like 1

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

1 minute ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Thanks for weighing in, I'll see what I can do about getting my hands on them in person. Wedge play is pretty strong so may not NEED the CBX but with all the rave reviews I figure I should at least check them out. Would entertain bending them weak but the bounce is already pretty high

Yeah my only gripe is the bounce on them, so I do the opposite to get bounce down or just deal. Have a 60 bent to 58 for like 8 or 9 bounce I believe.

I too am a very strong wedge player and absolutely love them. For the stronger player looking for specific grinds or bounce, I’d go CBX full swing clubs (gap/ SW) and more of a bladed wedge in LW. I have all three in CBX and things are going just as good if not better than when I had bladed wedges. They are just point and shoot, it’s not fair

• Like 1

I've never understood why people complain about offset, then again I'm one of the few people on earth that don't think the VAS are ugly. I think they're an excellent wedge, the best I've ever used, granted my experience with specialized wedges is very limited, but still. I personally like that it's just the 1 grind, takes the guesswork out of it for me. I also like the idea of having it set up that you have a high bounce wedge and a low bounce wedge for different lies, so I think going with the CBX Zipcore for 54°/56° and RTX for 58°/60° is a good idea.

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I play CBX2 wedges in 54* and 60*. I am a terrible with wedges and l have no problem hitting my 54* full swing and it is terrific out of bunkers. My 60* works from many lies and l can even make flop shots when i need. If the CBX zipcore are close or improved from CBX2 wedges it will be magical and a total sleeper. 

• Like 1

I'm playing a 48* zipcore and recently got a 56 12D Vokey.

Since I only have these 2 now the 48* is seeing a lot more wedge shots. Even using a 40-50yd. low skipper with it. 

Longer chip or just any chip I want more run it's been $$. 

The Vokey is out of this world but this is a thread for Zipcore.

Literally dropped almost 2 full handicap points in last 2 rounds and these 2 wedges together had a big part in that.

• Haha 1

I picked up these CBX Zipcore wedges 52-56-60,   when i bought my Cleveland xl launcher irons back on memorial day...   and for a couple weeks i was in a funk with these wedges ( my issue, not the club )  but these wedges are pretty damn good!!!    Now i went from Vokey SM5's  ( 50/8 and a 56-12 bent to 55 and a 56-8)  i couldn't tell you the grind on them, but it didn't matter since i had been using them for years and was just use to how they played..     

the one knock i didn't like at first was that you couldn't get different grinds or bounces...     if they made the RTX Full face wedges with a graphite shaft, i would buy those..      But these Zipcore wedges are pretty damn good!!    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a used 50° with the stock DG spinner 115. For reference, my game is bomb-and-gouge, hcp approx low-teens, and wedge play is the weakest part of my game.

Full shots…the v-sole is incredibly forgiving on heavy strikes. Slightly thick shots that would subtract 10 yds with a blade wedge magically end up pin high with the CBX Zip. Truly fat shots, instead of losing 25 yds, only lose 10. Spin is also excellent despite the  condition of the club (used).

Partial shots (3/4, 1/2, etc)…similar forgiveness benefits on heavy strikes, but the difference in feel between a buttery forged blade wedge and the CBX Zip become apparent.

Chipping…I didn’t experience the “jumpiness” some folks complained about. The sole is chunky no doubt, but it only took a few minutes to adjust. V-sole again adding massive forgiveness against fat chips. Feel was harsh and prominent IMO.

Overall…the performance of this wedge is incredible. Disclaimer: I have not tested wedges extensively; only experience is the 20 y/o vokeys currently in my bag, the Kirkland wedge set, and a couple of Callaway full face models. That said…not only am I willing to trade off the loss of feel, but I’ll be looking to pick up CBX Zip’s for sand, lob, and probably even a 46° pitching wedge!

My only true wish list item would be a full face CBX Zip to replace the current offering (CBX2). Anybody know if/when that’s coming?

7 hours ago, Manhattan Project said:

My only true wish list item would be a full face CBX Zip to replace the current offering (CBX2). Anybody know if/when that’s coming?

I have been asking this same question

I don't know if the full face helps or not but I think it does so that is good enough for me

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

• 3 weeks later...

I changed all my wedges to CBX Zips about a dozen rounds ago.  Great decision. I never used to hit my lob wedge with a full swing due to consistent results when I tried. Consistently mediocre that is. The CBX Zip changed that, I have launched pin seekers over trees and at pins tucked right behind bunkers with great results.   

With all 4 CBXs in the bag I have been consistently  pulling off shots that would have been a bit of a gamble in the past. And with the added confidence comes better swings. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you are thinking about getting CBX Zips, quit thinking and start acting! 

• Like 1