2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anybody using CBX Zipcore wedges?

hammergolf

15 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Picked up my order of 54&58 yesterday. Felt ok from turf, not too great from the sand. I’ll keep trying, but may be ordering some Vokeys.

I had the 56 and it was a good "easy out" from the sand if I wanted to just hit down steeply behind the ball and blast it out with no attempt controlling distance. But I had no luck at all trying my preferred bunker technique with the face open and the clubface passing my hands at impact, varying the face angle and force of the swing to control distance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I had the 56 and it was a good "easy out" from the sand if I wanted to just hit down steeply behind the ball and blast it out with no attempt controlling distance. But I had no luck at all trying my preferred bunker technique with the face open and the clubface passing my hands at impact, varying the face angle and force of the swing to control distance. 

I would agree a very open face is harder out of a bunker with these. That was my techniques as well until these came around. No I play a virtually square face and the ball comes out just fine. I’ve been in deep bunkers too where I can’t even see the top of the flag and 58* still clears the lip. What I learned was I don’t need that open face as much as I thought I did.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

1 hour ago, gator022 said:

I would agree a very open face is harder out of a bunker with these. That was my techniques as well until these came around. No I play a virtually square face and the ball comes out just fine. I’ve been in deep bunkers too where I can’t even see the top of the flag and 58* still clears the lip. What I learned was I don’t need that open face as much as I thought I did.

I’ll give that a try. I was opening the face, and it seemed like the club was skipping rather than going through the sand. Still kind of questionable changing my technique to fit a club.

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I’ll give that a try. I was opening the face, and it seemed like the club was skipping rather than going through the sand. Still kind of questionable changing my technique to fit a club.

Give it a whirl.  I'm pretty sure it's a bounce and wide sole thing in conjunction with the sand firmness of the bunker.  The courses I play I was always opening the blade on my wedge and I'd hit the ball a lot.  Opening up the club added too munch bounce for the conditions I was in.  I tried it with the CBX Zip and my T22's.  Same result with a higher bounce wedge which led me to squarer face.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Just try not opening the face as much. With the grind that’s on the lob wedges, it adds more bounce as you open the face. Once I made that slight adjustment, it made it as good a bunker club I’ve used since the Eye2.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 11:34 PM, caniac6 said:

I'm not a great, or even good, bunker player. Like most here I use a similar open the face technique.

But after a particularly costly episode the other day sent my round from -2 to +2  in one bunker I decided to give the CBX Zipcore a try. 

At half the price of a Vokey or Glide it seemed worth a try.

Like yourself, opening the face was a failure.

But I recalled something I read here and tried using a square face with simple straight through swing.

Bingo. 

I assume you're trying the CBX because you are unconvinced by your current wedge.

Go with what works.

Given my old technique was less than reliable, I have no issue trying a different technique.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

FWIW, I use the original CBX's in 50 and 54. Great on the turf, bad on the sand, and not a big fan of them for chipping either. I primarily use my JAWS Full Toe for chipping and sand shots, which works much better. It might be a scenario where you have a 50/52/54 CBX for full and partial shots and a 58 in a different brand for sand.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 54, 60

Cobra King Agera

• 3 weeks later...

So my wedge finally came in and I got a chance to go out and hit it

I have the 54* and this is the 58*

It has the stock shaft in it, the Dynamic Gold spinner shaft

The 58* is just like the 54* in the weight, a heavy head which I like in a wedge

Out of the sand it was automatic, very easy

As with chipping.  The ground was wet from some rain and it was hard to get some spin on the ball but a few shots did check up real nice.

The only problem I am having is with full shots or 3/4 shots , in that they are flying too far and messing up my gapping.

Makes me think I should have gotten a 60* wedge instead of a 58* (when the dark finish comes out it will give me a reason to get it)

I guess that is a good problem to have 

I would say an improvement over the CBX2, but if you like a lighter head, stick with the CBX2

Will actually put it in play this weekend 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

6 hours ago, scott406 said:

So my wedge finally came in and I got a chance to go out and hit it

I have the 54* and this is the 58*

It has the stock shaft in it, the Dynamic Gold spinner shaft

The 58* is just like the 54* in the weight, a heavy head which I like in a wedge

Out of the sand it was automatic, very easy

As with chipping.  The ground was wet from some rain and it was hard to get some spin on the ball but a few shots did check up real nice.

