2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anybody using CBX Zipcore wedges?

hammergolf

I have cbx2. Bought cbx zipcore as thought they looked better. But few weeks later sold them and put cbx2 back in the bag. Cbx2 are bigger and more forgiving for my limited wedge ability. they spin as much as any wedge I’ve ever hit.

I struggle out of bunker with cbx2 though so I only carry 50 and 54 cbx2 and use a different 58.

3 hours ago, Maluka said:

I have cbx2. Bought cbx zipcore as thought they looked better. But few weeks later sold them and put cbx2 back in the bag. Cbx2 are bigger and more forgiving for my limited wedge ability. they spin as much as any wedge I’ve ever hit.

I struggle out of bunker with cbx2 though so I only carry 50 and 54 cbx2 and use a different 58.

i go back and forth which one i like more. I have a 54 cbx 2 and a 50 zipcore. Both have their uses but the cbx 2 seems to be more reliable 

14 hours ago, Maluka said:

I went with a Rtx 60 for the sand.... That club is golden for me

We have fairly hard sand in my area and it cuts through it like butter

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if the CBXs are on a 2 year refresh cycle alternating with the RTXs? So RTX refresh is 2023, so we won't see the next CBX refresh until 2024? I noticed that the CBX full-face is no longer on the Cleveland site....anyone know if this model has been discontinued or perhaps we will see a refresh this year? Apologies if this was already covered in a thread and I missed it. 

Do these wedges seem really hot on full shots to anyone else? I wanted to try out a 5 wedge setup this year, so I just bought the CBX's in 56/52/48 to fill the gap between my 60 degree wedge and my 45 degree set PW. I'm getting about 25 yards more carry distance with a full swing 56 than my full swing 60 (PXG 0311 forged wedge), and my 48 degree wedge carries about 5 yards FURTHER than my 45 degree PW (PXG Gen3 P). This is all according to my Bushnell Launch Pro monitor. Multiple consistent shots hit during this gapping session too, not just a one-off flier.

The cavity back seemed really ideal for full shots (specifically with the 52 and 48), but i'm wondering if they are just too hot to be able to blend in with other wedges.

Finally

1/25 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnj2Kn4rNdJ/

Edited by scott406

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, chaz matazz said:

the 56 performs great.  the 50 on full swings seems to go to the left. 

Check the lie angle…

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I have the 44* and 48* CBX Zipcore. 
I like hitting partial shots with my PW and GW and these do the job better than a set wedge.
They have better touch on chips. 
They are longer than the PW/AW they replaced. They seem more forgiving on the face, and the sole is definitely more forgiving. 

Really great clubs. I’m so happy they make a 44*. 
If I didn’t like my Mizuno 54* I’d buy another CBX Zipcore. I still might 🤔

• Like 1

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

Dang it guys. You made me buy a 54 

2 Ball Blade

54 minutes ago, jarediogolf said:

Dang it guys. You made me buy a 54 

You won’t regret it.

Replaced my Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 with a CBX zipcore with graphite shaft last week. Through two rounds I’d say it is better on full shot mishits and has performed really well. I’d say center strikes or close to center strikes felt better with my Glides. Some mishits full and around the green feel/sound more clonky too.  But, performance wise I feel like the CBX  seems like an upgrade for me so far. I’m happy with the choice. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Replaced my Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 with a CBX zipcore with graphite shaft last week. Through two rounds I’d say it is better on full shot mishits and has performed really well. I’d say center strikes or close to center strikes felt better with my Glides. Some mishits full and around the green feel/sound more clonky too.  But, performance wise I feel like the CBX  seems like an upgrade for me so far. I’m happy with the choice. 

Good to know. I’m still kicking around buying a glide 54 and selling the loser. I do like the sole on the 44 & 48. Let’s see how the 54 plays. 

• Like 1

2 Ball Blade

11 hours ago, jarediogolf said:

Good to know. I’m still kicking around buying a glide 54 and selling the loser. I do like the sole on the 44 & 48. Let’s see how the 54 plays. 

Cleveland nailed the “s” grind on the CBX Zipcore. It’s plays the same as the 44* and 48* in the square position, but has a heel grind that lets you open the face from bunkers or rough with ease.

• Like 1

I played blade wedges since starting golf in the 90s, and still can play whatever blade wedge just fine.  Went into Cleveland 588 RTX CBs and really liked them.  Then went to OG CBXs and liked them even better, even though they only had the dual V grinds.  CBX Zipcore with the S and C grinds are my favorite so far.  TBH, I may shoot the same with blades or the CBX Zips - definitely more Indian than arrow.  Probably good shots are pretty much the same, but not so good shots are not as bad, so that might add up over time.  But there's a confidence that I have with these that, as someone that doesn't play that much, I wouldn't trade.

What I like is that it's more of a step change than say going from a Vokey to an RTX blade... probably not much in there.  Go to a CBX, and you're more likely to see a bit of difference.  CBX Zips look pretty good for a "friendlier" CB wedge, but they're still short of going to a Smart Sole.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

This is my 6th full season golfing. I started with the CBX then went to CBX2 and didn’t notice much difference then this year I’m into the CBX Zipcores and they feel and perform fantastically. Going from Cleveland UHX irons into Srixon ZX5s my set didn’t come with a gap wedge so I went with the CBX Zipcores at 48 adding to my usual 54 and 58 degree wedges. I use my 54 most on chips then to my 48 if I want it to run out more and primarily use my 58 for bunkers only unless I’m really in a bad spot lol

Titleist TSR2 9*

Ping G430 3w & 5w

Ping   22* & 26* G430 Hybrids

Srixon ZX5 6i-PW, CBX Zipcore 48*,  54* & 58*

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S

Srixon Z-Star

Shotscope X5

Ping Hoofer 14 Way

QOD Motorized Pushcart & Clicgear Model 8

After a brief dalliance with a 56/60 CBX Zipcore combination I moved them along and am sticking with Vokeys like I've mostly used in the past.

I will say this, it's hard to imagine a better set of wedges than CBX Zipcore to use when you're really struggling from the fairway or out of bunkers. The older model Callaway Sure-Out is probably the only thing close and the CBX Zipcore worked better for me. 

The thing I couldn't get past was my difficulty in playing shots with anything other than a square or almost-square clubface. I know they have interestingly relieved sole grinds that LOOK like they'd facilitate manipulating the face but for whatever reason I just could not make it work. A couple months ago I went through a phase where every wedge shot was a disaster waiting to happen. The CBX Zipcores were no-brainer easy, just play everything in the middle of my stance with a square clubface and swing 'em like a short iron or PW. Really high from any lie, either straight or a slight pull, a little less distance than I'd expect for the loft. 

But they were a one-trick pony (for me) and that's all I could do with them. They were also no-brainer easy for getting the ball out of bunkers, always a problem area in my game, but with a Vokey or similar I can vary how much I open the face and how hard I swing and have some semblance of control over distance. The CBX Zipcores just tended to send every bunker shot out fairly high but a little "hot" and I was kind of at a loss when I was only 8-10 yards from the flag and wanted to stop the ball without running well past the hole. Even with the 60-degree. 

I ended up selling them but was sort of tempted to keep them in the closet with a "Break Glass In Case Of Emergency" sign. When wedge and bunker shots are costing multiple strokes per round I guess it might be nice to pull those out and just simplify everything for a while until I can practice my way out of it. But my problem was, I can't really practice my normal variety of wedge-game shots with the CBX Zipcore. So I decided to move on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was playing a Mizuno S23 54.  It's a great club and good around the green and in bunkers but I was losing confidence on full swing 105-110 yard shots.   Not quite getting the distance I needed which led to me swinging to hard and mishitting it.  