The only problem I am having is with full shots or 3/4 shots , in that they are flying too far and messing up my gapping.

Makes me think I should have gotten a 60* wedge instead of a 58* (when the dark finish comes out it will give me a reason to get it)

I guess that is a good problem to have 

I would say an improvement over the CBX2, but if you like a lighter head, stick with the CBX2

Will actually put it in play this weekend 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One thing to add, new wedges will tend to always fly a touch further when the faces are fresh. The additional grip leads to a lower peak height and a few more yards than what we are used to. I always try to spend a good practice session in the bunkers and the range with new wedges to smooth the face a little.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Too big and a hair overrated imo. Tried to like them, had the 54, 58, and 56. Been playing golf for 25+ years, and played the original cleveland classic wedges, but basically have been a PING wedge guy for most of my time playing golf. My favorites include the Zing and Zing 2 wedges (from the iron set), the EYE2+ (not the original), the M/B, and the Glide Original ES grind. Still carry the 58 ES Glide in NJ and my bag in FL (bent to 60), but what I am now hitting of all things, is the i25 U, S, and L, at 1 degree strong at 49, 53, 57, with PX LZ 5.5 8 iron shafts. Have been in this set-up for a few years now, and the i25's look soooo much better than the CBX, with what I would call equal if not even more forgiveness around the green/bunkers, and awesome on full shots (where I feel the CBX performed terribly, the DG 115 spinner was too soft and went left).

Edited by mikec3672

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 5:08 PM, jarediogolf said:

Dang it guys. You made me buy a 54 

Just as a follow up on this, I ended up putting the Mizuno wedges back in the bag. I still think the 44* 48* CBX Zipcores are the perfect PW and GW replacements (1/2, 3/4, and full swings). 
But the 54* just wasn’t as good for feel shots and bunker shots. 

Anyone interested in taking my 54* in exchange for a 52*?

Edited by jarediogolf

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been playing Zipcores 54-10 and 58-6 with the DG Spinners for the past year or so. I picked up a CBX Zipcore 54* with Catalyst 80 and it’s terrific… so much better for me with full swings.

I like it so much I just ordered a matching 58*, but I’m still going to keep my 58-6 for courses with a lot of hard pan and/or firm conditions.

As good as the cavity back wedges are, a low bounce wedge option can be like waving a magic wand on the right type of course.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

7 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I’ve been playing Zipcores 54-10 and 58-6 with the DG Spinners for the past year or so. I picked up a CBX Zipcore 54* with Catalyst 80 and it’s terrific… so much better for me with full swings.

I like it so much I just ordered a matching 58*, but I’m still going to keep my 58-6 for courses with a lot of hard pan and/or firm conditions.

As good as the cavity back wedges are, a low bounce wedge option can be like waving a magic wand on the right type of course.

Oh well, just got an email saying Cleveland is out of LH 58* heads…

hopefully one pops up somewhere with the Catalyst 80 shaft.

so far my Google search has come up empty. 😢

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• 4 weeks later...

I am a club fitter and have sold so many of these to all types of golfers. Ive just got a set of Z-Forged II irons 4-9 iron and was deciding between RTX6 and just thought id try the CBX and had to go for one in a 46 to match my irons. got TM HiToe3 50,56,60 but this as a PW has been brilliant. and similar sole grind to the VT sole on the srixon/cleveland irons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, j-daniel said:

I am a club fitter and have sold so many of these to all types of golfers. Ive just got a set of Z-Forged II irons 4-9 iron and was deciding between RTX6 and just thought id try the CBX and had to go for one in a 46 to match my irons. got TM HiToe3 50,56,60 but this as a PW has been brilliant. and similar sole grind to the VT sole on the srixon/cleveland irons.

Agree with you. I preferred the Z7’s to the ZX5’s, but still love the CBX’s.