Went to try out CBX Zipcore and CBX2 - ended up preferring the look and feel of the CBX2 and it was obviously quite a bit cheaper.   Played 2 rounds with it and it's so much easier than the S23.  It's also good around the greens.  Have not tried it out of the bunker yet.  Tempted to buy a 58 or 60 deg...

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

On 7/26/2023 at 3:54 PM, MyShortGameSucks said:

Was playing a Mizuno S23 54.  It's a great club and good around the green and in bunkers but I was losing confidence on full swing 105-110 yard shots.   Not quite getting the distance I needed which led to me swinging to hard and mishitting it.  

Went to try out CBX Zipcore and CBX2 - ended up preferring the look and feel of the CBX2 and it was obviously quite a bit cheaper.   Played 2 rounds with it and it's so much easier than the S23.  It's also good around the greens.  Have not tried it out of the bunker yet.  Tempted to buy a 58 or 60 deg...

The 58 is almost idiot proof out of bunkers. I can hit any shot with mine. You know they’re good when it’s the wedge you find you want to use the most. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

The 58 is almost idiot proof out of bunkers. I can hit any shot with mine. You know they’re good when it’s the wedge you find you want to use the most. 

Haha it really is! I’m trying a set and the looks are ehhhhh compared to my T22’s. But holy heck @hammergolf is onto something. These really are like cheating.  Took mine today to get Recoils pulled from other wedges and put into 50-54-58 CBX Zips.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

19 minutes ago, gator022 said:

Haha it really is! I’m trying a set and the looks are ehhhhh compared to my T22’s. But holy heck @hammergolf is onto something. These really are like cheating.  Took mine today to get Recoils pulled from other wedges and put into 50-54-58 CBX Zips.

I agree they do look big. They’re not gorgeous, but they look acceptable. But they play surprisingly nimble. They have considerable relief in the heel and toe. Flop shots are no problem.

I wouldn’t play a wedge this size at all 3 spots but having at least one is like a get out of jail free card. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I agree they do look big. They’re not gorgeous, but they look acceptable. But they play surprisingly nimble. They have considerable relief in the heel and toe. Flop shots are no problem.

I wouldn’t play a wedge this size at all 3 spots but having at least one is like a get out of jail free card. 

Thanks for the info.  To be honest bunkers and short sided recovery shots are the only reason I have the SM9 Vokey 60 K.  If a 58 or 60 CBX is close to as good as the Vokey for those them I'll swap it in as I bet it gives me some additional options on short approach shots as well. 

Do you suggest CBX2 or CBX Zipcore for the 58/60?  I have CBX2 in 54 and like the black color but not sure if sole grind is different between the versions?

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I really enjoy my CBX Zipcores and believe they suit a lot of golfers.

I have owned two sets and learned that I definitely prefer modus wedge shafts over the DG spinner. Not to say the DG spinner is bad, just personal preference. 

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB

16 minutes ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

Thanks for the info.  To be honest bunkers and short sided recovery shots are the only reason I have the SM9 Vokey 60 K.  If a 58 or 60 CBX is close to as good as the Vokey for those them I'll swap it in as I bet it gives me some additional options on short approach shots as well. 

Do you suggest CBX2 or CBX Zipcore for the 58/60?  I have CBX2 in 54 and like the black color but not sure if sole grind is different between the versions?

I don’t know if there is a grind difference. Others can chime in. I had the CBX2 58 and sold it and regretted it and when I bought the new 58 the CBX Zipcores were out by then so I got that one. I was happy with the CBX2, I am happy with the CBX Zipcore. I haven’t noticed any difference really. They play very similar. On green side bunkers I open it up quite a bit and accelerate through the shot without a big back swing and the ball pops right up. On wet sand I go right under the ball no problem. They don’t bounce up, very good at skimming through sand if you open them so the leading edge does not dig. 

• Like 2