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Cobra King Agera

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2023 at 6:42 PM, john myrbch said:

Oh well, just got an email saying Cleveland is out of LH 58* heads…

hopefully one pops up somewhere with the Catalyst 80 shaft.

so far my Google search has come up empty. 😢

What shafts do you normally play in your irons and wedges?  How do you like the Catalyst 80?  Any other comparisons to other graphite shafts?

On 9/18/2023 at 7:23 PM, Thornbrugh said:

I believe the CBX Zipcores were released or announced in December 2021 and historically the refresh cycle has been ~2 years, so has anyone heard anything about CBX Zipcore2 (not Full-face2)? 

Zipcore 4 is shipping next week.  I'm hoping it will bring a price reduction on the Full Face 2.  I have several OG Full Face CBX and love them but I waited too long to get a 56 graphite, they are no longer available.

I'm at a point where even my wedges need to be graphite due to elbow tendonitis.  I suppose I could buy a closeout Full Face CBX 56* with a steel shaft and change it out, they are cheap enough and I have a few Catalyst 80 shafts laying around. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

23 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Zipcore 4 is shipping next week.  I'm hoping it will bring a price reduction on the Full Face 2.  I have several OG Full Face CBX and love them but I waited too long to get a 56 graphite, they are no longer available.

I'm at a point where even my wedges need to be graphite due to elbow tendonitis.  I suppose I could buy a closeout Full Face CBX 56* with a steel shaft and change it out, they are cheap enough and I have a few Catalyst 80 shafts laying around. 

Just buy some from 3Balls. They have an additional 15% so the prices are better than most.  Looks like they have a ton to sell in steel or graphite.

IMG_4849.png.06024b62539c8a2fb5451f2ac522a936.pngIMG_4850.png.dc478c7b2963d7d2bf68ac67014b79a5.png

IMG_4851.png.ad21e602b69d00247efaca65cdc92745.pngIMG_4852.png.0c809f3284288ec576abb7922340143c.pngYou 

Edited by Radeon962
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Radeon962 said:

Just buy some from 3Balls. They have an additional 15% so the prices are better than most.  Looks like they have a ton to sell in steel or graphite.

IMG_4849.png.06024b62539c8a2fb5451f2ac522a936.pngIMG_4850.png.dc478c7b2963d7d2bf68ac67014b79a5.png

IMG_4851.png.ad21e602b69d00247efaca65cdc92745.pngIMG_4852.png.0c809f3284288ec576abb7922340143c.pngYou 

I had forgotten all about 3 balls!  Thanks.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 hours ago, Volinky said:

CBX wedges didnt work for me, I'm not sure if it is the large sole or what. Shots from the rough or fairway were ok, but in the sand I always found it difficult to open them up to play out. New series looks decent - which reminds me... I need to sell these others. 

My recommendation to someone would be to use a different specialty wedge for the lob and use that out of the sand. I think the CBX works extremely well between 50-56, but I also didn't love the 46 either.

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Cobra King Agera

1 hour ago, POKeefe said:

My recommendation to someone would be to use a different specialty wedge for the lob and use that out of the sand. I think the CBX works extremely well between 50-56, but I also didn't love the 46 either.

Thats what I do. 50 and 54 cbx zipcore and 58 vokey. I pretty much only use 58 for sand. Maybe the occasional 70 yard shot

On 1/19/2024 at 7:11 PM, jmevox said:

Thats what I do. 50 and 54 cbx zipcore and 58 vokey. I pretty much only use 58 for sand. Maybe the occasional 70 yard shot

Similar to you, I use a JAWS Full Face 58 for chipping and sand shots. It has a ton of spin and is excellent for those types of shots. The Zipcore is nice for fluffy lies and otherwise situations where you might want some forgiveness. I would say for anyone over a 10 handicap that a set 44-46, CBX 50 and 54, and specialty 58 would be the best combo.

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Cobra King Agera

I have 48* I love. I'm switching to irons with a 46* PW though so might lose it. I might get the 50*. 

Great wedge and I had no trouble opening it up a bit. I used to hit a lot of crazy shots practicing with it. 

Flop

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm36UFCBpbN/?igsh=MWJicWtwcGpoajVsaA==

Knockdown 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmXSSZGp6pa/?igsh=MXNzMGZlMGMyOWFqaQ==